Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Feb 2004, 04:02 (Ref:881087)   #26
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Vortexo that was the early VB-VH Group3 cars

Last edited by mixxer; 21 Feb 2004 at 04:03.
Old 21 Feb 2004, 04:08 (Ref:881089)   #27
vortexo
Veteran

vortexo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah I knew it was around that time - I have trouble recalling that kinda stuff from the hard drive (brain)
I think it's called *old age*
Old 21 Feb 2004, 04:20 (Ref:881093)   #28
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ironic that we are talking aircon in race cars on a day like today. It is boiling here today; 38 inside.
Old 21 Feb 2004, 05:07 (Ref:881111)   #29
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It depends on fitness... there are some drivers who just dont perspire, and while I get piddled off at that because I perspire uncomfortably, air conditioning would not help them.

Its not just about fitness, its also pre-race preparation... if the driver steps from the airconditioned transporter or corporate facilities into a hot race car, they will excrete perspiration, as the temeperature stepchange will force the body to do so....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 21 Feb 2004, 07:49 (Ref:881152)   #30
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't sweat - but I itch when I get hot - it'd drive me nuts in a racecar!
Old 21 Feb 2004, 10:57 (Ref:881262)   #31
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another concern would be about where the air-con radiator is located. In road cars, it's usually in front of the engine radiator (so can cause an increase in engine temp) not such an ideal solution for a race car, one would think.

I'd assume Paul Morris' team thinks the disadvantages of air-con (weight, heat exchange, power load) outweigh the benefits (increased driver comfort = better concentration).
Old 21 Feb 2004, 21:43 (Ref:881564)   #32
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most cars have more than 15kg of ballast in them anyway so the wieght isn't an issue.

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 21 Feb 2004, 22:09 (Ref:881580)   #33
hotgemini
Rookie

hotgemini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pete55
Ironic that we are talking aircon in race cars on a day like today. It is boiling here today; 38 inside.
It was even hotter at Qld. Raceway, after 80 laps I was absolutely knackered.
Old 10 Jun 2009, 06:34 (Ref:2478900)   #34
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting article Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
The race organisers have since introduced mandatory air-conditioning for the closed cockpit cars, and temperatures may not exceed 32C.
While the glass apertures in a V8Supercar are far more than a Sports Prototype, that this is now mandatory for Le Mans might suggest a rethink for V8Supercars may be in order?
Old 10 Jun 2009, 07:12 (Ref:2478916)   #35
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Possibly. I doubt in car temps for V8s exceed 70 degrees though.
I a massive Le Mans fan, and that year the Aston Martin drivers could hardly walk for the blisters on their feet. It was a brand new, possibly under-developed car... not the relatively refined thing that V8s are.

(When I say refined, I mean well evolved, not comfortable)

P.S How long til ou reach grave digger status, GTR?
Old 10 Jun 2009, 07:25 (Ref:2478924)   #36
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Easy way to help fix it in v8's. Have both fron side windows removed as a rule. That would certainly allow more air to circulate through the cars
Old 10 Jun 2009, 07:28 (Ref:2478927)   #37
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaroo Park View Post
Easy way to help fix it in v8's. Have both fron side windows removed as a rule. That would certainly allow more air to circulate through the cars
But when it rains, the water hits the floor, converts to steam, and fogs the windows....

Air conditioning is the most logical response.

How about a "Control" air conditioner, electric, of a certain weight, going into the driver area of the car.... electric, so it drains the battery, not the engine...
Old 10 Jun 2009, 08:00 (Ref:2478947)   #38
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no need for air con. why wouldnt you just put a heater element in the front screen like was done in the early days of V8 touring cars
Old 10 Jun 2009, 08:00 (Ref:2478948)   #39
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they would have to be careful though as with it draining extra power from the battery it would put more stress on the altinator, so would they be allowed to run either bigger batteries or bigger altinators?
Old 10 Jun 2009, 08:38 (Ref:2478974)   #40
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
How about a "Control" air conditioner, electric, of a certain weight, going into the driver area of the car.... electric, so it drains the battery, not the engine...
It sounds perfect. The only real thing that is concerning is will it be like cool suits and be completely unreliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer View Post
they would have to be careful though as with it draining extra power from the battery it would put more stress on the altinator, so would they be allowed to run either bigger batteries or bigger altinators?
Possibly. But I think that the alternator and batteries would hold up to the added strain.
Old 10 Jun 2009, 08:48 (Ref:2478982)   #41
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dumping the plastic front windows seems a better idea to me. Why not require glass (power operated) winding windows... they are down for ventilation when slick tyres are fitted, and go up when the rain light is activated. Much cheaper than an air conditioning system!
Old 10 Jun 2009, 08:58 (Ref:2478986)   #42
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Dumping the plastic front windows seems a better idea to me. Why not require glass (power operated) winding windows... they are down for ventilation when slick tyres are fitted, and go up when the rain light is activated. Much cheaper than an air conditioning system!
Glass windows are a bad idea for racing. They are expensive, heavy and most important of all, dangerous. That's why the series got rid of them a number of years ago. Also, the electrics could fail so if it does rain, the windows could stay down even if it is heavily raining or stuck up if it's a dry race.
Old 10 Jun 2009, 10:12 (Ref:2479022)   #43
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
At least glass is see thru, have you seen some of the plexiglass stuff in use in the V8 field? Its a wonder they can see anything out of some pieces....

It must be expensive stuff, as it doesnt seem to get replaced regularly on some cars
Old 10 Jun 2009, 13:52 (Ref:2479188)   #44
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
with alot of modern glass it can be pretty safe with protective film and the like, if it shatters it stays intact. i think the front windscreens are like that atm.