Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 12 Apr 2010, 20:02 (Ref:2671613)   #76
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
Only because Simona spun late in the race....
Well, unless it was because of a mechanical error, how does that not count?
Old 12 Apr 2010, 20:17 (Ref:2671628)   #77
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simona said on her facebook page that she downshifted into first, and apologized to her crew.

Maybe Long Beach will be better...she is quite familiar with the course, and learning the car.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 20:25 (Ref:2671631)   #78
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Well, unless it was because of a mechanical error, how does that not count?
Never said that it didn't, but head-to-head, Simona has been faster in virtually every session at the first three events.

She'll have some racing luck that isn't bad and will finish ahead of Danica on one of the road courses...possibly Long beach, given the way Danica has been struggling thus far.

There was a story about these issues on Danica in Saturday's Indianapolis Star...she can't figure out why things aren't working on the rc/sc events.

I'll see if there is still a link.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 12 Apr 2010, 20:29 (Ref:2671635)   #79
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here is the link to her interview.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...ck-of-the-pack

Sounds like she and her engineers just can't get a handle on it at this time.

Now on the ovals, it'll be a different story since Simona hasn't really driven on them...

Old 17 Apr 2010, 13:21 (Ref:2674240)   #80
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being on a one car team puts you at an immediate disadvantage anywhere you go, but it will hurt Simona even more on the ovals as set-up is paramount and the engineers won't have as much data to go by. Being quick on an oval is not terribly difficult given a well set-up car as many drivers that have come from road racing backgrounds have proven and that includes Danica, who won 2/3 poles back in her first season of Indycar racing. Katherine Legge also had one of her best races in ChampCar on the oval at Milwaukee in 2006.

Last edited by Raven; 17 Apr 2010 at 13:29.
Old 18 Apr 2010, 09:26 (Ref:2674718)   #81
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that at this moment there isn't comparison between the two drivers...and it is in favour of Simona...we will see on ovals, there the bigger experience of Danica (and her team) will get her an advantage...
Old 18 Apr 2010, 09:45 (Ref:2674741)   #82
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
N.A-D.R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simona is faster, Danica is hotter.
Old 18 Apr 2010, 09:51 (Ref:2674746)   #83
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Danica the most over-rated/hyped sportsperson anywhere?
Old 18 Apr 2010, 10:36 (Ref:2674774)   #84
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
over-rated/hyped sportsperson?

c'mon, Danica is the greatest driver ever! she doesn't have to do silly little things like win races or championships to be a successful driver? lol hell a bikini photoshoot here and there and she instantly one of the world's best.

hmmm...

*thinks about it*

okay, she's over-rated
Old 18 Apr 2010, 12:34 (Ref:2674875)   #85
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
okay, she's over-rated
They said that about Jenson Button, look where he ended up given a good enough wagon...
Old 18 Apr 2010, 17:36 (Ref:2675114)   #86
Bernard Bram
Racer

Bernard Bram has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Is Danica the most over-rated/hyped sportsperson anywhere?
Anna Kournikova?
Old 18 Apr 2010, 19:20 (Ref:2675221)   #87
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTeK View Post
They said that about Jenson Button, look where he ended up given a good enough wagon...
She does have a "good enough wagon" and has had a "good enough wagon" all along in IndyCar.

Rahal and Andretti have had top-notch teams...she has the gear under her...she doesn't have the chops to get it done...

Sorry, but that doesn't cut it...

Old 19 Apr 2010, 03:14 (Ref:2675509)   #88
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
as Tim said...

She does have a "good enough wagon" and has had a "good enough wagon" all along in IndyCar.

Old 20 Apr 2010, 10:07 (Ref:2676432)   #89
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Bram View Post
Anna Kournikova?
well done - somehow I'd forgotten Anna!

anyone else?
Old 24 Apr 2010, 10:03 (Ref:2678919)   #90
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
In Anna's defence, she is much hotter than Danica.

Oh, err............

The humanity!
Old 25 Apr 2010, 22:04 (Ref:2679642)   #91
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to genuinely rate Danica as a decent driver, one of the better drivers in the IRL at least. But now I feel her best days may very well be behind her. I don't get the impression she's as ambitious as she once was and I (as a genuine Danica fan) am not as excited to see her drive anymore.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 22:44 (Ref:2679655)   #92
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
I used to genuinely rate Danica as a decent driver, one of the better drivers in the IRL at least. But now I feel her best days may very well be behind her. I don't get the impression she's as ambitious as she once was and I (as a genuine Danica fan) am not as excited to see her drive anymore.

Wow - that's big. I remember you being one of her biggest advocates
Old 28 Apr 2010, 17:48 (Ref:2681267)   #93
Road America Fan
Rookie

United States
Road America Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
I don't get the impression she's as ambitious as she once was
"Some day, some day my dream will come" - That will only get you so far. After a while reality sets in. Give it five more years without a win and she'll be an announcer for ABC.

