Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 8 May 2015, 21:26 (Ref:3535643)   #2601
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Unless I am mistaken, the only spec that was raced by Toyota at Spa was the HD spec; the same one that was raced at Silvertsone. What's the purpose of the LD or NSLD spec that was tested at Paul Ricard ? Have Toyota changed their mind and been working on a more extreme LD package in an attempt to catch up ?
Silverstone and Spa are the same HD-versions. The low-downforce version shown at Paul Ricard will not be at Le Mans. John Litjens has mentioned the new Le Mans package will be notable different. So I think we can expect more changes.
Old 8 May 2015, 22:03 (Ref:3535658)   #2602
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Unless I am mistaken, the only spec that was raced by Toyota at Spa was the HD spec; the same one that was raced at Silvertsone. What's the purpose of the LD or NSLD spec that was tested at Paul Ricard ? Have Toyota changed their mind and been working on a more extreme LD package in an attempt to catch up ?
This depends on which of the pictures you posted were the HD or NSLD packages. I'm presuming the second pictures, with the less aggressive front fenders, smaller opening in the front splitter, and smaller openings on the nose were from the NSLD package. That also seems to be what Toyota ran at Silverstone, at least from the front end. These are based on the pictures fro Ricard, on the assumption the #2 car in those snaps was the NSLD package - maybe it isn't, and I'm barking up the wrong tree.

My theory is that Toyota weren't happy with either of the specs they tested at Ricard, and what we've seen so far is a mish-mash between those two specs (or certainly at Silverstone at least) and they've decided they have to go with something as different as Audi went for last year to remain competitive at Le Mans.

Last year's LM-spec R18 really was a Le Mans special - it was even slower than the HD Audis at Spa last year. Despite their disadvantage in a straight line, that spec was raced only once. I think Toyota are taking a similar strategy.
Old 8 May 2015, 22:27 (Ref:3535666)   #2603
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
They seem so far behind, I struggle how a simple aero kit should be able to get them back to the front. I mean, we're not talking about them being off a few tenths..they're off by seconds, even on F1-length tracks.

It really looks like sort of a transitional year for them until they can switch to batteries in 2016. Their current technology simply seems to have reached its peak.
Old 9 May 2015, 00:13 (Ref:3535687)   #2604
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
That picture is in no way representative of how the cars will be from LM forward. They are assembling them for 'show'. They havent even used those 'sharkteeth' diveplanes this season They even confuse me with things developed but unused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by templer View Post
Silverstone and Spa are the same HD-versions. The low-downforce version shown at Paul Ricard will not be at Le Mans. John Litjens has mentioned the new Le Mans package will be notable different. So I think we can expect more changes.
Cool, may I ask where you heard this from him? Any publication or just a personal chat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
They seem so far behind, I struggle how a simple aero kit should be able to get them back to the front. I mean, we're not talking about them being off a few tenths..they're off by seconds, even on F1-length tracks.

It really looks like sort of a transitional year for them until they can switch to batteries in 2016. Their current technology simply seems to have reached its peak.
Audi's "simple aero kit" pushed them up front 1.5 seconds back on fast lap at Spa. Thats less than the gap Audi was back in 2014. Im still hopeful. Even if theyre not the fastest, they may have a distance per stint advantage. If theyre closer than 2013, they have a good shot.
Old 9 May 2015, 06:49 (Ref:3535728)   #2605
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Audi's "simple aero kit" pushed them up front 1.5 seconds back on fast lap at Spa. Thats less than the gap Audi was back in 2014.
Looking into the race's best sector times from Spa 2014 and 2015. Audi was only 0,4s slower than Toyota last year, while, this year, Toyota was 2,5s slower than Audi!!!
Old 9 May 2015, 09:05 (Ref:3535748)   #2606
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cool, may I ask where you heard this from him? Any publication or just a personal chat?

Article at Motorsport-Total in the last section.

http://www.motorsport-total.com/wec/...-15050701.html
Old 9 May 2015, 11:45 (Ref:3535782)   #2607
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I took those from the official timing:
http://fiawec.alkamelsystems.com/

