Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Feb 2009, 12:21 (Ref:2395383)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pacific Rim - No, Australasian!

You may have noticed a small change to the 'Aussie' forum, with the inclusion of an additional name... the Pacific Rim...

What is the Pacific Rim?

Well some of the subjects of cars going to and from different parts of the world have centred on the types of vehicles that have been drafted into the Asian Touring Car Championship...

....and since this series also has FIA status, and is growing in status in developing markets, we hope the discussion will grow.

Please feel free to start threads about the Asian touring car series.. as we expand the focus of this particular forum to embrace our northern neighbours.

There is a motor racing world outside of V8Supercar after all
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Feb 2009, 22:22 (Ref:2398734)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Due to popular demand, and suggestions from our fellow forumers... the forum name is now "Australasian Touring Cars"

As the name suggests, the forum is about motor racing events in the Australia, New Zealand and Asian areas, specifically around saloon/sedan/touring/GT cars run in these regions

Any discussions about F3 or F1 or NASCAR or any other class operating in these regions other than the saloon/sedan/touring/GT cars should be in one of the other fine forums of this site.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 10:23 (Ref:2398939)   #3
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You do know that places like Iran, Iraq, half of Turkey and most of the rest of the Middle East, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Kazakhstan are also in Asia.

So, if there's any touring car / GT car racing in those places, do we talk about them here?

And Lebanon too.

Kramer

Not that there's too much racing in Kazakhstan, of course, when their taxi is a donkey-drawn Renault 12.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 10:41 (Ref:2398946)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer
You do know that places like Iran, Iraq, half of Turkey and most of the rest of the Middle East, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Kazakhstan are also in Asia.

So, if there's any touring car / GT car racing in those places, do we talk about them here?

And Lebanon too.

Kramer

Not that there's too much racing in Kazakhstan, of course, when their taxi is a donkey-drawn Renault 12.
Step right up to the Kazakhstan 500... presented by Borat

All these areas are open for discussion here... unless it is WTCC, and thats back in the other forum....
Old 18 Feb 2009, 03:25 (Ref:2399413)   #5
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to be a pain, where should discussion about a potential Australian round of the WTCC take place? If not here, then discussion about the Bahrain V8 Supercar round should take place in the African Touring Car forum (assuming that Bahrain is technically in Africa not Asia).
Old 18 Feb 2009, 11:11 (Ref:2399565)   #6
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a Commodore series that runs In Dubai? Could that be included
Old 18 Feb 2009, 13:59 (Ref:2399643)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
General rule is 'use your common sense' and choose the area where it seems to fit best. And be aware that there are things you might want to talk about that aren't in this section. Some thoughts:

Aussie round of WTCC = WTCC
Aussie F3 = national and international single seaters (along with other F3 series)
Auusie V8s = here, even if they're running at Silverstone (I wish)
Aussie GT = sports car and GT really. I know we've left it alone in here, but it ought to be with its cousins.
Old timer racing, historic V8 discussions, chassis archives probably ought to be in the hitoric sections, but I've been moaned at in the past for moving them over there.
And if they're not racing cars - discussion of Ford/Holden Australia - it ought to be in Road Car.

It's a big world out there, enjoy it!
Old 19 Feb 2009, 08:32 (Ref:2400075)   #8
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see the point you are making but I barely have time to read the areas of specific first interest-let alone amongst a lot of other things to distract me.
Australia is a little unique(!!) in that the professional end of the sport is totally dominated by one category while the rest needs a conduit to discussion.I would prefer to see title reflect all thing Australian circuit racing-not just"touring" cars( what a quaint description that is) and all things about Australian circuit racing.
Old 19 Feb 2009, 11:24 (Ref:2400169)   #9
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with Silver

I read here for Australian motorsport news and gossip. I really don't want to HAVE to search around the whole forum for category specific news.

I like having an "all australian" section....

