Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 1 Sep 2005, 13:41 (Ref:1396428)   #1
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Disposal of Halon extinguishers

as the title says, I'm looking for advice on legal disposal rather than just chucking them over a hedge. My local fire station didn't want to know and suggested going back to the suppliers - but they are no longer in business.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 13:51 (Ref:1396440)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
The legal way would be to go to a waste disposal company that can deal with hazardous waste or you could phone your local council if you are a domestic customer and they may dispose of it for free but I doubt it. It could cost you a fortune to get rid of it legally. There could be a problem that there may not be any systems in place to dispose of Halon yet, this happened with fridges a year or two ago with over a million old ones stock pilled as they had to go to Germany to dispose of the CFC's.
All this leads to the alternative which would be to discharge it and lob it in a skip.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 15:13 (Ref:1396482)   #3
DaveStyles
Rookie

DaveStyles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aren't they useful in the corner of the workshop ?

Just in case ?
Old 1 Sep 2005, 16:13 (Ref:1396514)   #4
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
I recently found that the little travel fire extinguisher in my Caravan turned out to be Halon (yes I raised my eyebrows). Would quite like to get rid of it!
Old 1 Sep 2005, 16:28 (Ref:1396523)   #5
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Try...

http://www.hunc.org/

and

http://www.dti.gov.uk/access/att.pdf
Old 1 Sep 2005, 17:54 (Ref:1396595)   #6
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w
I recently found that the little travel fire extinguisher in my Caravan turned out to be Halon (yes I raised my eyebrows). Would quite like to get rid of it!
Why would you want to get rid of the best extinguisher ever invented? Keep it in your caravan!
Old 1 Sep 2005, 20:10 (Ref:1396718)   #7
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you have a Halon extinguisher on board your vehicle,do not attemp to travel abroad with it,heard some stories of vehicles being impounded with them on board.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 20:38 (Ref:1396747)   #8
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecktic
If you have a Halon extinguisher on board your vehicle,do not attemp to travel abroad with it,heard some stories of vehicles being impounded with them on board.
Crazy world we live in. I quite agree with enviromentalists who mention that Halon damages the ozon layer (proven fact) and that therefor it should not be 'wasted'. But how big is the damage to the enviroment if we don't put out fires in an early stadium in the most efficient way there is?

I carry a halon extinguisher in my car, I have one at home and I have one in the garage and don't expect to get arrested for it. Lucky for me I live in Holland and in this case (purely in this case) I say I'm happy to live here and not in the nut house.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1396748)   #9
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecktic
Thanks for the advice! I'll leave it at home when travelling to Brands Hatch for the A1GP.
Old 2 Sep 2005, 10:22 (Ref:1397165)   #10
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Blackcrow, thanks for the links. Armed with the info from HUNC I approached the local council who say I can drop them off at the local tip free of charge. I'll be pleasantly amazed if it's that easy....
Old 14 Sep 2005, 17:47 (Ref:1407885)   #11
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
good outcome - went to local tip, saw man in charge who said 'yup, over here mate'. No disposal fee as long as you say it's domestic rubbish not business or trade. Thanks again for the pointers blackcrow.