Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 1 Apr 2012, 18:28 (Ref:3051861)   #2076
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I never expected the quality to be improved over the beeb. I am surprised how close it is. I haven't noticed the annoyance of the teams at all. Although I've not noticed them be a annoyed at EJ anymore!

What it does give is before quantity. The legends programmes are good and something you wouldn't et on beeb and the season reviews ar good to see too.

It is exactly as expected!
Old 1 Apr 2012, 19:47 (Ref:3051899)   #2077
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
More importantly Adam, how many times have you chucked your TV out the window this season?
Old 1 Apr 2012, 20:13 (Ref:3051910)   #2078
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I haven't needed to do that since ITV.

Anyway, remember I sold my telly when that really outrageous thing happened in F1.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 21:17 (Ref:3051960)   #2079
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Only the informed.

Generic 'man down the pub' still regards Sky as having 'stole' it (possibly because of Jake Humphrey's comments on 'The One Show'?). They always look so disappointed when i break it to them that the beeb initiated it.
Why blame the BBC? Giving gigabucks from tax-payers coffers to pay for a niche sport is crazeee. The BBC isn't to blame, they simply sobered up. It's a wonder Westminster didn't kill the F1 deal stone dead after ITV lost interest.

I have reservations regarding satellite conglomerates tucking big sports behind tough pay-walls but the villain of the piece in my eyes isn't Sky, it's one Bernard Charles Exortionstone. F1 should be on the BBC live, the BBC having paid a fairprice and F1 getting the benefit of a windfall of viewers nationwide.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 21:21 (Ref:3051963)   #2080
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The only thing wrong with skypad is the name. If it didn't have a name no one would worry about it. It is just a way to show replays and highlight interesting aspects they want to draw our attention too. Every sports programme does it. It has a small advantage of having a user interface to allow flexibility in the commentary. It is like sitting in the editing suite that Brundle did on the red button last year.
They can do that from the paddock with a portable TV. With the pundit doing the voiceover, the viewer wouldn't know the difference from his POV. I like technology but it has to add something tangibe, IMO, not just be glitter.

Not that it's a big deal really but the presenters do need to develop that chemistry for the Skypad to be natural.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 21:53 (Ref:3051981)   #2081
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It does have a small advantage to the portable telly, the person talking also has the control. Even on PowerPoint it is easier when you have control compared to someone else especially when it is a more informal presentation and/or you've had little prep. time.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 22:45 (Ref:3052012)   #2082
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
More importantly Adam, how many times have you chucked your TV out the window this season?
I have to watch on Sky Go, because the boring 2011 season (boring because Vettel won it with it not even going to the wire) culminated in a TV out-of-window scenario.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 07:09 (Ref:3052104)   #2083
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Why blame the BBC? Giving gigabucks from tax-payers coffers to pay for a niche sport is crazeee. The BBC isn't to blame, they simply sobered up.
Where am i blaming the BBC? I understand thier reasons completely.

My point is that Mr.Humphrey spouting 'Sky took it from us' on prime-time TV is totally inaccurate.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 07:23 (Ref:3052105)   #2084
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
GT does a ggod jon presenting the F1 show iin my opinion. Seems that its just Ant thats under used now.
Well, the girl certainly does have the right initials for being involved in a motorsport programme, but ones that would be surely better suited in sportscars instead of F1.
(I don't have Sky TV and probably never will, so maybe shouldn't be commenting here, however this is just my attempt at a bit of Monday Morning Light-Heartedness...)
Old 2 Apr 2012, 09:42 (Ref:3052164)   #2085
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Good points about the BBC, but with me I don't care about beef with either of the channels. I want more for my money than what we got with the BBC for free.
I was quite happy with what I got from the BBC. I don't see much point in shelling out a load of money to essentially watch a GP.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 11:03 (Ref:3052218)   #2086
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
I've just remembered that Sky said that there would not be endless repeats to fill SkyF1, but plenty of new material. That's not what it looks like to me when I scan the content every day.

They simply re-run the two races so far held, and re-show the "legends" interviews. I've seen nothing new.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 13:30 (Ref:3052293)   #2087
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
The impression that I get from reading most of the posts in this thread is that you are not too happy with the Sky version of F1..

I am not sure how any broadcaster could have a dedicated F1 channel to be honest and have enough material...

I could understand a dedicated motorsports channel..
Old 2 Apr 2012, 22:10 (Ref:3052587)   #2088
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was going to suggest that they loop old races, but since they were produced by the BBC and ITV, I don't know what they would be allowed to or not to do. It does seem a bit unnecessary, they already have 4 channels, they could always show less Spanish football or something.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 22:25 (Ref:3052597)   #2089
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
I've just remembered that Sky said that there would not be endless repeats to fill SkyF1, but plenty of new material. That's not what it looks like to me when I scan the content every day.

They simply re-run the two races so far held, and re-show the "legends" interviews. I've seen nothing new.
I think it is like that, but the channel is on 24/7, did you expect it to be full of new stuff with no repeats?

It has enough new material to mean I have, at a guess, ten hours of programmes in the planner not watched yet. None of this is GP coverage, it is legends and season reviews. For me it is already too much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89 View Post
It does seem a bit unnecessary, they already have 4 channels, they could always show less Spanish football or something.
Or they can show both F1 and Spanish football, which they do. I think this is the point.

I was really annoyed* when ESPN got some of the Rugby coverage. Previously it was on only one network who had nurtured it and shown it when no one else would. Why couldn't it have stayed exclusively on sky?!

