Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Jun 2009, 05:59 (Ref:2478896)   #1
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scanners

Anyone suggest a reasonable brand of scanner to use for listening into the pit crew and driver conversations?
Old 10 Jun 2009, 06:16 (Ref:2478897)   #2
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IIRC (as i don't get it out often only at races) mine is Uniden, it's a few years old, does the job well enough and picks up the cars at the mountain all the way around very well. i used it at EC last year and it was good there aswell.
Old 10 Jun 2009, 10:16 (Ref:2479023)   #3
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Uniden seems to be one of the better ones around - just make sure you get one with sufficient 'slots' to store all the possible frequencies and then some more that you will need!

The biggest hassle is getting the frequencies although you can get lists of what is allocated to various people, but keep in mind that not all teams are registered in their own name - they have the radios provided to them (and besides having a senior moment and can't remember Steve's last name to help you search his communicaitons business name to get the freq's).
Old 10 Jun 2009, 10:19 (Ref:2479024)   #4
M-Kart
Veteran

Australia
M-Kart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8SC publish the frequencies for each car on the round info pages on their website. The frequencies for Hidden Valley have already been posted.
Old 10 Jun 2009, 10:22 (Ref:2479026)   #5
NewsStalker
Veteran

Forgot about those - guess once you program the frequencies in you tend to forget about where you got them from or where they are updated
Old 10 Jun 2009, 10:58 (Ref:2479051)   #6
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You need to check the list for each round as they do change due to frequencies being used locally by someone else and so on.

Suggest using the car number as your channel number to make them easy to find and identify in a hurry.

Don't forget a good headset (headphones) as it does get noisy at the track making the scanner hard to hear.
Old 11 Jun 2009, 00:54 (Ref:2479732)   #7
NewsStalker
Veteran

Keep in mind though if you have a scanner that can score 200 odd frequencies, although they may change occasionally, they will go through a set range of them so don;t erase any just because Team A switchged from one frequency to another at different tracks.

Besides - some of these 'unused' frequencies *do* get used for some odd things at a track...
Old 11 Jun 2009, 03:03 (Ref:2479783)   #8
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Uniden rock. Ive got one from about 10 years ago and it still works great. It used to pick up the cops too, but those buggers went to encryption dammit.
Old 11 Jun 2009, 03:22 (Ref:2479789)   #9
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
Uniden rock. Ive got one from about 10 years ago and it still works great. It used to pick up the cops too, but those buggers went to encryption dammit.
yeah thats what i used to do with mine especially friday saturday nights sit there scanner in one hand beer in the other and listen to the cops. i was ****ed when they started to fade out.
Old 11 Jun 2009, 03:25 (Ref:2479791)   #10
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you still want to get the cops, I think there are means and ways about it. I just couldn't be bothered - laziness, spending money all add up in the negative column.
Old 11 Jun 2009, 03:29 (Ref:2479793)   #11
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
If you still want to get the cops, I think there are means and ways about it. I just couldn't be bothered - laziness, spending money all add up in the negative column.
same here, the scanner cost me enough and nowe i have just got used to not having them so CBF. if someone did the work for me and paid the money well then i'll go with it.