Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

View Poll Results: Should Rage RX150's Be Included At Rallycross Meetings?
Yes - Fully integrated as part of the championships. 3 4.92%
Yes - But with their own stand alone championships. 31 50.82%
Maybe - Ok for winter or clubman events only. 12 19.67%
No - They shouldn't be incuded at all. 15 24.59%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 Jan 2009, 20:09 (Ref:2372256)   #1
pgrogan
Racer

Ireland
Kildare
pgrogan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rage RX150

Hi Guys,

Got a quick one for competitors of rallycross mainly but also rally competitors who may be feeling the pinch of the credit crunch. Spectators view welcome also!

The RX150 in rallycross... Basically what do we think? Should they be there? Or not? Should they be eligable for overall points or completely stand alone?

All sensible views welcome, but I would really prefer if this thread would not go off topic. I just want to see what the feeling out there is.

Many thanks

Paul Grogan.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 20:37 (Ref:2372273)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by irl06
Should they be there? Or not?
I would say "no" but in the current climate then if they make events viable then ok let them play - as long as they don't just take drivers away from other classes. As a spectator I would much rather watch any of the other classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irl06
Should they be eligable for overall points or completely stand alone?
Stand alone I'd say - they're a totally different beast (they're not cars) and should be treated differently as far as the championship goes.

The other thing is - are they really a viable alternative to rally competitors feeling the pinch? Surely it'd be easier to just take the rally car rallycrossing in BTRDA supermodified or stick to track days /sprints? Or just cut back the number of rallies. I don't see it as a viable alternative, I wouldn't have thought anyone would switch from any of the existing rallycross classes either - why would you if you've already got a car ready to go?

Interesting to see what other people think?
Old 15 Jan 2009, 20:42 (Ref:2372277)   #3
daz2202
Racer

England
Canterbury
daz2202 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. They drive the same circuit
2. They pay there fees
3. Their buggies are always perfectly turned out
4. They offer some entertainment
5. Helps fill the programme

So IMO then why not. As long as my track time is not reduced i'm happy
Old 15 Jan 2009, 21:10 (Ref:2372297)   #4
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
I would say "no" but in the current climate then if they make events viable then ok let them play - as long as they don't just take drivers away from other classes. As a spectator I would much rather watch any of the other classes.

Stand alone I'd say - they're a totally different beast (they're not cars) and should be treated differently as far as the championship goes.

The other thing is - are they really a viable alternative to rally competitors feeling the pinch? Surely it'd be easier to just take the rally car rallycrossing in BTRDA supermodified or stick to track days /sprints? Or just cut back the number of rallies. I don't see it as a viable alternative, I wouldn't have thought anyone would switch from any of the existing rallycross classes either - why would you if you've already got a car ready to go?

Interesting to see what other people think?

Totally agree with everything Bert says.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 13:39 (Ref:2372704)   #5
Cujo
Racer

United Kingdom
(Over) Hairy Hill
Cujo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that there is definitely a place for them at the moment, but only as a stand-alone catagory.

As a competitor they would appeal to me on an arrive–and-drive basis only, If I was looking to spend £11K ish, I would choose a well sorted modified car instead.

As a spectator, they are OK and a bit of fun. I thought they were a plus rather than minus at the Lydden Winter meet when the conditions helped.
I was not so keen back in the summer and I would not like to see endless heats of them.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 14:08 (Ref:2372733)   #6
view2
Rookie

view2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No they are not rallyx cars and dont offer the crowd any entertainment at all.

keep them on the beach.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 14:14 (Ref:2372738)   #7
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a just a spectator I enjoyed them as they were quick and entertaining, I would rather watch them than stockhatch. However I wouldn't want them to take competitors away from other Rallycross classes.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 14:59 (Ref:2372763)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Poll added

If there are any options I've missed send me a PM.

For those that aren't entirely sure what a Rage RX150 is - it's these:
Attached Thumbnails
rx150.jpg  
Old 16 Jan 2009, 15:07 (Ref:2372768)   #9
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
For those that aren't entirely sure what a Rage RX150 is - it's these:
That would be me then!

I say bring 'em on. Give them their own class and let them get on with it.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 15:35 (Ref:2372782)   #10
TheStigsFatCousin
Rookie

Afghanistan
In James May's Hair
TheStigsFatCousin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everybody,
The Rx150's as we all know are a stand alone category. The Rx150 championship is purely running in association with both Brittish and Open Championship's. Under no circumstances will they ever race against the cars.
Most drivers of the Rx150's have come from from other aspects of motorsport into rallycross, hence bringing more drivers in to rallycross.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 16:24 (Ref:2372804)   #11
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStigsFatCousin
Under no circumstances will they ever race against the cars.
I should hope not! I don't think that's what we were suggesting - it's more a question of whether they should be running at rallycross meetings at all.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 16:36 (Ref:2372809)   #12
Coppertop
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sussex
Coppertop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The RX150's are great fun to watch, the spectators enjoy them too. The drivers are always at the grid on time and set a great example as to how to behave - we don't have too many racing incidents with them!! Personally I love them and would love the opportunity to race one...
Old 16 Jan 2009, 17:05 (Ref:2372830)   #13
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They do look like they'd be a great arrive-and-drive way to get started in rallycross.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 17:29 (Ref:2372840)   #14
Mk2RS2000
Rookie

