Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 12 Jul 2005, 01:37 (Ref:1353123)   #1
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bourdais vs. Tracy: A Good Thing

This constant battling between Tracy and Bourdais is really looking like it might turn into a serious rivalry, and we've seen it throughout this season, and a little bit last season as well. Personally, I'm really enjoying it and think it's great for the series because it creates another reason to watch. The only thing that could make it better is if an American was part of it.

The more drama the more entertainment IMO. I'm excited to see who comes out on top. Ultimately, I'd put money on Bourdais, thinking that Tracy's aggressiveness will ultimately get the better of him, and running out of fuel in TO certainly doesn't help.

I hope I'm not the only one looking forward to the next installment of this battle.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 06:19 (Ref:1353203)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rivalries are always good publicity for any series - and this one is to be welcomed.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 08:30 (Ref:1353296)   #3
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It really is great. There is actually a title fight and attempts of passing for the lead...
Old 12 Jul 2005, 14:33 (Ref:1353577)   #4
FastCar5
Rookie

Canada
Toronto, Canada
FastCar5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These two are the two fastest drivers in North America. (Lets be honest-Realistically can you think of anyone else at this level?...some close but not just there.) They have completely diferent styles but they are both "ultra agressive" when challenging for the lead. Their car control under constant "on-edge" laps is incredible.

Any very good driver can put down one or two great laps but to do it constantly is very special! Senna, Prost, G. Villeneuve, Clark, Stewart, Shumacher....thats the thing all these great drivers had in common. Squirlly speed...all the time!
Old 12 Jul 2005, 18:14 (Ref:1353752)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes it does the series a lot of good to have such a rivalry. I'm both of them know this too!

I wonder, if they'll keep tripping over each other, whether someone else will keep picking up the spoils?
Old 12 Jul 2005, 18:50 (Ref:1353780)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wilson is the guy that's been consistently there...
Old 12 Jul 2005, 19:37 (Ref:1354000)   #7
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Title Fight

A great Rivalry can make a series. Senna Vs Prost made F1 in the late 80's and early 90's and I think Bourdias Vs Tracy has all the right stuff to turn into a full blown rivalry just like theirs. I think it will really help champ car and will make any open wheel racing fan want to tune in and watch. I think their are alot of F1 fans and IRL fans who really love Paul Tracy and Bourdias and if this really heats up will make them want to watch all the races on Television. I know it has made me want to tune in every sunday they race. I think its something thats missing from F1 right now where the title contenders are not really rivals and its something IRL can't have because their racing at such high speeds. Doing something crazy in IRL could lead to someone getting killed, not that what happend in Toronto couldn't happen during an IRL pitstop but I'm just saying that the Drivers in IRL have to respect each other alot more than in F1 or Champ Car.

I think that once Damatta's and Wilson's teams get a little stronger and Bruno comes back next year from his injuries. Champ Car could have an even better season then this year in terms of diffrent winners and rivaleries being started and drivers names becoming house hold names in North America again. I think the calander for next year sounds really cool with the race in China, I just wish they would come back to Michigan and do a race in Detroit. Great race in Tornto though and I am defenetly hooked on watching Champ Car.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1354012)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Not meaning to stray off-topic, but Xpunk75 hit on something that I've always found surprising. And that is the fact that Ford hasn't pushed to bring the series back to Detroit. Other series are travelling across the globe to keep their engine manufacturers happy, for instance. Belle Isle is but a stone's-throw away from the Ford world headquarters.

My apologies...
Back to "Bourdais vs. Tracy"...
Old 13 Jul 2005, 14:34 (Ref:1354680)   #9
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Whining Continues. Sounds like Tracy has really got into Bourdais' head.

Ted
Old 13 Jul 2005, 14:37 (Ref:1354681)   #10
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hopefully Servia will be in a third car at Newman / Haas next year, remember he is finsihing top 3 all the time and in the shot of a win, imagine what he will be like on his own set up? So maybe he could join in the rivalry.......
Old 13 Jul 2005, 15:28 (Ref:1354719)   #11
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
That could be cool

Quote:
Hopefully Servia will be in a third car at Newman / Haas next year, remember he is finsihing top 3 all the time and in the shot of a win, imagine what he will be like on his own set up? So maybe he could join in the rivalry.......

