Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 23 Nov 2014, 21:33 (Ref:3477981)   #201
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
who knows if 2015 lmp1 cars will be able to cross the 3.20 wall
Old 23 Nov 2014, 21:49 (Ref:3477989)   #202
cokata
Veteran

cokata should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering there won't be any performance adjustments before Le Mans, i would expect next years cars to be alot quicker considering that previous years even with performance penalties the cars were going faster by good 2-3 sec per lap
Old 23 Nov 2014, 21:50 (Ref:3477990)   #203
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
who knows if 2015 lmp1 cars will be able to cross the 3.20 wall
I donĀ“t have any doubt, they will do sub 3:20 lap times, at least in qualifying
Old 23 Nov 2014, 22:04 (Ref:3478000)   #204
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Maybe it hasn't worked out, but it's possible Toyota have had to make a choice between quality and quantity so far and have lumped for spending that money on development. Perhaps if they'd chosen the third car for the last couple of years, the car wouldn't have been as well developed? We'll never never know, but I don't understand the stick they receive for not running three cars on their relatively small budget (when they get a lot out of it).
The whining isn't directed at TMG, clearly 2 cars is the best choice in current and unfortunately in future situation too, but at the boardroom members in Japan. Quality and quantity aren't mutually exclusive, just ask Audi.
Old 23 Nov 2014, 22:09 (Ref:3478002)   #205
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
The lack of performance adjustment surprised me. I was sure that given how quickly the cars went this year (and remember we didn't see a full-on run in qualifying) that there would be some relatively large reductions. So yeah, sub-3:20 is on next year.

Back on topic, from watching the post-race JB looks like he's resigned to his fate.
Old 23 Nov 2014, 22:31 (Ref:3478011)   #206
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Toyota has always been cost conscious. The f1 money was more than just f1. TMG had to be built up, talent had to be aquired etc. You dont see any new team in f1 built from the ground up. None of the other teams but Ferrari were doing their own car and engine when Toyota was there last. Thats another big cost. Most of the guys in charge are profit driven. But then you have to consider the racing Toyota takes part in as a whole. Nascar is the biggest one, because its their biggest market. Maybe things change in a year or so and we see a third car at LM? I think they could afford Button, but why would they need him? If theyre after star power itd make sense. We'll see what his future is soon.
Old 23 Nov 2014, 23:24 (Ref:3478030)   #207
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
The whining isn't directed at TMG, clearly 2 cars is the best choice in current and unfortunately in future situation too, but at the boardroom members in Japan. Quality and quantity aren't mutually exclusive, just ask Audi.
Agreed, TMG is not at fault at all. Quite the contrary, they seem to be masters of making a lot happen with a relatively small budget. That they have build such a superior car with the smallest budget of the three speaks volumes about their engineering capabilities.

But maybe that's part of the problem, because it gives the beancounters an excuse to not change anything.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 01:43 (Ref:3478056)   #208
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Once Pascal Vasselon came onboard, TMG/Toyota changed to a contender. They were nowhere in '07, then '08 and '09 comes and theyre fighting in the top 5 regularly. I think the financial crisis took away their best chance with the TF110. I remember reading that they said they were so far ahead of the TF109 (30 points in downforce iirc). But knee jerk reactions from the board cut off any hope. And Akio Toyoda says theyll never be back in f1 as long as he's at the helm. I think as a majority, they expect results almost immediately. Once they see that isnt so, they cut it off. Hopefully thats not the fate of this lmp1 program. And hopefully they get that LM win, the sooner the better. Im looking forward to seeing Conway. He put Wurz and Sarrazin to shame in Bahrain.
Old 26 Nov 2014, 14:58 (Ref:3478925)   #209
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For what it's worth Jean-Eric Vergne has ruled himself out of a Toro Rosso seat next year.

https://twitter.com/JeanEricVergne/s...12225587195904

I'd like to see him in the WEC with Nissan. The guy's 24 he could have a long career in sportscars.
Old 26 Nov 2014, 20:59 (Ref:3479044)   #210
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
strange as it may seem and apologies in advance for the blasphemy, but even as a jev fangirl i actually want to see him scrapping around in the elms lmp2 field first. there's something a bit sterile about lmp1 and jev's a bit more of a proper racer...
Old 26 Nov 2014, 22:08 (Ref:3479074)   #211
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To be honest, I don't think Vergne can prove much by being quicker than single-seater refugees Ticknell and Berthon and F1 reject Klien. Vergne is of a higher caliber and should be able to get a factory P1 seat, just like Buemi did. Maybe he could have a little more fun beating up the competition in ELMS, but I just don't see the point.
Old 27 Nov 2014, 13:38 (Ref:3479260)   #212
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think it's a different market now compared to when buemi moved across. from what i can see it's changed even in the past 2 years, and walking into lmp1 isn't half as easy as it was for someone with f1 experience. i mean, had webber been guided to the door at red bull a year earlier would he have walked straight into a lmp1 drive? it's timing as much as anything.

