Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Closed Thread

Old 3 Jul 2001, 20:35 (Ref:112641)   #1
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stirling Moss

Help.....

I have a friend in Cuba who adores Stirling Moss and Fangio, he actually thought Stirling died a few years ago. He is desperate for any photo's or anything to do with Stirling or Fangio.

If you have any old photo's of the men in action or at rest and don't mind donating them please PM me so I can deliver them to him. I will pay postage. He would also like any 1950's 1960's photo's of sports cars or magazines.

It is very hard for him to obtain these things locally but he is a true racing fan who managed to blag his way into the actual hotel room for me that Fangio was held hostage so I could take a few photo's.

Simon
Old 3 Jul 2001, 21:18 (Ref:112674)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
C'mon guys let's see if we can help here.
Old 4 Jul 2001, 07:04 (Ref:112824)   #3
Darren Galpin
Racer

Darren Galpin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/drivers/mossstir.jpg
Old 4 Jul 2001, 07:05 (Ref:112825)   #4
Darren Galpin
Racer

Darren Galpin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/drivers/fangio.jpg
Old 4 Jul 2001, 09:58 (Ref:112861)   #5
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a gallery on Stirling's own site too, at www.stirlingmoss.com with the C-Type Jag featuring on the home page...
Old 4 Jul 2001, 20:43 (Ref:113107)   #6
SL
Veteran

Thanks for the links, however I was looking for good old fashion photographs. They seem so much better than a printed A4 sheet.

I'm hoping to get something at Goodwood on Friday as well.

Simon
Old 4 Jul 2001, 23:01 (Ref:113159)   #7
Ray Bell
Veteran

Wonder what Stirling would do if you contacted him via his site?

And where is his number one fan, the Wolf?
Old 12 Jul 2001, 22:35 (Ref:116346)   #8
SL
Veteran

Just to cap this thread off with a tribute to Sir Stirling Moss.

After failing to see him at Goodwood, I e mailed his site only to receive a 'standard' e mail to send postal mail to xxxxxx and expect to wait several weeks for reply.

Duly sending off my programme of the 1957 GP Havana on Monday expecting to receive somthing back in September I was most impressed to have the envelope land on my doormat this morning, not only programme signed but a photo as well, in real ink by the man himself. I doubt that he will see this but it is easy to understand why Stirling is so popular.

Thank you sir, your actions will make one Cuban racing fan very very happy.

Simon

PS Stirling if you do read this, just log on, I'm sure there are many who would welcome you !!
Old 12 Jul 2001, 23:18 (Ref:116362)   #9
Ray Bell
Veteran

My wondering was not in vain, I was fairly sure you would get a good response... he is acutely aware of his public image.

Well done Stirl, and yes, let's see if we can get him on here occasionally.... would sure please the Wolf...
Old 21 Jul 2001, 05:06 (Ref:119850)   #10
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
SL (or anyone else), What is the story behind the reference you made to the hotel room where Fangio was held hostage?
Old 21 Jul 2001, 10:32 (Ref:119896)   #11
SL
Veteran

Before the 1958 GP in Havana Fangio was kidnapped by rebels fighting for Castro's cause. He was held hostage in a Hotel room in Havana for 3 days. The room has been kept exactly as it was at the time except for several pictures of Fangio on the walls and some raceing bits & pieces.

In Fangio's absence the race was won by Stirling Moss who passed a slowing Maston Gregory in the final 500m when the crowd invaded the track. Fregory was going to appeal but as Stirling pointed out if there was any delay in getting the prize money chances were that neither would see the cash as the Goverment was about to fall. Moss proposed 50/50 first & second prize which Gregory accepted.

I am just about to leave home for Cuba otherwise I would dig out the photo's.

Simon
Old 21 Jul 2001, 13:58 (Ref:119961)   #12
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Vives en Cuba? Pense' que eres viviendo en Crawley, Englaterra.
Finalemente, que passo con Sr.Fangio despues los tres dias, y quien pago la plata?(ransom, I'm presuming there was one) Una historia muy extrano cierto!

Diga "hola" al viejito con la barba y la ropa verde de nosotros aqui en 10/10ths.

Last edited by djb; 21 Jul 2001 at 14:00.
Old 26 Jul 2001, 10:21 (Ref:121977)   #13
SL
Veteran

I live in Crawley but travel to Cuba for work.

I don't think there was a ransom as it was a political kidnapping. It was also said that the race winner would be killed by the revolutionary forces.

Also today (26 July) is the day Castro's invasion started. There is a huge parade planned 1.25 million people marching along the seafront.

Simon
Closed Thread