Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 22 Jul 2007, 03:40 (Ref:1969579)   #1
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
PWL releases Tomas

Enge from his contract! PWL

While I think that he was on thin ice, I do not agree with his termination for this incident! But it is evidently in his contract and he was made aware of it so .....
He probably will not have a hard time finding a seat to occupy (hopefully).

L.P.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 04:13 (Ref:1969586)   #2
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this is more of a loss to PWL than to Tomas...but I suppose PWL have had a lot of damage this year and you could understand they do get sick of it...

...I think we will see Enge back in the ALMS soon without too many difficulties.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 04:56 (Ref:1969603)   #3
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Disagree completely. I understand why, but it's a detriment to their team in the long run, and probably not deserved. There's no doubt Enge deserved to be on thin ice after Lime Rock, but it's tough to ask a racing driver to race competitively without taking risks. He took one that wasn't unreasonable today in a complex scenario and there was contact. It was nothing near as idiotic as Salo's response by anyone's gauge.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 06:40 (Ref:1969649)   #4
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Salo admitted to taking Enge off to stop him winning on the radio .

Ok , Enge was on probation but this is way over the top considering that it was explained that Salo braked early cuz of a proto and the nudge by Enge was indeed small .

Question is ..... what should be done to Salo for publicly announcing on the radio that he did this intentionally ?

He was dangerous , unsporting , stupid and lucky that he didnt cause a much bigger accident .

Salo should be suspended for a time .....

If I was Mr.Risi , id be ****ed off with Salo for doing what he did .

I think Petersen are a bunch of ******s for doing what the did too !!!

Im gone right off Salo and Petersen now !!!
Old 22 Jul 2007, 07:05 (Ref:1969659)   #5
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Oh yeah ..... one good thing to come outta this , maybe we will see more of Enge in the Charouz Lola from now on !!!
Old 22 Jul 2007, 07:19 (Ref:1969663)   #6
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this is true, then Salo is indeed the villain.
PWL's loss for sure, at least in terms of pace. But he has crashed A LOT.
Perhaps we should set up a poll?
Either, were PWL right to sack Tomas, or who is the villain, Mika, Tomas or neither?
Old 22 Jul 2007, 07:34 (Ref:1969668)   #7
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't really decry either, not heavily. Tomas was not at fault here, but like Mucke in Europe he has been too aggressive and not patient enough this year. Not worth a sacking though.

In Salo's case he did something stupid, but I understand why. He was angry. He probably regrets it, but he deserves a probationary period and a stern talking to by Mr. Risi. He hasn't had a severe history of this sort of action to date, so that should be sufficient. Enge himself said as much. There's no reason this battle couldn't continue.

Funny how quickly the Risi teams seems to have forgotten the post-Sebring controversy.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 07:42 (Ref:1969670)   #8
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
mika is normally pretty calm, but there is NO EXCUSE at all for taking someone out deliberately. he should get a ban, in my opinion.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 07:49 (Ref:1969674)   #9
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, I agree with that...if anyone does such a thing, it is reprehensible...Surely there would have to be something under the sporting code for such a thing???

I wonder if either of these incidents will create a headache for the series?
Old 22 Jul 2007, 08:00 (Ref:1969679)   #10
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo
I wonder if either of these incidents will create a headache for the series?
This is America, the viewers will double
Old 22 Jul 2007, 08:06 (Ref:1969684)   #11
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not having seen the race tape yet I cannot judge on Tomas's initial move. I think PWL state clearly that any further penalty after Lime Rock would have Tomas out of the team, hence the dismissal. Salo should get a very strong penalty from ALMS after clearly stating his intention of taking out the PWL car, at this age/experience it is unacceptable, period. My mate strangerF1 already was anticipating the good environment at the Ferrari teams this weekend at Spa.... I think you'll cut the air with a knife if you walk between Ecosse and AF Corse.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 08:24 (Ref:1969693)   #12
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
In Salo's case he did something stupid, but I understand why. He was angry.
Good thing they wernt in a shooting competition then , cuz Enge would be fulla holes
Old 22 Jul 2007, 10:55 (Ref:1969790)   #13
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brielga
Not having seen the race tape yet I cannot judge on Tomas's initial move. I think PWL state clearly that any further penalty after Lime Rock would have Tomas out of the team, hence the dismissal. Salo should get a very strong penalty from ALMS after clearly stating his intention of taking out the PWL car, at this age/experience it is unacceptable, period. My mate strangerF1 already was anticipating the good environment at the Ferrari teams this weekend at Spa.... I think you'll cut the air with a knife if you walk between Ecosse and AF Corse.
For some reason I think the battle in GT2 at Spa will be heated up, at least in words

As to the dismissal of Enge. PWL's loss, yet another driver change for them in what can be described as a lost season. Perhaps Toni Vilander can take Enge's seat? Good friend of Salo (afaik), so won't get in his way, and already teammate of Müller in the FIA GT.

Regarding the Salo comments about intentionally taking out Enge. It would surprise me if IMSA does not take any further steps, as the penalty he got was given before he made these comments.

Last edited by Marcel ten Caat; 22 Jul 2007 at 10:58.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 11:25 (Ref:1969807)   #14
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most Driver Contracts have professional ethics, risk and damage clauses: ( DONT HIT STUFF) but in diplimatice wording. In addition the driver must have race insurance to pay for any damage HE or she makes to the race car.

The Idea of taking risks is one thing, but damaging the car and expeciting the team owen to say, "Well he took the risk, OH well, I will just fix the car again."

Last edited by jhansen; 23 Jul 2007 at 20:56. Reason: Auto Censor Dodge
Old 22 Jul 2007, 16:30 (Ref:1970229)   #15
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
I don't care, Salo should not be on a race track for a long time.

