Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 1 Dec 2004, 01:25 (Ref:1168535)   #251
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
But I stick with "those days are over"...
In fact I predict a changing in the tide.
Easy there macdaddy!

While I agree that there probably aren't anymore teams coming over to the IRL, the tide certainly isn't going the other way either. All of the former CART teams that have made their move, seem to be thriving, and are looking to expand their teams for 05.

Using Patrick Racing as your posterchild for failure in the IRL, is not exactly a strong argument for tidal change. And anyway, his demise seems to be abit premature, as there hasn't been any anouncements about his future that I'm aware of, one way or the other.

Oh, and while there maybe no teams looking to jump over anymore, there maybe a driver or two looking!

Danica Patrick
Old 1 Dec 2004, 01:49 (Ref:1168540)   #252
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm objective....

Let's see who talks to Tomas Enge and who he drives for next summer...

He'd prefer to run more road circuits, but he enjoyed his time with Patrick Racing...

I think Pat and Tomas will be back together for 2005....but he could go over to OWRS....

I do think that Ganassi, Rahal, and Fernandez will line up the deals they need for 3rd cars...

Whether that would mean any net gain of drivers or cars on the grid...who knows???

But I will say that if the racing is half as good as it was last summer, I'll be pleased, because 2004 was one hell of season!

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 1 Dec 2004 at 01:50.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 1 Dec 2004, 01:52 (Ref:1168541)   #253
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BTW...

The only Series where Hemelgarn turned a wheel last year was the IRL....and that was in partnership with D&R for Buddy at Indy...

Guess those $1 Reynards from Forsythe didn't get his Champ Car effort out of the driveway...now did it?

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 1 Dec 2004, 03:46 (Ref:1168573)   #254
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Wonder whatever happened to that deal...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 04:43 (Ref:1168588)   #255
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
European reports suggest F1 test driver for Toyota, Ryan Briscoe may enter the IRL in 2005... an engine for Patrick racing?

Last edited by Teretonga; 1 Dec 2004 at 04:47.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 05:01 (Ref:1168591)   #256
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
BTW...

The only Series where Hemelgarn turned a wheel last year was the IRL....and that was in partnership with D&R for Buddy at Indy...

Guess those $1 Reynards from Forsythe didn't get his Champ Car effort out of the driveway...now did it?
I guess the question is whether those cars will be turning a wheel at Indy this year. Sounds like all the lights are out at Hemelgarn.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 05:47 (Ref:1168609)   #257
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
would seem that way mountainstar , hemelgarn hasnt really done anything this year at all (I dont consider the Buddy lazier thing at indy a Hemelgarn lead effort) So I guess we could possibly count them out of either series.

which is a shame because I was a big fan of theirs
Old 1 Dec 2004, 07:21 (Ref:1168639)   #258
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I fear so
Old 1 Dec 2004, 08:02 (Ref:1168657)   #259
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One website is reporting the playa del deal is dead. I've heard the deal is not done and kelley still has possession of all his stuff. Anyone know anything else?
Old 1 Dec 2004, 08:25 (Ref:1168675)   #260
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Ryan
Presumably Ryan Briscoe from Australia HAS tested or will be testing with Ganassi. I think he did a famalizarisation with one of the cars two weeks ago.
According to Robin Miller, he has now tested with Ganassi. From the SPEEDTV site;

Quote:
Briscoe IRL Bound
Written by: Robin Miller

Indianapolis, IN – 11/30/2004 It appears Toyota's F-1 test driver, Ryan Briscoe, will join Scott Dixon and Darren Manning on Chip Ganassi's IRL team in 2005.

The 23-year-old Australian recently completed four days of testing at Phoenix (two on the road course at Firebird Raceway and two on the one-mile oval at Phoenix International Raceway) with favorable results.

"He got on well," said Manning, who spent all four days helping Briscoe get acclimated to the G-Force/Toyota. "He had a blister on his hand after the first day at Firebird because he hadn't shifted in a long time but he enjoyed it.

"And he adapted to the oval. I told him it was just a corner with a steering wheel and he got right up to speed."

Originally, the Target/Ganassi squad originally wanted to test American Ryan Hunter-Reay but he's decided to stay in Champ Car.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 13:27 (Ref:1168965)   #261
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So when that's true, I have to follow this championship as well .
Old 1 Dec 2004, 13:30 (Ref:1168969)   #262
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn't think about it earlier, but I like Manning's jab at F-1 there;

Quote:
"He had a blister on his hand after the first day at Firebird because he hadn't shifted in a long time but he enjoyed it."
Old 1 Dec 2004, 13:36 (Ref:1168972)   #263
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think that's a "jab" at F1 - merely a statement of fact.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 13:50 (Ref:1168988)   #264
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Regardless of what he actually meant it can still be taken as a (well-deserved) jab - which is what I'll do.

My belief that race car drivers shouldn't be able to shift gears without moving their hands from the wheel may have something to do with that though...

