Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 5 Jan 2017, 14:20 (Ref:3700309)   #4901
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I'm pretty underwhelmed by the Art Car... but I have to say 'art,' especially that of the very highest order or on the cutting edge, or whatever it may be is not always so...great? I don't mean it in a bad way, but simply in a way where it's very easy to say 'big deal' when you're looking at it, and it's not until someone explains the how or why it's important or significant that you may actually see it as such. I don't pretend to know much about it myself, but my brother works for one of the largest NYC / worldwide galleries and works with a lot of current and deceased artists' work. More than once I've failed to see the big deal in something he's shown me, but that's the thing with art. It's not always how it looks or what it is, but who did it first and what their intended message may be.
Old 5 Jan 2017, 20:08 (Ref:3700382)   #4902
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
Personally I'm pretty underwhelmed by the Art Car... but I have to say 'art,' especially that of the very highest order or on the cutting edge, or whatever it may be is not always so...great? I don't mean it in a bad way, but simply in a way where it's very easy to say 'big deal' when you're looking at it, and it's not until someone explains the how or why it's important or significant that you may actually see it as such.
This is the BS that sub-par "artistes" have sold to the "Art World," which is really nothing about Art but instead is about rich people trying to find the next "big-name artist" so they can back him or her and gain party-chat status at their social events.

If someone needs a bunch of text to make a visual piece make sense ... they are writers, not painter.

Sure, one can always learn more about a piece of art through explanation, but when we have people painting an orange line on an aqua wall and calling it "art" and then taking 14 paragraphs to explain how it symbolizes man's difficult progress through a hostile world beset by disasters natural and man-made, but the indomitable human spirit always rises up and shines true ... then you have been fooled by a salesman. There is no "Art" there except the art of self-promotion and manipulation.

It isn't "daring" to glue a blue wood square on a red or yellow wood square ... but I have heard "art critics" describe it as such. It isn't "ground-breaking" to smear feces on canvas ... but you can be a "cutting-edge, avant garde artistic genius" if you can convince people it is.

It isn't "Art" to write "art" on a canvas and say, "See, it's art." That's just low-brow humor.

And what we have here is an "artist" showing everyone what asses they can be ... and no one can see it. I bet the guy would be rolling on the floor laughing ... except he has probably bought his own hype and believes he is an "artist."

If that is the standard, I can record myself saying "Music" and sell the CD for millions because I am a "cutting-edge, avant garde musical genius."

But then, seeing what some rap artists can sell by the millions ....

Oh, yeah, DPi. (relevance citation.)
Old 5 Jan 2017, 21:48 (Ref:3700393)   #4903
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
It's getting off topic, but the BMW LMP1 Art car was literally nothing but words.

Does it become a better Art Car if it wins?
Old 5 Jan 2017, 22:22 (Ref:3700401)   #4904
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Oh god, the old "Any news is good news!" line. People complaining about how terrible something is isn't EXACTLY what BMW wanted. If this is the logic used, then they should fire the PR crew.
No, it's not an "any news is good news" type of deal. It's an "we want to grab attention" type of deal. BMW's getting attention, just as they wanted.

Quote:
You could achieve the exact same amount of talk, but in a positive light, by doing retro art liveries.
You say that, yet the "good" looking art cars of recent years haven't generated half the amount of attention and discussion as this one has.

Quote:
But hey, any news is good news. That's why Samsung don't mind phones exploding, because people are talking about them.
Is the art car putting people in danger with it's problem? No. These two issues are not even remotely comparable.

Samsung's exploding phones are a serious issue that makes people not want to buy them due to personal risk, which has a negative impact on their sales.

A bad art car isn't going to negatively affect BMW's sales at all - it doesn't create any negative images about the safety or quality of the product at all. But it DOES get people talking, and that's what BMW wanted.
Old 5 Jan 2017, 22:55 (Ref:3700413)   #4905
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
A bad art car isn't going to negatively affect BMW's sales at all - it doesn't create any negative images about the safety or quality of the product at all. But it DOES get people talking, and that's what BMW wanted.
And a good one wasn't going to sell an additional car either. But I can tell you 2 dealerships here HATE the car and the signage that gets nothing but 'What the hell is that dumb thing?' comments from customers. Answering the same thing everyday gets old fast and doubt BMW is enjoying the insulting comments in the least. Bangle's fire styling got people talking and NONE of it was good, and it did cost them sales for a couple years. If anything it is getting them comments from anti-BMW people and I'm betting if you asked RLL guys they'd gladly accept vandalism to cover it and slow the questions. Personally I'm hoping the engine gives out on lap 2 and we don't have to see it.
Old 5 Jan 2017, 23:31 (Ref:3700421)   #4906
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Sounds like a personal problem. I don't care for BMW, but it's not so bad that I want them to fail so I don't have to see their minimalist livery. It's another entry for the race. Better them there and competitive with the goofy 'art' car than not there at all.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 01:52 (Ref:3700441)   #4907
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Sounds like a personal problem. I don't care for BMW, but it's not so bad that I want them to fail so I don't have to see their minimalist livery. It's another entry for the race. Better them there and competitive with the goofy 'art' car than not there at all.
I agree. No need for them to fail early and not participate.

