Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 13 Jan 2012, 14:36 (Ref:3011199)   #1
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Drayson Lola Electric Racing Car

In what looked like a late addition to the Autosport Show as it does not appear in the Trade Directory for yesterday and today, a stand featured the Lola-Drayson B12/69EV as what looked like a finished car. It was very strange looking at the "engine bay" with no engine!

Amongst the technology said to be on the car is "Qualcomm Halo wireless charging technology" and "BAE Systems stuctural composite battery technology", whatever they are?

In the handout available on the stand (booth to any American readers!) it states that "Power in qualifying mode" is 650kW/850Bhp and 0-60 is given as 3.0sec, 0-100 in 5.1sec and critically "Running time in race mode" is quoted at >15 minutes.

Now for a bear of little brain like me these things mean not a lot really but someone close to the project said that their initial intention was to run the car to set a few (lap?) records. It is very clear that a great deal of money has been spent on a vehicle with nowhere to race as yet and with some practical problems to be solved but Drayson are looking to recruit "the finest engineers" to work on the project.

Interesting exhibit, any thoughts on the above technology and key figures?
Old 16 Jan 2012, 16:03 (Ref:3012377)   #2
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
In what looked like a late addition to the Autosport Show as it does not appear in the Trade Directory for yesterday and today, a stand featured the Lola-Drayson B12/69EV as what looked like a finished car. It was very strange looking at the "engine bay" with no engine!

Amongst the technology said to be on the car is "Qualcomm Halo wireless charging technology" and "BAE Systems stuctural composite battery technology", whatever they are?

In the handout available on the stand (booth to any American readers!) it states that "Power in qualifying mode" is 650kW/850Bhp and 0-60 is given as 3.0sec, 0-100 in 5.1sec and critically "Running time in race mode" is quoted at >15 minutes.

Now for a bear of little brain like me these things mean not a lot really but someone close to the project said that their initial intention was to run the car to set a few (lap?) records. It is very clear that a great deal of money has been spent on a vehicle with nowhere to race as yet and with some practical problems to be solved but Drayson are looking to recruit "the finest engineers" to work on the project.

Interesting exhibit, any thoughts on the above technology and key figures?
My thoughts and experiences are that the automotive industry is fast realising that traction motor based hybrids and full electric vehicles are highly inefficient and expensive beasts with a poor business case for the mass market.......technically the the net result being very short range capability for a full charge, and they are more expensive to run than the latest down-sized IC engines.....I fear that despite all the marketing hype, the Drayson car will also demostrate this basic flaw with 15 minute duration.........its a bit of a joke in my book, but good on them for trying........I work in the hybrid industry so feel very well placed to make such claims........there is another 20-30 years left in the good old internal combustion engine, so no need to panic is my conclusion.

a few weeks ago I saw an electric bike race on TV.......my god, it was dull as ditch water
Old 16 Jan 2012, 17:53 (Ref:3012445)   #3
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The electric car will only become a reality when you can get at least a range of 400km + on a charge and then with a reasonably quick charge.

I don't think batteries offer this and we may end up with a different method of energy storage.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 17:47 (Ref:3012940)   #4
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not a question of range for racing purposes, it is a question of time. They need to be able to run for 1 hour or so at racing speed to compare with LMP cars. Rate of charge is not a problem for racing, you just need enough batteries so that you can change them in a pit stop
Old 23 Jan 2012, 09:15 (Ref:3015599)   #5
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Just out of interest, anyone know what the definition is for an 'electric' car? Would an electric car still be 'electric' if it carried an onboard charging system (so long as the wheels were driven by electric motors)? For example, an electric KERS system could be considered an onboard battery charger. But then so could a small onboard IC engine powering an alternator. Given a big enough engine, or even a turbine, a-la Jaguar C-X75, a combustion powered charging system could even directly power the traction motors, but would it still be an 'electric' car? If it's the burning of fossil fuel in the car that's a problem, what if the IC engine ran on hydrogen. It would have no 'emissions' (as in global warming ones) and the wheels would be electric motor powered, so would it be an electric car? I ask, because on current 'electric' cars, unless you charge your batteries from solar, wind or wave power, then the power came from internal combustion initially.... you just aren't carrying the charger round!
Old 7 Jun 2012, 21:53 (Ref:3087174)   #6
crooky
Racer

crooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't heard anything about this for months now. Are they planning to run the car for a demo lap at Le Mans or was nothing ever mentioned?
Old 16 Jun 2012, 18:29 (Ref:3092392)   #7
Paceracing
Racer

Paceracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The project is very much alive and under development.

To answer earlier questions, a structural battery is new technology and BAE are one of many companies developing it. It is quite simply a structure that can hold a charge, (i.e. bodywork). It is not a conventional battery that has been shaped to the same form as bodywork however.

Wireless charging is inductive charging. i.e. two wire coils, one under the car, the other under the track at relatively short intervals. When the car passes over the coil, an electrical charge is induced into the coil in the coil in the car creating energy which is then stored in the structural batteries. The two combinations will mean electric cars that get their energy from coils in the ground. A long way off maybe before we see it on the M1 motorway but clever tech none-the-less.

Hope this helps.