Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 7 May 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2876453)   #151
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The biggest let downs from this new series?
More of the 2 cars only stuff. Yeah sure you can slap other bodies on them, but will that happen?

Formula racing. Same cars etc = boring

WTF with all cars having the same engine?? Crazy.

What does the NZ public like most in racing cars? V8s and wild machines.
OSCA etc always has been, and always will be NO1 to the kiwi fans.
Imagine what could happen if they made that Tier 1 and gave it TV coverage...
We want to see things banged together in a guys shed and making a heap of noise.
Having said that the really popular classes around seem to be Sports Sedans type ,EVOs vs KE70 Corollas etc.
Old 8 May 2011, 01:25 (Ref:2876528)   #152
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Testing seemed to go very well...

Appears to be an improvement over current cars in the class.. if they all come from the same maker, conceptually the drivers will start off on an equal footing, with tuning and testing the difference.

Will there be other brands in the series? Who knows, but JMac seemed to get out of a Holden and didnt puke everywhere
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 8 May 2011, 06:37 (Ref:2876576)   #153
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
JMac has raced in Holdens before in NZV8 and TraNZam Lights
Old 9 May 2011, 20:57 (Ref:2877747)   #154
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clip here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFWHQ55b2Ew
Old 10 May 2011, 05:19 (Ref:2877874)   #155
StraightLine
Rookie

StraightLine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
The biggest let downs from this new series?
More of the 2 cars only stuff. Yeah sure you can slap other bodies on them, but will that happen?

Formula racing. Same cars etc = boring

WTF with all cars having the same engine?? Crazy.

What does the NZ public like most in racing cars? V8s and wild machines.
OSCA etc always has been, and always will be NO1 to the kiwi fans.
Imagine what could happen if they made that Tier 1 and gave it TV coverage...
We want to see things banged together in a guys shed and making a heap of noise.
Having said that the really popular classes around seem to be Sports Sedans type ,EVOs vs KE70 Corollas etc.
From what I understand Motorsport NZ are going to run an open saloon car class at all of the Tier 1 meetings giving an an opportunity of all of the fastest saloon cars in the country to race in front of a crowd and with TV. This will be awesome V8s Transams,Evos,Porsches,V8 Supercars all in together and what ever else wants to run. This is what people want to see and not another one make series of 16 cars!

Last edited by StraightLine; 10 May 2011 at 05:21. Reason: spelling
Old 10 May 2011, 06:15 (Ref:2877883)   #156
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
haven't we already got a class like that? GTRNZ
Old 10 May 2011, 11:55 (Ref:2878036)   #157
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog View Post
Like a one stop shop? No surprises there really. As long as they are sensible in their pricing I suppose. Nothing like belonging to a series and getting raped everytime you need to buy something because it is all "control parts" Will be interesting to see how their parts prices compare. By buying in bulk they should be able to negotiate a decent discount, and hopefully will pass some of this on to the competitors.

Doubt it.
1/2 the reason for control parts is to keep them all the same,
and 1/2 the reason is so that the organisers can make a lot of money from them.
Pretty much the way all the other categories in the summer series are run.
Buy you bits here at retail + $$$
Probably 1/2 the reason the current NZV8's are so dear to maintain.
Old 10 May 2011, 11:59 (Ref:2878040)   #158
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightLine View Post
From what I understand Motorsport NZ are going to run an open saloon car class at all of the Tier 1 meetings giving an an opportunity of all of the fastest saloon cars in the country to race in front of a crowd and with TV. This will be awesome V8s Transams,Evos,Porsches,V8 Supercars all in together and what ever else wants to run. This is what people want to see and not another one make series of 16 cars!
Haven't heard that, and have that's what they have been needing for years at the Tier 1 event.
A few years back our class has the opportuntunity to run at a Tier1 event. We were given 3 weeks notice before the race weekend and fronted up with nearly 30 cars on the grid.

From what I do hear a similar thing is happening at the supertourer rounds,
but they are laptime limited. i.e. only cars between xxx and xxx laptimes,
a lot slower than the new supertourers will be.
Old 17 May 2011, 22:34 (Ref:2881888)   #159
Speedwayracer44
Rookie

Speedwayracer44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this is the stance these guys are taking then what a load of horese $#!*

Super Tourers dont need to lower their mentality to V8SC standards with this, its about entertainment and if you dont supply it dont expect people to be at the gate with money in their hands. Didnt this happen in recent times with NZV8 and Utes?

