Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 28 Feb 2008, 19:26 (Ref:2140274)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Forsythe are out.

Quote:
“Forsythe Championship Racing is announcing today the cessation of its racing operations. After 13 years of competition in CART and the Champ Car World Series, the team has been unable to secure the necessary sponsorship to be able to compete in the Indy Racing League IndyCar Series in 2008. Forsythe Racing Inc., the parent company of FCR, will participate in the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach, the Champ Car finale, with drivers to be announced.”
http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html...icle&sid=77939

Quote:
“I want to be part of this new league, I want to run at Indianapolis again and I want to stay in open wheel racing,” said Tracy...
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...in-the-market/

A great shame.

Last edited by Down F0rce; 28 Feb 2008 at 19:28.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 19:28 (Ref:2140277)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have to say I am surprised that he's pulled the plug.

But perhaps even the golden handshake from Tony wasn't enough to get by. Probably doesn't think it's worth funding his team again for another season now that ChampCar is officially finished.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 19:47 (Ref:2140289)   #3
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember a statement from someone years ago that stuck with me, "Forsythe would torch his cars and everything rather go to the irl". I also heard a rumor Forsythe goes out of his way to avoid doing business with banks and other business that do such with the hulman george family.

I'm not surprised he's gone. It's unfortunate for those now affected by the decision.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 19:47 (Ref:2140290)   #4
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a shame I would think not having to run a series and finance it would allow Forthsye to be more competitive.

So where's Paul Tracy going to end up? What realistic open seats are there for him.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 19:55 (Ref:2140297)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Seems very Gerry Forsythe this. Ta ra then.

So, what of PT? A shame for him to lose out as an upshot of this stupid, snap decision. I mean, I know I said PT should perhaps retire, but the guy had a contract to race!
Old 28 Feb 2008, 20:05 (Ref:2140301)   #6
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Back to Penske!

Or maybe 'Team Green'.

Or NASCAR again probably.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 20:08 (Ref:2140309)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
NASCAR, no way. He can't do it. He wants to remain in Indycar anyways.

Maybe he can replace Milka Duno.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 20:13 (Ref:2140314)   #8
lnin0
Rookie

lnin0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1manoz
perhaps even the golden handshake from Tony wasn't enough to get by.
Yes, seems the bitter blood runs much deeper. I can't say I would do anything differently.

Hopefully he takes care of those involved in his organization. I am sure PT will find a ride. There are still open seats and he has more skills than half the drivers out there. Plus he has the most oval experience of all the CC boys and girls.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 20:13 (Ref:2140315)   #9
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure he'll find something. Maybe not for a whole season.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 20:38 (Ref:2140333)   #10
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They could return in 2009, it seems.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65369
Old 28 Feb 2008, 21:22 (Ref:2140363)   #11
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can only burn so many bridges in life - Gerry never understood that.

I feel for the Forsythe Racing employees and its management, but I for one will not miss meeting Gerry at the paddock. May he have a good life elsewhere.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 21:37 (Ref:2140379)   #12
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're still doing Atlantics with Hinchcliffe and Garza.

http://www.champcaratlantic.com/News...le.asp?ID=3302
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 28 Feb 2008, 21:58 (Ref:2140406)   #13
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
maybe PT will drive sportscars...anyone?? tho he seems like he wants to stick it out in OWs.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 22:27 (Ref:2140434)   #14
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
PT is a big loss - but so is Montagny, who was seemingly the favourite for the second seat.

Hopefully they can both score rides somewhere...
Old 28 Feb 2008, 22:28 (Ref:2140436)   #15
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone, even Tony George will see the value in having PT in the first year of this. I can certainly see him getting a ride in Indy.
Long term, I hope he goes to the ALMS. He can join others like Herta and deFerran from open-wheel.

TG mentioned and thanked Gerry in the press conference, stating that it would not have been possible with out KK and Gerry.
So in that respect, it was a bit surprising.

Unless their is that much bad blood with the speedway, there is no reason he can`t return when a new formula comes around...it will be easier to get sponsors by then....one would hope.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 22:38 (Ref:2140443)   #16
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
“Neil said he’d been trying to get a hold of my manager but he was having a colonoscopy today. That’s ironic ‘cause that’s what I feel like I got.”
- Paul Tracy
Bummer! I certainly hope PT can find a competitive ride as he would have been a force on the Ovals for sure.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 28 Feb 2008, 22:56 (Ref:2140456)   #17
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
They're still doing Atlantics with Hinchcliffe and Garza.

http://www.champcaratlantic.com/News...le.asp?ID=3302
I'm not sure this still holds water - and, in fact, I think it does not.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 23:06 (Ref:2140464)   #18
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.forsythe-racing.com/?PageID=35&NewsID=209
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 28 Feb 2008, 23:17 (Ref:2140476)   #19
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Well, I am not sure I buy into the "can't find sponsorship on short notice" reasoning, as he couldn't seem to find sponsorship for his team post-Players.

Despite assurances from folks that GF would turn to arson before turning to the IRL, it seems clear that GF was less than interested in racing this past season based on his general invisibleness at the races.

The folks I feel bad for are the members of the team itself as they have pretty much jerked around with cutbacks and additions and then the Big Sayonara.

You all may know I am not what you would call a PT fan, but you have to feel for the guy: GF gives the big contract, asks to renegotiate it, then before that happens they kiss and make up, then he tells him to get a seat then tells him not to and now he has no ride at all.

Nice to see how a "real" businessman reacts to things...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 23:19 (Ref:2140477)   #20
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy-ace
“Neil said he’d been trying to get a hold of my manager but he was having a colonoscopy today. That’s ironic ‘cause that’s what I feel like I got.”
- Paul Tracy
Bummer! I certainly hope PT can find a competitive ride as he would have been a force on the Ovals for sure.

e-a, not sure you intended it but the use of the colonoscopy quote and referring to the situation as a "bummer" is the sort of subtlety I appreciate...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 00:07 (Ref:2140501)   #21
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the reason seems sus but it's a shame to lose them. the only down side to this merger is some will have to missout.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 00:12 (Ref:2140506)   #22
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Oh it was absolutely intended John
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 29 Feb 2008, 03:18 (Ref:2140578)   #23
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets hope PT does find a ride with one of the other champcar teams or even replace of the the not so good drivers at 1 of the indy teams,My brother is shattered about the news about Forsythe pulling out of the series and having PT missing from the series(PT is his favourite driver since we starting watching indy\champcar.).
Old 29 Feb 2008, 03:28 (Ref:2140583)   #24
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
PKV still needs to sign a 2nd driver I believe. PT would be a good fit there, although I think Tag (who has oval experience) is in the running for that seat as well.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 03:41 (Ref:2140589)   #25
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Tony George will fund a car for PT.