That be cool Luke to see NewmanHaas run three cars but I dont know if they will. Servia is a great Driver but I don't think he is better then Bruno, but I am all for good drivers in more competetive seats. Just a question though what makes NewmanHaas so much more competitive then other teams. Not that its a huge diffrence but their always running at the front not matter who drives for them. I thought all the cars were equal.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 15:50 (Ref:1354738)   #12
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpunk75
Just a question though what makes NewmanHaas so much more competitive then other teams. Not that its a huge diffrence but their always running at the front not matter who drives for them. I thought all the cars were equal.
Well I would say there's 4 teams in hunt for this year and in for the win every race.
Last year Newman / Haas were the best team but since Bruno has been out the team have had to re learn a new driver and how he works etc and Bourdais can't get feedback and different set-ups etc as Servia is running Bourdais' so I think the reason why Newman / Haas is and was as good as they are is they well you could say experienced drivers and an experienced and well organisied team that have always been in the top flight in Champ Car.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 16:56 (Ref:1354795)   #13
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting link by Ted and a good point. I've been thinking the same thing, Bourdais really seems to be having a tough time dealing with what has happened. It's odd when PT comes accross as the good guy. Bourdais needs to calm down and let his racing do the talking (and by that I don't just mean by ceasing to run into PT).

Actually one thing you can say about PT this season is that he seems cooler and more collected than ever. We've not seen any nutso moves, it's been very controlled and clean. He's paced himself when he's not had the car, etc. as well. Perhaps he's finally all the way grown up now. Even his radio broadcast at TO after the fuel ran out was unusually clean. He screamed profanities twice, but then calmed down. Seconds later he got out of the car talked to Beekus in a calm manner.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 18:25 (Ref:1354860)   #14
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Pauls Temper

When he was on Wind Tunnel a long while ago as the Co Host around time Bruno got hurt and they had him on the show. Paul said since he won the Title in 2003 he has calmed down alot. I remember when Paul was the crazy nut on the track would try any move even if it ment taking himself out with the guy he was racing. It made him a huge fan of mine and my brothers but I'm glad to see he has cooled down a bit. It makes him a better race car driver and gives him a better shot and the Champ Car Championship.

Ether way I'm really liking the product Champ Car is putting out right now with Sebastin Bourdia, Paul Tracey, DaMatta, Justin Wilson, and Servia these are guys I really like and next year when Bruno Comes back it should be even better. If Champ Car can maybe grab a few more big stars to bring to their series maybe a Marco Andretti or just a big name I think it would really help the series alot.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 19:22 (Ref:1354898)   #15
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"I'd like to believe we can race clean but that's not happening and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. He's openly criticized me which has been pretty stupid and I don't think I have to respond to it." - Sebastian Bourdais in Edmonton Sun article
Old 13 Jul 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1354910)   #16
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Seb...
You need to watch the replays.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 14:49 (Ref:1355451)   #17
mwrmt
Rookie

Canada
BC, Canada
mwrmt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, this kind of rivalry is always good and you can bet wether we're PT fans or Seabass fans we're always gonna say it was the other guys fault.

Watching the replay does make me think though that maybe SB was not on the pitlane limiter. Did anyone hear the engine hitting it? It's not like you can't hear that.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 15:07 (Ref:1355471)   #18
mwrmt
Rookie

Canada
BC, Canada
mwrmt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this is interesting and very mature on his part.

Tracy mum on Bourdais comments

7/14/2005 10:44:18 AM

Paul Tracy says when it comes to Sebastien Bourdais, he'll do his talking on the track this weekend at the inaugural Edmonton Champ Car race.

Tracy touched down in Edmonton on Wednesday, one day after Bourdais labelled his actions at the Molson Indy Toronto "crazy" and "stupid".

"I'm not going to get into a war of words with a guy who acts like a third grader," was the closest Tracy came to fighting back.

"The bottom line was (in Toronto) we were coming out of the pit and I backed off to let him out and he cut in front of me. Both accidents, everyone I've talked to from Champ Car officials to fans said he had a totally false perspective on what happened on the track."

Tracy also downplayed team owner Gerald Forsythe's tirade against his pit crew for allowing him to run out of fuel while leading the race.

"The team made a mistake and miscalculated the fuel," he said. "I've made mistakes. I've crashed cars and no one yelled at me."

"The look of disappointment on the crew was enough."

Link

Last edited by macdaddy; 14 Jul 2005 at 20:00.
Old 14 Jul 2005, 15:53 (Ref:1355515)   #19
trevisio
Racer

United Kingdom
In my house
trevisio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Their rivalry is a very good thing.

The latest clash between SB & PT wouldn't have happened if there wasn't a stupid line exiting the pits that Bourdais couldn't cross. Why can't officials give some room for manouvre with incidents like this? Bourdais had no choice but to turn in as otherwise he'd have been penalised! If he believed the officials would be unbiased and see the need for crossing the line, he'd have been able to avoid knocking PT's wing & us fans would've seen their great battle continue.

Still, I'm happy for Justin, great pass for the lead!
Old 14 Jul 2005, 15:59 (Ref:1355519)   #20
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevisio
The latest clash between SB & PT wouldn't have happened if there wasn't a stupid line exiting the pits that Bourdais couldn't cross. Why can't officials give some room for manouvre with incidents like this?
There isn't any more room at that spot on the track. The cars entering the track have to stay to the right to keep out of the way of those on the track already.

Lack of room is always a problem on street circuits.