Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Feb 2004, 23:05 (Ref:879897)   #26
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is it a big deal because Boots mentioned it or because everyone else is going on about it?

I'm sure Boots just meant it as an interesting aside. The same as saying something like 'isn't he the first driver from Sweden since...', or 'first driver with red hair...', or 'first driver who is called James since...' (you get the idea!).

Maybe we are being a bit too PC here. I feel it is best if it is just dropped now, because I fear it would be impossible to have any resonable discussion anyway.

FIRE, good effort with trying to post something that is relevant to the thread...
Old 19 Feb 2004, 23:10 (Ref:879902)   #27
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
According to Minardi Tom Coronel will be NOT Minardi's 3rd driver. Coronel will only drive the car a few times on request of Wilux. Source: http://www.f1news.nl/index.php?id=2296
Interesting. So has it been confirmed? Well there is nothing on the Minardi website either way. The original link says that he should be the reserve driver, but that it wasn't finalised.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 06:33 (Ref:880118)   #28
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've always been a big fan of coronel and always thought he was one of those guys like Tom Kristensen that got shafted by F1 just because they did not have the cash. I hope he gets the drive.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 09:43 (Ref:880216)   #29
DENIS G
Rookie

DENIS G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
Glock will be 3rd driver of Jordan.

Coronel will be 3rd driver of Minardi, but Stoddart is still negotiating with Chinese sponsors and if they get an agreement Coronol will be not 3rd driver.

It's a weird year for Dutch F1 racing.
Many drivers on Minardi for 3rd seat,this winter !
Wilson
Firman
Bobbi
Kovalainen
Lopez
Del Monte
Siedler
Karthikeyan
Sidi Said
Gommendy
Davison and Power
now Coronel
and what about Zlobin ???
Old 20 Feb 2004, 10:29 (Ref:880256)   #30
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wilson and Firman can't due to the experience rule
Old 20 Feb 2004, 10:31 (Ref:880257)   #31
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wouldn't recommend Slowbin to any F1 team owner...
Never heard of the majority on that list too.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 11:43 (Ref:880307)   #32
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Adam's got it right - I only mentioned it as a curio. If people are offended by the very use of someone's ethnicity, naitonality or religion then I'd say political correctness has gone too far. Whatever next, a group of short guys suing NBA clubs for not hiring them?

Seems like the question's academic anyway. Minardi will probably continue with their plan to sell the third seat to local drivers at each race.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 13:44 (Ref:880431)   #33
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
Heck. I didn't know Rosset was Jewish!!!!
Neither I ! I know this is some kind of trivia, but how did you know about that Boots ???
Old 20 Feb 2004, 16:00 (Ref:880567)   #34
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How did I know about it?

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=Jewish
Old 20 Feb 2004, 16:16 (Ref:880578)   #35
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
Tom Coronel did beat Firman in the Formule Nippon chapionship, he won the championship in 99 in his 2nd year, Firman won the championship in his 5th year.
Well, Firman wasn't a serious title contender in his G-Force, what wasn't as good as the Reynards... The only serious contender against Coronel in 1999 F.Nippon season was Satoshi Motoyama.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 16:55 (Ref:880611)   #36
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Coronel went well in sports cars IIRC - particularly the Lister Storm.
Old 21 Feb 2004, 14:21 (Ref:881373)   #37
demarco
Rookie

demarco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone who witnessed Tom Coronel at Monza in ETCC last year, knows how good he is. And, he is a big hero in Holland which would make him ideal for the 3rd driver seat seen in the view of the big Dutch interest in F1 at the moment, from businesses that is.
Old 21 Feb 2004, 14:33 (Ref:881378)   #38
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by demarco
Anyone who witnessed Tom Coronel at Monza in ETCC last year, knows how good he is. And, he is a big hero in Holland which would make him ideal for the 3rd driver seat seen in the view of the big Dutch interest in F1 at the moment, from businesses that is.
:confused:

Last edited by FIRE; 21 Feb 2004 at 14:34.
Old 22 Feb 2004, 09:37 (Ref:881769)   #39
demarco
Rookie

Haha, okey, to MOST people in Holland he is a big hero!

I have been to some sponsor events in NL, where Tom was supposed to be a person supporting others, but very soon found himself turned into the main act because of who he is.

