Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 12 Apr 2005, 01:32 (Ref:1275955)   #1
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
ALMS Rnd 2: Road Atlanta 15-17 Apr 2005

Busy weekend for sportscars! Daily Sports Car has the surprising news that the van der Steur's have put the four pot turbo AER in their Lola B2K/40, replacing the Nissan V6. While I don't see a lot of hope against the mighty looking Lola B05/40 of Intersport, or the well proven B2K/40Judd come to that, it is nice to have them not only filling out the field but upping their ante a bit. I assume the money on this upgrade implies they are in for a while, good for them!

The real excitment this weekend is going to be seeing what the Courage Mazda is going to do. I can't wait.

Also interesting to see if Road Atlanta is going to prove more comfortable for the Maserati then Sebring was, but I still think it will be a Corvette walk.

At the sharp end, I see nothing but the James and Butch and the little 16 Lola, since I am nothing but a hopeless romantic at heart

Wish I was going to be there instead of working....!

robert
Old 13 Apr 2005, 02:36 (Ref:1276785)   #2
CorvetteC6R
Rookie

CorvetteC6R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cannot wait to see the Courage Mazda in the mix! I think this could be Dysons weekend to win..I mean they made it a long way in Sebring, plus not many pit stop problems like before...And lets not forget the rubber they are running now!

Corvette walk...I dunno..The Saleen has Michys too this year and were running pretty good at sebring..I am actually rooting for (partly) the pacific coast guys in the C5R!

Should be a great race!
Old 13 Apr 2005, 02:42 (Ref:1276788)   #3
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure if i missed something but where is the Riley and Scott MK3? Was this entry a 1 race deal only? Tim, if ur out there do u have any further news regarding this entry? Its a shame IMO that the car isnt on the entry list as it did show a decent turn of speed at Sebring IMO, at least in qualifying.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 03:09 (Ref:1276795)   #4
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I don't remember where, but I read that Autocon would do Sebring and then not appear again until later in season, or even as late as Petite. Real shame, that is a great car for the fans, and they put a huge amount of effort into rebuild after shunt at Petite last year.

robert.

Last edited by skycafe; 13 Apr 2005 at 03:10.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 03:11 (Ref:1276796)   #5
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah well, shame. Thanks for the info Skycafe much appricated.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 03:17 (Ref:1276798)   #6
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
No problem, if I can remember where I read that, I will let you know. I think it was on Mulsannes Corner possibly, where mention also of the Riley's looking the car over after all the repairs and being very impressed with the work done.

robert
Old 13 Apr 2005, 03:41 (Ref:1276805)   #7
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am also looking forward to seeing the Courage-Mazda. Hopefully they have tested it somewhat.

The Dyson vs. Champion battle should be red hot at this track. These four cars should be at it hot and heavy for the 2 hours and 45 minutes.

The Risi Maserati gets a weight break for this race, hopefully they'll keep the Vettes honest along with ACEMCO.

As for GT2, look out PWL, AJR are going to bring it. I also hope to see the Panoz cars step it up another notch.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 06:04 (Ref:1276851)   #8
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe
No problem, if I can remember where I read that, I will let you know. I think it was on Mulsannes Corner possibly, where mention also of the Riley's looking the car over after all the repairs and being very impressed with the work done.

robert

Could it been have been this from DSC?

Michael Lewis: “We had a small shifter issue in the afternoon session and we’re learning fast about the Dunlops. We’re finding more speed all the time and I’m pretty pleased with our progress.

“The team has done a fabulous job after the Petit crash, in fact at ‘tech’ the guys said they couldn’t find where the damage had been.

“We’ll definitely do Petit Le Mans and Laguna this season and Road Atlanta is a possibility too but a full season is really not possible.”
Old 14 Apr 2005, 02:59 (Ref:1277706)   #9
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
Could it been have been this from DSC?
May very well have been from DSC, and I would be a very happy customer of that website indeed.

