Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Sep 2004, 10:26 (Ref:1094908)   #1
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
LMES Overview

Now that the first year of LMES is finished what does everyone think of it and how it should develop.

I may be biased but I think it is one of the most exciting new series to be started for years and has provided some great racing.

Motors TV coverage has been good in the circumstances but they seem to have a series lack of support from the ACO - having to commentate from a studio in Paris with no real supply of data or control of any pictures.

The multiclass system has once again proved that it can provide consistantly exciting races.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 11:47 (Ref:1095032)   #2
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From a spectator who only followed it in the newspaper, DSC, live timing and chatroom, I must say the LMES looks really good. Even thought I didn't get to see the action, the races, although all won by Audis, weren't decided right at the start, due to a mixture of excellent tracks, great teams and sometimes strange weather.

I hope it continues like this quality-wise, and it could improve coverage-wise: a radio LMES (hopefully in the new radio hindy is setting up) and a more informative live timing, for those of us who can not get Motors TV.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 13:04 (Ref:1095133)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A good first season.

Next year I'd like to see more competition at the front of the prototype classes, a better TV feed - ie having timing on screen and available to the commentators, and a calendar of perhaps six races.

I'd also move all the races to Saturday, to avoid clashing with other motor-racing events, and I'd run them from 1600-2200 so they start light and finish in the darker conditions, to give some of the spirit of Le Mans.

Plenty of potential, this series, good work by all concerned!
Old 13 Sep 2004, 13:17 (Ref:1095146)   #4
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd ensure that the television production team is also prepared to do a 2 hour digest of the race for other television outlets (like Speed TV) on a timely basis - ie ready for broadcast within two weeks. A single hour doesn't do it justice...

On the whole a good start.

KB, I like your idea on timing. Let's watch Laguna Seca ALMS and see how well it presents itself...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 13 Sep 2004, 13:23 (Ref:1095151)   #5
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
I'd like to see more competition at the front of the prototype classes
Did you see the battles between the Veloqx Audis at Monza, the Zytek sandwich at Silverstone, the dog fights last week-end ?

I'd like to see more, but I was surprised of so much commitment. Especially the show that gave the Veloqx Audis - I won't forget the Audi/Ferrari/Audi sandwich on the straight line at Monza, with Herbert FOUR WHEELS in the grass

Your're right on the result, though : 4 Veloqx victories...

More : I subscribed to satelite ONLY for the LMES (and FIA-GT) coverage, and now I know it was worth it... for LMES !(Eurosport, give some place to GT !)

The show was great, the teams were great... one or two more european races (Portugal... France ?) please ! I did feel it in November 2003, at LM, when we had this wondeful race under the rain : it was on its way to a wonderful championship, and it has been. More than 40 entries at each race ! We only missed RFH, and the Vettes in GTS, and that's it ! Oh, what about one or two Dyson cars ? Oops, sorry, that's a world championship

Last edited by Fab; 13 Sep 2004 at 13:30.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 13:38 (Ref:1095175)   #6
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab

Your're right on the result, though : 4 Veloqx victories...
Yes but at no stage did you get the impression that there was any kind of team orders between the two cars which seemed to be flat out and in competition with each other. Well done to Audi UK for allowing such competition
Old 13 Sep 2004, 14:10 (Ref:1095207)   #7
bgeorge104
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
bgeorge104 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really have enjoyed this series, I took the family to Silverstone & thoroughly enjoyed camping on the infield & will definitely be back next year.

Well done to all the teams for putting on a great show.

I know in the commentary yesterday that John Hindhuagh said the crowds were small, but that's one of the appeals for me, I also attend Le Mans & the crowds can get too much at time, at Silverstone we were able to cycle round the track at least twice during the race on Saturday enjoying the view from anywhere without having to fight your way through the masses.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 14:56 (Ref:1095234)   #8
simon c
Racer

simon c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good first year - set a tough precedent though.

