Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 24 Oct 2014, 17:45 (Ref:3468003)   #7126
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm not going to completely dismiss this. Just because someone does something for a long time does not mean it will continue that way forever. All things must come to an end.

Audi have nothing left to prove at Le Mans. They're in a great position financially so who knows. Ditching both series would be a surprise but again, who knows. I hope it's just another rumour and they stick around for many years.

Last edited by Simmi; 24 Oct 2014 at 17:55.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 17:53 (Ref:3468006)   #7127
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I'm not going to completely dismiss this. Just because someone does something for a long time does not mean it will continue that way forever. All things must come to an end.

Audi have nothing left to prove at Le Mans. They're in a great position financially so who knows. Ditching both series would be a surprise but who knows. I hope it's just another rumour and they stick around for many years.
I agree anything is possible, but I don't like the "nothing left to prove argument". Did Porsche have anything left to prove? They came back to Protos.

Also, there is a lot left to prove when you are now going against factory efforts from Porsche, Toyota, and Nissan. Sure they have done well at Le Mans, but Audi has struggled at all the other races. A WEC championship vs all those factories would be quite satisfying.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 17:55 (Ref:3468007)   #7128
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
I can only see this happening if Audi are cocksure about their potential F1 power plant - because ditching a relatively sure thing (albeit less sure with the growing manufacturer interest) and their premier domestic competition would be a big gamble.

If this is more than a rumour, I think a significant factor will be how well Honda do next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Also, there is a lot left to prove when you are now going against factory efforts from Porsche, Toyota, and Nissan. Sure they have done well at Le Mans, but Audi has struggled at all the other races. A WEC championship vs all those factories would be quite satisfying.
Maybe they want to jump before they are pushed? Audi prototypes have rarely had sheer speed over their rivals and if the decision comes down to being slow in WEC versus being slow in F1, the latter will receive far more [negative] media coverage.

Last edited by J Jay; 24 Oct 2014 at 18:01.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 17:58 (Ref:3468009)   #7129
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I agree anything is possible, but I don't like the "nothing left to prove argument". Did Porsche have anything left to prove? They came back to Protos.
I'd argue Porsche did have more to prove given their previous wins came in completely different eras of racing. You can only PR your past for so long.

If they want to prove their hybrid technology and sell cars in 2014 here is their chance. This is the new age - and the goalposts have largely been moved by Audi.

Honestly though it's all subjective and these decisions are often made on the whims of a few empowered people.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 19:24 (Ref:3468037)   #7130
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rumors of Audi going to F1 go back a long time and nothing's ever materialized, I don't see them leaving so soon after they finally got their wish of a sportscar WC and all the manufacturer interest it's been receiving and I definitively don't see them ditching both WEC and DTM.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 19:35 (Ref:3468039)   #7131
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
If this is more than a rumour, I think a significant factor will be how well Honda do next season.
If this is more than a rumor and year is correct, then an announcement should be coming in next weeks and Honda performance will be too late for that decision.

Couple of things are odd in that story, the timing seems a bit soon versus Honda who already announced their turn in May 2013. Engines can be test benched in secrecy but for sure making things official can ramp up the pace.

And similarly the timing would cut one year off the 3-year lifetime of the current P1 car and compromise 2015 season too.

I could see them leaving P1, but not DTM. In that story it is said that by combining both of those budgets you get F1 budget... a backmarker F1 budget. Leaving DTM wouldn't make sense because of budget reasons.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 19:36 (Ref:3468040)   #7132
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Shouldn't we place/continue the Audi to F1 rumour over in the Rumour thread, as it really doesn't have anything to do with the R18?
Old 24 Oct 2014, 22:37 (Ref:3468099)   #7133
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Rumor is that Audi would partner with an existing team as an engine supplier and sponsor (think Red Bull with Renault and Infiniti), but not a full F1 team. Someone else would build the chassis.

I can't see Audi leaving either LMP1 or DTM anytime soon, but it seems that someone at Volkswagen Group wants a VAG-backed F1 program of some type. That being said, Dr. Ullrich has been against most of what he believes to be spec or non-relevant racing. Though he's slated to be likely to retire from his post within the next few years, I'd have to say that his likeliest successors would be guys like Dieter Gass or Chris Reinke, who are from the trenches at Audi and are both definite LMP-type guys (though Gass for the past couple of years has been head of the DTM program primarily).

Also, just because Audi Sport hired Dominicali after he quit his job at Ferrari as team boss earlier this year doesn't mean that there's fire or even smoke there. People from Audi Sport say that though Dominicali is an Audi Sport employee starting Nov. 1st, his role won't have anything to do directly with any race programs.

I can't see Audi or any other VAG marque in F1 aside from maybe Lamborghini, certainly as long as the majority of board members at both Audi and VAG aren't dead set on F1, and it seems that it's only seemingly a vocal minority (albeit seemingly pretty vocal) want a F1 program.

