Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 Oct 2016, 08:51 (Ref:3679484)   #201
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Nothing would make me happier than seeing Alfa back on the grid in touring car form, preferrably in red or white though...
Old 12 Oct 2016, 09:15 (Ref:3679486)   #202
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Nothing would make me happier than seeing Alfa back on the grid in touring car form, preferrably in red or white though...
Beggars can't be choosers.
Old 12 Oct 2016, 09:35 (Ref:3679490)   #203
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Alfa Romeo is a brand that's gone into hibernation in this decade. It would be great to see them back in racing at some point
Old 12 Oct 2016, 10:17 (Ref:3679497)   #204
S700UBO
Racer

Scotland
Inverness
S700UBO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
I think they were hoping that Ford would bite and offer some support, particularly as they are running the Ecoboost which is the engine Ford are promoting in their models, but it didn't happen.

Added to which the new version of the NGTC engine has been proved to be quick in other cars and a lot of the development costs of doing your own engine is negated if TOCA cut the boost because it is deemed to quick!

I would imagine a Subaru type deal from Alfa is possible as they would not put in big budget as they are still low volume sales in the UK, but they are bringing on more dealers as they are consolidating FCA brands into dealerships, for example our local FIAT dealership are now FIAT, Alfa, Arbarth and Jeep 'retailers'.

would probably be keen on using hospitality programme to fund part of this which they would mark up to the dealers nearest the circuits and 'encourage' them to take a certain number of places...
Similar story up here in Inverness (minus Abarth)

still fresh in the memory of Tarquini having his roll at my first ever BTCC race at the age of 9 (was my 10th bday prezzie!) at knockhill in 1994 would be good to see an Alfa back on track in the BTCC
Old 12 Oct 2016, 10:19 (Ref:3679501)   #205
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmee View Post
See the attachment - from the OKI Print My Ride/Motorbase tutorial video. That'll get the rumour mill spinning nicely.

That's my contribution for the year, laters.
What? Do you think they're going to employ BatMan as a driver?
(Sorry, I hadn't refreshed my page and ironically thought I was being original!)

Last edited by VIVA GT; 12 Oct 2016 at 10:21. Reason: Pretty obvious really!
Old 12 Oct 2016, 10:52 (Ref:3679508)   #206
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
did some checking

the last Alfas which raced in BTCC were in 2007 , Quest racing with Eoin Murray and A-Tech with Dave Pinkney and Richard Marsh
http://www.eoinmurray.com/updater/up...063e4aef_o.jpg

and in 2008 we had the infamous Team 48 attempting to race....

and soemthing else if Motorbase switch car and likely get the TOCA unit it means just 3 teams will have their own engines

- BMR
- Team Dynamics
- WSR

the series is close to being a single engine series

also if this really happens maybe the Fords will end up at the likes of HARD ?
Old 12 Oct 2016, 11:05 (Ref:3679510)   #207
5five
Rookie

5five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
did some checking

the last Alfas which raced in BTCC were in 2007 , Quest racing with Eoin Murray and A-Tech with Dave Pinkney and Richard Marsh

and soemthing else if Motorbase switch car and likely get the TOCA unit it means just 3 teams will have their own engines

- BMR
- Team Dynamics
- WSR

Well it looks like the Avensii are on their way out of the Team HARD building.

Old 12 Oct 2016, 12:45 (Ref:3679545)   #208
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
did some checking

- BMR
- Team Dynamics
- WSR

If the Ford's are in the hands of another team, then they could still run with the EcoBoost.
Old 12 Oct 2016, 13:26 (Ref:3679560)   #209
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
did some checking

- BMR
- Team Dynamics
- WSR

I do think that variety is important. Sadly with the current ruleset the lack of variety in various aspects makes things a little stale (in my view). I would like to see a few things opened up.

