Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 29 Mar 2000, 18:28 (Ref:10908)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
During the American broadcast of the Brazilian GP, much was made about the Heads Up Display that Ferrari had introduced to their driver's helmets instead of using the standard telltale lamps and digital displays on the steering wheel. Does anyone have any more info on this system and its implementation. Was the info projected directly onto the visor or was a series of lamps added just inside the helmet on the edge of vision?
Old 29 Mar 2000, 19:09 (Ref:10909)   #2
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team Lotus used this system years ago. It was based on jet fighter technology and the information was projected onto the driver's visor.
Old 30 Mar 2000, 00:59 (Ref:10910)   #3
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Schumacher used a row of rev-LED's in the his helmet already last year. Just in his sight they appeared as little flashes, not disturbing or taking away attention off the track but just enough to know where his revs where going.

This year both Ferrari-driver use helmets wich feature two boxes placed left and right of the chin. I am searching every where I can to find out what they do but I haven't found the answer yet.
Some sources guess it's a voice controlled operating system, others mention some sort of head up display.

The problem with a head up display is that it has to be projected onto something transparent in the sight of vision.
I don't think the usual visor of the helmet is suited for that and it doesn't seem to be changed by both Ferrari-drivers.
I more or less expect them to use a little piece of transparent material placed in front of one eye, just like Apache-pilots have this little green square piece of glass attached to their helmets.

Off to search some pics to clearify my miserable English visually ...

Regards,

Dino IV
Old 30 Mar 2000, 13:13 (Ref:10911)   #4
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks guys. BTW, your English is just fine Dino IV.
Old 31 Mar 2000, 12:36 (Ref:10912)   #5
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At least one of those boxes is probably because of the radio which is now in the helmet and not attached to the car at all as it used to be.
Old 25 Apr 2000, 23:10 (Ref:10913)   #6
Thomas
Rookie

Thomas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,

Check:
http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/F1Mech/2000articles.htm

Here's refered to the history of HUD in racing and the latest Ferrari answers to it. It seems that it was banned then; does anybody knows more about this?

GreetZ,

Thomas

Old 9 May 2000, 00:14 (Ref:10914)   #7
DJ
Rookie

DJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just had a look at the article. The Frazer Nash system looks like it could be a huge annoyance to the drivers. As for Schumcher's helmet, I think the bulges are to protect his overdeveloped chin...