Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Nov 2012, 14:40 (Ref:3168545)   #1
Bob Pomeroy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Herts
Bob Pomeroy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
e-petition for modified historic vehicles

I have just come across the news that the EU are planning legislation to ban non-approved (ie non original equipment) modifications from all road worthy historic vehicles. Am I the victim of a spoof [quite possibly] or are the bureaucrats in Brussels really seeking to rid us of our pride and joy [quite probably]?

The link I have found is:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/37784

Please note the short deadline for signing up to this.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 16:06 (Ref:3168589)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pomeroy View Post
I have just come across the news that the EU are planning legislation to ban non-approved (ie non original equipment) modifications from all road worthy historic vehicles. Am I the victim of a spoof [quite possibly] or are the bureaucrats in Brussels really seeking to rid us of our pride and joy [quite probably]?
No, you are not vicim of a spoof. The FBHVC website documents the proposal HERE and you will note that it is only a draft at the moment.

I will be signing petition, regardless!
Old 19 Nov 2012, 16:58 (Ref:3168613)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DONE!
Old 19 Nov 2012, 20:21 (Ref:3168717)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Me too, time to get out of Europe, they were saying on BBC Breakfast this morning that 60% of the British public want out, I'm one of them.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 22:26 (Ref:3168792)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Bring back bent bananas !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 19 Nov 2012, 22:56 (Ref:3168804)   #6
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just signed

OK a V8 dropped into a Lotus 6 would be crazy but decent quality fuel and brake lines is common sense on most classics.

Maybe they want us to run on cross-ply too as they were factory fitted
Old 20 Nov 2012, 00:01 (Ref:3168826)   #7
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't forget that there are EU officials who drive classic cars and that lobbying groups have to justify their fund raising.

Such suggestions are only a starting point which will always be extreme and it's rather unlikely that countries like France with rather lenient MOT systems (especially for older cars) are going to accept a huge increase in standards so will water them down anyway.

Personally I've always wondered how people get away with completely re-engineering cars and doubt that an MOT test is capable of determining whether a car has been competently constructed (which is presumably the idea behind the SVA test in the UK) and think there should be a system of more detailed inspection for seriously modified cars.

Apart from the difficulties in making rules retrospective I think you will find they are more worried about highly tuned/modified recent cars (which are rather more common and faster than our old cars) - e.g. it is easy to double the power output of many modern road cars which are unlikely to have been built to cope with such increases.
Old 20 Nov 2012, 08:23 (Ref:3168936)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Me too, time to get out of Europe, they were saying on BBC Breakfast this morning that 60% of the British public want out, I'm one of them.
I,m not!! Best thing we ever did.should have done it years ago.
Old 20 Nov 2012, 09:27 (Ref:3168959)   #9
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does that mean you want to be in or out Terry, I dont mind being in as long as we are in charge.
As the rescuer of Europe twice in the last century I think we have earned that right.
Old 20 Nov 2012, 09:42 (Ref:3168961)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quite frankly I've grown sick and tired of the UK,attitudes amongst some of those I know also general are just sooo different to those in Germany. For instance,when some one tell's you they will do something,they do it !
Old 20 Nov 2012, 11:52 (Ref:3169010)   #11
Tim Barry
Racer

United Kingdom
Rainham, Kent, UK
Tim Barry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Signed and acknowledged!
Old 20 Nov 2012, 12:02 (Ref:3169013)   #12
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Barry View Post
Signed and acknowledged!

Ditto
Old 20 Nov 2012, 12:34 (Ref:3169024)   #13
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
Don't forget that there are EU officials who drive classic cars and that lobbying groups have to justify their fund raising.

Such suggestions are only a starting point which will always be extreme and it's rather unlikely that countries like France with rather lenient MOT systems (especially for older cars) are going to accept a huge increase in standards so will water them down anyway.

Personally I've always wondered how people get away with completely re-engineering cars and doubt that an MOT test is capable of determining whether a car has been competently constructed (which is presumably the idea behind the SVA test in the UK) and think there should be a system of more detailed inspection for seriously modified cars.

Apart from the difficulties in making rules retrospective I think you will find they are more worried about highly tuned/modified recent cars (which are rather more common and faster than our old cars) - e.g. it is easy to double the power output of many modern road cars which are unlikely to have been built to cope with such increases.
Hear,hear. This is only a proposal at present, and no doubt can be amended or even scrapped. On another website a barrister who is a site member has perused the whole shebang and reckons there's nothing to be worried about - the intention is to make sure that people who wish to modify their cars do so within safety limits. In other words, they're trying to stop the numpties who don't uprate braking and handling packages to suit an increase in power.

I have seen numerous examples of this on other sites, where the members are in awe of someone who has fitted a Cosworth motor in a Fiesta, or some such car, and done nothing about the rest . It's all about the "it's got 400bhp, and the tyres light up", just puerile nonsense, and no regard to the safety of occupants or other road users. We all know the type I mean.

These modified cars need thorough checks before they're allowed on the highway - I'm not convinced that the current MOT system is good enough to weed them out. It depends who you know at the garage, if you get the drift. (In Northern Ireland the tests are carried out at Government stations, and are VERY thorough. No chance of slipping through the net).