We just need to get one of the many Lambos to sideswipe them lightly on both sides.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 05:27 (Ref:3700461)   #4908
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I agree. No need for them to fail early and not participate.

We just need to get one of the many Lambos to sideswipe them lightly on both sides.
hai.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 12:39 (Ref:3700532)   #4909
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
You say that, yet the "good" looking art cars of recent years haven't generated half the amount of attention and discussion as this one has.
The BMW stripes one did, as did the Aston Martin that was meant to change colour at night. There was quite a bit of talk about how awesome that was going to be, and how disappointing it was when it didn't work.

There's plenty of talk about these liveries because the teams make a big effort hiding it and then revealing it. If you don't do a big reveal then people won't talk about it (JMW Dunlop Art livery). The car is not meant to just be talked about, it's meant to look good in the adverts, posters and tv commercials that it's going to be in when it wins. If it looks like it was designed by a 3 year old, then it just looks stupid in the classy glossy print ad that BMW paid lots of money for.

But hey, I'll go with the "It's what BMW want! You've played right into their hands" line, even if it is just nonsensical.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 15:53 (Ref:3700603)   #4910
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
If the point of art is to spark a reaction and open up a dialog, or impact the viewer in some way. Seems like it's worked?

The irony if it does well despite the lackluster reception will be the icing on the cake.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 15:54 (Ref:3700604)   #4911
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If something sparking discussion because it's poor should be considered a success, then I think we'd still have Nissan driving at Le Mans with a car being talked about, that's 20 seconds off the pace
Old 6 Jan 2017, 16:03 (Ref:3700606)   #4912
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
-Did you see the new BMW art car?
-Yes it's awful. Not like some art doesn't speak to me awful, like that's embarassingly not art but you paid that homeless man anyway awful
-If these are the kinds of decisions BMW is approving these days, what other kind of stupid things are getting through?
-Yeah having such a poor idea make it this far says something about the brand.
-X4 and X6, and the GT things...
-I'll probably be shopping with other manufacturers for my next car.

I don't think this is the conversation BMW wanted
Old 6 Jan 2017, 16:31 (Ref:3700618)   #4913
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Quote:
If something sparking discussion because it's poor should be considered a success, then I think we'd still have Nissan driving at Le Mans with a car being talked about, that's 20 seconds off the pace
LOL, Touche.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 18:00 (Ref:3700632)   #4914
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
-Did you see the new BMW art car?
-Yes it's awful. Not like some art doesn't speak to me awful, like that's embarassingly not art but you paid that homeless man anyway awful
-If these are the kinds of decisions BMW is approving these days, what other kind of stupid things are getting through?
-Yeah having such a poor idea make it this far says something about the brand.
-X4 and X6, and the GT things...
-I'll probably be shopping with other manufacturers for my next car.

I don't think this is the conversation BMW wanted
GT things most likely refers to the 5 and 3 series GT, not the racecars.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 19:37 (Ref:3700660)   #4915
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
The BMW stripes one did, as did the Aston Martin that was meant to change colour at night. There was quite a bit of talk about how awesome that was going to be, and how disappointing it was when it didn't work.
No they didn't. There was the usual initial interest from the hardcore fans, then it all stopped. It's generated only a fraction of the discussion this one has.

Quote:
A bad paint job and rushing a radical project to the track after maybe 1/3 of the development time it needed are two COMPLETELY different things.

Go ahead and keep comparing apples to oranges - it only proves further that you've done exactly what BMW wanted.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 20:08 (Ref:3700663)   #4916
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
No they didn't. There was the usual initial interest from the hardcore fans, then it all stopped. It's generated only a fraction of the discussion this one has.
[citation needed]

Quote:
A bad paint job and rushing a radical project to the track after maybe 1/3 of the development time it needed are two COMPLETELY different things.

Go ahead and keep comparing apples to oranges - it only proves further that you've done exactly what BMW wanted.
You can compare apples and oranges. They're both fruit. Oranges are crap and apples are better.

You can compare marketing attempts. They're both marketing attempts. If their goal was to make some motorsport nerds argue on a forum, they achieved it. If their goal was anything else, than unfortunately BMW have made an orange.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 21:12 (Ref:3700684)   #4917
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
[citation needed]

You can compare apples and oranges. They're both fruit. Oranges are crap and apples are better.