Mk2RS2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as a spectator who has not missed a rallycross event in the last 2 years i can honestly admit that the buggys are a massive addition to the sport. they're fast and exciting to watch. Last year alone we saw Kris Meeke, Ryan Champion, Damien Cole & Bill Gwynne competing in rallyross events.... i for one hope that these buggy's continue to participate and can only imagine what big names they attract this year.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 17:36 (Ref:2372848)   #15
TheDevilsElbow
Rookie

TheDevilsElbow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
after watching the Race of Champions this year and seeing the big smiles on the worlds best drivers after driving the rx150 must tell us that they are good. surely if theyre good enough for these calibre of events then i can only assume they're going to attract more public interest towards rallycross. that can only be good for the sport!
Old 16 Jan 2009, 18:43 (Ref:2372887)   #16
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

They are brilliant fun to watch
Old 16 Jan 2009, 18:58 (Ref:2372909)   #17
WJM
Racer

Netherlands
WJM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't like them in rallycross. They are not cars and even worse: they are all the same. At least in NL, where also buggies compete in rallycross, you can admire the different technical approaches between the various cars.

They are a competitor orientated class therefore they do very little to advance rallycross as a whole. The drivers who compete in this are ridebuyers who have no specific interest in rallycross. They just want to race a bit with as little trouble as possible. When they get bored very quickly they will just do something else.

I doubt this will attract many fans, as all the cars are the same. How many people visit a BTCC weekend for the Cupra Cup, the Clio Cup or FBMW? Only some diehard fanatics follow these series, the 20000 other specators just see it as an amusing filler and couldn't care less. Plus, based on my own experiences in NL, the people who like the buggies are people who prefered buggies over cars anyway. They visit rallycross events for the buggies. When the buggies leave, they leave.

The Rx-150 are still very new, so interesting. They are being hyped now, but I wonder if they can last once the excitement settles down. They are quite expensive compared to other rallycross classes. And they don't require a lot of participation outside the driving part.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 19:04 (Ref:2372914)   #18
MESHGA
Racer

MESHGA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok ! The only way for RX150 s to be at Rallycross events are as they are at mo ,A non msa class ,bit like NORA buggies at blyton. If i remember correctly rightly its wasnt so long ago that a ten-tenths member told the world that Rage was going to race at rallycross events and more (ie going to be a rallycross class if poss)!was going to happen and was shouted down by all and sundrie !!! Now who was right and who was wrong???? Answers on a very small post card please

Last edited by MESHGA; 16 Jan 2009 at 19:08.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 19:25 (Ref:2372918)   #19
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris, no one said you were wrong, but it was the way you went about it
Old 16 Jan 2009, 19:28 (Ref:2372920)   #20
Steve Gibson
Racer

Steve Gibson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Rx150's are fully sanctioned by the MSA but do not run on a Rallycross Permit or to Rallycross Regulations.
They have seperate MSA permit and their own regulations.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 19:40 (Ref:2372927)   #21
tkiwan
Racer

Ireland
Kildare
tkiwan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Correct Steve. In Ireland we dont have this type of permit so they cant run at events overhere. But at our last few winter events we have had entries around the 100 mark so we would not have time to run them at the moment.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 19:56 (Ref:2372939)   #22
rallyxdamo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
rallyxdamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkiwan
Correct Steve. In Ireland we dont have this type of permit so they cant run at events overhere. But at our last few winter events we have had entries around the 100 mark so we would not have time to run them at the moment.
It's in Motorsport News that Chris Evans has bought one and expects to race it in the UK and Ireland.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 20:32 (Ref:2372960)   #23
daz2202
Racer

England
Canterbury
daz2202 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyxdamo
It's in Motorsport News that Chris Evans has bought one and expects to race it in the UK and Ireland.

Not that ginger topped DJ that used hang out the back of Billy Piper

Sorry back on topic...
Old 16 Jan 2009, 20:46 (Ref:2372970)   #24
tkiwan
Racer

Ireland
Kildare
tkiwan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He will be able to autocross it in Ireland and offroad race it in the UK.
As said before they dont take part in rallycross they may run at the same venue in the UK. Not the case here. Just got 2009 yearbook and that rule is still the same. Maybe Chris got some bad info or his wires crossed.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 21:51 (Ref:2373015)   #25
rallyxdamo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
rallyxdamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkiwan
He will be able to autocross it in Ireland and offroad race it in the UK.
As said before they dont take part in rallycross they may run at the same venue in the UK. Not the case here. Just got 2009 yearbook and that rule is still the same. Maybe Chris got some bad info or his wires crossed.
Don't know Tom. I'll ask him when i'm talking to him next.
Off topic here. Hows the car comin on or should i mention the war.