Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Dec 2016, 16:39 (Ref:3693922)   #126
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Mercedes would love the publicity. No such thing as bad publicity.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 17:27 (Ref:3693929)   #127
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
...question for me is do Merc want to, or are they able to, handle FA and LH at the same time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Mercedes would love the publicity. No such thing as bad publicity.
The brand might enjoy the publicity, but will the staff who have to deal with it on a daily basis want the hassle!?

Richard
Old 5 Dec 2016, 17:38 (Ref:3693933)   #128
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I'm sure Toto and Lauda get a few bob in wages to cover.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 17:57 (Ref:3693940)   #129
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
in one move (letting Alonso go) he would make Mclaren look magnanimous from a PR point of view, save the teams tens of millions, distance his tenure from that of Ron's, and help his publications sell a mega ton of copies.
Honda pays Alonso's retainer, not McLaren.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 18:09 (Ref:3693949)   #130
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yes he would be saving Honda tens of millions...which may even be the better thing.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 18:12 (Ref:3693950)   #131
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMitchell View Post
If i was to bet, it would have to be all in on Pascal Wehrlein. It seems to have been set up to go this way if Rosberg decided to retire.
If I was to bet, I'd put my money on Sainz.
Probably isn't going to happen, like 24 of the 25 names that are thrown out, but if it does I'd probably be rich(er)

Old 5 Dec 2016, 18:13 (Ref:3693952)   #132
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
For some reason I can see Maldonado coming back either at Mercedes or at one of the seats that becomes available as a result
Old 5 Dec 2016, 21:50 (Ref:3693993)   #133
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
For some reason I can see Maldonado coming back either at Mercedes or at one of the seats that becomes available as a result
Tell me that's just a bad dream and you've woken up now.......?
Old 5 Dec 2016, 23:40 (Ref:3694008)   #134
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So.. if Mr Alonso does go to Mercedes, will Mr Button make a come back?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 6 Dec 2016, 00:10 (Ref:3694018)   #135
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I'm setting myself up for a fall here, but Alonso will not be at Mercedes next year. Zero chance. Why would McLaren release him to drive for a competitor? Cui bono, as they say on da street?
Old 6 Dec 2016, 01:45 (Ref:3694036)   #136
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All drivers (who can set/influence their own contracts) should have a better car clause. What the penalty is for using that clause... LH, Ferando, Seb etc wouldn't have signed a contract that favours the team over them.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 02:28 (Ref:3694043)   #137
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post
All drivers (who can set/influence their own contracts) should have a better car clause. What the penalty is for using that clause... LH, Ferando, Seb etc wouldn't have signed a contract that favours the team over them.
It was reported when he signed for McLaren that ALO had a clause that allowed him out of his contract based on team performance but he chose not to exercise it last year. They did better this year so perhaps it is not available to him.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 04:39 (Ref:3694073)   #138
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholosophy View Post
It was reported when he signed for McLaren that ALO had a clause that allowed him out of his contract based on team performance but he chose not to exercise it last year. They did better this year so perhaps it is not available to him.
It would be difficult to believe that Fred would accept tenth as an acceptable standard to be tied in to McLaren with no possible escape clause!

Having said that I think there may be hope yet that Fred gets it!
Old 6 Dec 2016, 07:08 (Ref:3694090)   #139
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
It would be difficult to believe that Fred would accept tenth as an acceptable standard to be tied in to McLaren with no possible escape clause!

Having said that I think there may be hope yet that Fred gets it!
or perhaps not

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3...cient-history/

"He has a straight three-year contract with us, with no options. It's as simple as that," Dennis added.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 07:24 (Ref:3694094)   #140
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
F1 contracts are as water tight as dunny paper...
Old 6 Dec 2016, 09:55 (Ref:3694126)   #141
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Honouring contracts is meaningless in F1, as Rosberg has just demonstrated...
Old 6 Dec 2016, 10:46 (Ref:3694133)   #142
wnut
Veteran

Guess you guys nailed that one!

Alonso in the running!

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3...onso-for-seat/

Could probably argue that McLaren without Ron Dennis is not capable of delivering what he was promised and is no longer the same organization. ??
Old 6 Dec 2016, 12:38 (Ref:3694149)   #143
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
"Could probably argue that McLaren without Ron Dennis is not capable of delivering what he was promised and is no longer the same organization. ??"

Cracked it wnut.
Merc need to open their cheque book to Mclaren.
He will be in the seat..
At least Mc haven't got to "reprimand" Lewis for disobeying orders now, just give Alonso the second seat. And Lewis thought Rosberg was hard to beat?

Last edited by djinvicta; 6 Dec 2016 at 12:47. Reason: Add on
Old 6 Dec 2016, 12:57 (Ref:3694155)   #144
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I still don't think it'll be the Spaniard. But there are also two different things here; it may be (though I suspect not) that Alonso can get out of driving for McLaren next year. Whether he can drive for anyone else is a different matter.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 13:14 (Ref:3694162)   #145
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much would it be worth to Bernie to have the spectacle of having Hamilton and Alonso together in a top team?

Would he be willing to chip in a few million to see that happen to "improve the show" to convince Mercedes who might have doubts about the cost of a Alonso buy out and mess of having to deal with Hamilton and Alonso? Although I can imagine him being reluctant after the engine saga, I reckon he is also a pragmatic man.

Unlikely, but who knows.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 13:52 (Ref:3694170)   #146
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'm firmly team sainz on this matter. though i agree with various folk that bottas or wehrlein are the most likely choices.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 13:59 (Ref:3694174)   #147
PeterY
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
PeterY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bottas at Merc, Wehrlein will get the Williams seat and Williams will get a better deal on engines.

Only loser in that is Merc but will be ideal to pick up the no.2 role and collect all points available
Old 6 Dec 2016, 14:17 (Ref:3694183)   #148
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massa says he would come out of retirement for Rosbergs seat lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 Dec 2016, 14:49 (Ref:3694194)   #149
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Massa says he would come out of retirement for Rosbergs seat lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't think he needs to worry himself too much about that.

Alonso has to be the driver they want but it's whether he can get out of his contract (scratched record)

Bottas seems the logical driver with everything that's been discussed so far re Wolff, Williams' bank balance, Mercedes etc. And I think he would make perfectly good use of a race winning car.

Sainz would be the really exciting choice because his pace might well give Lewis a fright even though ultimately I doubt he could consistently hassle him over a race distance to begin with.

Other than that I'd like to see Checo get another go in a top car. Well actually it would be his first go in a top car because the 2013 McLaren was anything but, it was a dog! but it would be a second bite at a top team. I think he'd et the job done, after all although Button beat him over the season in 2013 there were several races where he looked by far the more competitive driver and since then he's developed his skills and aptitude further.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 15:37 (Ref:3694201)   #150
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yeah Perez deserves a second chance in a top, after all he has recovered well from that disappointing season with McLaren