Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jul 2005, 20:03 (Ref:1358002)   #1
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What made you fall in love with F1

Am i alone with this or do some of you guys have one really strong memory as to what got you into F1, mine is as follows, way back in 1976 as a little 5 year old lad i remember coming in from the garden and my dad was watching telly, lots of noise, lots of colour and lots of racing cars, i started asking him what the cars where called, Lotus, Ferrari, Brabham etc when all of a sudden this blue 6 wheeled thing came sliding round the corner all opposite lock and leaving rubber behind, "what is that dad" , Patrick Depallier in a Tyrrell P34, the rest as they say is history.
Old 18 Jul 2005, 20:22 (Ref:1358022)   #2
Breffni
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
Breffni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan, 1998, Belgian GP, Hakkinen out, twice! I love it. Pity about Jordan, then
Old 18 Jul 2005, 20:26 (Ref:1358024)   #3
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was a big fan of the BTCC during 1993, F1 seemed a logical step forward. A watched a few races then Senna died and all went crazy.
Old 18 Jul 2005, 20:28 (Ref:1358027)   #4
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me it was Damon Hills championship win in Japan, it seems I started at the right moment
Old 18 Jul 2005, 20:28 (Ref:1358028)   #5
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Oh, tough one to pin-point that....I have watched them as long as I can remember, with the roots being that my Dad watched them if they happened to be on the Beeb. I liked the red cars, for the reason that I happened to like the colour red a lot.

Things progressed from there.
Old 18 Jul 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1358048)   #6
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was also a question of colours. I found the black and gold of the Johnny Players Lotus irresistible.
Old 18 Jul 2005, 20:38 (Ref:1358051)   #7
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I almost forgot to mention that Murray Walker's enthusiasm must also have been contagious.
Old 18 Jul 2005, 20:46 (Ref:1358059)   #8
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched it as a kid, when Lotus ruled the roost with those lovely black JPS cars.

I enjoyed it in the turbo years when the Murray and James show was great viewing for the tension and the comedy... "yes Murray, that's another blown turbo for Senna" (on the third lap - and then goes on to win!!).

In late 1990, I very very very nearly joined EJR to work as a race team sparky, but had my eyes set on F1, and turned down the late Bosco Quinn for the job (I now consider myself as much use as a ........(insert insult here).......)

The highs of new teams like Simtek coming in with a great little package. The lows of the death of Ratzenburger and of course, Ayrton on that dark day in 1994.

I never made it into the job until 1999, by which time things had turned politics mad.

I didn't like all of the politics and back stabbing. Regardless of how good you were at your job, there could always be some git waiting to undermine you. Glad I'm out of it now. Plus I have a family to think of. It's not a family man's game in my opinion.

The sport, I still love, the politics, I hate.

And it's the politics that are now no longer under the surface, and they're tearing it apart.

They should learn from the old CART/PPG Indycar series. Politics ripped it apart, Tony George took away the ball and created the IRL, and that devastated major league single seater racing in the US. People say that NASCAR benefited, I don't think it made any difference. Single Seater racing is a "Yankee" thing. Stock Cars are a "Confederate" thing. Never the twain shall meet.

We live in difficult times.

I don't want to see F1 on a life support machine, but it needs treatment. It needs an operation to survive, and I don't think that Max is the surgeon that can do the job, neither do I think that the manufacturers should have their way 100% either.
Old 18 Jul 2005, 20:48 (Ref:1358060)   #9
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spot on there Louis B., and the theme tune to Grand Prix, happy days.
Old 18 Jul 2005, 20:56 (Ref:1358071)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I remember going downstairs one Sunday, sixteen years ago, to get my Sunday dinner. I could hear these amazing sounds and emerged into the living room to see my father watching the Monaco GP. The first image I saw was a McLaren flying through the tunnel, sparks being kicked up. I have been hooked ever since.

F1 has been through some hard times, most of them very recent. But I've still stuck by it just about. I dissaprove of a lot of things and I'm not afraid to say that F1 is far from perfect at the moment and there are series out there that are capable of matching it quite easily. But F1 has that intangible magic that keeps you hooked. It will never leave my radar.
Old 18 Jul 2005, 21:41 (Ref:1358113)   #11
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
F1 has been through some hard times, most of them very recent. But I've still stuck by it just about. I dissaprove of a lot of things and I'm not afraid to say that F1 is far from perfect at the moment and there are series out there that are capable of matching it quite easily. But F1 has that intangible magic that keeps you hooked. It will never leave my radar.
Agreed knowlesy,

lol I first started watching F1 when my dad had it on and I was playing toy cars and stoped to watch and have been hooked ever since.
Old 18 Jul 2005, 22:05 (Ref:1358131)   #12
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A rainy day at Mosport in 1967 as a young boy. The first Canadian GP. I saw all the drivers I had read about in Road & Track. Clark, Hill, Brabham and Gurney to name a few.

Jim Clark started from the pole but retired with wet electrics, Jack Brabham won from Hulme and Gurney.

I already had a love of motor racing from other races at Mosport and the race just reinforced that.

Nearly 40 years on (38 if you are counting) I am still a fan.