I do think the info about the Riley's looking the car over came from somewhere else, but with my raging senility, who the heck knows?
At least I am able to misspend this version of my youth as much as I did the last by being a sports car nut!

robert
Old 14 Apr 2005, 04:39 (Ref:1277728)   #10
jslone
Racer

United States
Gaithersburg Maryland
jslone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any tv times on Speed for the race?
The forums head dirtbag and headhog
Old 14 Apr 2005, 04:48 (Ref:1277729)   #11
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the race is being broadcast on CBS from 1-3 on Sunday April 17th
Old 15 Apr 2005, 09:14 (Ref:1278693)   #12
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Today on www.dailysportscar.com they are reporting that there is very very signifcant news to be announced at Road Atlanta later today, anyone know what this could be? A announcement on the Porsche LMP 2 perhaps?
Old 15 Apr 2005, 09:47 (Ref:1278724)   #13
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Cant see that article Saleen - have they removed it?
Old 15 Apr 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1278728)   #14
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
Cant see that article Saleen - have they removed it?
Nor do I but what I do see is the article suggesting Derek Bell's new GT1 project is more likely to involve DBR9's rather than C.6R's.....

Last edited by Bentley03; 15 Apr 2005 at 09:54.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 09:56 (Ref:1278729)   #15
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Sorry the piece of news Im reffering to is in the LMES Spa 1000km Friday morning 10am article.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 12:41 (Ref:1278851)   #16
aeroehl
Racer

United States
aeroehl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rumor is Bobby Rahal Jr. in a Lister GT1.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 12:54 (Ref:1278859)   #17
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think its a Title Sponsor for the ALMS. Miracle Motorsports hinted about it a few days ago. its one of their sponsors...

or, maybe it could be a car manufactuer.. who knows.. press conference is in 1 hr!
Old 15 Apr 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1278892)   #18
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
It is said that the Courage Mazda had a first engine failure... any confirmation ?
Old 15 Apr 2005, 14:08 (Ref:1278901)   #19
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche and Penske

It's Porsche and Penske! Go look at http://www.americanlemans.com ....
Old 15 Apr 2005, 14:14 (Ref:1278911)   #20
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Porsche announcement has been made, there will be another announcement this afternoon is what I'm hearing.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Apr 2005, 15:08 (Ref:1278971)   #21
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Fantastic news regarding the Porsche! I wonder what Mr Penske has to say though regarding the entry, and is he being comissioned by Porsche to race the cars, or is he doing it off his own back with Porsche works support? - Personally Im hoping the latter, and to think the Penske workshop and base is just 2 miles down the road from me.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 20:08 (Ref:1279170)   #22
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The first practice session is over. Nice to see the Panoz on top of the GT2 time sheets. The fastest times for each class are as follows:

P1: 1:11.786 - JJ Lehto, ADT Champion Racing, Audi R8
P2: 1:13.874 - Jon Field, Telesis Intersport Racing, Lola B05/40-AER
GT1: 1:17.591 - Olivier Beretta, Corvette Racing, Corvette C6R
GT2: 1:22.403 - Bill Auberlen, Panoz Motorsports, Panoz Esperante GTLM

http://www.americanlemans.com/result...%20testing.PDF
Old 15 Apr 2005, 20:21 (Ref:1279181)   #23
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
... and to think the Penske workshop and base is just 2 miles down the road from me.
Chris, go check to see if that's where they're being built!
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Apr 2005, 20:30 (Ref:1279188)   #24
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
I might well do that, but are they likely to tell me? Im not sure id know exactly what to say. But if anyone can think of something intelligent I can always commit it to memory and go along to Penske and ask. Slightly off topic, but my old boss, his daughter was Mr Penske's PA, not sure if she still is but ill see what i can find out. Im sure my ex boss woudnt mind asking her for me some time if he gets some spare time.
Old 16 Apr 2005, 19:53 (Ref:1279770)   #25
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Class pole times from Road Atlanta:

P1: 1:11.241 - James Weaver, Dyson Racing, Lola EX257-AER
P2: 1:12.678 - Jon Field, Telesis Intersport Racing, Lola B05/40-AER
GT1: 1:17.034 - Johnny O`Connell, Corvette Racing, Corvette C6R
GT2: 1:21.647 - Bill Auberlen, Panoz Motosports, Panoz Esperante GTLM

Lap records for P2, GT1 and GT2. Way to go James Weaver and way to Bill Auberlen and Panoz! Very tight grids.