Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Aug 2000, 20:28 (Ref:32390)   #1
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sauber has announced that Mika Salo will join Toyota's test programme at the end of the season, prior to its entry into Formula 1 in 2002.

Toyota will officially announce Salo’s signing in Spa Thursday. He will team up with Allan McNish for a year of development, before racing for the team in its debut season.

The Finn was contracted to Sauber for 2001, but was able to leave because of a performance clause that stated he could be a free agent if the Swiss squad was not in the top six of the constructors’ championship after the Hungarian Grand Prix.

The length of Salo’s contract is not known, but is said to go beyond the end of 2002. He is expected to race for the team until the end of 2003, when he would be almost 37, and is then tipped to take on a management role within Toyota.

Sauber’s press release said: 'Peter Sauber accepts the decision of Mika Salo and is convinced that he will give his best for team Red Bull Sauber Petronas in the remaining races of this season.'
But the timing of its release, one day ahead of Toyota’s press conference, appears designed to dilute the impact of Toyota’s announcement and indicates that the parting has not been wholly platonic.

Sauber’s 2001 driver line-up is expected to be all-new, with Pedro Diniz set to be released, despite bringing US$10 million (£6 million) in sponsorship.

Favourite for one seat is Brazilian Ricardo Zonta, who is replaced by Olivier Panis at BAR next season, but other candidates include Arrows’ Jos Verstappen and Prost duo Jean Alesi and Nick Heidfeld.
Old 23 Aug 2000, 23:00 (Ref:32411)   #2
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its undoubtedly the best option for a career that has rarely had the breaks it deserved. Sauber is going nowhere-there's a chance that Toyota with a full year of testing beneathe themselves might actually compete at the middle of the pack. They cannot be any worse in their first year than BAR was.

Its rumoured that the deal includes Toyota Sales dealerships.
He's setting himself up for the long term.

Bravo Mika, and congratulations.
Old 23 Aug 2000, 23:20 (Ref:32414)   #3
bondibill
Rookie

bondibill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, bravo!

Mika is a deserving driver, and Toyota are not in it just to make up the numbers.

Who will he have as a team mate in 2002?
Old 23 Aug 2000, 23:56 (Ref:32416)   #4
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is indeed the opportunity Mika so deserves.

Old 24 Aug 2000, 03:03 (Ref:32444)   #5
fastracer
Racer

United States
Irvine, California, USA
fastracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think this is a good move for Salo because one of the main reasons he went to Sauber was so he could have a chance to drive for Ferrari when Schumacher retires (remember that Ferrari pushed Salo towards Sauber in hopes of retaining him for the future since Sauber and Ferrari have a very close relationship). By going to Toyota he blows that oppurtunity. If I were him I would rather drive for Ferrari than Toyota.
Old 24 Aug 2000, 09:57 (Ref:32472)   #6
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bondibill
I agree, bravo!

Mika is a deserving driver, and Toyota are not in it just to make up the numbers.

Who will he have as a team mate in 2002?
Indeed bravo Mika. As for his team mate, I hope that McNish proves himself just as fast (if not faster) as Salo next year and joins Mika in graduating to the full race team. He's someone who also deserves a decent break.

Old 24 Aug 2000, 11:40 (Ref:32491)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Thumbs up

This is a very interesting move. BAR did not have a full year's testing before entering F1, and no team that I know of had a full year's testing by a good F1 driver before entering F1. It all depends on how good the engine is, I suppose, as Salo would be able to help develop the chassis very well. Toyota, unlike BAR, cannot survive the bad publicity of a monumental failure in its first year. There cannot be any loss of face as the other Japanese company is in F1 already, and scoring points. I think they should hire Adrian Newey!!