There have certainly been highs and lows. The death of Jim Clark was a real low. A cold day in Montreal in 1978 watching Gilles win for the first time. Then the despair of his death in May of 1982 after the betrayal at Imola by Pironi. Senna's death brought back similar thoughts.

Death was an all too frequent fact in those days. 6 of the 18 drivers who started the Canadian GP in 1967 subsequently died in crashes plus Graham Hill who died in a plane crash.

There is simply nothing in this world like Formula 1. It cannot be described to someone who has never seen it live. Words just don't do it justice. You have to see, hear and feel it.
Old 18 Jul 2005, 22:15 (Ref:1358141)   #13
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was the first race of 1996. I chanced upon it while channel-hopping and thought the Hill-Villeneuve battle was enthralling.
Old 18 Jul 2005, 22:33 (Ref:1358155)   #14
Red Emperor
Rookie

Red Emperor has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
For me it was Piquet overtaking Senna in Hungary in 1986 on the outside...
Old 18 Jul 2005, 23:16 (Ref:1358179)   #15
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Way back in the days of 1996, when I was 9 years old, I got a present which was a model car of (I think) a 1991/1992 Ligier with Thierry Boutson in the driving seat. I just thought it looked so cool and i was sat watching the Monza GP with my dad and he said, "so do you like F1?" To which I replied, "Yes." And since Australia 1997, I haven't missed a Grand Prix, watched them either live or taped (or at the trackside itself at silverstone)!!!
Old 19 Jul 2005, 00:44 (Ref:1358217)   #16
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nelson Piquet in the Brabham. For years he was the only thing I knew about Brazil. I presumed all Brazillians were racing drivers. (Then I saw a World Cup.)

That and this rather dumb joke:

Q> Who won the 1984 Formula 1 Drver's Championship?

A> Lauda.

Q> WHO WON THE 1984 FORMULA 1 DRIVER'S CHAMPIONSHIP!

Old 19 Jul 2005, 00:46 (Ref:1358218)   #17
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Way back when (1970's) I had watched F1 races on TV when I was a student in France. As I recall, I had also watched F1 as a kid when certain big races (like Monaco) were broadcast in the US on ABC's Wide World of Sports, one of my favorite shows.

Years later ESPN started to broadcast F1 races live from Europe on Sunday mornings and I watched some of those. Gradually I got hooked and I resolved to attend a race sometime.

Then I found myself in Montreal attending a conference at the same time as the 1995 Canadian Grand Prix. I was free on Sunday and I thought, "Well, here's my chance to see a live F1 race finally," so I took the metro to the track, bought a ticket from a scalper and saw the race. It turned out to be a great one--Jean Alesi's only career victory during an era when Ferrari was still somewhat of an underdog. The fans ran on the track after the race while the cars were still finishing the race. It was much better than watching on TV.

Several years later (2000), I finally made a trip to Montreal just for the race. And I've returned every year since.
Old 19 Jul 2005, 08:03 (Ref:1358360)   #18
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I've been hooked on cars since I was born. My dad laminated one of his car-magazines, so I couldn't ruin it when I slobbered on it. Some education eh?
I got hooked on F1, it must have been a Saturday afternoon in 1986 or 1987. We were visiting friends in Germany. The weather was terrible, so we switch on the telly. The first thing we saw was this bright yellow car going, what looked to me, flat out through the Ostkurve at Hockenheim (and it was raining at Hockenheim as well). This yellow car was driven by Ayrton Senna ofcourse...
Old 19 Jul 2005, 08:12 (Ref:1358367)   #19
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first copy of Autosport which had report & photos of 1955 Monaco GP.
Old 19 Jul 2005, 08:18 (Ref:1358372)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Stirling Moss, Tony Brooks, Vanwall!
Old 19 Jul 2005, 10:04 (Ref:1358436)   #21
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
hmm..loved cars since i could walk.. But F1 wasn't shown in my country back then. Memories are blurry, but iirc, started watching F1 in motion when my uncle sent me a few video tapes from overseas in '93, which are some selected races from '89 - '93. When F1 was shown through local paid TV channels at around '96/'97, i got a friend who taped it for me every race weekend (after much pleading, i must admit..lol).

Finally pursuaded dad to subscribe to the sports channel, and from '98 onwards, been watching every qual/race (with a few exceptions) live on my own 51 inch.
Old 19 Jul 2005, 10:25 (Ref:1358455)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The game "Microprose Grand Prix" on the Amiga 500
Old 19 Jul 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1358472)   #23
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
One of my first memories was James Hunt winning the 1976 championship. Although I always loved F1, I think the emergence of Nigel Mansell in the early to mid-eighties, and "Mansell-Mania" was what really cemented it.
Old 19 Jul 2005, 11:01 (Ref:1358477)   #24
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was always a car racing fanatic when i was younger...
I got into f1 when i was 4(ish) when one day my mom put on the 90 Monaco GP. I saw a certain guy call Senna (the guy in the 'yellow helmet' as i didnt know who he was at the time) do a few laps and win the race.......
Needless to say i was hooked to the sport!
Old 19 Jul 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1358731)   #25
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
What made me fall in love with F1?

The danger,
The sparks that the cars used to kick up showering following drivers,
The sounds of the V-12,
Murray Walker,
Watching Mansell scrapping on track,

Not much of that is in F1 now...