Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 22 Oct 2005, 05:32 (Ref:1440277)   #1
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
GBoehm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best Paint Scheme

Ok a pretty pointless thread but which car had the best paint scheme this year... Id have to say Phillipes car in Australia looks pretty sharp.
Old 22 Oct 2005, 09:30 (Ref:1440431)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team Australia, no doubt... though it could be even better.
Old 22 Oct 2005, 13:01 (Ref:1440555)   #3
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would second Nelson's car as well. The driver is performing pretty well too.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 22 Oct 2005, 14:40 (Ref:1440628)   #4
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still like the scheme that Mario haberfeld tested with before the season started the one with the black and the brazilian flag elements.
Old 22 Oct 2005, 15:50 (Ref:1440653)   #5
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frankly, I'm not a fan of any of the liveries on the current grid. None of them look very sharp, clean, or modern. Which I suppose is a side effect of not having a major sponsor.

In particular, I think the Newman Haas cars don't really have a set of championship car liveries. I found these while browsing that 'other' Champ Car forum...:

http://www.leegriffincreative.com/nh1.jpg
http://www.leegriffincreative.com/nh2.jpg
http://www.leegriffincreative.com/nh3.jpg

IMO, someone should send those in to Newman-Haas.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 16:11 (Ref:1441367)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very true about Newman-Haas. There's too much white on those cars.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 16:18 (Ref:1441375)   #7
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Upon reflection I can't think of a Newman-Haas livery I have ever liked. Maybe the K-mart Blue light special! I guess looking good is secondary when your the quickest.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 23 Oct 2005, 16:37 (Ref:1441382)   #8
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Christiano's 2002 Chevron but thats about it as NHR cars that i have liked go.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 21:44 (Ref:1441580)   #9
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Andretti's black car was a winner, though it had thousands of logos. It looked intimidating, like the 3 in NASCAR.

And the Centrix livery used at Indy this year was quite good, though it did have a lot of white, too.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 00:00 (Ref:1441646)   #10
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Best Newman-Haas livery, yes, is their IRL livery! I'd go with the deep red Budweiser livery of Fittipaldi if I had to pick one at all.

As for Champcar this year, Team Australia's is good...though I still preferred the bad colour version that someone posted at the beginning of the year that made it look more turquoise & butter coloured.

The best livery though, still Forsythe Racing in my opinion...have to love those blues!
Old 24 Oct 2005, 01:06 (Ref:1441682)   #11
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Not so much a livery but back in the days of Toyota and Honda i liked they way toyota had fitted something in the wheels that made the toyota name and logo appear in the wheel trim when the brake disc's glowed hot.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 01:46 (Ref:1441700)   #12
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really don't have a favorite for this year, but as for all-time, Team KOOL Green's metallic green for Paul Tracy...

...and metallic blue for Dario Franchitti...

They look a lot better than the original KOOL paint job...
Old 24 Oct 2005, 07:28 (Ref:1441814)   #13
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My favorite colors this year were those on Jimmy Vasser's machine. Those reds and blacks really looked sharp.

My all-time favorite has to be the Ganassi Target cars that Vasser, Zanardi, and Montoya drove. I loved that yellow lightning accent those cars had!

StickShift, those were great pictures. It really puzzles me why McDonalds did not put the 'I'm Lovin' It' slogan on Sebastian's car. It would make a lot of sense!
Old 24 Oct 2005, 13:21 (Ref:1442148)   #14
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandretti39
I really don't have a favorite for this year, but as for all-time, Team KOOL Green's metallic green for Paul Tracy...

...and metallic blue for Dario Franchitti...

They look a lot better than the original KOOL paint job...

Totally agree with your entire post.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 16:36 (Ref:1442316)   #15
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink69
Not so much a livery but back in the days of Toyota and Honda i liked they way toyota had fitted something in the wheels that made the toyota name and logo appear in the wheel trim when the brake disc's glowed hot.
You mean this?

Glowing rims

Another one
Old 24 Oct 2005, 23:14 (Ref:1442642)   #16
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
GBoehm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually those were little LED lights, not the actual brake rotor heating up
Old 24 Oct 2005, 23:14 (Ref:1442643)   #17
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This year, I think Glock's car stands out as being my favourite.....

But I still have a soft spot for PKV's 2004 livery......MAN, that was a cool looking car!
Old 24 Oct 2005, 23:51 (Ref:1442654)   #18
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBoehm
Actually those were little LED lights, not the actual brake rotor heating up
Yes, it could be seen all the time, and in the second picture you can actually see there are three rows of LEDs in the rim.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 23:59 (Ref:1442657)   #19
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Plain and rather boring, but I always liked the Penske Marlboros.

Servia drove a pretty sharp-looking silver and black machine with red highlights one year not long ago, and Walker had some cool Valvoline cars for deFerran and Gordon. There were others, but they evade my memory at the moment...
Old 25 Oct 2005, 00:43 (Ref:1442671)   #20
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
I always liked the AAR 997 Eagle's livery. The eagle head on the nose and the stars and stripes on the sidepods looked quite nice.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 05:12 (Ref:1442758)   #21
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I loved Servia's fluoro yellow Telefonica PPI Motorsports car.

And Dixon's one-off Coors Ganassi car in Denver was trick.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 05:43 (Ref:1442765)   #22
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LED's huh? Man Toyota had too much time on their hands! It was totally pointless but different certainly!
Old 25 Oct 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1443123)   #23
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Oriol's Telefonica mobile machine... http://www.motorsport.com/photos/car...gp-rk-0027.jpg

and Oriol's Sigma Autosport car... http://www.motorsport.com/photos/car...mw-bk-0124.jpg

But surely Darren Manning's 2003 Walker Racing Reynard is one of the best (Even if it could have been a Valvoline livery easily)
http://www.motorsport.com/photos/car...tl-eg-0612.jpg
Old 25 Oct 2005, 15:09 (Ref:1443132)   #24
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Those lit rims were pretty fragile and expensive, I understand. They never ran them under race conditions AFAIK, but would trot them out for quallies and practice sometimes. And you'll notice that only the guys who could keep the car off the walls got to run them!

I liked the Telefonica car too, except that it was murder to try and give a car colour over the landline (is it yellow/green/what?). I used to just call it "neon". Other, less complimentary, terms were occasionally used -- remember, this was back in the days when Servia didn't enjoy the car control he seems to have now. I also miss the "chili pepper" Herdez cars.

If we could expand this thread to "ugliest car" my votes would go either to the current Servia car (at least they could pick a better colour of purple) or that dreadful burgundy and cream job that da Matta drove a couple of years ago. Yechh.

keke

Last edited by racerkeke; 25 Oct 2005 at 15:12. Reason: cat-induced typos
Old 25 Oct 2005, 17:41 (Ref:1443223)   #25
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hollywood PacWest car of Gugelmin is my all time favourite if we're not looking just at this year. The Blue Kool 2002 of Dario is a close 2nd.

http://www.champcars.net/gallery/gal...light_big.html

(While I remember it, how about this for a McDonalds livery!)
http://www.theautochannel.com/callah...aan_tony01.jpg