Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 23 Mar 2017, 16:22 (Ref:3720928)   #976
jcdeleted
Rookie

jcdeleted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I'm told 'Crash & Burn' is being shown again on BBC4 on Monday evening, don't know what time.

Goodwood MM is also on Monday evening, ITV4 at 9pm UK time.

Bet they clash...

Goodwood MM also on ITV4 tonight (Thursday) at 9pm.
Old 23 Mar 2017, 19:10 (Ref:3720954)   #977
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Moving on im up at 4 am as testing at Blyton Park . My first visit .
I read 'Blyton' as 'Bletchley' first time. Couldn't think why you'd be visiting the wartime code-breakers HQ........
Old 23 Mar 2017, 19:23 (Ref:3720958)   #978
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I always thought it was Lawrence Tomlinson's concept anyway so that's probably an accounting change.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Quite right about Laurence Tomlinson, Ginetta announced yesterday that they had taken over Blyton retaining Richard Usher to oversee the day today running.
Old 23 Mar 2017, 20:33 (Ref:3720980)   #979
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Quite right about Laurence Tomlinson, Ginetta announced yesterday that they had taken over Blyton retaining Richard Usher to oversee the day today running.
Richard did drivers briefing . When some **** left his phone on and it rang twice he told him straight to switch off . Blooming good bloke . The track lay out is his design . For an old air field it was brilliant .
Old 24 Mar 2017, 00:29 (Ref:3721024)   #980
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
AROC did a trackday there (Blyton) a year or so ago - enjoyed some entertaining rides around a surprisingly testing circuit. Sure with Ginetta's backing facilities will continue to improve
Old 24 Mar 2017, 06:24 (Ref:3721067)   #981
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Richard did drivers briefing . When some **** left his phone on and it rang twice he told him straight to switch off .
Wasn't yours then....
Old 24 Mar 2017, 13:06 (Ref:3721154)   #982
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there anybody that can translate this for me please? I've tried Google Translate but it doesn't seem to work. I think it has something to do with F1 but thought I would post it here for the benefit of the Historic 'Tenthers who still retain some interest in F1.

Credit to Andrew Benson / BBC for the original piece.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 13.00.46.png  
Old 24 Mar 2017, 13:23 (Ref:3721164)   #983
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Is there anybody that can translate this for me please? I've tried Google Translate but it doesn't seem to work. I think it has something to do with F1 but thought I would post it here for the benefit of the Historic 'Tenthers who still retain some interest in F1.

Has anyone ever seen Sean Bratches and Ron Dennis in the same room?
(It just sounds a familiar style...)
Old 24 Mar 2017, 13:24 (Ref:3721165)   #984
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

I think he means :

"We have no specific idea about how to make this popular enough to xtract even more money from the masses, especially the young people we need for the future, so we will try everything we can think of and see what happens.

If something works we can "hail" it at a great strategic commercial decision.

Anything that fails will be quietly ignored. Since we have not announced that we will be trying it we can simply ignore it and pretend it was never really considered.

Meanwhile we will take a look at what the Formula E attempts have delivered to see if there is anything we can "borrow" from them."
Old 24 Mar 2017, 15:48 (Ref:3721210)   #985
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:

Ron Dennis has lost his crown!

Sounds like we have a couple of seasons left to 'enjoy' FTA.......
Old 24 Mar 2017, 15:52 (Ref:3721211)   #986
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Ah, 60th for Fiat 500. Thought perhaps they were going to use them for VIP movement during the Classic!

Just had a de-brief with my HF1 neighbours. They reckoned quite busy in the morning, then after the lunchtime passenger rides it all went relatively dead...... Their two drivers almost didn't turn up- fog delaying their (heliocopter) departure from home! Cars survived and didn't break, so a sort of success......

Some of the customs are 'growing on me', if done well. I've watched the odd episode of 'Counting Cars' recently!

There's a Classic dragster meeting at the Pod at the end of April, I think. Bet it clashes with Donington.....
Not sure if I should do this (you can always delete it!) but here's a link to my stuff from Arras. There was a very smart 205 Rallye too. It's a lovely event that brings in anything & everything. http://www.doubledeclutch.com/?p=16271

Last edited by Mike Bell; 24 Mar 2017 at 16:44. Reason: Moved from Media Day thread
Old 24 Mar 2017, 16:47 (Ref:3721220)   #987
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Not sure if I should do this (you can always delete it!) but here's a link to my stuff from Arras. There was a very smart 205 Rallye too. It's a lovely event that brings in anything & everything. http://www.doubledeclutch.com/?p=16271
Very tidy, although I prefer the look on original steel wheels.........
Old 24 Mar 2017, 18:56 (Ref:3721239)   #988
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Nice pics/ text as on usual "Jean", thanks for sharing. What is the conversion for the Midget please?
Very popular here a lot of Traction. The example sitting in the Citroën museum was export England one and shows some interior differences with the lhd models with metal parts painted in wood style Ã* la Facel Vega.
Mike, agreed for the 205 wheels!
Old 24 Mar 2017, 19:01 (Ref:3721242)   #989
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Nice pics/ text as on usual "Jean", thanks for sharing. What is the conversion for the Midget please?
Very popular here a lot of Traction. The example sitting in the Citroën museum was export England one and shows some interior differences with the lhd models with metal parts painted in wood style Ã* la Facel Vega.
Merci pour les compliments!