With all the crap surfacing with NZV8 and NZST the last thing NZ needs is to start picking your crowds, you dont have 20m people to pull from. I thoroughly enjoyed the Suzuki's because it was entertaining and look what happened here in at the opening round in the weekend at Mallala, 7 cars? I also here GT3 is out in NZ, couple years ago it happened here now its reborn.
Old 18 May 2011, 03:19 (Ref:2881940)   #160
dub
Rookie

dub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really controlled laptimes for the other classes? Based on the shakedown performance at Hampton Down, I don't think there would be any need or want to do this. V8 Supertourer's problem as I see it is slowing them down enough so they down embarrass V8 Supercars, otherwise they in turn may not get invited to a V8 Supercar event. If the GT1 boys want to go and support the Supertourers, (God Bless Trans-Am's) would they be getting told to slow down, I don't think so myself.
Old 18 May 2011, 09:32 (Ref:2882036)   #161
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
since there isn't a Supercar round at Hampton Downs.. i don't think the aussies have anything to worry about
Old 18 May 2011, 20:48 (Ref:2882331)   #162
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
MarioNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh..This is what I love about online forums. Everyone jumps to attention and starts releasing the safety on their pistols because someone says "From what I hear........?

Yes, it's a ridiculous notion that any class should worry about or attempt to control the laptimes of support categories, spectators can't tell a few seconds here and there - hell, a TRS car doesn't look much 'faster' on track to me than an NZV8 but it is 7+ seconds faster at some tracks!! - I digress, the point being that the idea to control laptimes is silly but what's sillier(?) is everyone leaping into condemnation mode because of a 'word on the street' post from some dude with 4 posts in 2 years?

Summation - I don't like the idea suggested but I will reserve judgement until there are facts to judge, what I'd be more interested in is some real detail (i.e. from the series itself) as to the event structure, actual support classes being considered/confirmed etc, can anyone help with that?

Whoa!!....must've had too much coffee this morning!

Last edited by MarioNZ; 18 May 2011 at 20:52. Reason: devastatingly poor grammar
Old 18 May 2011, 20:50 (Ref:2882334)   #163
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
And yes, I know my activity on here over the last 2 years has only been slightly more than DX20VT's...............so feel free to believe absolutely everything I say!
Old 19 May 2011, 00:50 (Ref:2882421)   #164
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this has been a whole lot of misinterpretation of the original post regarding lap times. I believe DX20VT was referring to the support class having the restricted lap times, not the SuperTourers. Nothing to see here, move along
Old 19 May 2011, 01:46 (Ref:2882425)   #165
Rugz
Rookie

New Zealand
West Auckland
Rugz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioNZ View Post

Summation - I don't like the idea suggested but I will reserve judgement until there are facts to judge, what I'd be more interested in is some real detail (i.e. from the series itself) as to the event structure, actual support classes being considered/confirmed etc, can anyone help with that?
This came out awhile ago, Allcomer Saloons and Historic Super Sadans
Old 19 May 2011, 04:23 (Ref:2882449)   #166
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Ex Mildura now in Hamilton NZ
mildura1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, do you think we will see any body styles other than Commodore or Falcon materialise??
Old 19 May 2011, 04:34 (Ref:2882450)   #167
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildura1963 View Post
So, do you think we will see any body styles other than Commodore or Falcon materialise??
Is there really any other Car Companies in New Zealand that are selling 'large' cars in the sort of volume that can support a racing program? The Toyota Aurion doesn't really sell well so that would be a no there and the euro's have a pretty small market share? Maybe:
  • Toyota Camry
  • Hyundai i45
  • Honda Accord
  • Mazda 6
They'd probably sell enough of those to support a racing program, but I don't think that the kind of people that watch V8 ST's are going to be the market they're aiming for and they are all a class lower (in size) than the Commodore & the Falcon?
Old 19 May 2011, 07:26 (Ref:2882485)   #168
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugz View Post
a lot of rules for an allcomers class
Old 19 May 2011, 07:32 (Ref:2882489)   #169
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
Quote:
I think this has been a whole lot of misinterpretation of the original post regarding lap times. I believe DX20VT was referring to the support class having the restricted lap times, not the SuperTourers. Nothing to see here, move along
Yup, that's exactly what I thought he was talking about.......
Old 19 May 2011, 07:38 (Ref:2882493)   #170
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Ohope View Post
Is there really any other Car Companies in New Zealand that are selling 'large' cars in the sort of volume that can support a racing program? The Toyota Aurion doesn't really sell well so that would be a no there and the euro's have a pretty small market share? Maybe:
  • Toyota Camry
  • Hyundai i45
  • Honda Accord
  • Mazda 6
They'd probably sell enough of those to support a racing program, but I don't think that the kind of people that watch V8 ST's are going to be the market they're aiming for and they are all a class lower (in size) than the Commodore & the Falcon?
Is it really about the manufacturers making that decision? I dont think the Holden and Ford version of the Supertourer exist because those companies haven thrown large buckets of cash at the series. It would be more about if 'Competitor X' decides that they'd really like to run an Audi A6 body then the option exists for them to do so, with or without manufacturer/distributor support.....obviously WITH would make their decision a whole lot easier

