Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Mar 2006, 04:55 (Ref:1544103)   #1
ggreen29
Racer

ggreen29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Qually was based on Fastest Lap...

If the grid had been based on the fastest time in any session, the bottom 12 would've remained the same, but the top ten would've changed quite a bit. Most importantly, the fastest man wasn't on pole; pole was given to the 3rd fastest. Here's how the grid would've turned out (apologies for the column hash):

Pos Driver Car Official Lap Fastest Lap
4...Alonso Renault 1:31.702 1:31.215
6...Barrichello Honda 1:32.579 1:31.322
1...M.Schumacher Ferrari 1:31.431
2...Massa Ferrari 1:31.478
5...Montoya McLaren-Mercedes 1:32.164 1:31.487
3...Button Honda 1:31.549
9...Fisichella Renault 1:33.496 1:31.831
10..Heidfeld Sauber-BMW 1:33.926 1:31.958
8...Klien RBR-Ferrari 1:33.112 1:32.106
7...Webber Williams-Cosworth 1:33.006 1:32.309
11...Villeneuve Sauber-BMW 1:32.456*
12...Rosberg Williams-Cosworth 1:32.620*
13...Coulthard RBR-Ferrari 1:32.850*
14...Trulli Toyota 1:33.066*
15...Liuzzi STR-Cosworth 1:33.416*
16...Speed STR-Cosworth 1:34.606* 1:33.995
17...Schumacher Toyota 1:34.702**
18...Albers MF1-Toyota 1:35.724**
19...Monteiro MF1-Toyota 1:35.900**
20...Sato Super Aguri-Honda 1:37.411**
21...Ide Super Aguri-Honda 1:40.270**
22...Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes No time

In other words, Pole position isn't what it used to be...and TGF didn't really break Senna's record, did he?
Old 12 Mar 2006, 05:26 (Ref:1544109)   #2
LiveandLetDrive
Rookie

LiveandLetDrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the rules require the final session to be started with the same fuel load as the race will be started with, the final session's times are very likely to be slower than the fastest 2nd session times.

"If I hadn't got into traffic"
"If our engines hadn't blown up every weekend" ;-)

The winner is the one who makes the best of the rules and the situations as they are. Racing is no place for could've/would've/should've. If you win, you deserved it, because one way or another you played your cards right and ended up on top.

Pardon the rant but surely I'm not the only one who gets tired of the "if" in F1 and, well, life in general.

-Chris
Old 12 Mar 2006, 06:20 (Ref:1544129)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If you look at the Formula1.com presentation of the results, it says the same thing. I wondered why they did it.

However I also think this format is a less certain demonstration of which car is the best than the "old" system so we'll see how it pans out later today.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 06:29 (Ref:1544134)   #4
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it just let fuel still to be a issue which is great , Ralf and Kimmi can still be in with a shoot with the right plan
MS pole is fine with Senna record will be beat and thats that . stop crying over spilt milk
Old 12 Mar 2006, 06:34 (Ref:1544138)   #5
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreen29
In other words, Pole position isn't what it used to be...and TGF didn't really break Senna's record, did he?
Sure he did. That's like saying the person with the fastest lap in the race should win it! There's no reason why you have to push 100% in either of the first or second sessions, in fact there's every reason not to do so. All you have to do is put yourself comfortably in the to 16 and 10 respectively, then go for it at the end of the final session.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 06:47 (Ref:1544154)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Webber
it just let fuel still to be a issue which is great , Ralf and Kimmi can still be in with a shoot with the right plan
I think I see your point.................

Quote:
MS pole is fine with Senna record will be beat and thats that . stop crying over spilt milk
A bit harsh. As has been said the rules are different but the result is the same.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 06:55 (Ref:1544165)   #7
Bellof
Racer

South Africa
South Africa
Bellof should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
right, he only equaled it. for now...;-)
Old 12 Mar 2006, 07:28 (Ref:1544176)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreen29
Pos Driver Car Fastest Lap

6...Barrichello Honda 1:31.322
Rubens fastest time was actually a 1:32.322 , a whole second slower than quoted here. (according to ITV-F1)
Old 12 Mar 2006, 13:32 (Ref:1545085)   #9
chrisrb2002
Racer