And, he is a very charming and fun person who also happens to be a very good driver, so from a Minardi+Dutch companies point of view, he would be the ideal choice. IMHO, of course.
Old 22 Feb 2004, 18:05 (Ref:881995)   #40
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most people??

I would say: very few........
Old 22 Feb 2004, 20:24 (Ref:882097)   #41
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most people??

I would say: very few........

Ah, i’d say: very few among die hard Verstappen fans, because Tom was considered a threat to Jos a couple of years ago (the Arrows seat).

It seems very insecure what this deal with Minardi, or Willux, means. Now it seems Tom is not the no 3 driver (yet?) We’ll have to wait how this develops. Meanwhile I have my doubts if Tom is physically ready for F1 at this moment. He’ll have to do some work out I think.

And, let’s not forget, he took his F3 and Nippon titles, but both of them took him 2 years. It’s not a veni vidi vici thing, although not as bad as Firman who needed 5(!) years to get the Nippon Championship.
Old 22 Feb 2004, 20:46 (Ref:882115)   #42
demarco
Rookie

Dont mean to be offensive, but winning two champions in the second year of each championship sounds very "usual", doesnt it? First year a learning year and second year go for the title. Of you ask any young driver, that is exactly their plan. Right?

Anyway, I also agree that poor old Uncle Tom would need to do some heavy workout, but still, from a promotional point of view, he would be ideal, if only for some promotional drives.
Old 22 Feb 2004, 20:50 (Ref:882119)   #43
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Didn't he do already 1 season F3 in Germany?

I think he's a very good touring and sports car driver, but for F1 he's not good enough. The words come out his mouth at a speed like driving top speed thru Eau Rouge!
Old 22 Feb 2004, 21:26 (Ref:882158)   #44
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Yes, Tom did German F3 in 1995 and ended 7th in the standings. In 1996 he moved to Japan. Did F3 there end came 3d in the championship. The next year, 1997, (his 3d in F3), he became Japanese Champion, came second at Macau and won the Zandvoort Masters. Great Year! In 1998 he competed in the Nippon Championship and the Japanese GT championship, some races won, but no titles. In 1999 he did the same and grabbed the Nippon title. Since then he competed in Touring cars and GT’s.

Believe me, unlike some other Dutch people, I like Tom a lot and I appreciate him for being a very good, fast and reliable driver. But let’s face it, from the time he went to international racing he never came to a new formula and won it from there, it always took at least one extra year (he did win in his full season in clubracing and in his first year in Dutch touringcars though).
Still, the man hasn’t been around a formula car since his Nippon championship in 1999. that’s 4 years not competing in formula racing. He must have lost momentum and he’ll have to do a lot of practising to get back to the level he was at by the end of 1999. Shame he didn’t get a drive in 2000, I think if he would have got a TWO YEAR contract in 2000 he could have been an established F1 driver by now.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 10:34 (Ref:882634)   #45
demarco
Rookie

Dont forget he drove an F1 car in Formula BOSS Series at Zandvoort in 2002!

Last edited by demarco; 23 Feb 2004 at 10:35.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 18:44 (Ref:883069)   #46
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Quote:
Dont forget he drove an F1 car in Formula BOSS Series at Zandvoort in 2002!
So he drove a Boss F1. Nice. We're talking about being competitive in GP's, not about enjoying yourself with wealthy amateurs.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 20:34 (Ref:883214)   #47
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
and he did'nt beat those amateurs either:

1 Earl GODDARD Benetton-Ford 1m26.074s
2 Phil ANDREWS Ascari-Judd + 1.825s
3 Tom CORONEL Ascari - Judd + 2.379s

Earl Goddard??, Phil Andrews??
Old 23 Feb 2004, 21:34 (Ref:883281)   #48
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
In his defence, if you'd call it defence, I seem to remember he stalled on the start line or something like that and came back to finish, indeed, as third. Great drive, but as you mentioned, who the h*** was he competing against?
Old 23 Feb 2004, 22:32 (Ref:883337)   #49
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
I don't remember that at all, even though I was sitting right in front of the grid.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 22:50 (Ref:883353)   #50
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
I was looking at the grid from the back side. It seemed a lot safer from there.