Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 27 Jun 2016, 18:38 (Ref:3655441)   #51
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Congratulations to Willy P. on a dominating run. Pole, led nearly every lap and win. Up to 3rd now in points after missing round one.
Old 27 Jun 2016, 18:46 (Ref:3655444)   #52
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
RA will be on next year's calendar. That's such good news.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/125006
Certainly a no-brainer to me and the track deserves it as do the fans.
Old 27 Jun 2016, 19:55 (Ref:3655453)   #53
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Apparently Daly thought he was hit. But that wasn't the case it seems.
He did say in a quick interview during the race that he'd already apologized - I guess via team radio or something.
Old 27 Jun 2016, 19:56 (Ref:3655454)   #54
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Absolutely. Great track of course, and that was a very convincing-looking crowd. Plus the drivers universally seem to love the place (no surprise there I guess).
Old 28 Jun 2016, 03:24 (Ref:3655530)   #55
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

I'm expecting the Glen to add to the ravings.

And while IndyCar is suddenly adding all these great road courses to their schedule: how about bringing Laguna Seca back?!
Old 28 Jun 2016, 04:00 (Ref:3655534)   #56
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post

I'm expecting the Glen to add to the ravings.

And while IndyCar is suddenly adding all these great road courses to their schedule: how about bringing Laguna Seca back?!
I wish.
Old 28 Jun 2016, 06:13 (Ref:3655548)   #57
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yes IndyCar needs that balance and having the variety of tracks is what makes IndyCar unique, compared to F1. The problem with street races like Baltimore and Houston, is they have proven to be unsustainable and in the case of Boston a non starter.
I guess the point I was making is that for every Baltimore there is a Long Beach and vice versa.

Not all street races work however I think Indycar trying to break into the mainstream that is worth investigating and taking a chance on a big sports mad market like Boston.

Houston is an interesting one as it ran for 8 years across 3 different attempts. I think there is still value in the event should the right promoter come along again like Lanigan/MiJack who ran a good event there.
Old 28 Jun 2016, 10:02 (Ref:3655567)   #58
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Most street races don't work. They're tempting to go to because there's a ready made audience included in the deal which probably gives a false reading as to how popular Indycar really is. But costs for the city spiral and complaints mount and generally the series gets pushed out. Still I'd be disappointed if there wasn't one or two street raced in the mix.
Old 28 Jun 2016, 20:14 (Ref:3655665)   #59
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
I guess the point I was making is that for every Baltimore there is a Long Beach and vice versa.

Not all street races work however I think Indycar trying to break into the mainstream that is worth investigating and taking a chance on a big sports mad market like Boston.

Houston is an interesting one as it ran for 8 years across 3 different attempts. I think there is still value in the event should the right promoter come along again like Lanigan/MiJack who ran a good event there.
Boston does have a great sports heritage, what with the Red Sox and the Patriots. I don't follow Basket Ball or Ice Hockey so I have no idea about the Celtics or the Bruins. Whether that would translate into more motorsports fans, I'm not sure and we will never know. However, what we do know is Vancouver, a perennial from 1990 to 2004, back in the CART/Champ Car days, had a big motorsports fan base. Also Canada needs another race.

Earlier on in the season Roger Penske said IndyCar should be looking to the North West, so the obvious place to go for another street race I would have thought would be Vancouver, not Boston.
Old 28 Jun 2016, 23:45 (Ref:3655687)   #60
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like street races. I always thought I was one of the few that liked Baltimore. CART at San Jose with the trolley tracks made me smile. Overall, I find them enjoyable.

However, professionals racing through parking lots and hastily thrown together bumpy temp street circuits is pretty much a joke most of the time. Temp street circuits come and go, and new ones generally fail, can leave a bitter taste for locals while taking a race from a circuit that's been there since 1950, like Road America.

Belle Isle, Long Beach, Exhibition Place and St Pete is more than enough to satisfy the street race appetite and there's no need to add anymore, imho, unless you consider the Cleveland airport a street race.
Old 29 Jun 2016, 07:01 (Ref:3655723)   #61
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The problem is that they already race at Sonoma, so it would be two races on California and not very far from each other. With a single event on that region it is already hard enough to attract good crowds, imagine two......

I think we should have, at max, a couple of street races and those should be on great layouts. I just loathe races on places that seems half assed and improvized that will only bring endless cautions and difficulty in battling up.
Old 29 Jun 2016, 13:57 (Ref:3655763)   #62
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
I'm sure LS would draw a bunch more spectators than Sonoma, in a similar fashion we saw the fans flock to RA.

