Justin Wilson ?

What will be his future next year ?

Is F1 a possibility ?
Old 2 Aug 2002, 13:55 (Ref:348712)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Doubt it.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 14:18 (Ref:348733)   #3
Mr Hahn
Racer

Mr Hahn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, with all the shuffling going on in F1 at the moment, anything's possible. The grid in Hungary could have quite a few changes, and it looks to me like there will be quite a seat shake up at the end of the year.

If you believe everything you read, Sauber are looking for a replacement for Massa, possibly immediately, Arrows have to find a replacement quick sharp for Frentzen, Minardi have dumped Yoong as of now, and will be needing to fill Webber's seat next year. There are lots of speculative options, and if Wilson misses out again, it will be a travesty.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 15:56 (Ref:348793)   #4
bart_jacobs
Racer

bart_jacobs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I said in th single Seaters forum:It's simple:Justin Wilson may win every championship there is,but he won't get an f1 drive-->he's too big!At least that's what a team boss told me,and he has a point...
Old 2 Aug 2002, 16:12 (Ref:348801)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not so convinced that Justin Wilson's height has to stop him racing in F1. Certinly he's taller than any of the current driverrs, but it can certainly be done- FIA regs insist that a driver of 1.9m (6'3") has to be able to fit in the cockpit, and that covers Justin. of course, in Jordan's case Fisichella is around maybe 1.7m/5'7", so this makes changing the car over take longer.

Not sure he'll get one of the drives this year, but I'm still hopeful that F1 has a place for him.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 17:10 (Ref:348843)   #6
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How tall is Coulthard ?
Old 2 Aug 2002, 18:39 (Ref:348913)   #7
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wurz is 6'3 and he has no prob testing.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 18:51 (Ref:348919)   #8
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Justin tried to work harder where he is now in the TWS, and also makes presence on the F1 paddocks visiting teams, he can catch some interest of teamowners to enter into F1 world...
Old 3 Aug 2002, 00:23 (Ref:349119)   #9
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wilson does fit into the Jordan, but as stated earlier it would take time to modify the car. Though his size can be a disadvantage, for marketing it can be a plus, tall dark and hansome rather than the usual midget trolls of F1 (sorry guys but as a rule they aint pretty!)

Yes, he should be out there talking to people, his profile isnt high enough. what with the situations vacant changing almost on an hourly basis you can rule nothing out. I think he has a shot at the jordan seat he should have gotten last year.
Old 3 Aug 2002, 00:50 (Ref:349127)   #10
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say Justin will never drive in a Formula One race.
That is unfair of course, but that is just what I think will happen. He doesnt have enough money behind him, is too tall, and has very little F1 testing behind him.
Old 3 Aug 2002, 01:20 (Ref:349139)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Plus he's not as good as people think he is.
Old 3 Aug 2002, 07:59 (Ref:349197)   #12
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Justin deserves a chance at least to show what he can do in F1 . To show whether he can jump straight in and perform straight out the box like many members here have said he could do in the past .
I like Justin , and think he is a very quick driver , but he is hardly outstanding !. He certainly deserves a better drive than being in Nissan , and Cart would see him shine i think , But i think Justins problem isnt his height , its got more to do with how long he sat in a F3000 car getting average results , before taking the championship last year which turned out to be his only impressive year for a while .
Justin is another driver that i would be happy to see in the Minardi seat , put him in against Webber and see what he can do . To see if he can push Webber hard . If he can , then other teams would have to take notice of him then , If he cant , well at least he got a chance in F1 which i firmly think he is entitled to.
Old 3 Aug 2002, 18:42 (Ref:349453)   #13
Mr Hahn
Racer

