Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 7 Nov 2008, 14:25 (Ref:2330086)   #1
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Top Gear Australia track

Here's the Australian TG track, which frankly isn't even a shadow of the UK track.

How about having a go of it?

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&h...13947&t=k&z=17
Old 7 Nov 2008, 15:31 (Ref:2330123)   #2
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd flip the Turn 5 chicane perpendicular to the main straight, so the tighter corner comes on entry rather than on exit.
Old 7 Nov 2008, 16:27 (Ref:2330159)   #3
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There really isn't a great deal to work with at that particular airfield. I'll see what I can come up with later.
Old 8 Nov 2008, 00:14 (Ref:2330422)   #4
xlr8r
Racer

United States
Boston, Massachusetts
xlr8r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Herea are my 2 attempts. I tried to keep as many corners and characteristics of the original as possible.

www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2382249
www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2382263
Old 8 Nov 2008, 13:46 (Ref:2330628)   #5
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good set up.

My thoughts:

Move T5 close to T6, better for slowing down. PPL may over shoot T5 and run into other cars as it is now.

take out T8 & T9 as they are too close to the finish line. Need at least 300 meters of straight prior to the finish line for most tracks.

Tracks dont need lots of corners, just well placed corners.

I think you did a very good job
Old 8 Nov 2008, 19:54 (Ref:2330761)   #6
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Flaming_Wuzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Good set up.

My thoughts:

Move T5 close to T6, better for slowing down. PPL may over shoot T5 and run into other cars as it is now.

take out T8 & T9 as they are too close to the finish line. Need at least 300 meters of straight prior to the finish line for most tracks.
1) It's a test track, there's only going to be one car on it at a time.

2) Clearly not a problem for the original Top Gear track, since their start/finish line was almost immediately after the final corner.
Old 8 Nov 2008, 20:28 (Ref:2330776)   #7
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The line just behind the corner is great fun. It makes the drivers 'give up' the exit, wich makes that corner different than others.
Old 8 Nov 2008, 20:50 (Ref:2330791)   #8
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8r
Herea are my 2 attempts. I tried to keep as many corners and characteristics of the original as possible.

www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2382249
www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2382263
My doodles ended up looking pretty close to the first of these. I didn't have a chance to post them earlier.
Old 8 Nov 2008, 22:36 (Ref:2330838)   #9
LibertyBell
Rookie

Canada
Soviet Canuckistan
LibertyBell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, let's put it this way, it isn't another Shanghai. Actually, it is decent, but I would suggest other fields.

Any word on the USA Top Gear track?

If everybody disagrees about every issue in the world, shouldn't that mean that everybody's wrong?
Old 8 Nov 2008, 22:58 (Ref:2330847)   #10
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyBell
Well, let's put it this way, it isn't another Shanghai. Actually, it is decent, but I would suggest other fields.

I'm tempted to say a drag strip as stereotypically American cars and corners don't mix very well.
Old 9 Nov 2008, 22:05 (Ref:2331228)   #11
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyBell
Well, they did have a track laid out for the Top Gear US's pilot back in July, but I guess no one in the studio would be able to map it out from memory.
Old 9 Nov 2008, 22:38 (Ref:2331246)   #12
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming_Wuzzle
Well, they did have a track laid out for the Top Gear US's pilot back in July, but I guess no one in the studio would be able to map it out from memory.
"The pilot will be filmed at a secret location around Los Angeles equipped with a race track and hangar where the show will be filmed in front of a audience."

all I could find. Willow Springs comes to mind
Old 10 Nov 2008, 21:23 (Ref:2332721)   #13
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Quote:
"The pilot will be filmed at a secret location around Los Angeles equipped with a race track and hangar where the show will be filmed in front of a audience."

all I could find. Willow Springs comes to mind
Here's where they recorded the pilot, though if NBC ends up picking it up, they might move somewhere else because El Toro is being redeveloped.

Last edited by Flaming_Wuzzle; 10 Nov 2008 at 21:28.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 09:00 (Ref:2332965)   #14
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...05579&t=k&z=15

that's a hell of a lot more scope than the UK version, let alone the Aussie version...
Old 11 Nov 2008, 13:27 (Ref:2333098)   #15
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
El Toro is not a race track, but Marine air base
Old 11 Nov 2008, 15:37 (Ref:2333163)   #16
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The top gear track isn't a race track, its just a disused airfield with a track based upon the runways and taxiways
Old 11 Nov 2008, 16:27 (Ref:2333179)   #17
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here is my attempt on the track.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 20:51 (Ref:2333341)   #18
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
They closed it in the 1990's because of urban growth and noise complaints.

Same thing happened to Miramar NAS(Top Gun) in San Diego. It's nearly closed.