May be too early to say, but what will be running next year in LMES?
Old 13 Sep 2004, 15:13 (Ref:1095246)   #9
mikmx
Racer

Netherlands
rotterdam
mikmx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Visisted Ring and Spa events and both where very good. Planning to visit at least three next year. More cars in GTS would be nice as would be more dutch competitors.
Tv coverage don't have motors and no eurosport.. In (car)magazine's have not seen much news about it so that could improve.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 15:29 (Ref:1095248)   #10
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought the Series got an excellent start....Good racing action, strong, large fields of cars...

Now the attendance (from what I've read in various threads, etc.) could improve some....but that is a minor thing...as the Series moves into future years, the fans will come....

I hope that they do add a fifth race next year (in the Iberian peninsula, which has been hinted at by the LMES)....and ultimately build up to a six or seven race season....

But ti feel the series had a great start this year...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 13 Sep 2004, 15:43 (Ref:1095262)   #11
KRONOSJL
Rookie

KRONOSJL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he would be perfect if:
- ZYTEK have made all the season
- PESCAROLO had more money and more luck
- more récents LMP2 , because the COURAGE are a little alone when they have no problems
- one or two good FERRARI against the LARBRE (one BMS's 550 and One GPC's 575)

and have a dream : some races in same time than ALMS , for seing AUDI CHAMPION against AUDI VELOQX , LOLA DYSON against ZYTEK , CORVETTE against SALEEN and LARBRE...
Old 13 Sep 2004, 15:56 (Ref:1095270)   #12
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
personally I was disappointed by

the Lister Storm LMP
Rollcentre (lots of bad luck)
Vitaphone (the fastest GTS but so unreliable)
K2 (I expected more out of this effort, maybe just because I like the car's looks)

...while I was pleasantly surprised by

WR (they did alright this year didn't they)
the F550s (still holding their own against the 575s, works support or not)
Farnbacher (a very solid debut year)
Sam Hancock & Alexander Frei
Roman Rusinov (first major international circuit racing title for a Russian driver?)
Sebah (a case for pre-owned Porsches)
the new Lucchini (a decent debut)
Old 13 Sep 2004, 16:17 (Ref:1095294)   #13
vandijk
Veteran

Netherlands
vandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridvandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
one or two more european races (Portugal... France ?) please !
One additional race was more or less confirmed last weekend. It looks like it will be race outside Europe though.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 18:00 (Ref:1095464)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by vandijk
One additional race was more or less confirmed last weekend. It looks like it will be race outside Europe though.
Asia???

We've heard word of a race in China hinted at, and I would think that getting Japanese manufacturers involved might also mean a possible race in Japan???

Old 13 Sep 2004, 18:14 (Ref:1095481)   #15
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dubai, Bahrain, the usual. Boring.
LMES shouls stay in Europe and establish itself there before going anywhere.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 18:46 (Ref:1095510)   #16
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If LMES want japanese cars, it won't be no more european. I'd like to see a real worldwide championship with Spa, Monza, Silverstone, Suzuka, Laguna Seca...
Old 13 Sep 2004, 19:15 (Ref:1095548)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I agree...and there are sportscar fans in Europe (like the Iberian Peninsula) who would probably support a race there....

I would get my core audience served first....

Having said that, it is easy for me to make such a judgment from the outside, when the "big Picture" for sportscar racing's future has to be saying "serve audiences in Asia as a means through which the Asian manufacturers step up and return in full force to sportscar endurance racing and in particular, to building prototypes, GTS cars, etc....

Old 13 Sep 2004, 20:28 (Ref:1095606)   #18
eddsc
Racer

eddsc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not really Tim. Look upon the future as seeking Middle Eastern resources to fund the running of European-built GT cars. Good point re core audiences though.
MC
Old 13 Sep 2004, 20:33 (Ref:1095608)   #19
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IMO the LMES has been a success, we have seen 4 fantastic races, lots of cars what 35+ at round and a good verity too, good TV package. I just hope that they can build on it next year and LMES doesn't go the way of the ELMS.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 21:23 (Ref:1095666)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was impressed, it worked well and there were some good races.