- Free exhaust pipe placement.
- Free wheel manufacturer / design choice.
- Free gearbox / gear lever choice (eg off the shelf Xtrac, Hewland, Hollinger etc).
Old 12 Oct 2016, 13:40 (Ref:3679562)   #210
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Alfa Romeo is a brand that's gone into hibernation in this decade. It would be great to see them back in racing at some point
Could this also be why Mat Jackson was very coy on what he would be doing next year. He said it really depends on what direction or option the team takes. Remember Jackson's backers (Volvo) have a preference for what cars he drives, Ford was always ok, not sure they'd be happy on an Italian car
Old 12 Oct 2016, 14:14 (Ref:3679569)   #211
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alfa-Motorbase not an impossible move. Some years ago i read about Motorbase considering a switch to a NGTC BMW for Jackson...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114341

Maybe RW drive was a long shot...
Old 12 Oct 2016, 14:14 (Ref:3679570)   #212
Rob877
Racer

Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S700UBO View Post
Similar story up here in Inverness (minus Abarth)

still fresh in the memory of Tarquini having his roll at my first ever BTCC race at the age of 9 (was my 10th bday prezzie!) at knockhill in 1994 would be good to see an Alfa back on track in the BTCC

That was my first BTCC event too! There is a great 10 minutes or so of footage on YouTube, shot by someone in the crowd. Brings it all back to what is still probably my favorite season of BTCC. I still adore the sound of the normally aspirated Super Tourers. For me that's pretty much the only thing I don't about the NGTC regs. Although I do realise the cost implication of this.
Old 12 Oct 2016, 18:51 (Ref:3679605)   #213
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I do think that variety is important. Sadly with the current ruleset the lack of variety in various aspects makes things a little stale (in my view). I would like to see a few things opened up.

- Free exhaust pipe placement.
- Free wheel manufacturer / design choice.
- Free gearbox / gear lever choice (eg off the shelf Xtrac, Hewland, Hollinger etc).
This is something I've often thought about for a while. With the odd exception during the S2000 days (the Chevys ran Rays Gram Lights 57's IIRC) we've been stuck with (predominately black) Team Dynamics Pro Race multispokes.

I know Rimstock have got the exclusive supplier deal going with Toca, which no doubt saves the teams money on R&D, but I'm sure they could offer 2-3 designs, (a 6 spoke would be great) to give some variety!
Old 12 Oct 2016, 18:59 (Ref:3679607)   #214
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob877 View Post
Bravo sir, Bravo.

Would love to see that, can't beat getting some new models on the grid. Would be a strange move considering all the work that's gone in to the Ecoboost Ford Engine though. I'd be happy with just the Focus getting it's face-lift finally!
Fanning the flames... Who or what is to say Andrew Jordan will be driving for Motorbase?

He could take his Pirtek sponsorship elsewhere... How about to 888? The MG 6 is a dead donkey - not on sale so nowt for MG to justify marketing budget on - so why not a shiny new motor from scratch with some manufacturer backing? Alfa is trying to grow, the Giulia is targeted at taking customers of the BMW 3 series - so running rings around WSR would go down well... If Andy Jordan and 888 got it together.
Old 12 Oct 2016, 19:10 (Ref:3679610)   #215
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Didn't AJ burn a bunch of bridges at 888?
Old 12 Oct 2016, 19:21 (Ref:3679612)   #216
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Didn't AJ burn a bunch of bridges at 888?
Can't remember to be honest. Money talks though. And If not 888, then someone else... WSR?
Old 12 Oct 2016, 20:39 (Ref:3679624)   #217
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Can't remember to be honest. Money talks though. And If not 888, then someone else... WSR?
AJ has stated he's happy at Motorbase, so think he'all still be there, definately won't be back at 888! Fit's with Jackson's uncertainty of if he's staying too if they change car.
Old 13 Oct 2016, 06:15 (Ref:3679694)   #218
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Fanning the flames... Who or what is to say Andrew Jordan will be driving for Motorbase?