Deliberately taking out an opponenent is unacceptable, period.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 18:35 (Ref:1970383)   #16
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
I don't care, Salo should not be on a race track for a long time.

Deliberately taking out an opponenent is unacceptable, period.
And speaking about it on an unsecured radio frequency is completely stupid!!
Old 22 Jul 2007, 18:40 (Ref:1970386)   #17
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
And speaking about it on an unsecured radio frequency is completely stupid!!
He came out with it in the radio interview too. I think in this instance it is better to own up to it than lie, it was obvious enough without him saying anything that it is to his credit to be honest. It was a stupid move made in the heat of the moment, but I suspect a probation will be forthcoming. Completely disagree with the idea that he should not be on a racetrack for a long time, just because he owned up to something that many others have done before him, but he himself does not have a history of doing.

I've just been watching the TV coverage and it's clear that Mika checks up quickly because of the Cytosport car that has lapped him at the end of the backstraight. Enge should probably have been a little more circumspect and cautious, but he had Dyson all over the back of him so I'm not sure he had much room to feather the throttle either. It was a racing incident, and it was only because of the history that it has been regarded as anything but.

I realize that it was a written obligation between all 3 parties that Enge would be terminated if he made avoidable contact and was penalized again, but I think my real disagreement is with the officials for calling a 5 minute black flag on an incident that would normally have been termed a racing one, just because Enge was responsible. As someone pointed out in the Mid-Ohio thread, if you expect a driver to not put himself in a position where contact is theoretically possible, you might as well tell him not to show up at all.

Interesting that, in light of the TV interveiws, Dave Sims' bellicose statements seem to have been before he realized that Mika nerfed Tomas. His "...and now they are saying we hit him, it's unbelievable" seems a little weak when Salo says he did it on purpose!

Last edited by cmk; 22 Jul 2007 at 18:46.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 20:07 (Ref:1970467)   #18
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Exactly, I understand that if the contract was written between them that avoidable contact was made and a penalty assesed Enge would be dismissed then fine, no argument with the PWL team actions. Although it will kill their chances for the series championship, if its a contract it has to be followed. However, IMSA ruling the 5 min penalty for racing incidents and only 3 for retaliation shows there's something wrong with the decision making. And it does free up an experienced driver now for AM to bring at least one DBR9 over if they want to risk the IMSA response.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 20:45 (Ref:1970508)   #19
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96
Exactly, I understand that if the contract was written between them that avoidable contact was made and a penalty assesed Enge would be dismissed then fine, no argument with the PWL team actions. Although it will kill their chances for the series championship, if its a contract it has to be followed. However, IMSA ruling the 5 min penalty for racing incidents and only 3 for retaliation shows there's something wrong with the decision making. And it does free up an experienced driver now for AM to bring at least one DBR9 over if they want to risk the IMSA response.
We still have no idea what the IMSA response is. It may very well be that they deem the 5 minute penalty ( which is substantial) as the punishment for the incident and nothing more will come in the way of discipline, just continued 0 tolerance probation if he finds another ride in the ALMS. Also if his license is suspended by IMSA what if any consequences does this have with his FIA license?

L.P.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 00:48 (Ref:1970670)   #20
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
Damn is it ever confusing having this discussion in two separate threads. I'm assuming that an IMSA license revocation would not affect his FIA license unless IMSA (or another aggrieved party, perhaps Risi Competitzione?) appealed to the FIA to suspend his license on the grounds I'm having a hard time imagining the FIA accepting the argument for revocation in any case.

It's a good thing too, because it would be a pity to lose Tomas. He's quick as the devil, thrilling to watch live or on the telly, a character and (despite what Mika Salo might think right now) a real nice guy - while remaining the original bad boy. If I ever wanted to put together a dope-smoking hell-bent-for-leather GT effort, I know who I'd pick to be my #1 driver!
Old 23 Jul 2007, 02:29 (Ref:1970718)   #21
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Well having been at work and not monitoring the site and not watching the coverage yet, I'm surprised to see Tomas out of a job but I HARDLY think he'll be out of a ride for very long.

I will not comment on Salo because I haven't seen it as of this post (yet).

As who will fill the seat at Road America? - Darren Tuner

He was the last man in the car that was as quick as Tomas...

CMK is my favorite Candian... lol
Old 23 Jul 2007, 06:57 (Ref:1970846)   #22
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Okay I watched it...

Tomas didn't TRY to hit him and yes he hit him before that, but that's racing. Now the what Salo did in respect to the 2nd bump, was un-needed but in light of Mr Risi not being there and Mr Simms being almost as red as his fire suit, I can see how Salo gets a slap on the rist and nothing more.

As I said Tomas will NOT be out of a job for long. You can't be that fast and be out of work long.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 07:01 (Ref:1970849)   #23
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Oops I miss spelled Canadian...
Old 23 Jul 2007, 10:23 (Ref:1971006)   #24
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As I just said on the Mid Ohio thread, Enge's initial action at Lime Rock was a deliberate punt imo and the Ferrari people cannot be happy, they are handing things to Porsche. It is OK to employ fast drivers but they have to be able to finish races, look at Scuderia Ecosse in last year's FIA championship, speed alone is not enough, brain fade is not permissable.

I did not see the race and look forward to the replays
Old 23 Jul 2007, 11:16 (Ref:1971044)   #25
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was very very close agressive driving. Too agressive? From Enga's point of view, NO. From PWL, IMSA, Risi and Solo, YES.

The F430 is not cheap to repair, and this is not NASCAR fender bender racing.

Incidenses like those toss cost containment out the window, or toss the bumpers into the tire and armco walls.