As for Audi rumors, anything new about the Michelin tire test or any other sportscar rumors?
Old 24 Oct 2014, 23:38 (Ref:3468114)   #7134
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Lamborghini have no interest in F1. They aren't even thinking of doing a factory GT program with the Huracan.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 00:13 (Ref:3468120)   #7135
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Shouldn't we place/continue the Audi to F1 rumour over in the Rumour thread, as it really doesn't have anything to do with the R18?
I was wondering what on earth could be making the R18 thread so active, so I dropped in and found it had nothing to do with the R18.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 00:38 (Ref:3468125)   #7136
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Semantics, since this is the general Audi thread.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 06:03 (Ref:3468181)   #7137
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I find this quite hard to believe. Imo Audi have been trying to make le mans part of their image, and i think they would be the last manufacturer to leave. But then again if you win something in F1 then a bigger audience might actually be aware of it.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 07:35 (Ref:3468192)   #7138
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Semantics, since this is the general Audi thread.
There is a Audi F1 thread in the F1 section
Old 25 Oct 2014, 08:11 (Ref:3468198)   #7139
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
To be honest the three threads we use for the manufacturers should just be renamed Audi, Toyota and Porsche. That would be a more accurate representation of what is posted in there.

Honestly the more I think about the Audi to F1 idea the more I can see it happening. A huge new motorsport HQ. The arrival of Domenicalli. Porsche getting up to speed in the WEC. Dr Ullrich coming to the end of his tenure.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 08:17 (Ref:3468205)   #7140
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know, it would be nice if Audi would win 3 more to tie in with Porsche before bowing out for good 'cause I believe that there would be more politicking when it comes to who's becoming Volkswagen's main arm in the Le Mans effort.

Currently, Volkswagen Group has 30+ Le Mans victories being shared by 3 marques.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 09:38 (Ref:3468227)   #7141
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Endurance Racing is part of Audi's DNA and is being exploited as a very efficient marketing tool. Opting to run as an F1 engine supplier or partner in what is in effect a declining series simply makes no sense. I do trust that the Boards of Audi and of the VW Group now have sufficient evidence demonstrating that they are far better running in the WEC than in F1, even if this means having two sister companies fighting in the same series for the next decades.

If there is one Board member at the VW Group suggesting that Audi should run in F1, he or she should resign immediately...
Old 25 Oct 2014, 11:24 (Ref:3468267)   #7142
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Endurance Racing is part of Audi's DNA and is being exploited as a very efficient marketing tool.
Really? Most people I know dont know Audi & Le Mans - they all know F1 & Mercs
Old 25 Oct 2014, 11:32 (Ref:3468268)   #7143
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80 View Post
There is a Audi F1 thread in the F1 section
Is this the F1 subforum?
Old 25 Oct 2014, 11:36 (Ref:3468272)   #7144
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80 View Post
Really? Most people I know dont know Audi & Le Mans - they all know F1 & Mercs
I guess that those who know about and buy Audi, do know about Audi's achievements in Endurance Racing. It's a question of culture I assume.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 13:00 (Ref:3468296)   #7145
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eventually they will leave Endurance, nothing last forever. I prefer they stay and fight with new brands (if possible).

My bet is they will in 2016-17-18 (only board members know) go to F1, stay at least 3 years, hope to win something, and IF the things not going well they will return "BIG" in Endurance with a Gasoline engine and with a massive hybrid engine ( courtesy of the F1 experience gain).
Old 25 Oct 2014, 15:57 (Ref:3468345)   #7146
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
If Audi move into F1 at any time during the next 20 years at the expense of both LMP1 and DTM, I'll eat my hat.
Given that they've only raced LMPs for about 15 years (and there was a brief period when only their backed customers seriously raced them), such period of time you say seems far too stretched... maybe five or I'll eat my hat
Old 25 Oct 2014, 20:11 (Ref:3468378)   #7147
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wow, Audi came straight out and addressed the rumour. Good news for sportscar fans!

Quote:
@Audi__Sport
#Audi in F1? There rumors keep appearing with regularity since years. It's pure speculation again this time and without any foundation
Quote:
@Audi__Sport
#Audi Sport is committed to the @FIAWEC , @DTM and GT racing. In 2015 we will add the Audi Sport TT Cup to our program #welcomechallenges
https://twitter.com/Audi__Sport
Old 25 Oct 2014, 20:12 (Ref:3468380)   #7148
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://twitter.com/audi__sport/stat...03398727565312

@Audi__Sport: #Audi in F1? There rumors keep appearing with regularity since years. It's pure speculation again this time and without any foundation

So I guess this explains everything.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 21:17 (Ref:3468397)   #7149
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
So they addressed the F1 part of the rumour, but not the Alonso part.........

I'm kidding, I'm kidding........
Old 25 Oct 2014, 21:17 (Ref:3468398)   #7150
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
According to Sport Audi, Audi have been testing with 4MJ and 6MJ ERS at Estoril. If Audi can make the jump to the 6MJ hybrid, that would be quite a surprise.