He could take his Pirtek sponsorship elsewhere... How about to 888? The MG 6 is a dead donkey - not on sale so nowt for MG to justify marketing budget on - so why not a shiny new motor from scratch with some manufacturer backing? Alfa is trying to grow, the Giulia is targeted at taking customers of the BMW 3 series - so running rings around WSR would go down well... If Andy Jordan and 888 got it together.
888 isn't the force it was in the Vauxhall and early days of the MG, they sold their factory, downsized on staff and are based in a corner of BMR's facility nowadays.
Old 13 Oct 2016, 09:37 (Ref:3679717)   #219
porsche962fan
Veteran

well Steve Neal is at it again but he does have a point
Old 13 Oct 2016, 11:08 (Ref:3679728)   #220
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrew Jordan will not be back at Triple Eight. Let me just confirm that right now.
Old 13 Oct 2016, 13:26 (Ref:3679754)   #221
Rob877
Racer

Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.touringcartimes.com/2016/10/13/honda-boss-calls-for-a-merit-based-driver-licence-system-for-the-btcc/

Just thought I'd throw the link to the article up on here. For once I'm inclined to partially agree with him. I think a points based license system would be a good idea in principal, not really sure how it would be worked considering how many undoubtedly talented drivers can't get a drive in BTCC purely down to budget issues. Limiting the number of cars on the grid would be a backwards step on my opinion. I would rather give the new penalty system a year and see how that goes as I think there was a bit of an increase in driving standards once that was implemented.

Last edited by Rob877; 13 Oct 2016 at 13:32.
Old 13 Oct 2016, 14:09 (Ref:3679761)   #222
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
This is something I've often thought about for a while. With the odd exception during the S2000 days (the Chevys ran Rays Gram Lights 57's IIRC) we've been stuck with (predominately black) Team Dynamics Pro Race multispokes.

I know Rimstock have got the exclusive supplier deal going with Toca, which no doubt saves the teams money on R&D, but I'm sure they could offer 2-3 designs, (a 6 spoke would be great) to give some variety!
To be honest, there is so much I would like to change about the current regs I probably don't have time to list them all. However offering say 3 or 4 different wheel designs certainly wouldn't hurt.
Old 13 Oct 2016, 14:59 (Ref:3679772)   #223
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob877 View Post
http://www.touringcartimes.com/2016/10/13/honda-boss-calls-for-a-merit-based-driver-licence-system-for-the-btcc/

Just thought I'd throw the link to the article up on here. For once I'm inclined to partially agree with him. I think a points based license system would be a good idea in principal, not really sure how it would be worked considering how many undoubtedly talented drivers can't get a drive in BTCC purely down to budget issues. Limiting the number of cars on the grid would be a backwards step on my opinion. I would rather give the new penalty system a year and see how that goes as I think there was a bit of an increase in driving standards once that was implemented.
I can't see Gow going for this he is more likely to say that if some teams don't like it go race somewhere else. He will have a long memory when the BTCC was scratching around to even get a decent grid, I remember being at TOCA meetings at the end of '99 and start of 2000 when there was the prospect of only 9 or 10 cars on the grid, hence the National Saloon boys were asked to join and make up the grid.

The BTCC is in a golden period at the moment, but it doesn't take long for things to chance, downturn on the econonmy, ageing cars and not sufficent new build sees competitive car numbers decline, etc. Ironocally if there is a down turn, generally the 'gentleman driver' is better placed to ride it out (there is an argument that those with money, make money in a downturn) where as sponsors and driver investors may dry up.

I agree to review how the harsher penalties work but I can see some teams crying foul if they have to turn funded drivers away because they now don't have the right TOCA licence and if say you made it that you had to finish in the top 6 of a recognised suport series championship to qualify - like Ginetta Cup/ Clio Cup or a similar overseas series how many of the current runners and riders would meet that criteria..
Old 13 Oct 2016, 15:19 (Ref:3679775)   #224
porsche962fan
Veteran

they could increase the number of mandatory NGTC testing miles before being allowed on the grid regarding new comers
Old 13 Oct 2016, 15:40 (Ref:3679783)   #225
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
There's already a theoretical mandatory minimum test mileage, but driving around on your own for 100's of miles doesn't teach you anything about race-craft or being mid-pack surrounded by 2 dozen similar cars.