United Kingdom
Its's dark but I can see a bright light.
chrisrb2002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He may have equalled Senna's record, but senna did his in 11 seasons wheras schumacher has taken... what nearly 16 seasons. If Senna had been given antother 3 seasons, what would Schumacher's record look like now same as, less? no Would Hill, Hakkinnen, Villeneuve be WDC.
Schumacher 3 times champion?
Old 12 Mar 2006, 13:35 (Ref:1545088)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I think today's race proved my point about the level of uncertanty. So does the current format provide for more entertainment?
Old 12 Mar 2006, 13:40 (Ref:1545100)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At present it looks like it does provide more excitement. As mentioned, Alonso went for it much mroe in the low-fuel sessions but Michael got the perfect lap with fuel - aided by running lighter as it turned out.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 13:43 (Ref:1545105)   #12
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, the major difference one has to take into account is that Senna was killed a few years ago. How can we even compare? I mean, MS has been running for much longer. Moreover, this kind of stats is not very accurate, cause most drivers started on mediocre teams so they couldn't take pole etc etc. It's not such a big deal I guess.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 13:45 (Ref:1545108)   #13
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
gezz I hate being right (ref my comments b4 race on Kimmi)
Old 12 Mar 2006, 13:48 (Ref:1545112)   #14
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
sorry for the db post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menelaos
Well, the major difference one has to take into account is that Senna was killed a few years ago. How can we even compare? .

thats just it F1 changes so much you can not MS has won more titles and will be recorded as THE BEST its life deal with it
the Pole record was bound to fall they have more races now !!!!!
Old 12 Mar 2006, 14:10 (Ref:1545135)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
thats just it F1 changes so much you can not MS has won more titles and will be recorded as THE BEST its life deal with it
the Pole record was bound to fall they have more races now !!!!!
Exactly what language are you writing in?
Old 12 Mar 2006, 14:36 (Ref:1545171)   #16
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
why! do u need glasses?
Old 12 Mar 2006, 14:42 (Ref:1545176)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Nope, you need writing lessons.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 14:48 (Ref:1545181)   #18
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
no just spell check
Old 12 Mar 2006, 15:36 (Ref:1545209)   #19
ggreen29
Racer

ggreen29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveandLetDrive
The winner is the one who makes the best of the rules and the situations as they are. Racing is no place for could've/would've/should've. If you win, you deserved it, because one way or another you played your cards right and ended up on top.
And that's my whole point in a sideways kinda way. At one time Pole position was the fastest car/driver combo, since everyone drove on a light fuel load. Then came the parc ferme rules, and pole position became a combination of car/driver/strategy. Now it's even further removed and has become the car/driver/strategy who manuevers through the rules in a way, relative to others' manueverings, that puts him on top, at a specific time.

At least now we have the opportunity to see what the cars do on a similarly light load and the adjusted times reflect that.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 18:54 (Ref:1549709)   #20
jha07
Rookie

jha07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree. I don't care for the different fuel load variable. And on a side note, I hate this new qualifying system. It's suppose to be more entertaining, but I think it's a big bore! The first 2 sessions are a big waste of time because few people really care who qualifies 11th-22nd. And the last session is boring too because everyone just waits till the last 5 mins before actual doing their fast lap times. So you end up watching 55 minutes of nothing, followed by 5 minutes frantic action. Too much for the TV to cover. I prefer the old one lap qualifying.
Old 17 Mar 2006, 16:05 (Ref:1551197)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jha07
The first 2 sessions are a big waste of time because few people really care who qualifies 11th-22nd.
Tell that to Kimi and Ralf, 2 big names who went out in the first 15 minutes.
Old 17 Mar 2006, 17:08 (Ref:1551257)   #22
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course, this way the fastest guy might not be on pole, but if people want to see passing, it's got to be like this... we're never happy...
Old 17 Mar 2006, 17:28 (Ref:1551270)   #23
jha07
Rookie

jha07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
Tell that to Kimi and Ralf, 2 big names who went out in the first 15 minutes.
Well, kimi broke so it wouldn't matter what qualifying system we had, he'd still be last. And Ralf just sucked all weekend. BTW, do u actually like the new qualifying system?