Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone explain this one

1 year's road tax, for a 1996 Peugeot 106 with a 1124cc Petrol engine = £120
1 Year's Road tax, for a 2003 Peugeot 206 with a 1400cc Diesel Engine = £35
1 Year's road tax for a 2008 SEAT Ibiza with a 1400cc Disel Engine = £0

Why am I paying the most when I have the smallest engine??
Old 7 Aug 2008, 14:16 (Ref:2265316)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Because you have the oldest most polluting engine, admit it you're a bad man and a planet killer.
Old 7 Aug 2008, 14:32 (Ref:2265328)   #3
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
But it's much smaller than the others. Bigger engine = more pollution + Less efficiency. For ever and ever amen. Age does not even come into it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd buy an electric car [Lightning please] but I'd still drive a car, very much like yours in fact Falcie, through a greenpeace conference.
Old 7 Aug 2008, 14:44 (Ref:2265333)   #4
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
1 year's road tax, for a 1996 Peugeot 106 with a 1124cc Petrol engine = £120
1 Year's Road tax, for a 2003 Peugeot 206 with a 1400cc Diesel Engine = £35
1 Year's road tax for a 2008 SEAT Ibiza with a 1400cc Disel Engine = £0

Its Petrol

Myn for 1 year is also £120 a 2003 Fiat Punto 1242cc petrol
this is exactly the same as a 1993 Vauxhall Corsa 1196cc petrol

Last edited by mattt; 7 Aug 2008 at 14:46.
Old 7 Aug 2008, 14:45 (Ref:2265334)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I would think the difference in efficiency in engines between 1996, 2003 and 2008 is lightyears TBH.
My daughter's Corsa is a 1995 1500D (£110 tax) and my wife has a 2004 Clio 1500 turbo D (£35) and the Clio will return an extra 15-20mpg over the Corsa.
The engine management systems (Corsa doesn't have one) and designs are way ahead now.
Old 7 Aug 2008, 14:47 (Ref:2265336)   #6
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The efficency can't really make that much difference as with the 2 cars i mentioned before

The corsa got about 30 i think
The Punto gets 48
Old 7 Aug 2008, 14:56 (Ref:2265339)   #7
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt
The efficency can't really make that much difference as with the 2 cars i mentioned before

The corsa got about 30 i think
The Punto gets 48
Yes but the newer one will not pollute as much, just think of the babies for once
Old 7 Aug 2008, 14:58 (Ref:2265340)   #8
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Because it's a pre-2001 car. 2001 & later cars are taxed on CO2 emissions, cars made before 2001 are taxed purely on engine size, with a break at (I think) 1550cc. The emissions-based tax system has a lot more bands, which means boring (oops, cleaner!) cars pay comparatively much less then big ones.
Old 7 Aug 2008, 15:01 (Ref:2265344)   #9
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Yes but the newer one will not pollute as much, just think of the babies for once
Why is the tax Exactly the same then
Old 7 Aug 2008, 15:03 (Ref:2265345)   #10
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Sod 'em . as said before it is inconceivable how a bigger engine could pollute less than a smaller one no matter when it was made. It defies logic.

And don't mention electronics. As soon as I get hold of a car with electronics doing something under the bonnet, the offending article will be ripped out and smashed. Computers belong on desks, not in cars.

Quote:
Because it's a pre-2001 car. 2001 & later cars are taxed on CO2 emissions, cars made before 2001 are taxed purely on engine size, with a break at (I think) 1550cc. The emissions-based tax system has a lot more bands, which means boring (oops, cleaner!) cars pay comparatively much less then big ones.
I take it that using the "That's not fair on the drivers of pre 2001 cars" argument is not going to work then.
Old 7 Aug 2008, 15:16 (Ref:2265352)   #11
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Sod 'em . as said before it is inconceivable how a bigger engine could pollute less than a smaller one no matter when it was made. It defies logic.
It's very simple really. An old engine with a carburettor, no cat & probably a mechanical distributor has very poor control over the mixture & the combustion process - it's a matter of bung a lot of fuel in, hope most of it burns & don't bother cleaning up the exhaust. Modern cars with closed-loop control systems & cats produce much less pollution.
Old 7 Aug 2008, 15:20 (Ref:2265353)   #12
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Diesels never have the same CO2 emmision levels as petrols thats the big difference in price.

My 1600cc Fiesta cost a whopping £35 to tax last week!
Old 7 Aug 2008, 15:50 (Ref:2265380)   #13
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
It's very simple really. An old engine with a carburettor, no cat & probably a mechanical distributor has very poor control over the mixture & the combustion process
But my car has an electronic distributor and a Cat, and I'm still asked to pay a stupid amount because my car doesn't have all the other useless electronic toys new cars are saddled with.

Warning, what follows is a rant and does not necessarily represent the opinions of Ten-Tenths.
(To be honest, it probably doesn't even represent the opinions of the poster when they aren't ranting.)

Ask they can, but until they bring it to a more sensible level I will not pay it and if anyone from the DVLA comes near me I shall have them prosecuted for harassment. About time that useless load of *******s in their ivory tower got a taste of reality

We now return you to our normal ramblings.
Old 7 Aug 2008, 16:02 (Ref:2265389)   #14
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt
Why is the tax Exactly the same then
May I refer you to the gentleman earlier
Old 7 Aug 2008, 17:31 (Ref:2265432)   #15
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
I posted and then i saw the previous post