Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 15 Oct 2012, 16:59 (Ref:3152398)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
NASCAR broadcasting rights

It's just been announced that Fox Sports Media Group will increase their Nascar broadcasting deal.

From 2015 to 2022, the Fox Sports Media Group will broadcast:

o- 13 Nascar Cup points races on Fox (terrestrial network), which includes all races from the Daytona 500 to the 600 at Charlotte.
o- The Daytona Shootout, Duel at Daytona, Daytona 500 qualifying and the All-Star Race.
o- All NASCAR Truck Series races.

They will also have right to broadcast all this (which means they can choose not to):

o- All practice and qualifying sessions for Fox Sports Group races.
o- Television reruns and video-on-demand for 24 hours after the races.
o- Extra programmes like news shows, talk shows, pre and post race shows, etc.

Fox Sports Media Group will have internet broadcasting rights to:

o- TV Everywhere – live broadcasting of Fox Sports Media Group races.
o- Pre and post-race coverage.
o- In-progress race highlights.
o- Replays of Fox Sports Media Group races.
o- Race highlights.

The stuff Fox Sports Media Group will not have rights (for now) are:

o- Nascar Cup races from June to November, plus the respective practice qualifying broacasts and internet broadcasting.
o- Nascar Nationwide races.

Now the question is which channels will broadcast Cup qualifying and Truck races. Fox network, Fox Sports 1, Fuel?
Old 15 Oct 2012, 17:01 (Ref:3152399)   #2
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Oops, I also forgot the Fox Deportes stuff. But only 6 of the 15 Cup races will be live, so it's pretty bad deal.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 01:32 (Ref:3152624)   #3
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
It's just been announced that Fox Sports Media Group will increase their Nascar broadcasting deal.

From 2015 to 2022, the Fox Sports Media Group will broadcast:
You say I have to listen to Mike Joy and the Waltrips how many times, for how many years?
Old 16 Oct 2012, 01:38 (Ref:3152627)   #4
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The FOX Deportes deal is great for those six races, though. As a Spanish-speaker, it's very nice to be able to avoid the dreaded FOX team while still understanding the commentary (even if you don't, Spanish is a much prettier language to listen to than English, which lacks flow).

It blows my mind that a team of Darrell Waltrip, Michael Waltrip, Jeff Hammond, Chris Myers, Steve Byrnes, Matt Yocum, Krista Voda, and modern Mike Joey could have ever been assembled. All of them are categorically, undeniably awful. I say that as someone who dabbled in commentary and was categorically, undeniably awful himself.

What's sadder, I think, is that the FOX team is so, so, so wretched, and yet, they're barely worse than TNT and ESPN.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 02:21 (Ref:3152641)   #5
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
It blows my mind that a team of Darrell Waltrip, Michael Waltrip, Jeff Hammond, Chris Myers, Steve Byrnes, Matt Yocum, Krista Voda, and modern Mike Joey could have ever been assembled. All of them are categorically, undeniably awful. I say that as someone who dabbled in commentary and was categorically, undeniably awful himself.

What's sadder, I think, is that the FOX team is so, so, so wretched, and yet, they're barely worse than TNT and ESPN.

In all honesty, I like Bestwick, Jarret and Petree in the booth. Main reason; at some point during the broadcast there is up 10 seconds, sometimes more, of nothing being said without some dumbass "crank it up" graphic on screen.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 05:29 (Ref:3152673)   #6
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Umm, the "Crank it Up!" thing is on the FOX broadcasts, not ABC.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 09:18 (Ref:3152735)   #7
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
You say I have to listen to Mike Joy and the Waltrips how many times, for how many years?
Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that

Michael Waltrip I can just about cope with, but Darrel really needs to be banished to the spotters gantry to keep Jeff Hammond company.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 09:25 (Ref:3152738)   #8
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post

In all honesty, I like Bestwick, Jarret and Petree in the booth. Main reason; at some point during the broadcast there is up 10 seconds, sometimes more, of nothing being said without some dumbass "crank it up" graphic on screen.
what does"crank it up" mean or do?
Old 16 Oct 2012, 10:25 (Ref:3152766)   #9
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
DW's actually a very good commentator, that was proven when he did Bathurst last year.

He just plays up that persona for Fox.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 10:33 (Ref:3152769)   #10
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
DW's actually a very good commentator, that was proven when he did Bathurst last year.

He just plays up that persona for Fox.
I thought those old guys from NASCAR who covered the B1000 last year were waaay more exciting and better then Matt White, Skaife and Crompo. booogity boooogity boooogity
Old 16 Oct 2012, 11:48 (Ref:3152802)   #11
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Mike Joy is actually an outstanding commentator.

