Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Oct 2003, 12:08 (Ref:749415)   #1
Rulekeeper
Racer

Rulekeeper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murph should thank Skaife?

If I was Greg Murphy, I would like to thank MS and HRT for suppling me with a HRT built car, engine etc. I would also like to thank them for supplying the Teams employees, race set up, logistics, marketing, supply contacts. Organising our accomodation and transport arrangements. Fantastic people over at HRT and Holden Motorsport, very generous. Whilst Mark is probably upset at his result, I'm sure he is warm and Fuzzy that his Team has helped Murph and KMR win Bathurst. Great guy and Team. Thanks, and we look forward to your continuing support under our contract for next year
Old 13 Oct 2003, 22:11 (Ref:750265)   #2
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After what Skaife called Murphy after he beat him last friday I can certainly see that happening it more likly Murphy will put up 1 finger when he next meets skaife.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 00:55 (Ref:750369)   #3
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What did Skaife call Murphy ?
Old 14 Oct 2003, 01:10 (Ref:750377)   #4
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
awww is someone upset that holden won again?

better luck next year
Old 14 Oct 2003, 06:58 (Ref:750508)   #5
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyinsthoz
What did Skaife call Murphy ?
A W@nker !
Old 14 Oct 2003, 08:31 (Ref:750596)   #6
Hobo high
Racer

Hobo high should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what ya sayin is - skaife sold the wrong car , motor and got rid of the wrong personel from hrt - then his skills as a owner are impecable in my opinion
Old 14 Oct 2003, 09:25 (Ref:750637)   #7
craig1
Racer

craig1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could supply all that and more but if you don't have someone with Murfs ability to drive it it don't mean much.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 09:34 (Ref:750643)   #8
FatBoy
Racer

FatBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny enough Skaife was one of the first to approach Murph after the race, shake hands and congratulate him...
Considering how ****ed off he would have been after the door episode (not pointing fingers here btw) i thought it showed plenty of class...

Cheers,
Paul...
Old 14 Oct 2003, 12:28 (Ref:750814)   #9
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was suprised by that too. Maybe it was because the cameras were there, so he thought he had better look nice and friendly after the race towards Murphy.

But on that topic, i think one of the most friendly and remarkable congratulations was back in 2001, at Sandown. Remember when Lowndes tapped Ambrose, and went on to take the win? Ambrose was onto his radio saying that they might be able to do something about that with the stewards afterwards. And we all thought that things may get a bit ugly when both hopped out of the cars after the race. But no, Ambrose and Lowndes just hugged, and went on from there.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 15:03 (Ref:753365)   #10
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Wizzby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, my recollection of the w^*ker comment was that Murph was as suprised about it on Sunday as I was! Never happened...

And the handshake at the end would have been genuine, despite what some people think, Mark is actually a very good sportsman. He knows what it takes to win this race and how it feels. It's just a shame the viewing public was robbed of a great dogfight at the end...
Old 16 Oct 2003, 17:48 (Ref:753501)   #11
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Murph's the fastest driver in V8's by far,Skaifes obviously just woken up to the fact
Old 16 Oct 2003, 19:12 (Ref:753586)   #12
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murphs ability was a large part of the equation. That Pole lap was awesome!
Old 16 Oct 2003, 21:38 (Ref:753727)   #13
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brilliant lap, but still not mistake free, which is unbelievable given that he ws so much quicker than everyone else. He admitted that he got first gear not third coming out of the Dipper which he claimed would have cost him a few tenths.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 16 Oct 2003, 21:39 (Ref:753730)   #14
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That makes it all the more awesome, all drivers agree you cannot do a perfect lap or a mistake free lap, more so at Bathurst
Old 20 Oct 2003, 23:44 (Ref:757613)   #15
Dave HRT Moy
Racer

Dave HRT Moy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Armco Bender
Murph's the fastest driver in V8's by far,Skaifes obviously just woken up to the fact
Yeah..those 5 touring car titles must be an illusion?

