Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 4 Jan 2008, 22:43 (Ref:2099559)   #1
irvinefan
Rookie

irvinefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tomas Scheckter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pErV6ux-O5Y

Saw this video, and reliased there has been no news on Scheckter for next year - anyone know anything?
Old 4 Jan 2008, 22:57 (Ref:2099573)   #2
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
welcome to the forum irvinefan, i also don't know about scheckter, i assume he won't be with vision this year?
Old 4 Jan 2008, 23:24 (Ref:2099595)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
why is that Luke ?

I dont know any different , but he did pretty well for Vision but Im not sure whats happeneing there , was there some kind of problem between the two ?
Old 5 Jan 2008, 00:47 (Ref:2099628)   #4
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When Curt Cavein of the indy star spoke to him recently he had nothing yet.
Old 7 Jan 2008, 06:57 (Ref:2101029)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
why is that Luke ?

I dont know any different , but he did pretty well for Vision but Im not sure whats happeneing there , was there some kind of problem between the two ?
I seem to remember on the international broadcasts the commentators mentioning a number of times that Vision were expected to drop down from a 3 division to 2 or less and I believe it was Scheckter who is expected to get the kick? IMO from what I heard I expect Vision to have 2 cars this year but I haven't heard anything since...just what i heard during the last few years of the year.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 10:53 (Ref:2101737)   #6
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I was just wondering how many years are in a year...some years have seemed awful long to me! But yes, I believe I head that he would not be with Vision either in 2008.

He is a guy who I don't think we have seen the best from yet. Haven't figured out if it is the teams he has been with or him or both...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 13:10 (Ref:2101830)   #7
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be fair I think we have seen the best of Tomas and that's not meant to be a criticism of the guy. He was very very quick in his first two years in the series but couldn't keep it away from the walls enough - then in 05 he was again quick but in the wrong car.

He's been clearly the best of a not-great bunch at Vision, but still was beaten by Buddy Rice who one would think had lesser machinery and isn't exactly a thrilling racer either.

Last edited by Mystery; 8 Jan 2008 at 13:14.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 21:27 (Ref:2102163)   #8
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
I believe I heard that he would not be with Vision either in 2008.
This wouldnt be a case of a team getting rid of a talented driver, whilst keeping the lesser performing driver because of family ties to the owner would it ?
Old 9 Jan 2008, 04:06 (Ref:2102324)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schekter's not bad (he was the best Vision had last year), but after 6 seasons he really should have done more than he has, particularly at Panther in 2004.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 04:48 (Ref:2102336)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have followed his career from the beginning and was never really impressed. If it hadn't been for his last name we would have never heard of him.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 09:12 (Ref:2102406)   #11
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I’m not a massive Sheckter fan

He broke into the scene at Cheever and crashed a lot, did the same at Ganassi

He did ok at Panther but in 06 at Vision he was out paced by Carpenter at the back end of the season

He was the best of the Vision drivers last season but twice Foyt IV was taken out in other people’s crashes and he actually got the teams best result of 3rd

Carpenter took a step back last season imo, after showing improving previously

I watched a programme on Joost about Vision Racing and the team is very much built around Carpenter, he has his own huge office and drinks machines and everything

It’s a case of get Carpenter’s car sorted and then see what else can get
Old 9 Jan 2008, 11:11 (Ref:2102484)   #12
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
This wouldnt be a case of a team getting rid of a talented driver, whilst keeping the lesser performing driver because of family ties to the owner would it ?

Really, ya think? Getting dangerously off-topic here though as we are discussing where he might end up rather than where he was...

To be honest, I am not sure if he is or is not a lot better than Carpenter - or anyone else. His results have been rather mixed. He may not end up anywhere in CIRCL, which I see as neither a good thing nor a bad thing. He may actually be like a less talented Kevin Cogan: fast at times but inconsistent. Probably not a good analogy though as Cogan was wicked quick...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 12:52 (Ref:2102536)   #13
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Probably not a good analogy though as Cogan was wicked quick...
I think it's an excellent analogy. TS was wicked quick. He just isn't quite that quick anymore.
Old 12 Jan 2008, 07:35 (Ref:2104586)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Really, ya think? Getting dangerously off-topic here though as we are discussing where he might end up rather than where he was...
The notion that he has been dropped from his current team, whilst his team mate retains his drive because of his last name is absolutely is related to what his OW future is.

Quote:
To be honest, I am not sure if he is or is not a lot better than Carpenter
Untill Carpenter dominates the first half of the Indy 500 like Tomas did in 02, was it ?, I am going to say he has more talent.

It would be disappointing for Sheckter
Old 12 Jan 2008, 12:18 (Ref:2104684)   #15
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
I have followed his career from the beginning and was never really impressed. If it hadn't been for his last name we would have never heard of him.
I don't know... he hasn't accomplished a massive amount in the US, but he was quick in F3000, an Opel Euroseries champion and was a regular tester for Jaguar's grand prix team, until an alleged incident with a lady of questionable virtue put paid to any F1 ambitions...

There were stories linking him to AGR as Dario's replacement weren't there? Obviously now Mutoh has signed these have evaporated.

Last edited by nycuk; 12 Jan 2008 at 12:22.
Old 12 Jan 2008, 15:54 (Ref:2104781)   #16
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycuk
I don't know... he hasn't accomplished a massive amount in the US, but he was quick in F3000, an Opel Euroseries champion and was a regular tester for Jaguar's grand prix team, until an alleged incident with a lady of questionable virtue put paid to any F1 ambitions...

There were stories linking him to AGR as Dario's replacement weren't there? Obviously now Mutoh has signed these have evaporated.
I remember hearing years ago the Jag team wasn't impressed with his testing skills and didn't want him anyone. Picking up the ho on the street was the excuse to drop him.
Old 15 Jan 2008, 14:20 (Ref:2106703)   #17
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
I remember hearing years ago the Jag team wasn't impressed with his testing skills and didn't want him anyone. Picking up the ho on the street was the excuse to drop him.
Spot on - being of dubious morals on occasion hasn't done Mr Raikkonen any harm.
Old 15 Jan 2008, 21:33 (Ref:2106888)   #18
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a little story for you Scheckter fans. During the holidays Tomas was supposed to go to Europe or South Africa to spend the holidays but lost his passport. He spent the holidays here in Indianapolis. But of course he found his passport just as soon as the holidays were over.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 12:38 (Ref:2107254)   #19
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
According to Curt Cavin's blog there is still a chance he may end up back at Vision in 2008
Old 20 Jan 2008, 00:40 (Ref:2109634)   #20
D.R.T.
Veteran

As an addition to the car count or at the expense of ... ?

Is Carpentier the only confirmed Vision driver?
Old 20 Jan 2008, 01:20 (Ref:2109654)   #21
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Carpentier confimed at Vision!!!

hell above men! i thought his deal at Gillet Evernham was rock solid!

still, Ed and Patrick should make a solid, balanced team for 08!

and Vision are just waiting on the ink to dry on the IV's contract
Old 21 Jan 2008, 08:13 (Ref:2110341)   #22
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Am I missing something here? Carpenter is at Vision - Carpentier is driving the #10 NASCAR - what changed??
Old 21 Jan 2008, 08:52 (Ref:2110360)   #23
D.R.T.
Veteran

Nothing but a mispelling
Old 21 Jan 2008, 08:59 (Ref:2110365)   #24
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Nothing but a mispelling
Ok - that's fine then. As you were....