I'd never use Big Willow Springs for a show like this. The place is too dangerous and too hard for some of the amateurs that Top gear has on the show. It's the freakiest track I've ever been on.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 22:13 (Ref:2333414)   #19
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
They closed it in the 1990's because of urban growth and noise complaints.

Same thing happened to Miramar NAS(Top Gun) in San Diego. It's nearly closed.

I'd never use Big Willow Springs for a show like this. The place is too dangerous and too hard for some of the amateurs that Top gear has on the show. It's the freakiest track I've ever been on.
does that show how bad the drivers are?

Willow Springs or even the smaller Streets of Willow would be just fine.

Where else would they go? Spring Mountain NV is too far away.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 00:45 (Ref:2333490)   #20
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
does that show how bad the drivers are?

Willow Springs or even the smaller Streets of Willow would be just fine.

Where else would they go? Spring Mountain NV is too far away.
For testing of street cars and/or having amateur's drive, you need a wide open airfield.

Willow Springs is too dangerous for this type of work and I would never recommend it. It's hard to learn, too fast, too many issues with safety with ditches and track drop offs and has some blind spots. I know because I have ridden right seat with amateurs around it and it's not pleasant. People get killed there all the time.

Streets is too much the other way. For all the things Top Gear does they just need a wide open airfield.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 04:12 (Ref:2333538)   #21
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Quote:
For all the things Top Gear does they just need a wide open airfield.
Yeah...the problem is finding another suitable airfield in the LA area, since I doubt El Toro will be around for the length of Top Gear US's run.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 13:11 (Ref:2333700)   #22
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
For testing of street cars and/or having amateur's drive, you need a wide open airfield.

Willow Springs is too dangerous for this type of work and I would never recommend it. It's hard to learn, too fast, too many issues with safety with ditches and track drop offs and has some blind spots. I know because I have ridden right seat with amateurs around it and it's not pleasant. People get killed there all the time.

Streets is too much the other way. For all the things Top Gear does they just need a wide open airfield.

Need a better instructor in the right seat.

PPL get hurt on race tracks do to thinking they can drive a sports car. Better training and instructors .

If an instructor while riding with a student gets scared, In THAT moment, the instructor must get that student into the pits and have a talking too. If the instructor doesn't he may not get a second chance.

putting people in high powered cars on an unrestricted peice of concreat or asphalt is just asking for trouble.

But what the heck, ppl watch NASCAR and Wildest Police chases on TV for the crashes.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 21:09 (Ref:2333919)   #23
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
To be fair, the untrained drivers would only be in something on the slower end of the spectrum. Supposedly, TGUS is using a Kia Rio, which only reaches 119mph/192kph top speed. The faster cars would be tested by a professional.

Still, you don't need to be putting amateur drivers on a course with barriers everywhere. That's why Top Gear uses an airfield; if someone makes a mistake and goes off, they don't hit a wall and get injured. That risk is only acceptable for professionals because they know what they're doing so there's less chance of a mistake, and they're being paid to do it anyway. The amateurs that would be coming on Top Gear are pretty much just celebrities coming on to promote their movie/TV show/whatever. There's no need to put them at risk by making them drive on a dangerous track like you're suggesting.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 04:06 (Ref:2334042)   #24
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Need a better instructor in the right seat.

PPL get hurt on race tracks do to thinking they can drive a sports car. Better training and instructors .

If an instructor while riding with a student gets scared, In THAT moment, the instructor must get that student into the pits and have a talking too. If the instructor doesn't he may not get a second chance.

putting people in high powered cars on an unrestricted peice of concreat or asphalt is just asking for trouble.

But what the heck, ppl watch NASCAR and Wildest Police chases on TV for the crashes.
No I think you miss the point about what Top Gear needs and requires for the types of things it does. But I do Top Gear type work, track and course design and instruction so what do I know?
Old 13 Nov 2008, 04:12 (Ref:2334044)   #25
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming_Wuzzle
To be fair, the untrained drivers would only be in something on the slower end of the spectrum. Supposedly, TGUS is using a Kia Rio, which only reaches 119mph/192kph top speed. The faster cars would be tested by a professional.

Still, you don't need to be putting amateur drivers on a course with barriers everywhere. That's why Top Gear uses an airfield; if someone makes a mistake and goes off, they don't hit a wall and get injured. That risk is only acceptable for professionals because they know what they're doing so there's less chance of a mistake, and they're being paid to do it anyway. The amateurs that would be coming on Top Gear are pretty much just celebrities coming on to promote their movie/TV show/whatever. There's no need to put them at risk by making them drive on a dangerous track like you're suggesting.
Exactly. In this type of work reducing risk and keeping things safe as possible is #1. To do the types of stunts, SIARC, and other shenanigans TG does an airfield or level area free from obstructions is best.