You can compare marketing attempts. They're both marketing attempts. If their goal was to make some motorsport nerds argue on a forum, they achieved it. If their goal was anything else, than unfortunately BMW have made an orange.
You sure it's not a lemon?
Old 6 Jan 2017, 21:55 (Ref:3700692)   #4918
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
It's rare when someone types "lol" on the internet that they actually did lol, but I did with that one.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 22:32 (Ref:3700700)   #4919
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
This is the BS that sub-par "artistes" have sold to the "Art World," which is really nothing about Art but instead is about rich people trying to find the next "big-name artist" so they can back him or her and gain party-chat status at their social events.

If someone needs a bunch of text to make a visual piece make sense ... they are writers, not painter.

Sure, one can always learn more about a piece of art through explanation, but when we have people painting an orange line on an aqua wall and calling it "art" and then taking 14 paragraphs to explain how it symbolizes man's difficult progress through a hostile world beset by disasters natural and man-made, but the indomitable human spirit always rises up and shines true ... then you have been fooled by a salesman. There is no "Art" there except the art of self-promotion and manipulation.

It isn't "daring" to glue a blue wood square on a red or yellow wood square ... but I have heard "art critics" describe it as such. It isn't "ground-breaking" to smear feces on canvas ... but you can be a "cutting-edge, avant garde artistic genius" if you can convince people it is.

It isn't "Art" to write "art" on a canvas and say, "See, it's art." That's just low-brow humor.

And what we have here is an "artist" showing everyone what asses they can be ... and no one can see it. I bet the guy would be rolling on the floor laughing ... except he has probably bought his own hype and believes he is an "artist."

If that is the standard, I can record myself saying "Music" and sell the CD for millions because I am a "cutting-edge, avant garde musical genius."

But then, seeing what some rap artists can sell by the millions ....

Oh, yeah, DPi. (relevance citation.)
This was a solid rant. Well done. Would read again and I agree.

Off topic from the paint job, does anyone else expect a Ferrari/bmw fight for the gtlm championship this year? Think about it: it's all bop nonsense, two years ago Porsche won, last year we got the Ford/Chevy battle, now it's Ferrari/bmw's turn. Then next year or the year after, whichever has a greater significance to the historic lemans battles, we'll get a Ford/Ferrari fight. One way or another, each make will get their turn in the spotlight over a four year or so span.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 23:24 (Ref:3700705)   #4920
Maelochs
Veteran

Not sure which year Porsche gets to win with its new mid-engined chassis. I am sure they will lobby for the right to win, telling IMSA that if they cannot justify the new chassis to management the racing program will be shut down.
Old 7 Jan 2017, 01:18 (Ref:3700716)   #4921
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
A bad paint job and rushing a radical project to the track after maybe 1/3 of the development time it needed are two COMPLETELY different things..

Not to be overly pedantic... but, the Nissan failed because Torotrak couldn't deliver what they promised. And by the time they got close, the budget was out of control and the time needed to catch up before the new regulations cycle was going to be exceeded.

But, I'm sure you know that.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 7 Jan 2017, 03:54 (Ref:3700732)   #4922
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Not to be overly pedantic... but, the Nissan failed because Torotrak couldn't deliver what they promised. And by the time they got close, the budget was out of control and the time needed to catch up before the new regulations cycle was going to be exceeded.

Yes, those are the specifics issues, but at the end of the day it's not unfair to say that all of the problems likely would have been avoided if Nissan had not rushed the project. Everything happened about a year before it should have relative to when they began development.

Also, it wasn't JUST the hybrid - the suspension was woefully underdeveloped, which caused some serious stability issues in the corners. They'd pretty much gotten that fixed when the plug was pulled from what I've heard.
Old 7 Jan 2017, 03:59 (Ref:3700734)   #4923
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
[citation needed]
Same can be said of your original assertion.

Quote:
You can compare apples and oranges.
And that's their ONLY similarity(as you noted).

Quote:
You can compare marketing attempts. They're both marketing attempts.
Sure, you CAN compare, but it doesn't mean the comparison makes sense.

Quote:
If their goal was to make some motorsport nerds argue on a forum, they achieved it.
It's dialogue. It got people talking. It got them attention. And the worst case scenario is no effect on their bottom line.

Quote:
If their goal was anything else, than unfortunately BMW have made an orange.
Don't forget that many people LOVE oranges. I'm not one of them, for the record - give me a good apple any day.

But I won't deny an orange to those who like them.
Old 7 Jan 2017, 04:00 (Ref:3700736)   #4924
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post

Maybe, why they failed. Pretty optimistic statement on your part here. I saw the car in person and while I'm not an engineer, it did not look the part of the other p1s, not even close. My opinion...they were way off, with or without the hybrid system..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 7 Jan 2017, 05:30 (Ref:3700747)   #4925
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidder View Post
Maybe, why they failed. Pretty optimistic statement on your part here. I saw the car in person and while I'm not an engineer, it did not look the part of the other p1s, not even close. My opinion...they were way off, with or without the hybrid system..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Of course it didn't look like the others, it was fwd! What happened to this thread anyway?