Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 6 Aug 2013, 08:03 (Ref:3286435)   #1
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR Cup Round 22:Cheez-It 355 At The Glen

Welp, Smoke's broken his leg:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/shak...r-crash-080613

I'd expect it to be the Ambrose and Montoya show this weekend, although a few of the oval guys seem to like this new car on the road courses!
Old 6 Aug 2013, 10:48 (Ref:3286474)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's terrible news for Tony Stewart
Marcos Ambrose should do double duty this weekend...
Old 6 Aug 2013, 12:54 (Ref:3286521)   #3
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That is really bad luck for Stewart. He's currently 11th in points with 1 win. The man that could replace him for the last chase spot is the one and only...Ryan Newman.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 13:47 (Ref:3286531)   #4
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh well. I thought those flips would catch up to him sooner or later.
Comes just as his team was turning around. Be interesting to see
who is gonna fill those shoes.

I guess I would call a Said or one of the road course ringers.
How about Whincup?

Last edited by canamman; 6 Aug 2013 at 14:11.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 14:20 (Ref:3286539)   #5
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Tough break for Smoke. I guess he still can be eligible for the Chase, missing a race or 2 or having at least one win. If he can fold up enough to get his tubby ass in the seat, he'll be racing soon.

Replacement driver may be interesting this weekend. I'd put Marcos in it, but he may be "concentrating" on the Cup. Piquet is in town...
Old 6 Aug 2013, 14:28 (Ref:3286541)   #6
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oops, Boris and Ron already in rides.

My choices for the Glen #14 car are Whincup, L. Hamilton, or J. Button.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 19:03 (Ref:3286607)   #7
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
No ALMS or Grand-Am drivers...
Old 6 Aug 2013, 22:27 (Ref:3286677)   #8
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Max Papis will be Smoke's substitute in the #14 car.

http://www.jayski.com/news/stats/201...013-Entry-List

I'll be watching this race closely. Unfortunately, I'll be recovering from the pain of dental work and may be a bit under the weather, but who cares?! It's NASCAR road course racing!! 'Tis a shame they can't run road courses more often.

Also I'll be seeing where I match up on iRacing when they do the Watkins Glen races there.

Last edited by Beetle; 6 Aug 2013 at 22:31. Reason: Max Papis is in...
Old 7 Aug 2013, 01:49 (Ref:3286711)   #9
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is no pain in dental work; only painkillers.

I can see "Mad" Max doing well with at least a top 15 in the #14. He is in a great position for a ringer with a solid, seasoned team backing him-something that most of the ringers NEVER have. It'll be interesting to see what he can do, and quite honestly, I am very pleased that he got the ride.

Love these cars at The Glen. This is one of my favorite events of the season.
Old 7 Aug 2013, 02:10 (Ref:3286714)   #10
canamman
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
I'll be watching this race closely. Unfortunately, I'll be recovering from the pain of dental work and may be a bit under the weather, but who cares?!
Thats funny, me to. Crown and a filling coming up Friday. Then its off to
the GRC Saturday and in front of the tube Sun. for the Glen.

Go Max go. I heard today Max tested the #14 at Road Atlanta a few weeks ago.
Old 7 Aug 2013, 02:16 (Ref:3286716)   #11
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
Thats funny, me to. Crown and a filling coming up Friday. Then its off to
the GRC Saturday and in front of the tube Sun. for the Glen.

Go Max go. I heard today Max tested the #14 at Road Atlanta a few weeks ago.
Crown and a filling... I'm scheduled for Friday, as well. Damn, that's weird...
Old 7 Aug 2013, 03:28 (Ref:3286730)   #12
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Heavy on the meds, boys, heavy on the meds. Before you know it, it'll be next week and you'll be thinking "what procedure?"
Old 7 Aug 2013, 13:04 (Ref:3286901)   #13
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Kelly in lieu of the dinger on a road course? I mean, I guess that makes sense? Kelly has done well, from what I recall, in his NW starts, but I guess the dinger must be riding the snake that weekend....
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
2 Aussies at Mid Ohio - Owen Kelly is the #54 JGR Toyota, joining Ambrose on the grid
Kelly will also race #51 Cup car at Watkins Glen
Dinger in the #47 in lieu of Bobby Labonte, so it all makes good sense now.

