Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Jun 2009, 07:23 (Ref:2485010)   #1
eltong
Rookie

New Zealand
Back home in NZ!!!!
eltong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking for a F3 Screamer

I am looking for a F3-1000cc but there doesn't seem to be much out there in the normal racecar sales websites.

So if anyone knows of one for sale in any condition please could you let me know elton@eltongoonan.com

Thanks for any help in advance,
Elton
Old 17 Jun 2009, 11:24 (Ref:2485128)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eltong,you should have an e-mail.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 13:32 (Ref:2485211)   #3
NHSL
Rookie

NHSL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you go to:

www.1000ccf3historicracingassociation.org.uk

then there is a "cars for sale" section and quite a reasonable choice at the moment. Sounds like you are heading for Monaco then?
Old 17 Jun 2009, 15:14 (Ref:2485260)   #4
Finn
Racer

Finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some on here:

http://www.historicracing.org.uk/racecars4sale/f3.html

Also two on HSCC website including a tecno thats seems quite reasonable but needs proper engine.

Might be worth you popping to Brands on the 4th as I hear there are quite a few cars turning out.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 06:54 (Ref:2485691)   #5
eltong
Rookie

New Zealand
Back home in NZ!!!!
Been looking at those site but a lot of the cars are already sold but they haven't been removed which isn't helpful.

Wish I could get to Brands but I'm living in Sweden at the moment and we have a Historic meet at Ring Knutstorp the same weekend.

My plan was to run in in the Euro 1000cc series and maybe do some UK races but was read through their website last night and saw the Monaco news so that would be an added bonus but I'm running a track in Sweden at the moment and we have a big race weekend provisionally booked for the same weekend as Monaco so I'll have to wait and see!

Anyone know where/who could help me out with a rough idea on what it would cost to convert the Tecno that is on HSCC back to 1000cc spec, i.e. engine, manifolds, etc?
Old 18 Jun 2009, 07:36 (Ref:2485714)   #6
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you will be looking at something in the region of 10 15k if starting from scratch.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 10:15 (Ref:2485822)   #7
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Decent screamer will be at least £10k if not more. Gearbox wont be much just a conversion to 4 speed if it currently has 5 plus you would have to change the diff to a free one if it has lsd. I would think £3k to do this. As TB says 10-15k to get anywhere near plus the cost of the car, say £10k all adds up to £25k which is quite alot. You would be better buying this which would be similar money and ready to go and a better car.

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/...hp/carno/43305
Old 18 Jun 2009, 12:13 (Ref:2485872)   #8
eltong
Rookie

New Zealand
Back home in NZ!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Murray View Post
Decent screamer will be at least £10k if not more. Gearbox wont be much just a conversion to 4 speed if it currently has 5 plus you would have to change the diff to a free one if it has lsd. I would think £3k to do this. As TB says 10-15k to get anywhere near plus the cost of the car, say £10k all adds up to £25k which is quite alot. You would be better buying this which would be similar money and ready to go and a better car.

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/...hp/carno/43305
= 60000€
Old 18 Jun 2009, 12:53 (Ref:2485893)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
So a totally imaculate B21 thats completely race ready is not so expensive then?
Old 18 Jun 2009, 13:06 (Ref:2485903)   #10
Robert_R
Rookie

Robert_R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
So a totally imaculate B21 thats completely race ready is not so expensive then?
From my own experience: buying a 'completely race-ready' Screamer, no matter how nice it looks on the pics, is an illusion. Of course it makes sense to buy a decent and complete car, but a good amount of sorting out (and investing time and money) will certainly be needed after the puchase.

But I guess that's more or less true for all racing cars, no matter which class.

Robert
Old 18 Jun 2009, 13:25 (Ref:2485910)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Yes,I take your point but it largely depends on who is selling the car.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 14:15 (Ref:2485933)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
all race ready cars normally need a load of work on them!!
Old 18 Jun 2009, 19:36 (Ref:2486072)   #13
James Murray
Racer

Where did the 60000 euro come from, last time I looked it was half that. Maybe the Monaco invitation has doubled the price..........
Old 23 Jun 2009, 21:36 (Ref:2489387)   #14
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i have 1970 tecno for sale needs mae and away ya go
why buy a car just for monaco at ist 3800 euro entry fee just to apply and then get refused
race car is for life not just monaco every 3 or 4 years!
Old 24 Jun 2009, 07:00 (Ref:2489540)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
i have 1970 tecno for sale needs mae and away ya go
why buy a car just for monaco at ist 3800 euro entry fee just to apply and then get refused
race car is for life not just monaco every 3 or 4 years!
nice call Driftwood.... never buy a car for an event - it will always lead to disappointment or poverty ;o)
Old 24 Jun 2009, 07:21 (Ref:2489548)   #16
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I agree on those points,funny how just one event can start moving prices upwards,I see there is another BT21 for sale in Europe,at 65,000Eur!
Old 24 Jun 2009, 07:59 (Ref:2489564)   #17
eltong
Rookie

New Zealand
Back home in NZ!!!!
Thats for sure!!!

