Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 Oct 2004, 14:10 (Ref:1122198)   #1
Little Minx
Rookie

Little Minx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jason Plato

I'm new to this. Where can I find gossip, news, more details about JP? Where does he "winter"? Does anyone know him/met him? Is he really the nice bloke he comes across as on TV??
Old 12 Oct 2004, 18:40 (Ref:1122474)   #2
Sarah W
Rookie

Sarah W should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
seatsportuk
Old 12 Oct 2004, 18:53 (Ref:1122490)   #3
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to be a Jason Plato fan, until his PR girl introduced me to him.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 19:15 (Ref:1122515)   #4
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That warrants a follow up question...

What made you change?
Old 12 Oct 2004, 20:00 (Ref:1122560)   #5
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a moment of clarity.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 20:41 (Ref:1122585)   #6
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just in case it becomes a JP bash, remember that he's a character, he's not everyone's (including certain drivers) cup of tea, but he's offered at lot in the BTCC, especially in 2004.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 22:46 (Ref:1122705)   #7
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are looking for a referee for Jason, speak to John Cleland: at Bathurst last weekend JP had an off, damaged the car & in limping back to the Pits failed to keep to the side of the track, Cleland made an overtaking move in Caltex Chase, could not see JP so hit him rolling his Falcon in the process. Plato's car was finished for the day. In my book Plato was 100% in the wrong & the lovable Scot was the victim of poor track craft.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 07:04 (Ref:1122922)   #8
The Bear
Rookie

The Bear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My opinion of Jason went downhill fast when I read an interview where he said that most people in UK would only be able to name two British racing drivers, David Coulthard and Jason Plato!
Old 13 Oct 2004, 15:12 (Ref:1123336)   #9
Little Minx
Rookie

Little Minx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh dear - not very positive feedback. But thanks.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 15:31 (Ref:1123358)   #10
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He's a very good touring car driver, but one can't help thinking his ego may have caused Seat UK some problems in designing a big enough door on that Toledo...

And if cavvy's report from Bathurst is true, one might surmise that ego may have begun to cloud old Jase's judgement on track too. Mind you, Cleland ain't exactly a paid up member of RoSPA...
Old 13 Oct 2004, 15:59 (Ref:1123393)   #11
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Ian Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
He's a very good touring car driver, but one can't help thinking his ego may have caused Seat UK some problems in designing a big enough door on that Toledo...

And if cavvy's report from Bathurst is true, one might surmise that ego may have begun to cloud old Jase's judgement on track too. Mind you, Cleland ain't exactly a paid up member of RoSPA...
Could'nt have put it better myself!!

Ian
Old 13 Oct 2004, 16:05 (Ref:1123404)   #12
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jason is a great guy and a very talented driver. I have supported him for a few years but didn't get to meet him until 2002. His comments may come across as arrogant (have you considered they may have been taken out of context) but that isn't Jason. Whenever he sees me he acknowledges me, when time allows he stops for a chat and he often invites us in for a coffee in hospitality. I haven't seen him refuse autographs or not talk to someone unless he has to go and do something. You have to remember that a race meeting is work, Jason therefore has pressures on his time which mean that he may not be able to stop. Everyone is entilited to their opinion on him and mine is that is he has a personality and he shows it, I find it very refreshing that he says how it is, sometimes all these PR monkeys get a bit boring. I'm pleased he is back and doing so well, I'm putting money on him and Seat being the 2005 champions.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 18:53 (Ref:1123541)   #13
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Claire
Jason is a great guy and a very talented driver. I have supported him for a few years but didn't get to meet him until 2002. His comments may come across as arrogant (have you considered they may have been taken out of context) but that isn't Jason. Whenever he sees me he acknowledges me, when time allows he stops for a chat and he often invites us in for a coffee in hospitality. I haven't seen him refuse autographs or not talk to someone unless he has to go and do something. You have to remember that a race meeting is work, Jason therefore has pressures on his time which mean that he may not be able to stop. Everyone is entilited to their opinion on him and mine is that is he has a personality and he shows it, I find it very refreshing that he says how it is, sometimes all these PR monkeys get a bit boring. I'm pleased he is back and doing so well, I'm putting money on him and Seat being the 2005 champions.
yes i agree jason is a nice guy i spoke to him at rockingham for the D.O.T and he was really a nice guy, but everyone is entitled to there opinions.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 09:29 (Ref:1124049)   #14
KPC
Racer

England
Well below that pie in the sky
KPC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Claire
(have you considered they may have been taken out of context)
This is a very good point. I'm not saying JP is a good or bad bloke, I don't know him and he is certainly TV presenter slick these days, so we don't get raw, empassioned driver comments after an incident. But if you're any judge of character you can usually tell who's a slime bucket and who's okay. JP always seems reasonable enough and fair, and at the moment is enjoying the sport, not just seeing it as a job. He's had he's bad moments, in 2001 he went a bit ballistic and possibly lost out on a drive in 2002 as a result? History.