*actually mildly perturbed for a brief period.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 23:34 (Ref:3052632)   #2090
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I could understand a dedicated motorsports channel..
It won't make the bucks.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 02:55 (Ref:3052648)   #2091
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It won't make the bucks.
Speed TV has been going for a while...
Old 3 Apr 2012, 07:21 (Ref:3052712)   #2092
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89 View Post
I was going to suggest that they loop old races, but since they were produced by the BBC and ITV, I don't know what they would be allowed to or not to do. It does seem a bit unnecessary, they already have 4 channels, they could always show less Spanish football or something.
You know full well what would happen if they had it on one of the sports channels. Eventually it would end up with some races being a delayed broadcast. Much like La Liga in fact!
Old 3 Apr 2012, 10:50 (Ref:3052802)   #2093
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
really annoyed*
Quote:

*actually mildly perturbed for a brief period.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 10:52 (Ref:3052803)   #2094
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Speed TV has been going for a while...
If Speed TV is profitable, Murdoch should take a leaf out of his own book and use the Speed TV model for the F1 Channel, considering he owns both.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 18:45 (Ref:3053064)   #2095
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
If Speed TV is profitable, Murdoch should take a leaf out of his own book and use the Speed TV model for the F1 Channel, considering he owns both.
The F1 Channel is not about profit. It is about market share, complete domination of live sport in the UK and screwing the BBC for political reasons.

Murdoch doesn't give a toss for motor sport, or any sport, all he cares about is power. Money comes easily to those who have it and money is his first and only love.

Meanwhile son James has resigned as Chairman of BSB today, in what I sincerely hope is a vain attempt to derail the Ofcom investigation into whether such an organisation as mired in criminality as Newscorp should be a fit and proper holder of a UK broadcasting licence. He remains a director, which shows exactly how shallow this attempt to hide from the inevitable is.
Old 5 Apr 2012, 13:51 (Ref:3054072)   #2096
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've now watched both GP's on both SKY and BBC, and have to say that there's not a whole lot of difference to the race day coverage either before, during or after each race. The biggest difference is that one is Live, the other isn't. Content is very good on both. So my advice would be if you want to watch F1 Live, go with Sky, if it isn't important that you watch it live, the BBC is certainly no worse, even if a few laps are left out. My mate has decided to bite the bullet and go with sky, simply because he hasn't managed to get to the BBC coverage before hearing the result. It will require a lifestyle change, he'll have to leave the pub after 5 pints rather than 6 every friday night......
Old 5 Apr 2012, 14:03 (Ref:3054074)   #2097
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
The F1 Channel is not about profit. It is about market share, complete domination of live sport in the UK and screwing the BBC for political reasons.

Murdoch doesn't give a toss for motor sport, or any sport, all he cares about is power. Money comes easily to those who have it and money is his first and only love.

Meanwhile son James has resigned as Chairman of BSB today, in what I sincerely hope is a vain attempt to derail the Ofcom investigation into whether such an organisation as mired in criminality as Newscorp should be a fit and proper holder of a UK broadcasting licence. He remains a director, which shows exactly how shallow this attempt to hide from the inevitable is.
Without a doubt it's about market share, Murdoch's virtually got complete domination of live sport in the UK but you can be sure he's going to make a profit in doing so. There wouldn't be much point if he was going to make a loss, market share, live sport domination or not.
Old 5 Apr 2012, 19:27 (Ref:3054202)   #2098
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Without a doubt it's about market share, Murdoch's virtually got complete domination of live sport in the UK but you can be sure he's going to make a profit in doing so. There wouldn't be much point if he was going to make a loss, market share, live sport domination or not.
Yes of course he will make a profit overall but I doubt if the F1 channel will contribute much in the short term. Not with the extravagant fees paid for Brundle and co anyway. Sky is cash rich and incredibly profitable. The point I was trying to make was that with Murdoch he will play the long game. His aim is to take all F1 once either the BBC is so weakened by it's licence freeze or the next negotiations with Bernie. Then he might see a return.

Or he may not. Another recent Sky acquisition is the US drama "Mad Men", set in the ad world of the sixties and lauded with many awards. On the BBC it reached a peak audience of 335,000, Not many admittedly but popular and well received nonetheless.

On Sky last week the premiere of the new series attracted an audience of just 47,000!! To put that into perspective, a 30 second ad during the show would sell for less than $500.......

To Murdoch, screwing the BBC is the name of the game and if it costs a little for a few years for a long term domination he'll go for it. That's why it's important he's stopped now, before it's too late.
Old 5 Apr 2012, 19:42 (Ref:3054207)   #2099
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
Yes of course he will make a profit overall but I doubt if the F1 channel will contribute much in the short term. Not with the extravagant fees paid for Brundle and co anyway. Sky is cash rich and incredibly profitable. The point I was trying to make was that with Murdoch he will play the long game. His aim is to take all F1 once either the BBC is so weakened by it's licence freeze or the next negotiations with Bernie. Then he might see a return.

Or he may not. Another recent Sky acquisition is the US drama "Mad Men", set in the ad world of the sixties and lauded with many awards. On the BBC it reached a peak audience of 335,000, Not many admittedly but popular and well received nonetheless.

On Sky last week the premiere of the new series attracted an audience of just 47,000!! To put that into perspective, a 30 second ad during the show would sell for less than $500.......

To Murdoch, screwing the BBC is the name of the game and if it costs a little for a few years for a long term domination he'll go for it. That's why it's important he's stopped now, before it's too late.
Those are fair points. Personally I have no love for the BBC but as a sports fan I find Murdoch's near monopoly on live sport outrageous. However he's smart enough not to have a complete monopoly.
Old 5 Apr 2012, 19:43 (Ref:3054208)   #2100
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post

I too am keen to see if they do much of that, but it's early days and it must have been a task getting done what they've done so far. Let's give it time and as the season goes on we'll have a legitimate complaint if it's still like that. Welcome to Ten-Tenths by the way. I hope you enjoy posting here.
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky