Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 28 May 2003, 17:49 (Ref:612701)   #1
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indy 500

Ok i've decided I need to check out the Indy 500 race next year (nobody ask why I just need to ok, lol)

Has anyone who's been got any practical advice on:

- best tickets

- second and considerably more important accomodation, preferably in downtown Indianapolis (I plan to use the IndyGo shuttle to get to the circuit)

Thanks
Andy
Old 28 May 2003, 21:19 (Ref:612919)   #2
IRLS
Rookie

IRLS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oval racing is boring!
Old 28 May 2003, 23:07 (Ref:612999)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think the Indy 500 is clearly something that has to be experienced. I too would love to hear of stories of the 500 (and how to do it). I am clearly a road racing man, but Indy has it's draws and I need to go and see that (and Daytona).

Of course I could change my mind and just be narrow minded Anyway,

Come on, how do you do Indy?...

Last edited by Adam43; 28 May 2003 at 23:08.
Old 29 May 2003, 02:05 (Ref:613064)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ditto, if there is something that I have to do one year, it would have to be Indy...
Old 29 May 2003, 02:57 (Ref:613086)   #5
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello, Andy H,

I was at Indy last Sunday. It was my second time there (last year was first). I am not fond of oval track racing, but I understand your reasons for watching Indy 500.

Both times my seats - arranged by my father-in-law - were at the Paddock Boxes (box 51 last year, 17 in 2003). Do not be fooled by the name - it has nothing to do with the paddock as we non-Americans understand this word, and it is not in the inwards of the track.

At Indy "Paddock" is the name of the grandstand in front of the pits. "Boxes" means seats on the lower deck, "penthouse" for seats on the top deck. The same is valid to the other double-deck grandstands: "boxes" is lower level, "paddock" is top one. Also, lower level seats have rows called with single letters ("A" to "Z", being "Z" the higher, "A" the closest to the track). The top level has rows with double letters, from "AA" to "ZZ" (or "RR", I do not remember how far they go).

At the "Paddock" grandstand the numbers increase in the oppositon direction of the race flow. That means that last year I was at the upstream section of the main straight, and this year I was just, just after the start/finish line. As I was seated at row H, I was close to the track - and could see only a section of the main straight and Turn 1 (with a little effort).

I opened a thread called "Indy 500 pictures" in the IRL forum - take a look at the shots, they will give an idea of what were my point and field of view.

In my next time at the Brickyard I will get Penthouse tickets at the E grandstand. I was there during practice for the United States Formula 1 GP in 2000. The view of the track is amazing, and you can see the whole main straight, Turn 1, South Chute and Turn 2 too - what is half of the track -, plus the pitlane (but too far to discern what is really happening at the upstreammost pits). You will also be able to seee part of the Back Stretch.

May I suggest you to contact Tim Northcutt and some other Ten Tenths members that havee been there many, many more times than me - they can give you good tips. Note that, though, some Ten Tenths members that state their residence as "Indianapolis" or "Speedway" actually do not live there and haven't ever been at the Brickyard...

Crash Test, in my opinion there are many other more interesting things to do if you are to do something racing one day... Le Mans is the ultimate race, and driving the Nuerburgring Nordschleife is the ultimate track day...

Cheers,

Muzza
Old 29 May 2003, 03:09 (Ref:613088)   #6
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Continuing...

Regarding accomodation, renting an RV ("recreational vehicle", what you Europeans call "caravan". "Motorhome" is considered a passé form) allow can be pretty fun and let you enjoy more of the "American experience", cruising from town to town, stopping here and there. Also, you can be closer to the party that surrounds the Speedway - a scene worth joining - and enjoying!

Besides, renting an RV would pretty handy if you decide to go to Milwaukee and watch the CART race there, as it always happen on the weekend following the Indy 500 (well, guess where I am going to be this weeekend?).

Warning: get your RV pass very early, as they are amongst the very first to sell out.

All my times at Indy (for the F-1 Grand Prix or for the 500) stayed out of town, either in Lafayette (one hour northwest of Indianapolis) or in Terre Haute (50 minutes west of Indianapolis). Do not let the French names mislead you: these towns are in the heart of the State of Indiana, and not in Quebec...

Cheers,

Muzza

Last edited by Muzza; 29 May 2003 at 03:13.
Old 30 May 2003, 17:25 (Ref:615017)   #7
Andy H
Racer

thanks for the good advice folks, stand e seems to be what everyone is recommending

as for accomodation i can only make it for the weekend, so i'm hoping to stay downtown or at the airport and shuttle in and out - just waiting for some details to come back on availability and prices of hotels.......
Old 30 May 2003, 22:11 (Ref:615301)   #8
Jack Man
Racer

Canada
Mississauga Ont Canada
Jack Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy I spent 10 years going to Indy and sat all over. The best seats i found were in the NW Vista (turn 4)as high as you can get( double letters). You can see the cars coming out of turn three thru the short chute around 4 and all the way down the straight. This is about the most you can see there. Make sure you check out some of the other races at Indy raceway park or the state fairgrounds when your there.

Last edited by Jack Man; 30 May 2003 at 22:14.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 18:26 (Ref:619507)   #9
Andy H
Racer

thanks for the advice Dave, what did you do for accomodation?
Old 3 Jun 2003, 21:59 (Ref:619739)   #10
Jack Man
Racer

Canada
Mississauga Ont Canada
Motorhome and parked in a nice ladies back yard right next to the track.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 22:02 (Ref:619743)   #11
Jack Man
Racer

Canada
Mississauga Ont Canada
Andy read the pm i sent you.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 22:37 (Ref:619773)   #12
Andy H
Racer

sorry i hadn't noticeed the pm earlier - thanks for the advice
Old 3 Jun 2003, 23:38 (Ref:619848)   #13
Jack Man
Racer

Canada
Mississauga Ont Canada
Glad to help. If you have any more Questions just pm me.