I always think the best way to get an idea of a driver's personality is to watch them during the pitlane walkabouts. I watch people for a living and it's hard to ever switch off. For example, I sat on the wall opposite the VXR pit at the last Brands outing and watched Thommo and Muller. Thommo actually seemed to be, if not enjoying it, then getting on with it and making the most of it. He thanked every last person that went to him, posed for photos, chatted and had a genuine subconsious grin most of the time. Muller sat next to him, face like thunder, barely acknowledging anyone and then looking down on the great unwashed as if they were something he'd troden in. Now, you may say this is a one-off and that Thommo was having a good day and Muller a bad. Answer: do it a few times at different tracks and the same patterns will emerge. Muller Thommo: angel: Plato: confused: Hairuman

Last edited by KPC; 14 Oct 2004 at 09:38.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 10:09 (Ref:1124079)   #15
KPC
Racer

England
Forgot to add: I always remember the Donnington interview at the meeting after JP and Muller's clash at Silverstone, when they were asked if they were buddy buddy and what the mood in the camp was? Plato says, "Silverstone has gone. This is Donnington," or words to that effect. Muller goes into his usual long moaning spiel about how terrible JP is yardy yardy yardy.

Even Thommo had seemed to join the Muller Bashing Club along with Reidy and JP by the end of this season. Anyone in that club is okay in my books.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 10:34 (Ref:1124114)   #16
ettore
Rookie

ettore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I`ve met Jason a couple of times and he`s a pretty straightforward and decent chap. You must remember that he has a sense of humour and much of what he says and does is with his tongue firmly wedged in his cheek!
Old 14 Oct 2004, 10:42 (Ref:1124122)   #17
KPC
Racer

England
That said, the Coulthard/Plato comment sounds tongue in cheek I would have to say, JP does not come across as that much of an egotist as a rule, it doesn't fit.

I think the worse case of that I remember, which is a shame cause I generally like the bloke, was when Menu won the championship in 97 and says he beat all the past champions, so he's the champion of champions. DEARY ME. If that was me I'd be back in my trailer thinking, I can't believe I said that, I hope it doesn't get aired.

Last edited by KPC; 14 Oct 2004 at 10:44.
Old 16 Oct 2004, 12:21 (Ref:1125922)   #18
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by KPC
Even Thommo had seemed to join the Muller Bashing Club along with Reidy and JP by the end of this season. Anyone in that club is okay in my books.
Old 17 Oct 2004, 07:02 (Ref:1126467)   #19
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing I'll provide without comment, officials were sufficiently unimpressed with his contribution to the Cleland incident at Bathurst that $10,000 fine waslevied against Plato.
Old 17 Oct 2004, 07:09 (Ref:1126472)   #20
KPC
Racer

England
I've laways thought he was innocent of the Muller charges at Silverstone in 2001. However, the Bennett/marshall post incident at Snetterton could have been nasty.
Old 2 Nov 2004, 06:13 (Ref:1142599)   #21
Crowestar
Racer

Australia
Crowestar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Falcadore
One thing I'll provide without comment, officials were sufficiently unimpressed with his contribution to the Cleland incident at Bathurst that $10,000 fine waslevied against Plato.
Half of the fine was paid by Mark Skaife!!!

Although we haven't had much to do with the guy in Australia, he seems to be a kind and an all round nice guy on tele. Although he sounds like he is in a similar mould to Skaife. BTW I've had no problem with Skaife when I have met him as he is always friendly to me.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 07:48 (Ref:1153705)   #22
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, if you are in the UK, you can see him as part of the Fifth Gear team every Monday at 8:30 pm on Channel 5.

Last edited by Vicki; 15 Nov 2004 at 07:49.