If the two of them on the schedule is too much, I would drop Sonoma in a heartbeat!
Old 29 Jun 2016, 20:41 (Ref:3655825)   #63
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Street circuits aren't "taking away a race" from anybody. If a road course race isn't happening, it's because one or more of the pieces/parties isn't agreeable to the existing terms or conditions of a potential race. In other words, that road course race wasn't going to happen even if the street race wasn't sitting out there.

For 1984-2007, CART/ChampCar had as many, or more, races on non-permanent circuits as on permanent road courses. The ICS kept this trend going through last season, and if it was Boston rather than Watkins Glen in 2016, that would still hold true this year. So, this isn't exactly a new phenomenon.

Also, if you're going to complain so much about the bumps on street circuits, don't go with a double standard by suggesting that IndyCar should run Sebring.

And yes, I would prefer to have 16 different circuits on the IndyCar schedule than having two races at Belle Isle, but that would be my preference anyway, whether it was a doubleheader on a street circuit, or two visits to a given oval in a season.
Old 29 Jun 2016, 21:26 (Ref:3655829)   #64
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
I've moved my comments on street circuits to the future schedule thread.
Long live Indycar @Road America.
Old 29 Jun 2016, 22:53 (Ref:3655832)   #65
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'll second that last statement.
Old 30 Jun 2016, 11:19 (Ref:3655912)   #66
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Road America is a great circuit - and IndyCar have produced a great show there last weekend. Yet, unfortunately, the circuit still seems to have some safety issues. For example, why is there no catch fencing on the wall on the left of the picture below?

Also, I'm rather certain that a SAFER barrier on the outside of The Kink would also be very much appreciated by competitors from other racing series that run cars with roofs.
Old 30 Jun 2016, 11:36 (Ref:3655914)   #67
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur View Post
The problem is that they already race at Sonoma, so it would be two races on California and not very far from each other. With a single event on that region it is already hard enough to attract good crowds, imagine two......

I think we should have, at max, a couple of street races and those should be on great layouts. I just loathe races on places that seems half assed and improvized that will only bring endless cautions and difficulty in battling up.

Quote:
I'm sure LS would draw a bunch more spectators than Sonoma, in a similar fashion we saw the fans flock to RA.

If the two of them on the schedule is too much, I would drop Sonoma in a heartbeat!
Interesting posts in themselves, as they bring up a subject that's been discussed before but not wanting the thread to go completely off topic and also wishing to respond, I thought a thread where future races can be discussed would be the ticket, as it is something that often comes up.
Old 30 Jun 2016, 14:30 (Ref:3655948)   #68
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Road America is a great circuit - and IndyCar have produced a great show there last weekend. Yet, unfortunately, the circuit still seems to have some safety issues. For example, why is there no catch fencing on the wall on the left of the picture below?

Also, I'm rather certain that a SAFER barrier on the outside of The Kink would also be very much appreciated by competitors from other racing series that run cars with roofs.
A) Because it's a straight, uphill, non spectator area. That said, there are spectators on the stairs of the bridge (both sides) but that can be solved way more cheaply.

B) I don't think I've ever heard or read a complaint about it from drivers/teams. That doesn't necessarily mean it's not an issue but it doesn't seem to be a concern. However I'm sure the Kink is permanently on RA's radar.
Old 30 Jun 2016, 15:20 (Ref:3655953)   #69
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Ironically, based on existing examples, it would make more sense having a SAFER barrier in front of a wall that was already closer to the track than what we see on the outside of "the Kink". Also, there is some back-and-forth between concrete barriers and armco in that section.

On the bright side, rather like the Nordschleife, there isn't much space for the momentum vector of a vehicle to change before encountering the barriers, so the chance of a steep impact angle is fairly minimal.
Old 30 Jun 2016, 16:56 (Ref:3655971)   #70
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
No need. It's been adressed multiple times. There is no threat to anyone. The closest spectator in that area would be over 100ft. away, and or on the bridge stairway on drivers left. Drivers right is less of a threat.

Quote:
The distance between track edge, and the wall is already only 6-8ft. depending on where you are. SAFER barrier would take an additional 2 out of that. Pushing the wall back isn't an option as the land abutting that section of the facility isn't owned by them, and leads directly into a watershed that the Army Corps of Engineers refuses to grant modification to outside of necessary railroad repairs.

BEYOND that... the way the corner is, and the way accidents tend to happen with carry the car down the track at a VERY shallow angle, rebound is a significant concern, and it's best mitigated using the solutions currently there, and that is bare concrete.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 30 Jun 2016, 23:17 (Ref:3656026)   #71
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the interesting replies.