Mr Hahn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Plus he's not as good as people think he is.
...The same could be said of a certain F3 driver, who Wilson put to shame in a one-off test this week...
Old 3 Aug 2002, 19:24 (Ref:349469)   #14
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
I'm not so convinced that Justin Wilson's height has to stop him racing in F1. Certinly he's taller than any of the current driverrs, but it can certainly be done- FIA regs insist that a driver of 1.9m (6'3") has to be able to fit in the cockpit, and that covers Justin. of course, in Jordan's case Fisichella is around maybe 1.7m/5'7", so this makes changing the car over take longer.
But in case the modifications to the car would require a new crash test, wouldn't that be too expensive for just 5 races?
Once he has proven himself, I'm sure the teams can manage that. But in the present situation, I doubt whether they would give Wilson a chance.
Old 3 Aug 2002, 22:36 (Ref:349554)   #15
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The modifications would not require a crash test. As has been stated the regs mandate that the cockpit must be able to seat a pilot of 6'3 keeping his head etc within the reference points. the jordan certainly does do that. the modificationd being talked about would probably involve padding, seat placement and peddle box

the only reason you would require a crash test is if you were making modifications to the tub.
Old 3 Aug 2002, 22:59 (Ref:349569)   #16
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe he could get a ride in Cart though, the cockpits are a little larger there.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 4 Aug 2002, 15:34 (Ref:349860)   #17
Mosst
Rookie

Mosst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just read that Justin will be driving a Minardi F1 car at Donnington for Thunder in the Park. That is another F1 car he can fit in (altho it did admit that he didn't fit in the 2 seater!) I agree with all of you that say he should at least get a chance at F1.
Old 4 Aug 2002, 16:10 (Ref:349866)   #18
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if single seaters don't work out, then hell be welcome in tin tops and sportscars, because height wouldn't be a problem because Matt Neal races in the BTCC successfully and Wilson did well at the Sebring 6 Hours aboard the Ascari finishing sixth.
Old 4 Aug 2002, 16:44 (Ref:349879)   #19
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wilson still deserves alot better than tin tops . Hopefully something will come his way eventually .
Old 5 Aug 2002, 02:33 (Ref:350149)   #20
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Hahn
...The same could be said of a certain F3 driver, who Wilson put to shame in a one-off test this week...
Geez, if an International Formula 3000 champion isn't at least as quick as an F3 driver, something is wrong.

I think Wilson's best chance in a top series is CART. Unless a lot of money comes into Minardi, I can't see him getting an F1 seat.

I agree with Sato san, between his FPA title and his F3000 title, he simply spent too much time in the wilderness, achieving "average" results. I think this is what gave Webber an advantage with F1 bosses. Whilst he hadn't won any titles, he had driven in many different series and immediately been on the pace and winning.

There is no doubt he is good (you don't become Int. F3000 champ without immense talent), but unfortunately certain factors are working against him.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 08:30 (Ref:350240)   #21
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Justin just needs some good people behind (ie not Jonathan Palmer - who nobody takes seriously as a driver manager). If I were him I'd take matters into my own hands and get myself onto Keke Rosberg's or the Robertson's books.

I agree, he need's to get himself around the paddock and at the very least get some F1 tests in the pipeline. Unfortunately the season in the Nissan series could do him more harm than good, if he contnues to get beaten by drivers with a lesser pedigree.

Stepping down into a lower formula can work well if you blitz it, be he hasn't so far and it could lower his stock.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 08:53 (Ref:350248)   #22
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and it may also knock his confidence - when he was fresh from winning the f3000 he probably felt he was one of the top ten fastest drivers in europe, but a season of middle order spanish national racing wont do much for his confidence.. and if he should get an F1 test now he may not be in the correct frame of mind!
Old 8 Aug 2002, 19:29 (Ref:353330)   #23
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This all seems to be a duplicate of the "Wilson doesn't Fit" thread on page one!!!

And he still doesn't fit! as EJ said in MN just after JWs Jordan test 'Justin would benefit by a change in the current chassis regulations' or words to that effect.

That's life...I was too fat to be a ballet dancer...damn it!