Bestwick is competent albeit a little lightweight. He seemed unsuited to commentate on 'dega but more at home commentating on Nationwide roadcourse events. But that's a minor quibble. DJ's driving insight does not come across in the broadcast for whatever reason - to me at least whereas Petree is far better able to articulate his experiences. In fact, sometimes I've trouble remembering DJ is there at all. Boogity-boogity makes me feel unwell, oh, and MW should be arrested for those adverts and putting Mark Martin through all that torture.

Yeah, Darrell Waltrip should be kept out of the booth and put somewhere else. It'd be a loss if he was banished from broadcasting outright, mind you, put keep him out of that booth please!
Old 16 Oct 2012, 12:11 (Ref:3152817)   #12
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
I used to like Joy as a pit reporter, but beyond that, his attempts at being witty and making cliches is just down right annoying. I've always thought Bestwick was a good play-by-play man, and I much prefer him over Joy these days. I actually prefer Eli Gold but he may be too busy these days rolling the tide.

I never liked Jaws' mouth as a driver, but enjoyed some of his commentary early in his broadcast carrer about how things were in his day and his expert opinion. Like him or not, he was one of the best ever in the Cup series, but he is just too over the top as a commentator for me. Just call the damn race; that's all that needs to be done. (Grumpy Old Man warning)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Umm, the "Crank it Up!" thing is on the FOX broadcasts, not ABC.
Yes, and ABC/ESPN don't need the graphic to shut their commentators up for 15 seconds like FOX does.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 14:13 (Ref:3152879)   #13
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, the producers play a role. I have no doubt that Larry McReynolds probably knows more about stock cars than I do, but FOX really want the dynamic of goofy-trying-to-be-cool dad Mike Joy and his two obnoxious kids Larry and Darrell taking a five-hour road trip every Sunday afternoon.

ESPN's booth is by far the best. The studio is so pathetic I actually enjoy their cluelessness. The pit reporters? Jamie Little has always lacked situational awareness, from her forgetting that Paul Dana had died the morning of the 2006 Homestead IndyCar race to her inability to ever pick the right time to try to talk to someone. I am surprised she has yet to jump over the wall with the crew during a pit stop and stick her microphone in a driver's car. More of her interviews end in..."oh...he's busy right now...we'll talk to him later."

Of course, I love when ESPN gets to the NNS road courses, too, because then I get to play a little game I invented:

By the way, a younger Allen Bestwick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMos7zYHO5Q#t=03m40s
Old 16 Oct 2012, 16:33 (Ref:3152958)   #14
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Classic game card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
By the way, a younger Allen Bestwick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMos7zYHO5Q#t=03m40s
And a younger Barney Hall and Eli Gold.

No doubt, MRN is STILL the best in the business, which when compared to ALL the TV broadcasters.....
Old 16 Oct 2012, 17:20 (Ref:3152977)   #15
mrfizz
Rookie

England
West Bromwich
mrfizz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I'd just be happy to be able to watch Cup races live. I couldn't give two hoots who's in the booth! (But i do think Andy Petree is the best analyst).
Old 11 Mar 2013, 18:04 (Ref:3217111)   #16
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Well, it-s been announced: Fox Sports 1 will debut next Saturday 17 August.

Quote:
o- Select NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races as soon as 2015;
o- NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races;
o- NASCAR Sprint All-Star race;
o- Daytona 500 Qualifying, Sprint Unlimited at Daytona (2014, 2017-22) and Budweiser Duel;
o- NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and NCWTS practice and qualifying sessions;
o- NASCAR RaceDay, providing pre- and post-race coverage;
o- NASCAR Victory Lane, a weekly wrap-up show;
o- Race Hub, a daily mid-day studio show with the latest from drivers, owners and garages.
Yes, there's a risk that motorsport content gets relegated. But keep in mind that there's many feeds that may turn into Fox Sports 2 and 3, for example Fox Soccer, Fox Soccer Plus and Fuel TV.

Yes, falling to lower channels than Speed is bad. But the positive is that, whereas Speed ads were only on Speed, now there will be motorsport ads on baseball, basketball, football, soccer and MMA broadcasts.