As you suggest, the modern car is so easily uprated by chipping, and I feel there will always be idiots who don't know when to stop - hopefully this legislation will be correctly applied to them ,and not to racing/classic car enthusiasts who know what they're doing.
Old 20 Nov 2012, 12:50 (Ref:3169029)   #14
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Why banning??? They could just tax them heavier.
Old 20 Nov 2012, 13:08 (Ref:3169037)   #15
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
These modified cars need thorough checks before they're allowed on the highway - I'm not convinced that the current MOT system is good enough to weed them out. It depends who you know at the garage, if you get the drift. (In Northern Ireland the tests are carried out at Government stations, and are VERY thorough. No chance of slipping through the net).
Funny you should use the word drift, I met a classic car enthusiast in Northern Ireland whose son was into drifting which is apparently rather popular.

As you say, a system that doesn't use centrally ran MOT stations is always going to be open to exploitation and even that isn't foolproof.
Old 20 Nov 2012, 20:37 (Ref:3169161)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Drifting? What a waste of time that is, I just don't get it.
Old 20 Nov 2012, 20:44 (Ref:3169162)   #17
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Drifting? What a waste of time that is, I just don't get it.
There was a time when the Japanese copied us - now we copy them. Viz the camber/stretched tyres scene etc.

(My use of the word drift earlier had nothing to do with that "sport", more to do with the old chocolate bar ad "get ma drift?")
Old 20 Nov 2012, 21:22 (Ref:3169181)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence Bower View Post
I,m not!! Best thing we ever did.should have done it years ago.

Edited because of not being very clear: For "we" read my wife and I should have made the move years ago,far better way of life.
Old 21 Nov 2012, 12:04 (Ref:3169410)   #19
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Reports in the press that the European Commission has proposed to make modifications to cars illegal, or to ban classic cars unless they are unchanged since manufacture are entirely wrong.

The Commission’s proposals would not, if agreed by the Member States and the European Parliament, make any difference to the current situation regarding MOT testing in the UK except to make most classic cars more than 30 years old exempt from testing if they are not used day-to-day on the roads.

All other cars would remain subject to roadworthiness testing, just as they are now. Whether or not they have been modified is not of itself relevant: what counts is whether they are safe and that is what is assessed by MOT tests in the UK and by the equivalent tests elsewhere.

What the proposals will do is require all Member States to bring their road worthiness tests up to a certain level of rigour, already applied in the UK : for example, motorbikes will need to be tested regularly everywhere, as they are already in the UK. This will make driving safer for UK drivers at home and abroad.

The Commission is writing separately to all the newspapers concerned, none of which checked the facts with us before publication.

http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/...are-incorrect/

Nothing to see here folks, just another internet hoax doing the rounds.
Old 21 Nov 2012, 12:50 (Ref:3169420)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Indeed, and just for the record, I think you'll find the 'straight banana' issue was product of the British tabloid press. I couldn't get a straight banana in Tescos if I tried. They are all beautifully curved as ever.
Old 21 Nov 2012, 13:24 (Ref:3169436)   #21
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't trust any Euro Government or any government for that matter, they are all in it for what they can get out of it themselves - tax us to death

Sign the petition then it can be debated - if its not debated then they will do whatever they please
Old 21 Nov 2012, 14:00 (Ref:3169442)   #22
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Reports in the press that the European Commission has proposed to make modifications to cars illegal, or to ban classic cars unless they are unchanged since manufacture are entirely wrong.

The Commission’s proposals would not, if agreed by the Member States and the European Parliament, make any difference to the current situation regarding MOT testing in the UK except to make most classic cars more than 30 years old exempt from testing if they are not used day-to-day on the roads.

All other cars would remain subject to roadworthiness testing, just as they are now. Whether or not they have been modified is not of itself relevant: what counts is whether they are safe and that is what is assessed by MOT tests in the UK and by the equivalent tests elsewhere.

What the proposals will do is require all Member States to bring their road worthiness tests up to a certain level of rigour, already applied in the UK : for example, motorbikes will need to be tested regularly everywhere, as they are already in the UK. This will make driving safer for UK drivers at home and abroad.

The Commission is writing separately to all the newspapers concerned, none of which checked the facts with us before publication.

http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/...are-incorrect/

Nothing to see here folks, just another internet hoax doing the rounds.
Agreed but let's not let the truth get in the way of a good story. Far from trying to ban classic cars the DfT have now exempt any car manufactured before 1960 from requiring an MOT test and track cars are exempt from some of the latest MOT requirements if and when they ever get added to the test.
As for testing trailers, sounds like a good idea to me and if we had trailer registration as in some parts of the EU it may cut down a lot of theft.
Old 21 Nov 2012, 23:14 (Ref:3169617)   #23
Bucky.
Rookie

United Kingdom
Gtr. Manchester
Bucky. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hoax or not, I've signed.
Don't want the gov don't getting any ideas.
Old 22 Nov 2012, 08:28 (Ref:3169717)   #24
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah, then what you've done is alert the Government to the scale of the "problem". Multiply the number of signatures by what they think they can get away with as tax, gives the amount of potential MP bonus pot for next year

Free marketing survey!
Old 5 Jan 2013, 06:39 (Ref:3184971)   #25
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I glimpsed a headline in wednesday's Classic Car Weekly suggesting a visctory for common sense so checked out the FBHVC website. Their news page carries a statement confirming that some good work has and is still being done on our behalf! Here's hoping.