Click on the "Race", then on the "Hour 6" and then you have all data from the whole race : Event Maximum Speed, Best Sector Times and etc.
Old 9 May 2015, 15:16 (Ref:3535844)   #2608
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
That appears to be very good news indeed.
Old 9 May 2015, 15:18 (Ref:3535846)   #2609
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excelent news
Old 9 May 2015, 16:02 (Ref:3535861)   #2610
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
That appears to be very good news indeed.
If that means Kaz can recover in time for LM, I'm absolutely thrilled.
Old 9 May 2015, 16:39 (Ref:3535876)   #2611
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kaz is mega quick at Le Mans. If Toyota has any chance, he will be one of the reasons.
Old 10 May 2015, 02:23 (Ref:3536014)   #2612
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur View Post
Looking into the race's best sector times from Spa 2014 and 2015. Audi was only 0,4s slower than Toyota last year, while, this year, Toyota was 2,5s slower than Audi!!!
Audi's high downforce package was only that much slower. Its LM package was further off. Toyota's ideal best in '14 was 2:00.8, Audi's ideal best for the LM package was 2:02.1. Maybe thats not so representative. So I chose actual fast lap because draft may come into play for best sectors at Spa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
If that means Kaz can recover in time for LM, I'm absolutely thrilled.
Toyota tweeted he was out of the hospital, but to expect him to be in shape for the race is a tough ask. They said he was going to start his rehab http://twitter.com/Toyota_Hybrid/sta...94190506156032
Old 10 May 2015, 08:33 (Ref:3536042)   #2613
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
agree, kaz has always been great at le mans! good for TMG if he will be in game again! now they just need to give him a competitive car
Old 10 May 2015, 08:52 (Ref:3536044)   #2614
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
@FIAWEC's tweet is rather ambiguous. Will Kazuki simply be at the LM Test Day or actually drive the car during the test ? Either way, this still does not mean that he will be allowed to race. I am keeping my fingers crossed nevertheless.
Old 10 May 2015, 09:19 (Ref:3536049)   #2615
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
tyronnezx has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This might be weird but, i want to see Kamui racing but not at the cost of turning the #1 car into destruction derby car. Also im unsure how he will go with the Davidson/Buemi lineup so if Nakajima cant make it, i think they should definitly Make a Conway/Buemi/Davidson lineup in the 1 car and put Kamui in the #2. That is Toyota's best chance. If Toyota were to continue in the future, i have a feel that they might replace someone in the #2 with Kamui but i get the feel that hes not ready yet. Then again i said that on his debut in Toyota F1
Old 10 May 2015, 09:28 (Ref:3536052)   #2616
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Seems that Kazuki underwent successful surgery on his spine and could be back racing much sooner than originally expected.
Old 10 May 2015, 09:31 (Ref:3536054)   #2617
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I imagine Kobayashi will still run at the Test day though should any problems arise with Nakajima.
Old 10 May 2015, 20:50 (Ref:3536248)   #2618
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronnezx View Post
This might be weird but, i want to see Kamui racing but not at the cost of turning the #1 car into destruction derby car. Also im unsure how he will go with the Davidson/Buemi lineup so if Nakajima cant make it, i think they should definitly Make a Conway/Buemi/Davidson lineup in the 1 car and put Kamui in the #2. That is Toyota's best chance. If Toyota were to continue in the future, i have a feel that they might replace someone in the #2 with Kamui but i get the feel that hes not ready yet. Then again i said that on his debut in Toyota F1
Why do think Kobayashi would turn it into a destruction derby car? Did he do that when driving for AF Corse? I cant recall incidents like that. Nakajima was labelled as a "kamikaze" type pilot before, but now hes considered one of their fastest. And Kobayashi had a lot better performance in F1 than Nakajima did, so he should be equally as quick if we go on past performances.

As for Conway, he has not really been a stand-out in the #2. It looks like Wurz is actually the most solid in the car. Maybe experience would be desired, but Hulkenberg turned out fine, Kobayashi should as well. Neither have lmp experience except testing, but at least the latter has driven a full wec season, in GTE.
Old 11 May 2015, 00:50 (Ref:3536300)   #2619
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
Quote:
Why do think Kobayashi would turn it into a destruction derby car? Did he do that when driving for AF Corse? I cant recall incidents like that. Nakajima was labelled as a "kamikaze" type pilot before, but now hes considered one of their fastest. And Kobayashi had a lot better performance in F1 than Nakajima did, so he should be equally as quick if we go on past performances.

As for Conway, he has not really been a stand-out in the #2. It looks like Wurz is actually the most solid in the car. Maybe experience would be desired, but Hulkenberg turned out fine, Kobayashi should as well. Neither have lmp experience except testing, but at least the latter has driven a full wec season, in GTE.
Easy there. i did say it was pure speculation towards the end of my comment. im not saying hes bad. He hadn't got me convinced and with only 2 cars, i don't see why Toyota should take this risk with their fastest option; the #1 car.
Old 11 May 2015, 20:29 (Ref:3536553)   #2620
TF110
Veteran

United States
"Easy there" lol Im not upset, Im just asking what makes you think Kobayashi would "demolition derby" the car? Its like Japanese drivers are all divebombers according to many on motorsport forums. Hope you dont think that way. Kobayashi has had some deep outbraking moves in single seaters, but he's no Maldonaldo As for their fastest option, maybe Kobayashi is faster than Davidson and Buemi? As long as hes consistent there shouldnt be any issue. I dont think they change lineups. Isnt it too late for that?
Old 11 May 2015, 21:43 (Ref:3536569)   #2621
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
Quote:
"Easy there" lol Im not upset, Im just asking what makes you think Kobayashi would "demolition derby" the car? Its like Japanese drivers are all divebombers according to many on motorsport forums. Hope you dont think that way. Kobayashi has had some deep outbraking moves in single seaters, but he's no Maldonaldo As for their fastest option, maybe Kobayashi is faster than Davidson and Buemi? As long as hes consistent there shouldnt be any issue. I dont think they change lineups. Isnt it too late for that?
Only time will tell. i might be jumping the gun here. We're all yet to see how he goes in an LMP1. Toyota has bigger problems at this moment than its drivers
Old 11 May 2015, 21:44 (Ref:3536571)   #2622
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who agrees that the Toyota is the ugliest a$$ car in LMP1? I know for sure at Le Mans this year I am cheering for anybody except them to win.
Old 12 May 2015, 00:03 (Ref:3536592)   #2623
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
Who agrees that the Toyota is the ugliest a$$ car in LMP1? I know for sure at Le Mans this year I am cheering for anybody except them to win.
Don't know how you can say that when Audi is on the grid with that snout and a tractor sound if we are judging on ugliness.
Old 12 May 2015, 00:47 (Ref:3536604)   #2624
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
What an exceptional post to make your entry into your next millennium! Congratulations!
Old 12 May 2015, 02:27 (Ref:3536622)   #2625
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Toyota is one of the best looking modern lmp1s since the '11 908. Do I think they will win Le Mans?no, but I sure do want them to!