In Latin America, ESPN promotes broadcasts from the three feeds in all three feeds. IndyCar is on ESPN3, but you see ands on ESPn and ESPN+ too. Crossover advertising is the best to increase ratings.
Old 11 Mar 2013, 19:23 (Ref:3217150)   #17
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently NASCAR has a contract clause that says something to the effect that the Truck Series, All Star, Unlimited, and Duel race sessions must stay on FOX Sports 1 and Not be moved to 2 or 3. Not sure about the others.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 01:53 (Ref:3217669)   #18
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Well, it-s been announced: Fox Sports 1 will debut next Saturday 17 August.

Yes, there's a risk that motorsport content gets relegated. But keep in mind that there's many feeds that may turn into Fox Sports 2 and 3, for example Fox Soccer, Fox Soccer Plus and Fuel TV.

Yes, falling to lower channels than Speed is bad. But the positive is that, whereas Speed ads were only on Speed, now there will be motorsport ads on baseball, basketball, football, soccer and MMA broadcasts.

In Latin America, ESPN promotes broadcasts from the three feeds in all three feeds. IndyCar is on ESPN3, but you see ands on ESPn and ESPN+ too. Crossover advertising is the best to increase ratings.
Not sure if the bolded part is going to be true. If the channel is successful they will be able to sell the ad space to paying customers. Won't have to fill with their own promos, but maybe they want to support their motorsports programming so it could work out
Old 13 Mar 2013, 12:23 (Ref:3217807)   #19
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
I know it's a different business model, but here you see lots of programming ads in sports channels (and other pay channels too). The point of havving three sports feeds here is to encourage people to watch them the whle time by cross-promoting. How is ESPN and NBC Sports network on that?
Old 7 Jul 2013, 21:56 (Ref:3275086)   #20
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
The Fox Sports 1 website has more information on motorsport broadcasting:

Quote:
FOX Sports 1 also carries select NASCAR Sprint Cup Series events beginning 2015

Additionally, FOX Sports 1 carries NASCAR RaceDay, NASCAR Victory Lane and Race Hub shows.

FOX Sports continues its major commitment to motorsports programming with [...] events from around the world, including Monster Energy Supercross; MotoGP World Championship; the ARCA Racing Series; the famed 24 Hours of Le Mans; and the popular Barrett-Jackson Collector Car auctions on a FOX channel.

Regardless of whether the [soccer] games and highlights are on FOX Sports 1, FOX Soccer or any of our other services, you will see the finest action on a Fox outlet.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 00:41 (Ref:3275155)   #21
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Didn't Fox announce last year they resigned with the ACO for a multiyear deal to keep LM on Speed, now FoxSports1? Don't think they said how long the deal was but don't remember the details. I think it shows there won't be much change to the coverage from this season, NASCAR has multichannel coverage within the season already so bouncing between ESPN and Fox wouldn't surprise me.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 15:31 (Ref:3275420)   #22
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
The news is that MotoGP, Supercross and ARCA will remain in Fox Sports, at least for now. The question is: which channel, and whether it's live or not.
Old 24 Jul 2013, 04:39 (Ref:3281050)   #23
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Now, the rest of the NASCAR Cup Series will be broadcasted by... NBC SPorts Group.

Quote:
o- Final 20 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races (7 on NBC, 13 on NBCSN).
o- Final 19 NASCAR Nationwide Series races (4 on NBC, 15 on NBCSN).
o- (Select) NASCAR K&N Series and NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour events.
o- (Select) NASCAR Mexico Series events.
o- NASCAR Hall of Fame induction ceremony and season-ending banquets.
o- Live-streaming rights for Cup and Nationwide.
o- Spanish-language broadcast rights on Telemundo / Mun2 for Cup and Nationwide and Mexico series.
NBC Sports will broadcast Notredame college football, Olympics, NHL, MLS, English Premier League, IndyCar, Nascar, Formula 1, Tour de France, plus some horse racing, golf and rugby events. They will need a second feed for 2015.
Old 24 Jul 2013, 04:49 (Ref:3281052)   #24
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Mentioning the sport’s historic rivalries, the different generations that have raced in it, and how every track is unique, NBC Sports Group Chairman Mark Lazarus feels that NASCAR will be a great fit with his company’s signature style of sports coverage.

Quote:
"The mantra that we live by is two things: One, we want to tell great stories, and NASCAR, what makes it so compelling is there are wonderful stories”
Certainly so!
Old 24 Jul 2013, 05:25 (Ref:3281054)   #25
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Here's a very deep analysis of Nascar broadcasting rights. The writer is concerned about ESPN leaving the show, which I share.

So, the television rights for 3 Cup races and like 10 Nationwide races haven't been sold yet. The writer thinks that Fox will buy them.