BTW, I've NEVER clicked any ad or pop up or any marketing item from any internet site... so making people bounce around under any marketing pretence, is just that IMO.
Old 20 Feb 2009, 13:44 (Ref:2400839)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From a marketing point of view it makes no difference where you go around the whole site, so that's irrelevant.

We've generally been pretty lenient about things within Australia & NZ that really ought to be elsewhere. I do agree that it's a bit of a unique market in the way motorsport is set up and so the 'Aussie and NZ' has always been allowed to take precedence. I'm not entirely convinced it's the right way to be, but I do understand it and we don't tend to enforce it. Personally, I think it means you're missing out on a lot of other discussion if you don't go anywhere else and it means the V8s dominate discussions as well as the local market.

Some of the stuff in my list I think we would enforce - an Australian round of WTCC, for instance. I think Road Car should be enforced too, and A1GP where discussion is about the race should be moved, but I don't think I'd move discussions about the venue because in that sense the V8s and the place are intrinsically Australian - be prepared for a bit of editing and merging when that one happens!
Old 20 Feb 2009, 21:08 (Ref:2401049)   #11
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
an Australian round of WTCC, for instance
Someone has pipe dreams if they think this will ever happen again
Old 20 Feb 2009, 21:23 (Ref:2401058)   #12
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Where the hell is Australasia?.....

I think ANZAC Touring Cars is a more appropriate name,especially as New Zealand run teams and Kiwis completely dominate the V8 Supercars,not to mention New Zealand is totally superior to Australia in Rugby,League,Cricket and all other sports that matter...
Australia is getting all the star billing,and the Kiwis are doing all the donkey work...
Old 20 Feb 2009, 21:45 (Ref:2401072)   #13
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd prefer an Australian and NZ section.

The Australasian thing doesn't make any sense at all.
Old 20 Feb 2009, 22:48 (Ref:2401101)   #14
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as we don't start doing what the French seem to have down pat - and change the spelling of a country to suit their own idiosyncracies!
Old 21 Feb 2009, 02:42 (Ref:2401193)   #15
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender

the Kiwis are doing all the donkey work...

Thanks for that- I was always under the impression it was the sheep that were in danger!
Old 21 Feb 2009, 04:05 (Ref:2401212)   #16
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Who cares about NZ? Just call it Australian Racing.
Old 21 Feb 2009, 06:58 (Ref:2401239)   #17
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Show us your tits Billy.........
Old 22 Feb 2009, 01:19 (Ref:2401617)   #18
dazza027
Racer

dazza027 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah Armco, further to what Silver said...I noticed you have 'got sheep?' on your avatar, have you guys run out of virgins over there???
Old 22 Feb 2009, 01:49 (Ref:2401625)   #19
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza027
Yeah Armco, further to what Silver said...I noticed you have 'got sheep?' on your avatar, have you guys run out of virgins over there???

Sure have.

If the time ever comes, we can supply the wise men, you guys can supply the virgin.
Old 22 Feb 2009, 08:51 (Ref:2401717)   #20
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
nic.v814 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlood
Sure have.

If the time ever comes, we can supply the wise men, you guys can supply the virgin.
Well said . How about just calling it Tasman Touring cars or does that sound to much like the v8 team.
Old 22 Feb 2009, 09:09 (Ref:2401722)   #21
dazza027
Racer

dazza027 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dunno how ya can say well said, he basically admitted you guys have molested all your sheep and are looking for more.... And if Murph is any guide to how wise you mob on the other side of the ditch are, then I think we'll use our own wise men thanks.
Old 22 Feb 2009, 10:29 (Ref:2401754)   #22
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
nic.v814 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza027
Dunno how ya can say well said, he basically admitted you guys have molested all your sheep and are looking for more.... And if Murph is any guide to how wise you mob on the other side of the ditch are, then I think we'll use our own wise men thanks.
Well didnt mean to i just like his comment about using our wise men instead of yours and i dont see how you can insult murphs intelligence considering you dont know the guy.