She she knows she doesn't have the talent, especially this year with the addition of Simona.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 01:49 (Ref:2681424)   #94
David
Racer

United States
Noblesville, IN, USA
David should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Danica certainly does have talent and I was there at Mid-Ohio to capture it on film, er...whatever a digipic is captured on:

About 13.7 billion years ago I heard a very loud noise - did you hear it?
Old 29 Apr 2010, 11:45 (Ref:2681597)   #95
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So far, Simona has not achieved the goal to finish a race ahead of Danica, (that is a race in which both women finish).

Yet, for a rookie, she has done very well. She even led her first race for a few laps while being out of pit sequence.

Now we're heading towards the ovals. Danica will most likely have the upper hand there. It shall be interesting to see how she makes her comeback after this dry spell of a start to the season.

When the next 4 road courses are lining up on the calendar, the Danica vs Simona thread should get more interesting again.
Old 30 Apr 2010, 15:27 (Ref:2682236)   #96
Road America Fan
Rookie

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Danica certainly does have talent and I was there at Mid-Ohio to capture it on film, er...whatever a digipic is captured on:

Nice pic, and your avatar....

I had a commemorative edition Z06 that I sold about a year ago. I regret it daily
Old 1 May 2010, 19:59 (Ref:2682854)   #97
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
11th at Kansas today, better but not what her past performance has shown at ovals. Either something is on her mind, or she's out of touch with it all, perhaps NASCAR beckons? Like JPM, be relatively well-known in open wheelers then go have a career of could've/should'ves in stock cars!
Old 1 May 2010, 21:10 (Ref:2682878)   #98
Road America Fan
Rookie

United States
Quote:
11th at Kansas today, better but not what her past performance has shown at ovals. Either something is on her mind, or she's out of touch with it all, perhaps NASCAR beckons? Like JPM, be relatively well-known in open wheelers then go have a career of could've/should'ves in stock cars!
After last year I thought she would do a lot better than she has so far this season. I think there is a lot on her mind. As to what it is? could be many things. Shes been around a while now with minimal career results.

Team management - how many times has her crew personnel changed since she went onboard with AGR / Andretti Autosport? Why is that? Why is it so hard for her to convey what the car is doing to her engineers?
Growing competition - The addition of other female drivers who already have wins prior to joining the series as well as newer and younger upcoming talent.
Career so far - Is her career not turning out the way she would have liked so far?
Decisions - Does she continue with open wheel and the dream of winning Indy or or does she pursue the financial security that NASCAR can provide? Or does she pursue both and distribute her 100% between the two?

She matured a lot last year. Yes there were a few blame game comments but nothing compared to the Pre-2009 seasons. She became very consistent last year but she's still way overhyped. How can someone with minimal career to date results dominate the media as she does? The money - that's why any team would take her. It's better to take the money and live with her results than to accept less money from a better driver.

Now, Simona. I'm not gonna go on to make her the next Pope but I honestly did not expect her to finish her first oval race. I was impressed.
Old 2 May 2010, 00:37 (Ref:2682935)   #99
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a comment during the broadcast today from a pit reporter...it was the kind of little detail that never gets picked up on, and 100 reporters will write the same story about Danica's race, for instance, and not get it right.

I didn't hear the entire statement clearly, but the paraphrase it that when the first set of tires came off Danica's car, one of the rear tires (presumably right) was worn down to the cords.

Since there were no other tire issues mentioned in this race, other than the added marbles from the softer compound this year, it's pretty likely that Princess Sparkle Pony's car was handling like a pig from poor setup.

This happens with most of these teams, and TK climbed out p*ssed all too often last year. AA is a big team, DanicaFan pointed out that they may be getting over-extended in another thread. That's probably part of the answer.

As for the Princess...it might have been a better move by her management team to wait on signing the AA contract until she saw what kind of a reception she would get from the Nascar nation. She was treated like royalty.

Driving through the rest of a mediocre IICS season gets her nothing. If she doesn't rock the world at Indy, she's better off blaming the sled she is being asked to drive, buying out of the contract and racing the cabs.
Old 2 May 2010, 01:28 (Ref:2682943)   #100
Road America Fan
Rookie

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
I didn't hear the entire statement clearly, but the paraphrase it that when the first set of tires came off Danica's car, one of the rear tires (presumably right) was worn down to the cords.

Since there were no other tire issues mentioned in this race, other than the added marbles from the softer compound this year, it's pretty likely that Princess Sparkle Pony's car was handling like a pig from poor setup.
You are right about the rear tire, I was listening when they mentioned it. This is why I said "Why is it so hard for her to convey what the car is doing to her engineers?" It's not like anyone on her team had just graduated from UTI and hired to work on her crew and then made a mistake in the car setup. These guys have been employed in the industry for a while.

So did the weather between qualifying and racing this weekend make this drastic change to the car setup? Not very much, otherwise most of the drivers would have had similar issues throughout the race.

Any other driver can wear out a tire in that fashion and it would never be mentioned unless it was a top five driver or the track itself that was actually causing the problem.

If it did come down to poor car setup on the teams part maybe AA is over extended. That would be a shame. I grew up watching Michael race and was always a huge fan of the winningest driver of his time. To see him start up a team, include his son and be successful only to settle for sponsor money from you know who is just sad.

Sponsor money. Maybe in another thread.