name calling is not really necessary around here

Last edited by mtpanorama; 22 Oct 2003 at 10:52.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 23:50 (Ref:757617)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its an interesting point though, had Skaife not joined HRT, would the team still be around? Would Lowndes still be the golden boy, or would thay have lost direction without a technical driver having input into the team and cars like Skaife?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 21 Oct 2003, 02:00 (Ref:757675)   #17
Captain
Rookie

Captain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave, could you please clarify why winning 5 titles means that Mark Skaife is a faster driver than Greg Murphy. Does the car not matter, or the team or even luck. Murphy is the fastest around Bathurst this year, (that fact should not be indispute), so why do you wish to insult people for expressing an opinion which does have at least some substance behind it?
Old 21 Oct 2003, 03:19 (Ref:757707)   #18
Mattracer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
Its an interesting point though, had Skaife not joined HRT, would the team still be around? Would Lowndes still be the golden boy, or would thay have lost direction without a technical driver having input into the team and cars like Skaife?

The team would still be around but attracting top drivers is one of the keys to success but without success, the team won't attract top drivers.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 03:19 (Ref:757708)   #19
aj_308
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
aj_308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its funny, i dont remember seeing him to much up front in the white sega car..
Old 21 Oct 2003, 03:23 (Ref:757710)   #20
webberisgod
Rookie

webberisgod should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not that lack of budget, testing or personell would have had anything to do with that eh aj? its funny, cause i also dont remember Lowndes being up the front too much in the Mr milk mobile either
Old 21 Oct 2003, 03:27 (Ref:757713)   #21
aj_308
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
aj_308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i can think of more times than i can mark. Maybe you should go back and watch a few tapes.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 03:35 (Ref:757717)   #22
Mattracer
Veteran

Ahh, the old "Lowndes is better than Skaife" argument again.

Knock yourselves out guys...

Lowndes and Skaife both didn't get results in their "lean" years. Flashes of brilliance from both on occasion but never a sustainable campaign when hamstrung by technical problems, money or staffing levels.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 03:49 (Ref:757721)   #23
webberisgod
Rookie

webberisgod should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im not going to dispute that Lowndes is a damn fine driver, and hell imnot even going to begin to compare them. I gretaly respect both guys for the enormous amounts of talent that they have.

My point is that no matter how good a driver is doesnt really matter unless the team has budget and techical know how to give him a worthwile car on race day.

everyone always comes back to the Sega cars with Skaife. Ok the results wrnt the best, but what do expect with no dollars for delvopment or to even hold a propper team togeather. If you look though the paddock now theres more examples to teams and drivers oozing with talent who lack the moola to make the next step up. LRT and SCAR are 2 teams that come to mind that given some more cash for development would really worry some of the more established teams. Ontheo ther hand you have teams with well enough money but who dont have their acts togeather technicly who cant get a result. DJR spring immediatley to mind here.

anyhow, i digress. My point is that no matter how good the driver is, without the team and dollars behind him / her , the driver is not gonig to get very far. Do you think that Shui or montya would have much chance in F1 if they where driving Saubers, Jordans or Minardi's?

Last edited by webberisgod; 21 Oct 2003 at 03:51.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 05:16 (Ref:757766)   #24
Dave HRT Moy
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain
Dave, could you please clarify why winning 5 titles means that Mark Skaife is a faster driver than Greg Murphy. Does the car not matter, or the team or even luck. Murphy is the fastest around Bathurst this year, (that fact should not be indispute), so why do you wish to insult people for expressing an opinion which does have at least some substance behind it?
Well Captain, I suppose it doesn't.

But it's a pretty fair indication.

If you use some measure other than a driver's results to justify your claim, then I'd wager that you're in the minority.

Should we ignore Schumacher's results because the Ferrari team and cars have been so good?

I like Murph, he also had his time at HRT with the same basic team and support that Skaife has. From memory Lowndes (his teammate) whooped him!

So I have 5 titles, 4 Bathursts, 3 Gold star championships, a host of poles and fastest laps to justify my claim about Skaife.

You have one really quick lap of Bathurst....
Old 21 Oct 2003, 05:17 (Ref:757769)   #25
Dave HRT Moy
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by aj_308
its funny, i dont remember seeing him to much up front in the white sega car..
Mmmm, a bit like Lowndes in the Gibson, whoops I mean Forbes 00 cars...