I've been in no rush to buy a car and have been keeping my eyes opening for a while and it has been suprising how much the value of the cars has increased over the past 6-8 weeks.

Monaco would be a great bonus but only that, a bonus.

My plan is the Euro series so I can get to drive at some great tracks again and against, hopefully, other drivers with the same idea and enjoy some great racing! Then enjoy a couple of beers and a laugh afterwards!
Old 24 Jun 2009, 08:07 (Ref:2489569)   #18
simon drabble
Veteran

am I not right in thinking that the problem with the series in period was the running costs of keeping a screamer going..... in which case it does seem crazy for them to be commanding FJ prices - no matter how pretty some of them are!
Old 24 Jun 2009, 08:19 (Ref:2489577)   #19
James Murray
Racer

Think engine prices are similar to junior provided they're not revved to 11k or something daft. If the series gathers momentum people with plenty of dollar will come in and use the big rev and ruin it for everyone else possibly. Not like it hasnt happened before.

Eltong maybe you should consider a Formula Junior. Plenty of cars to choose from, always full grids, Euro and UK series etc. The Euro F3 barely get 10 cars at most of their races.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 16:54 (Ref:2489904)   #20
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
am I not right in thinking that the problem with the series in period was the running costs of keeping a screamer going..... in which case it does seem crazy for them to be commanding FJ prices - no matter how pretty some of them are!
I ran MAE engined cars for three years in the late seventies. The key to reliability is preventitive maintenance. I did 17 races in 1979 with 100% reliability (I had the engine freshened part way through the season, I think it produced 117bhp on Geoff Richardson's dyno). I used to use 10,200 revs, and they had to be warmed up at 3000 revs. The problem with trying to restrict revs on an MAE is that there is no power at all below 7500, and you've only got a four speed box, so restricting your maximum revs greatly restricts your "power window".

Having said that, they are wonderful engines, and in the days before silencers, half a dozen of them warming up in close proximity in the paddock had to be felt to be believed - you literally couldn't hear yourself think!

A couple of years ago a very original-looking ex Francois Cevert Tecno was going for £17500 - I wonder what it would be worth now...
Old 24 Jun 2009, 19:10 (Ref:2489997)   #21
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Glad you managed to say all that Alan i was going to post that the motors can be tempremental and need $$ time spent on them to keep them honest

i doubt big $$ owners will come into 1 litre F3 the little motor will not carry the weight well!
so who is up for my Tecno Murray sit down you can only have it if you take the Chevron! and its not BOG off deal either!
Old 25 Jun 2009, 07:35 (Ref:2490256)   #22
eltong
Rookie

New Zealand
Back home in NZ!!!!
Hi Driftwood,

PM'd you yesterday with my email. Can you send me some info on the Tecno?
Old 25 Jun 2009, 17:19 (Ref:2490562)   #23
NHSL
Rookie

NHSL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not every 1 litre F3 car runs an MAE "screamer".... I run a BMC XSP "droner" in my car (a one off device called the Barnett) on the basis that if it was good enough for Jackie Stewart it should be vaguely OK for me.

If anybody can point me in the direction of someone else who is running a dry sumped BMC XSP engine I would be very grateful as I want to make sure my oil system is correctly plumbed.

It will be at Brands next weekend for the big 1 litre F3 turnout, hopefully on track.

Here is a question for all the engine experts:

The oil that escapes through the pressure relief valve on a dry sump engine should go where?

A - Back to the sump?
B - Back to the oil tank?
C - Back to the pressure pump inlet side?

Answers on a post please
Old 25 Jun 2009, 18:13 (Ref:2490587)   #24
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't help you with your plumbing conundrum (Delta might if he sees this) but there should be a Cooper at the Superprix with, I think, an XSP engine. I had a chat with the owner at the FJ lunch last year. He lives in Claygate, and I seem to recall that he has some historical connection with his car.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 18:09 (Ref:2501751)   #25
A Driver
Rookie

England
Ashwicken
A Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to whet your appettite, a few pics from Brands Hatch last week.
Attached Thumbnails
P1020515.JPG   P1020517.JPG   P1020528.JPG  

P1020531.JPG   P1020534.JPG