There is a question about depth of quality down the field, but I think a minor one.
Quote:
Originally by cybersdorf
Dubai, Bahrain, the usual. Boring.
LMES shouls stay in Europe and establish itself there before going anywhere.
I agree with this.
The races were good and they only went to top circuits (unlike ALMS). Expansion of the series is a tricky one. I see no reason to rush, it might harm the series. A couple more races next year would be ideal. The format of the races (1000km/6 hours) is good, but a consequence is that it doesn't need lots of races. Each race is a real event and that may be diluted if they had more races. Perhaps some shorter sprints could be added - although these long races have to form the back bone.

How was the viewing figures. I understand crowds were low except at Silverstone. I know nothing of TV figures. We all watch it on MotorsTV, but then we would I hope it was a success, but it is still early days.

I am unsure whether it should have had a championship result. There were only four events and I like the idea that these were all events on their own. However a major incentive (the real championship win, not the trophy) is the Le Mans entry.
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
...serve audiences in Asia...
The lack of Le Mans racing in Asia is an issue, IMO. However I would rather a separate mini-series at this point, perhaps just starting with a return of a 1000km race at Suzuka.

Last edited by Adam43; 13 Sep 2004 at 21:28.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 21:32 (Ref:1095677)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by eddsc
Not really Tim. Look upon the future as seeking Middle Eastern resources to fund the running of European-built GT cars. Good point re core audiences though.
MC

Thanks for the insight, eddsc....that one should have occurred to me, but did not...makes perfect sense....

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 13 Sep 2004 at 21:34.

Old 13 Sep 2004, 22:21 (Ref:1095748)   #22
marcush.
Racer

Equatorial Guinea
Bad Ems /Germany
marcush. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great Racing but again no coverage ...How can you hope to build a solid stock of followers if nobody knows about these awesome races,with real overtaking ,unbearable tension right to the last laps and not that F1 hype.
I just stopped to watch F1 anymore because of LMES.And having to go to the races as there is no coverage at all
in germany is a bit sad...
Old 13 Sep 2004, 22:49 (Ref:1095765)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well the coverage of the racing is fine from my point of view. All the race live, but that is only on MotorsTV. However, as you say, this is not the case elsewhere.

I taped and watched the whole thing, but I doubt many other people would watch the whole race.

TV coverage of 6 hour races live is practically unheard of. It is certainly not something that major channels would consider. 6 hours! It is not TV friendly. In addition what happens if we get a dull race. Then that is 6 hours of dull.

A highlights program would be all that they would show, if that, and it is arguable how well endurance racing lends itself to highlights. One moment there is ten-seconds between two cars, the next one lap! Trying to give a good grasp of what happened and how the race developed would be difficult.

I think getting people to the races/events is the key to the sucess of the series.
Old 14 Sep 2004, 01:33 (Ref:1095828)   #24
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
TV coverage of 6 hour races live is practically unheard of. It is certainly not something that major channels would consider. 6 hours! It is not TV friendly. In addition what happens if we get a dull race. Then that is 6 hours of dull.
Speed TV here in the States covers almost all 12 hours of Sebring, and I think it was twenty of the Twenty Four Hours of Le Mans live. I admit, that is motorsport only cable channel, and as such is not avaiable in all US households, but I understand both shows had outstanding following.

I certainly agree with focus on making the races 'events,' like the old old days when sports car racing was so popular. That will require planning a calendar to allow such a thing. I would think it can be done.

I understand the idea of having series make visit(s) to Asia, but by the same token isn't one of the bigger TV audiences watching Le Mans the Japanese? Certainly there is some big exposure of that race in Japan, and it will remain the prize that will hopefully lure the Japanese manufactures back into sports cars.
Old 14 Sep 2004, 02:51 (Ref:1095842)   #25
GT-Eins
Veteran

Germany
Hannover, Germany
GT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Beside the "danger" of a non-european race being added following comments from my side:
- from a sportscar-fan view it was the best series 2004 worldwide
- from promotion a little more could have been done
- from a german motorsport fans view: there is the urgent need to improve media attention. In german medias (TV, print) this great series does not take place. Some german teams will step out in 2005 because the benefit is too less.
- imo Ratel should keep the original idea in running just 4 events in 2005 before extending too early. oversea-races outside europe are clearly against the concept of cost effective endurance racing