FULL ENTRY LIST FROM JAYSKI
Old 7 Aug 2013, 13:15 (Ref:3286904)   #14
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Tough break for Smoke. I guess he still can be eligible for the Chase, missing a race or 2 or having at least one win. If he can fold up enough to get his tubby ass in the seat, he'll be racing soon.

Replacement driver may be interesting this weekend. I'd put Marcos in it, but he may be "concentrating" on the Cup. Piquet is in town...
'They' say he will need an additional surgery, so I think he might be done. On the plus side, he can have all the soda-cookies he can eat.
Old 7 Aug 2013, 14:45 (Ref:3286932)   #15
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I'll have to update the Max Papis article on the Spanish-language Wikipedia, it's only five lines long.
Old 7 Aug 2013, 19:55 (Ref:3287014)   #16
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Zipadelli talks about Stewart: Greg Zipadelli, Competition Director, Stewart-Haas Racing discussed #14-Tony Stewart's condition with the media Wednesday morning. A few notes:
• There currently is no timeline for Stewart's recovery or return. They will know more after the second surgery is completed;
• The team will "absolutely" need a substitute driver for at least the next 2-3 races;
• They are talking to candidates to fill in, but don't have a timeline for an announcement; possibly in the next day or so;
• Zipadelli says that as many races as Tony runs the team is lucky that this is the first time they are having to deal with this issue;
• Stewart Haas will evaluate what races Stewart competes in going forward, but there will not necessarily be any changes.
• Stewart's sponsors: "They're all disappointed and we understand that."(8-7-2013)
Old 8 Aug 2013, 22:12 (Ref:3287423)   #17
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
My picks for the 10 fastest qualifiers...

1. Marcos Ambrose
2. Juan Pablo Montoya
3. AJ Allmendinger
4. Jamie McMurray
5. Carl Edwards
6. Jeff Gordon
7. Clint Bowyer
8. Kurt Busch
9. Ron Fellows
10. Owen Kelly
Old 9 Aug 2013, 09:10 (Ref:3287527)   #18
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know there wasnt much time between Stewarts crash & Watkins Glen, but i wish they had of selected another driver. Nothing againt Papis, Said etc, but you want to see someone who may actually shock us with there pace - they wont! The same with the teams that select the same "ringers" every year - those blokes might have been competitive 6 or 7 years ago, but not today. The standard of your full-time oval driver on a road course has risen.
Pity a V8 Supercar driver or DTM driver wasnt available...
Old 9 Aug 2013, 10:24 (Ref:3287550)   #19
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Papis is strong enough for Watkins I think. Said is over the hill.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 22:26 (Ref:3287797)   #20
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Truex quickest in Practice 1, and the Dinger the quickest thus far in final practice.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 01:18 (Ref:3287840)   #21
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
I know there wasnt much time between Stewarts crash & Watkins Glen, but i wish they had of selected another driver. Nothing againt Papis, Said etc, but you want to see someone who may actually shock us with there pace - they wont! The same with the teams that select the same "ringers" every year - those blokes might have been competitive 6 or 7 years ago, but not today. The standard of your full-time oval driver on a road course has risen.
Pity a V8 Supercar driver or DTM driver wasnt available...
Said 35th, Papis not much better at 30th. Even Ron Fellows is down in 22nd.

I've been doing some serious iRacing since the NASCAR series there follows the same schedule as the real thing, and I'm happy with a 1:10.569 (I'm currently 42nd in the world). That puts me in 29th place.

Then again, the fastest iRacing time was a 1:08.244 by Brodie Kostecki. That puts poor Martin Truex Jr to shame.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 16:32 (Ref:3288036)   #22
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Qualifying is on NOW.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 18:53 (Ref:3288066)   #23
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Taz grabs the pole with a new track record. Not a surprise there.

Bowyer, Truex, Dinger and Kyle B round out the top 5.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 07:40 (Ref:3288227)   #24
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Owen Kelly 23rd - good effort
Old 11 Aug 2013, 20:10 (Ref:3288463)   #25
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
These cars arent very good at going around corners are they? Crashing everywhere.