Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 11 Jan 2011, 20:37 (Ref:2814396)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Double-File Restarts in 2011

As reported in today's Indy Star:

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...ws|text|Sports

Comments?

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 11 Jan 2011, 21:08 (Ref:2814414)   #2
vancecooley
Rookie

United States
United States
vancecooley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not a huge fan of it... seems like it's a bit of a gimmick.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 21:40 (Ref:2814429)   #3
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Meh.

'Why not' i suppose. Can see an awful lot of yellows though.

(Can you imagine a double file restart with Milka at the front on the inside??)
Old 11 Jan 2011, 22:16 (Ref:2814443)   #4
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good news! Sure to improve the racing - a la CART!
Old 12 Jan 2011, 09:09 (Ref:2814572)   #5
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me, this was not a priority...but I'm curious to see what will happen...I don't think that will be a lot of risk, all the drivers are well prepared...restarts will be similar to the start of the races, and I don't see any problems during the starts (although some people might argue that by 5/6/7 starts more increases the risk)...maybe it is true that at this point IndyCar could do like NASCAR and send lapped cars back, but I really do not like that rule because makes it difficult possible possible recoveries (which is unfair, especially if a car is lapped, for example, becuase it made a pit stop a lap before a caution)...at that point, it should also introduce the "lucky dog" rule...

Last edited by marcostraz; 12 Jan 2011 at 09:24.
Old 12 Jan 2011, 09:18 (Ref:2814577)   #6
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like it, something different/new... Just gotta get rid of that fugly dallara now!
Old 12 Jan 2011, 15:46 (Ref:2814740)   #7
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I believe that it'll be interesting to see. Milwaukee and New Hampshire will be tricky. Restarts at the rest of the ovals will be fine. Good thing that lapped cars will remain where they are.
Old 13 Jan 2011, 15:43 (Ref:2815292)   #8
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So lapped cars to the back? It may seem crazy.but I prefer to get deep pockets shallow talents out of the way
Old 14 Jan 2011, 20:51 (Ref:2815852)   #9
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lapped cars maintain position. How it should be IMO. If the leader had to get past the lapped cars, no reason the challenger shouldn't either.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 14:25 (Ref:2816068)   #10
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemachine View Post
Lapped cars maintain position. How it should be IMO. If the leader had to get past the lapped cars, no reason the challenger shouldn't either.
I think there is a difference here between maintaining track position and position on the leader board. If a car has been lapped by the leader (or leaders), then it makes no sense to make them pass them again simply because of a fuel/tyre stop during a caution. Then they have to try to avoid tangling with the Richard Speraficos, Tarso Marques' and Gaston Mazzacanes of the world yet again.

This, for me, does not constitute an enjoyable racing experience.

While we are at it, let's eliminate the full-course caution and go back to local yellows, at least on the permanent road courses. Talk about gimmicks...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 17:09 (Ref:2816107)   #11
Aloysius
Racer

Aloysius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a step in the right direction. I just hope they keep their promise about making the restart zone between the final turn and the start finish. This is the main issue.
Old 17 Jan 2011, 07:04 (Ref:2816621)   #12
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i see it as a positive, that and getting better control of the start/restart scenario
Old 18 Jan 2011, 16:38 (Ref:2817378)   #13
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it likely they ditch push to pass on a yellow restart. Keep it for the actual racing, and yes non-ovals shoul receive locals only and a full safety car when there is a fire or when the driver is in the way not just off and safely out of the car...where are the cranes!?
Old 18 Jan 2011, 20:09 (Ref:2817488)   #14
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You don't even need an SC for a fire, we had one at Mallory Park a few months ago and it was easily sorted out under waved yellows. These being some of the best drivers in the world one would hope that they could slow down enough to not clatter into a group of marshals!

If the restarts are handled in the same way NASCAR handle theirs (i.e. tight formation until the line) then it'll improve the racing at a restart because IndyCar - along with the FIA and F1 - always seem to make a right old meal out of SC restarts with cars all over the place and not really in any particularly coherent structure. Reminds me of the start at the Texas race last year where the leaders were about five million miles ahead of the rest of the field before the green flag was dropped.

Also, why do the US series generally enforce a strict SC speed (around the pitlane speed) whereas the FIA basically make Mr. Maylander drive the nuts off a car much more capable than that of that the IRL use? I know Grand Prix cars are faster but it can't be that good for the tyres driving around at less-than-optimal speeds.