Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Jul 2009, 15:21 (Ref:2494541)   #1
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Festival of Speed 2009

Is anyone going to FOS this weekend?
Old 1 Jul 2009, 15:35 (Ref:2494547)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Clearly I'm not, but if I can ask a question, Is it really a historic event or is it simply a mobile museum for all ages of vehicle?
Old 1 Jul 2009, 15:54 (Ref:2494554)   #3
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Definitely not my cup of tea.
Old 1 Jul 2009, 16:08 (Ref:2494565)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definately not,yes its a good show,but not for me.
Old 1 Jul 2009, 17:46 (Ref:2494626)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd go if I could simply because it is good fun.
Old 1 Jul 2009, 19:28 (Ref:2494668)   #6
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am surprised this thread has taken so long to get started and yes I am going on Saturday. I have any been once before the year of the first city riots - I only know that as I went on the Friday and fortunately missed the rioters attack the building I work in! I recall it as being a great day out
I am meeting up with one ten-tenther if there are any others I would be happy to meet and have a chat about Spa and B's ;o)
Old 1 Jul 2009, 20:00 (Ref:2494688)   #7
ads274
Rookie

ads274 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm there all weekend, one of the highlights of the year in my opinion. Has something for everyone and always has a few extremely rare vehicles that you wouldn't usually get to see, especially actually driven in anger. Gets very busy of course but there are quiet areas where you can go to relax when you need a break. Unmissable in my opinion, plus the weather is set to be great!
Old 1 Jul 2009, 20:10 (Ref:2494698)   #8
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Went two or three times ten years ago.It's interesting,even had a car their.Stayed the whole weekend.It's known by many as the Festival of Greed but I am sure that is unfair.
Old 1 Jul 2009, 20:18 (Ref:2494708)   #9
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have been for the past 4 years , with last year being the best as we had a car going up the hill (labatts RS500) and all the free bees that go with it ,champers and meeting steve soper ,mick doohan, and others in the vip dining area .this year i'm going to give it a miss as i think it maybe a bit of a downgrade to be just in the crowd....:-(
next year i'll be back as a big austrian bloke once said ...
Old 1 Jul 2009, 20:27 (Ref:2494713)   #10
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Is it a Grand donation/entry fee a car for the FOS as with Revival and notice they are still selling tickets?
Lets hope we are all watching Andy Murray on Sunday afternoon making history rather than a replay between the straw bales
Old 2 Jul 2009, 02:49 (Ref:2494828)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Murray on TV or Castrol R up the nose? Tricky.........................
Old 2 Jul 2009, 06:08 (Ref:2494849)   #12
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

No contest,I'm with the Jock.
Old 2 Jul 2009, 06:54 (Ref:2494856)   #13
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
No contest,I'm with the Jock.
reluctantly I think we all are.... clearly he will be British if he wins!
Old 2 Jul 2009, 07:27 (Ref:2494875)   #14
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Final will be good as can't see him beating that Swiss bloke.
Old 2 Jul 2009, 07:34 (Ref:2494880)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
He's beaten him before though. However If I had the choice it would be Woodgood.
Old 2 Jul 2009, 07:49 (Ref:2494887)   #16
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Clearly I'm not, but if I can ask a question, Is it really a historic event or is it simply a mobile museum for all ages of vehicle?
What nonsense.

Anyone who loves cars and has petrol in their veins would love the Festival of Speed.

There is more history in the paddock at FOS than at most "historic" race meetings.
Old 2 Jul 2009, 07:52 (Ref:2494888)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
If as you are clearly the expert in all things motoring, I wrote nonsense I apologise sincerly.

However I just thought it was a good question. Still I know my place now.
Old 2 Jul 2009, 09:37 (Ref:2494932)   #18
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a mere spectator it's the highlight of my motor sport year. It's a chance to see iconic cars close up and on the hill.

Shame the SuperPrix is on the same weekend as I would like to do both but the FoS wins every time.

Old 2 Jul 2009, 10:04 (Ref:2494943)   #19
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

There is an occasional time I agree with Mr M and this is one of them,it was a reasonable question and there are two camps of thought.The Goodwood groupies and the antis that accept it is a well organised,superbly staged as a theme park featuring old bangers that does very little for Historic racing and is an extremely effective way to make money and a brilliant idea from Robert Brooks
FOS usually clashes with Le Mans Classic which is a superior event in every way.
FOS is a procession of Historic old cars driven by drivers from posers to real drivers up an iffy hill where it is difficult to see anything.Try Prescot if you want a spectacle for a real motoring event.

Over to the fan club

Petrol in veins etc.condescending rubbish.

Weathers not very good here
Old 2 Jul 2009, 10:12 (Ref:2494946)   #20
Alan Brown
Racer

Alan Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
What nonsense.

Anyone who loves cars and has petrol in their veins would love the Festival of Speed.

There is more history in the paddock at FOS than at most "historic" race meetings.
Agree entirely. A petrolhead's dream. Such variety. Victorian/Edwardian to C21st and two/three/four wheels (and six at times). The downsides are cost and crowds.
Old 2 Jul 2009, 10:18 (Ref:2494949)   #21
Alan Brown
Racer

Alan Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
As a mere spectator it's the highlight of my motor sport year. It's a chance to see iconic cars close up and on the hill.

Shame the SuperPrix is on the same weekend as I would like to do both but the FoS wins every time.

Agreed. I have had to compromise this year - Fri and Sun at FOS and Sat at BH.

PS What a rich variety of meetings there are this weekend - Ipswich, Snetterton, Silverstone, Donington, Lydden, Mallory Park as well as Brands Hatch and Goodwood
Old 2 Jul 2009, 10:35 (Ref:2494954)   #22
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I must confess that I never thought that I'd be agreeing with both Peter M and John R at the same time, but for me, great though all the cars and personalities are, I have had no real desire to return to this event (I went a couple of times in the 90's). If it were not for the fact that I'm otherwise engaged this weekend, the Brands Superprix would win hands down on a choice between the two events but I don't think anyone could say that I'm neither interested in the history of the sport, nor a petrolhead!
Old 2 Jul 2009, 11:55 (Ref:2494989)   #23
Blue Oval Boy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Blue Oval Country (Essex)
Blue Oval Boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there all 3 days, looking after the RS200 on the rally stage and a few drives in the Nissan 240RS on the stage.

I have a great time each year, the level of enthusiaism for the RS200 is amazing. If you are going, come and say Hi, if not enjoy the other race meets, or the tennis. If it floats your boat, do it!!!!!
Old 2 Jul 2009, 12:04 (Ref:2494993)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Welcome Blue Oval Boy.

The rS200 provided the basis for the failed Ford Group C project. A shame Ford didn't continue its development.
Old 2 Jul 2009, 12:25 (Ref:2495006)   #25
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Oval Boy View Post
I'll be there all 3 days, looking after the RS200 on the rally stage and a few drives in the Nissan 240RS on the stage.

I have a great time each year, the level of enthusiaism for the RS200 is amazing. If you are going, come and say Hi, if not enjoy the other race meets, or the tennis. If it floats your boat, do it!!!!!
I'm sharing the drive on the rally stage in the ex-works Mini Cooper so will come and say hi.