(Which, of course, is a discussion for another thread altogether.)
Old 1 Dec 2004, 14:01 (Ref:1168999)   #265
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with Rusty on this point - auomatic gearboxes are one of the worst technological advances in terms of the quality of racing produced, and semi-automatic ones are bad enough.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 15:09 (Ref:1169043)   #266
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, considering that oval racing is not that demanding, he shouldmn't have such problems on most races
Old 1 Dec 2004, 19:47 (Ref:1169259)   #267
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Courtesy of zerO.

Update:

Latest from the Grapevine is that on Dec.8th Danica Patrick will be officially announced as the driver of the third entry from the Rahal/Letterman stable... and in the meantime (thanks to Toyota) Ryan Briscoe has been testing with Ganassi in Arizona few days ago...

Here's how the line-up scenario for next year looks like now:

1. PENSKE = #3 - Helio Castroneves
2. PENSKE = #6 - Sam Hornish
3. GANASSI = #8 - Ryan Briscoe or Townsend Bell or Max Papis or Jeff Simmons or Luis Diaz
4. GANASSI = #9 - Scott Dixon
5. GANASSI = #10 - Darren Manning
6. ANDRETTI/GREEN = #7 - Bryan Herta
7. ANDRETTI/GREEN = #11 - Tony Kanaan
8. ANDRETTI/GREEN = #26 - Dan Wheldon
9. ANDRETTI/GREEN = #27 - Dario Franchitti
10. RAHAL/LETTERMAN = #15 - Buddy Rice
11. RAHAL/LETTERMAN = #16 - Danica Patrick
12. RAHAL/LETTERMAN = #17 - Vitor Meira
13. FERNANDEZ = #5 - Adrián Fernandez
14. FERNANDEZ = #55 - Kosuke Matsuura
15. PANTHER = #2 - Scott Sharp or Jeff Simmons or Townsend Bell or AJ.FoytIV
16. PANTHER = #4 - Tomas Scheckter
17. CHEEVER = #51 - Alex Barron
18. CHEEVER = #83 - Patrick Carpentier
19. ACCESS = #13 - Mark Taylor or Greg Ray
20. SALLEE = #18 - Ed Carpenter

Possible entries:

21. FOYT = #14 - AJ.FoytIV or Larry Foyt
22. NUNN = #12 - Felipe Giaffone or Ryan Briscoe or P.J.Chesson or Ryo Fukuda
23. PATRICK = #20 - Jeff Simmons or Jacques Lazier or Tomaš Enge
24. FERNANDEZ = #25 - Michel Jourdain or Scott Sharp or Luis Diaz or Roger Yasukawa
25. REINBOLD = #24 - Thiago Medeiros or Michael Keohane or Felipe Giaffone
26. SALLEE = #28 - Arie Luyendyk Jr

For an updated picturesque version of the probable 2005 line-up and other possibilities go to www.champcarfan.com.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 21:08 (Ref:1169343)   #268
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just to update that - Tony Kanaan will be car number 1 rather than 11.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 21:11 (Ref:1169348)   #269
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So he braved the curse.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 21:48 (Ref:1169385)   #270
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So with Briscoe to Ganassi, it looks like another top ride goes to an outsider with no expierience?

Must be seriously frustrating to guys like Medieros, Simmons, Yasakawa, Chesson, Geibler, Luyendyke Jr., and all of the others who have worked through the system, but can't get a look. And journeymen, like the Laziers, and Sharp, who Ganassi didn't want, have to be wondering what, if anything they have to do to get a top ride.

Team owners need to start promoting from within, or else the IPS might as well go away, because nobody will drive in it, if they see no shot at making the IRL...

Danica Patrick
Old 2 Dec 2004, 05:04 (Ref:1169504)   #271
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
very good point GP Racer
Old 2 Dec 2004, 07:22 (Ref:1169523)   #272
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
So with Briscoe to Ganassi, it looks like another top ride goes to an outsider with no expierience?

Must be seriously frustrating to guys like Medieros, Simmons, Yasakawa, Chesson, Geibler, Luyendyke Jr., and all of the others who have worked through the system, but can't get a look. And journeymen, like the Laziers, and Sharp, who Ganassi didn't want, have to be wondering what, if anything they have to do to get a top ride.

Team owners need to start promoting from within, or else the IPS might as well go away, because nobody will drive in it, if they see no shot at making the IRL...
I have to say I'm confused as to why they would let someone get a seat in IRL who has never driven in one oval event their whole life.
Old 2 Dec 2004, 09:59 (Ref:1169618)   #273
Kicking-back
Veteran

Because historically road racers have adapted well to oval racing, he comes with the patronage of the engine supplier and is relatively talented.
Old 2 Dec 2004, 10:51 (Ref:1169674)   #274
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IPS champions haven't exactly done well in the IRL though, it jsut doesn't seem to be a strong series, and the small fields mean that you get little experience of close-quarters running. When outsiders come in, they get the job done to a high standard much more quickly - the addition of road racing simply furthers the extent of that.
Old 2 Dec 2004, 21:34 (Ref:1170279)   #275
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mountainstar
I have to say I'm confused as to why they would let someone get a seat in IRL who has never driven in one oval event their whole life.
Because driving on ovals is easy.

Take it from Sebastien Bourdais, Justin Wilson and any other European drivers that have tried them.