even we sat here can come up with some names from lmp2 and nissan's own universe who strongly deserve a drive based on their achievements in the sportscar world, so i don't know... it just seems a little f1-centric to expect someone who never looked like scoring a podium (for whatever reason) to walk straight into a lmp1 drive.

i agree that he wouldn't have much to prove in lmp2 or elms but is it really that certain that there's a lmp1 door open for him? especially if button is potentially on the market too.
Old 28 Nov 2014, 01:49 (Ref:3479450)   #213
TF110
Veteran

United States
With Hulk joining Porsche, rumors are another f1 driver is joining lmp1 next year...
Old 28 Nov 2014, 09:44 (Ref:3479529)   #214
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
More and more drivers will find out that WSC is in fact better then F1 right now.
I don't mind that those drivers are coming I think it is great, I just hope that little mr. E will never show up at Le Mans...
Old 28 Nov 2014, 12:26 (Ref:3479555)   #215
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
With Hulk joining Porsche, rumors are another f1 driver is joining lmp1 next year...
It's become the go-to place for F1 talent. You can't even say "ex-F1 talent" with Hulkenberg's drive.

I find it so intriguing and honestly what fascinates me most right now is Nissan.

They've announced nothing so far and the more I think about it that's been a smart move - assuming they didn't sign up nine drivers months ago.

There are a LOT of quality drivers on the market to make an LMP1 team and as we close in on next season they will all get slightly cheaper. F1 drivers (Button/Vergne/Sutil) have become available and if they want to play a bit of hard ball they know they've got a stable of contracted drivers to fall back on.

I think if Alonso will go anywhere then it's Audi - especially with the Domenicali link. That rumour could ramp up a lot more after Sao Paolo. Having two current F1 drivers in a car might be deemed too much of a risk for Porsche.
Old 28 Nov 2014, 12:42 (Ref:3479558)   #216
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The downside for Nissan is that their car is a totally unknown quantity. Would a high profile driver want to sign up without knowing if they had a chance? Or would they be willing to commit to a 3 year cycle and work on car development?
Being familiar with hybrid tech must be a big boost for these guys though. The mental work rate seems pretty high in the car these days.
Old 28 Nov 2014, 12:52 (Ref:3479562)   #217
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Button by any chance?
Old 28 Nov 2014, 12:56 (Ref:3479563)   #218
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
It would be amazing publicity if Porsche fielded a car with 3 current F1 drivers
Old 28 Nov 2014, 13:02 (Ref:3479564)   #219
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
The downside for Nissan is that their car is a totally unknown quantity. Would a high profile driver want to sign up without knowing if they had a chance?
It depends on the driver I suppose. If you're a guy like Vergne (at 24!!!) without a drive then I'd say a three-year works programme looks pretty attractive right now. Button has made all the money he needs so he's a guy who is in a position to pick and choose. It might not be a great fit for him.

Honestly I can't see Button in the WEC in any capacity next year but I'd love more than anything to be wrong.
Old 28 Nov 2014, 13:06 (Ref:3479565)   #220
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I won't be surprised if Kobayashi gets a Nissan LMP1 seat. He's popular in Japan and Nissan can use him for marketing and PR stuff in Japan.

Kobayashi always had the upper hand on his teammates in F1. Yes, even Perez. Monisha Kaltenborn basicly admitted that herself.
Old 28 Nov 2014, 15:15 (Ref:3479598)   #221
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
The problem with Kobayashi is he's been insistent on wanting to stay in F1 - why else would anyone drive that Caterham...

However, his brief time at AF Corse did him no harm and IIRC everybody had good things to say about him. Being familiar with the calendar/race program would be a plus as well.
Old 28 Nov 2014, 15:43 (Ref:3479604)   #222
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
The problem with Kobayashi is he's been insistent on wanting to stay in F1 - why else would anyone drive that Caterham...
I think he knows he made a mistake there.

It's a shame because he's a quick guy. If Kaz can succeed in LMP1 then so can Kobayashi. He's a big name in Japan so he ticks a lot of boxes.
Old 28 Nov 2014, 16:07 (Ref:3479616)   #223
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Factory teams are now tickling for Vergne. Much better hand than Hartley. Bon appetit.
Old 28 Nov 2014, 16:21 (Ref:3479618)   #224
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
It's a shame because he's a quick guy. If Kaz can succeed in LMP1 then so can Kobayashi. He's a big name in Japan so he ticks a lot of boxes.
Speaking of the two of them, more of this would be something to look forward to.
Old 28 Nov 2014, 17:12 (Ref:3479628)   #225
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I think he knows he made a mistake there.
Not sure he does.