Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Aug 2014, 08:35 (Ref:3446178)   #26
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh...

...as a (certainly former!) member of Youtube's motorsport broadcasting community, I was speaking with someone on there trying to upload BTCC clips and he said that ITV contacted him about his clips. It turns out that Alan Gow is following the example set by the master of finding your audience - Big Bernie - and BTCC clips are as a result getting harder to find. Mine may well be taken down, I have no idea though!
Old 22 Aug 2014, 09:57 (Ref:3446195)   #27
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Its crazy really to be honest. I mean its free advertising for the series. I guess though if they aren't making money from it, they won't tolerate it. Quite why the BTCC don't have the full races to watch on their own youtube channel is beyond me, but then again, maybe they wouldn't be able to sell their end of year DVD then...?

They are also viciously strict about anyone tiptoeing on the BTCC licence. Many free rFactor BTCC mods were closed down, or forced to be renamed due to law letters winging their way from BTCC legal.
Old 22 Aug 2014, 11:22 (Ref:3446208)   #28
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure about how the BTCC is broadcast over there, but I find it especially silly for forms of motorsport that only get one or two showings and then ago away forever. Here in the US, races often get one live/live-ish showing, then another one a few days or a week later late at night, and then they usually disappear forever.

I get that they want you to watch it on their TV channel so you watch the ads and stuff, that's all good and fair. But if the race only gets 2 showings on TV and you miss them both, then what does it hurt to watch it on YouTube? It's not like you are choosing YouTube over the TV broadcast because there is no more broadcast.

I would think that everyone involved would rather you see the product on YouTube than not at all. I would be willing to bet that every driver, team, and sponsor on a car up and down pit lane would like every pair of eyes on them that they can get so that they can build their reputation/brand/etc by reaching as many fans as possible.

Frustrating as this has been a pretty enjoyable season thus far, and as I said above one of my favorite races is coming up and just like that I'm cut off.
Old 22 Aug 2014, 11:25 (Ref:3446209)   #29
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Its crazy really to be honest. I mean its free advertising for the series. I guess though if they aren't making money from it, they won't tolerate it. Quite why the BTCC don't have the full races to watch on their own youtube channel is beyond me, but then again, maybe they wouldn't be able to sell their end of year DVD then...?
It's ITV taking the Youtube links down, and I don't blame them for that. They pay for the license, so they protect their investment.

For the rest I fully agree, I really like the way DTM does things: YouTube streams accessible to all the country without a tv-license.
Old 22 Aug 2014, 13:36 (Ref:3446244)   #30
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alan Gow has done wonders for the BTCC over the last 25 years. It's continued success has been solely down to him and in particular his TV packaging. However, Alan is now almost 60 years old and it's very evident that he's not clued into how to leverage the series in today's multi-platform media environment. Yes it's doing well, but it could be doing so much better... with an even larger fan base in Britain and abroad. He also needs to bear in mind that TV audiences are declining significantly... particularly among young people. Let's hope he gets somebody onto TOCA whose got the vision and power to move it forward.
Old 22 Aug 2014, 13:36 (Ref:3446245)   #31
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed. DTM gets it, BTCC doesn't, simple as that
Old 22 Aug 2014, 13:47 (Ref:3446247)   #32
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole View Post
Indeed. DTM gets it, BTCC doesn't, simple as that
I have to disagree on that. DTM gets it indeed, but BTCC gets it reasonably well too. They have a very good website, post relevant and interesting Facebook and Twitter updates and post headlines of the races on YouTube among other movies. That's a good effort, I'd go as far as to say that the only thing missing is the online streaming of races. Which is mostly interesting for us foreigners, as the Brits can watch them on ITV (which is a standard cable channel isn't it? Or is it a pay-channel?).

Formula 1 on the other hand, now there's a championship stuck in 1995 in terms of online interaction...
Old 22 Aug 2014, 14:13 (Ref:3446253)   #33
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dave Newsham's mom passed away this morning. He's still hoping to race this weekend though. I'm sure all ten-tenthers will join me in offering our deepest sympathies to Dave.
Old 22 Aug 2014, 14:57 (Ref:3446265)   #34
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that a good reason to miss the race if Dave Newsham does not want to race, any subs on stand by?
Old 22 Aug 2014, 18:14 (Ref:3446315)   #35
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is Dave Newsham's home event. I doubt he'd miss it. I'm sure every fan will give him our sympathy and wish him 3 very good races, although winning in that car may (sadly, for his talent and the circumstances) be a bit unrealistic.
Old 22 Aug 2014, 18:30 (Ref:3446320)   #36
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Check out the 2014 'supergrid' (percent of the fastest lap of the weekend) - interesting to note that Alain Menu is seventh overall, despite being 11th in the championship:

http://www.touringcars.net/2014/08/k...kington-on-top
Old 22 Aug 2014, 19:18 (Ref:3446327)   #37
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
This is Dave Newsham's home event. I doubt he'd miss it. I'm sure every fan will give him our sympathy and wish him 3 very good races, although winning in that car may (sadly, for his talent and the circumstances) be a bit unrealistic.
wonder if he regrets not staying with Speedworks, Ingram puts that Toyota in top 10 regularly in qualy...
Old 23 Aug 2014, 06:00 (Ref:3446435)   #38
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
wonder if he regrets not staying with Speedworks, Ingram puts that Toyota in top 10 regularly in qualy...
I'm sure his decision to move was financially based.
Old 23 Aug 2014, 09:19 (Ref:3446481)   #39
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He never seemed at one with that car. Ingram does.
Old 23 Aug 2014, 09:54 (Ref:3446487)   #40
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
Looks like BTCC has cracked down on their races being uploaded to YouTube and the guys previously uploading them won't be doing so anymore so their accounts aren't closed, so I won't be able to keep following this.

Shame they couldn't have at least waited until after Knockhill, as it's one of my favorite circuits on the schedule.
Shame this channel is gone.

All sorts of low level racing is shown on Motors TV. Why no BTCC?
More international coverage will increase popularity and prestige of the series.
Old 23 Aug 2014, 10:14 (Ref:3446493)   #41
porsche962fan
Veteran

Turks a class of his own again, very likely get pole and start 8th !!
Old 23 Aug 2014, 14:04 (Ref:3446547)   #42
davyboy
Veteran

Anyone having trouble with the itv.com feed ? It seems to be looping between Judge Judy and ads for me
Old 23 Aug 2014, 14:08 (Ref:3446549)   #43
CarsCarsCars
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
CarsCarsCars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Anyone having trouble with the itv.com feed ? It seems to be looping between Judge Judy and ads for me
Same here. Absolutely useless
Old 23 Aug 2014, 14:08 (Ref:3446550)   #44
99hjhm
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Internet
99hjhm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Got a link?
Old 23 Aug 2014, 14:09 (Ref:3446551)   #45
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99hjhm View Post
Got a link?
http://www.itv.com/sim5/
Old 23 Aug 2014, 14:11 (Ref:3446552)   #46
davidjones
Rookie

England
Nottingham
davidjones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No idea if these will work outside the UK, they are both itv 4 streams.

http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/onli...et_tv_itv4.php

http://www.crichd.in/live/itv4-hd-live-ipl.php

I looked into how to watch the races on a live stream or on demand when I was abroad earlier this year, a friend recommended using a VPN, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network

Astrill.com $69.95 for a years subscription, works out as $5.83 a month

http://www.my-expat-network.com/uk/ £5 a month via pay pal
(I haven't used either site, I just waited until I got home.)

There are also loads of free ones, but finding a good one that isn't full of popups or gets you to download dodgy looking software seems impossible.
Old 23 Aug 2014, 14:14 (Ref:3446554)   #47
99hjhm
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Internet
99hjhm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Got it. Same as you, almost like ITV/BTCC don't want people to watch it, always impossible to find, and when you do it hardly ever works correctly.
Old 23 Aug 2014, 14:14 (Ref:3446555)   #48
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ive tried that link but it just keeps showing Judge Judy, any other links? cheers
Old 23 Aug 2014, 14:15 (Ref:3446556)   #49
davyboy
Veteran

Dear Mr. Gow,

I know that you're struggling to get your head around new media... but for god's sake a live internet stream is pretty basic stuff... it's now 3:15pm - half the session gone - and the stream is still not working. Imagine 15 minutes of dead time on a live terrestrial TV feed ? Truly disgraceful !
Old 23 Aug 2014, 14:41 (Ref:3446562)   #50
porsche962fan
Veteran

qualy over

Turks on pole but will start 8th with Plato ahead of him in 6th

Austin starts 2nd so perhaps a WIN is on the cards with good start !! , I expect Neal to be rear guner for Shedden holding everyone back

BTW Neal and Plato on the same row ...