The Midget was an Ashley conversion, probably the only one that wasn't at Goodwood & probably more genuine than some! I heard a Goodwood commentator say that it is remarkable what you can do with a 70's rubber bumper Midget!
Old 24 Mar 2017, 19:09 (Ref:3721247)   #990
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Il n'y a pas de quoi, Jean, ça me fait plaisir!
I read this comment too. The pleasure I had watching the Westlake was of type "with no rubber" if you see what I mean…
Old 24 Mar 2017, 19:17 (Ref:3721249)   #991
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Did you have some CG's coupés in UK? Strange to see that in Arras which is not that far from Belgium they didn't bring more Minerva or Sarolea (quality made) or Flandria mopeds (Flandria made very nice looking baby stroller). May be you should consider a visit to Lille's braderie !!
Old 24 Mar 2017, 19:31 (Ref:3721254)   #992
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Did you have some CG's coupés in UK? Strange to see that in Arras which is not that far from Belgium they didn't bring more Minerva or Sarolea (quality made) or Flandria mopeds (Flandria made very nice looking baby stroller). May be you should consider a visit to Lille's braderie !!
I don't think CG's ever made it to the UK, at least not officially.

I'm always amazed at the stuff which turns up at the Arras show. I think mostly they are local, although there are always a few visitors from Belgium, the UK & even Holland.

The Lille Braderie was cancelled last year because of worries about terrorism; they felt it would be very difficult to secure all the little streets. Even the Marche de Noel was surrounded by a high fence & security guards.

Last edited by John Elwin; 24 Mar 2017 at 19:32. Reason: Missing word
Old 24 Mar 2017, 19:41 (Ref:3721259)   #993
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
CG story can be considered as being sad or modest or pathetic. They were said to be Alpine for wussies (Mike please do moderate this if not correct!). Simca Chrysler was a little bit embarrassed with this situation so they had the MC model made. It was in fact a Matra mid engineered prototype in CG guise!!

Probably the braderie will take place this year. And Lille is a town, nothing to see with underwear Bob …
Old 24 Mar 2017, 21:38 (Ref:3721280)   #994
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Scan of old photo, so apologies for poor quality..... Car just back from Belgium Peugeot dealer in 1989. Many owners fitted alloy wheels though! I need a set of the wheel centre caps- think they were from a Peugeot van!

Anorak note- Did you know that the German version used a detuned 1.9 engine rather than than TU?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 24 Mar 2017, 21:47 (Ref:3721281)   #995
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Scan of old photo, so apologies for poor quality..... Car just back from Belgium Peugeot dealer in 1989. Many owners fitted alloy wheels though! I need a set of the wheel centre caps- think they were from a Peugeot van!

Anorak note- Did you know that the German version used a detuned 1.9 engine rather than than TU?
If you had posted that last week I could have scoured the autojumble for you on Sunday...
Old 25 Mar 2017, 00:00 (Ref:3721293)   #996
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Merci pour les compliments!

The Midget was an Ashley conversion, probably the only one that wasn't at Goodwood & probably more genuine than some! I heard a Goodwood commentator say that it is remarkable what you can do with a 70's rubber bumper Midget!
Surely no Ashley in period had a boot spoiler / kamm tail call it what you will? My bet is it's Williams & Pritchard, although in any event the bonnet side vents shouldn't be there!
The modern Ashley 're-creation / continuation' by one of the Davis's does have the rear spoiler, only because the original Ashley goes dangerously light on the back end at race speeds.

Here's an original Ashley advert:
Attached Thumbnails
Ashley advert #2.jpg  
Old 25 Mar 2017, 00:05 (Ref:3721294)   #997
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
and here's a W&P one that went though my hands a few years back:

(sorry my editing skills aren't good enough to put all in one post!)
Attached Thumbnails
W&Ptop#10.JPG  
Old 25 Mar 2017, 06:36 (Ref:3721344)   #998
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Surely no Ashley in period had a boot spoiler / kamm tail call it what you will? My bet is it's Williams & Pritchard, although in any event the bonnet side vents shouldn't be there!
The modern Ashley 're-creation / continuation' by one of the Davis's does have the rear spoiler, only because the original Ashley goes dangerously light on the back end at race speeds.

Here's an original Ashley advert:
I'm afraid I'm not enough of an expert to know - I went by what was on the information board, which said it was an Ashley. Admittedly I did think it looked quite 'modern'.
Old 25 Mar 2017, 07:21 (Ref:3721348)   #999
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Congrats MGDavid many things to learn here once again. hard to find what was what because you had so many suppliers involved in this business.
Mike c'on, as already said if you need something for your 205 just ask. I guarantee only that I'll try to find. "Jean" I think mike is looking for "enjoliveurs de centre de roue" and that van means in this case "utilitaire".
Are they plastic made with a moulded lion head? Slightly boring to put in place if you want to force them when the 4 bolts are already there?
Old 25 Mar 2017, 07:25 (Ref:3721350)   #1000
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Are they plastic made with a moulded lion head? Slightly boring to put in place if you want to force them when the 4 bolts are already there?
Yes, exactly that. Black plastic, lion highlighted in silver. Bolts hold them in place....