Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Jan 2003, 16:22 (Ref:463636)   #1
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frentzen and the Sauber

Whoa, no need to worry about Sauber slipping further next year... I can't believe I missed this. Until just now I didn't know (or at least, assuming F1 racing net is right) he was going to be driving for them. I knew Massa was free but didn't know who replaced him.

Things look good for that team if they can churn out a decent chassis to suite the engine package beause HHF is absolutely no slouchand they should not be lacking for hp or lightness... Dizamn, how'd I miss this?

Do we hear any takers on Sauber beating Renault? I'll only give you 3:2 odds though.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 16:33 (Ref:463643)   #2
TheGreatJuan
Racer

TheGreatJuan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schumi will make sure Frentzen does not get a car that is within the second of his Ferrari. If so Frentzen might end up lapping Schumi in those driver tracks
Old 4 Jan 2003, 16:35 (Ref:463646)   #3
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TheGreatJuan
Schumi will make sure Frentzen does not get a car that is within the second of his Ferrari.
Oh boy. How is that?
Old 4 Jan 2003, 16:39 (Ref:463652)   #4
TheGreatJuan
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Oh boy. How is that?
Take a look at their stats when they drove similar cars in their early career. You might find that Schumi was quite a clown, specially in DTM.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 16:49 (Ref:463656)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Schumacher beat Frentzen in German F3, was faster in Sportscars most of the time, and I don't think he did anything other than occasional DTM races, and Touring Cars are very different to F1 cars (guys like Schneider, Winklehock adn Tarquini have won major Touring Car titles after achieving little in F1 (although Tarquini showed pretty well).

By the time Michael was setting F1 alight, Frentzen was struggling in Japanese F3000. I couldn't imagine Michael being well off Jacques' pace in a good Williams, or behind Trulli in the Jordans. He's good, but not as good as Michael.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 17:09 (Ref:463672)   #6
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's no schumacher for sure, but I think he can be quick enough to catch the Renaults.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 17:17 (Ref:463679)   #7
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only mistake Frentzen made was leaving Mercedes sportscars in 1991 to race in F3000 with a team that wasn't good enough for various reasons. Had he stayed with Mercedes, he might have got the F1 break with Jordan instead of Schumacher, especially seeing as he'd driven for Jordan in F3000 in 1990.

He was as good as Schumacher at Mercedes but Michael has developed much better and reached his full potential in F1.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 18:04 (Ref:463701)   #8
TheGreatJuan
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Kex
The only mistake Frentzen made was leaving Mercedes sportscars in 1991 to race in F3000 with a team that wasn't good enough for various reasons. Had he stayed with Mercedes, he might have got the F1 break with Jordan instead of Schumacher, especially seeing as he'd driven for Jordan in F3000 in 1990.

He was as good as Schumacher at Mercedes but Michael has developed much better and reached his full potential in F1.
Don't forget that Schumi got a better manager. Who else would have gotten him such a nice contracts
Old 4 Jan 2003, 21:41 (Ref:463847)   #9
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by TheGreatJuan
Don't forget that Schumi got a better manager. Who else would have gotten him such a nice contracts
Weber may have gotten him into the Jordan seat.

But I think it was Michael himself (i.e. the way he drove that Jordan) who has gotten him into the Benetton contract.

And the fact that Ferrari signed him has probably more to do with Michaels results (and driving skills) in the Benetton, than with Weber's managing skills...
Old 4 Jan 2003, 21:52 (Ref:463860)   #10
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please TGJ, I beg of you, stop making these wild remarks. The minute JPM gets the WDC these quotes will be thrown right back at you.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 22:14 (Ref:463884)   #11
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Please TGJ, I beg of you, stop making these wild remarks. The minute JPM gets the WDC these quotes will be thrown right back at you.
wich will be one year after DC becomes WDC??
Old 5 Jan 2003, 00:48 (Ref:464022)   #12
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find Frentzen to be a better choice than Massa.. so they should have a better year, following that Jordi-logic
Old 5 Jan 2003, 01:02 (Ref:464039)   #13
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely a better choice than Massa - HHF's performances in the Arrows were superb.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 01:33 (Ref:464061)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Completely agree with Mfan. Massa is not F1 material at the moment. HHF drove magnificently - when he had the chance - last year.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 07:15 (Ref:464213)   #15
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Completely agree with Mfan. Massa is not F1 material at the moment. HHF drove magnificently - when he had the chance - last year.
But I still think Jos could have done the same(or even better) with that car, it was so much better than the A22(and the Asiatech engine)
Old 5 Jan 2003, 08:09 (Ref:464232)   #16
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, but Steve, you are biased!
Old 5 Jan 2003, 11:06 (Ref:464316)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bernoldi matched Verstappen. Frentzen trounced Bernoldi. Frentzen is a triple Grand Prix winner, took Jordan on anotehr level and often matched Villeneuve. Verstappen can't even remember to brake when the race leader has just lapped you, and ahs been trashed by every decent team-mate he's ever had, and even by journeymen like De La Rosa.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 12:19 (Ref:464373)   #18
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just my opinion on the Sauber battle next year, I honestly think Heidfeld can rise to the occasion. Against Kimi in 2001, he was fantastic and IMO clearly the better driver. This year, disappointed at not being at Mclaren, and partnering an erratic Massa, he was off colour. I am sure next year he'll be back where he was in 2001. Heidfeld is a great talent, underrated by SO many people.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 12:40 (Ref:464405)   #19
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Bernoldi matched Verstappen. Frentzen trounced Bernoldi. Frentzen is a triple Grand Prix winner, took Jordan on anotehr level and often matched Villeneuve. Verstappen can't even remember to brake when the race leader has just lapped you, and ahs been trashed by every decent team-mate he's ever had, and even by journeymen like De La Rosa.
Have you actually been watching F1 during the last 3 years?
Old 5 Jan 2003, 15:21 (Ref:464497)   #20
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frentzen has shone quite a few times in his career. He has proven to be a great asset to a team, once he is actually listened to. At Arrows last year, he got the seat (and a first test) on februari 7th. The first 'real' test he got the week before the Spanish GP. That test proved immediatly fruitful. HHF will do more than ok in the Sauber. It will also be judgement-season for Heidfeld.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 15:35 (Ref:464505)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
But I still think Jos could have done the same(or even better) with that car, it was so much better than the A22(and the Asiatech engine)
yer, right!
Old 5 Jan 2003, 15:37 (Ref:464507)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Quote:
Originally posted by Don K
Have you actually been watching F1 during the last 3 years?
I'd say that Boots has been watching F1 for the last 3 years
Old 5 Jan 2003, 15:47 (Ref:464513)   #23
TheGreatJuan
Racer

Yeah. Boobs had that one right
Old 5 Jan 2003, 15:56 (Ref:464518)   #24
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boots was spot on.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 00:00 (Ref:464932)   #25
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Schumi will make sure Frentzen does not get a car that is within the second of his Ferrari.
So Michael is Frentzen's manager now? Well what happened in 97 when Heinz inherited the best car in the field.

Quote:
If so Frentzen might end up lapping Schumi in those driver tracks
I dont remember Michael being lapped to often in 97. In fact, I remember Michael convincingly beating Heinz.... and do you mean 'driver' tracks like Spa and Suzuka ? Pllleaaassseee!!!!!

Last edited by z2252314; 6 Jan 2003 at 00:01.