I'd personally like to see a range of different looks out there purely to add some visual variety.

Last edited by MarioNZ; 19 May 2011 at 07:55.
Old 19 May 2011, 08:18 (Ref:2882504)   #171
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is it really about the manufacturers making that decision? I dont think the Holden and Ford version of the Supertourer exist because those companies haven thrown large buckets of cash at the series. It would be more about if 'Competitor X' decides that they'd really like to run an Audi A6 body then the option exists for them to do so, with or without manufacturer/distributor support.....obviously WITH would make their decision a whole lot easier

I'd personally like to see a range of different looks out there purely to add some visual variety.
I think for any bodyshells other than the Holden or the Fords there probably will need to be some form of manufacturer support, mainly due to the huge development costs that I would suspect would be involved with making a unique/new car.

If you're using Commodore or Falcon like most/all of the field it'll probably be *much* cheaper to run, with the ability to source parts from a central supplier (or make them yourself I guess?) wheras if they were running an A6 they'd have to build their own bodyshell and have their own stock of spares that will quickly eat into any cost benefits of the 'cheaper' V8 ST's.

Not that I don't want to see other brands in there, but I just can't see anyone doing it if they're the ones who have to pay for it
Old 19 May 2011, 08:48 (Ref:2882511)   #172
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Ohope View Post
I think for any bodyshells other than the Holden or the Fords there probably will need to be some form of manufacturer support, mainly due to the huge development costs that I would suspect would be involved with making a unique/new car.

If you're using Commodore or Falcon like most/all of the field it'll probably be *much* cheaper to run, with the ability to source parts from a central supplier (or make them yourself I guess?) wheras if they were running an A6 they'd have to build their own bodyshell and have their own stock of spares that will quickly eat into any cost benefits of the 'cheaper' V8 ST's.

Not that I don't want to see other brands in there, but I just can't see anyone doing it if they're the ones who have to pay for it
I think this is where there may be some confusion, there shouldn't be any 'huge' costs as it's just panels - No Body Shell required. It's simply a matter of fitting the Manufacturer X body panels to the control chassis and making the aero kit (this is where there would be some expense for moulds etc?). There wouldn't be any difference to mechanical spares as every car is the same under the skin as far as it seems. The different spares a team would carry would be exterior panels. In one of the videos on the website (the dyno one) it is mentioned that "the chassis doesn't know what body it's wearing.." I take this to mean every car is the same as far as chassis and mechanicals go, so theoretically a car built as a Ford could be transformed into a Holden....or an Audi....or a Toyota or a......??? This is my read from the info available maybe someone can correct me?
Old 19 May 2011, 10:25 (Ref:2882544)   #173
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like a slightly larger & more expensive version of those little "Aussie Racing Cars" to me

Old 19 May 2011, 20:19 (Ref:2882817)   #174
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
Quote:
Sounds like a slightly larger & more expensive version of those little "Aussie Racing Cars" to me
Well if they're even half as entertaining as those things then bring it on!
Old 20 May 2011, 00:37 (Ref:2882894)   #175
brown dog
Racer

Quote:
Well if they're even half as entertaining as those things then bring it on!
Have to agree, for entertainment value those little critters are winners! Pity the NZ promoter can't seem to get his act together, there are quite a few of these cars over here.
Closed Thread