Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 6 Jul 2012, 21:08 (Ref:3103020)   #1
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford - cast iron RACING crankshaft

Before any of you accuse me of being completely nuts please be assured that i am not talking about standard crossflow cast iron crankshafts.

My crank is a genuine Ford AVO crossflow Mk1 Fiesta crank - homologated for the so called Monte Carlo Fiesta driven by Ari Vatanen.

It's a proper racing crank - with counterbalance weights and cross drilled.

It's very obviously not made of the same cast iron as a standard production item and my race engineer (my Father) who is very old school (because he's even older than me) tells me tales about how cast iron - to the right specification - was used in aerospace long before Ford watchers decided (rightly) that it's sensible to dispose of the standard crank and go for a steel one if you want to go racing.

This crank just looks different and my Father tells me that very superior cast iron is a very suitable material for a racing crankshaft.

I also believe that Ford sold these cranks in vast quantities to the Hot Rod fraternity who had to comply with rules that required use of cranks made from the same material as the standard crank in the engine used. I believe that in Hot Rod racing these cranks were revved to 8500 rpm all day long - can anyone out there verify this?? Any old Hot Rodders out there from the right era??

So - my question - is this crank suitable for circuit racing?

I know all about the reasons why standard Ford crossflow (infact all Kent engine cranks) are unsuitable for racing but this is a different kettle of fish - am just finding it hard to accept that cast iron could be ok even tho my very highly qualified aerospace engineer father tells me it's fine.

Views????
Old 6 Jul 2012, 22:30 (Ref:3103049)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I can confirm that we used to rev most of those 1500/1600 Kent engines to 8500 in the old hot rod days and very rarely had a problem.
A well built 711M with a STD crank will put up with a fair bit of grief and I personally haven't seen one break unless it's been in a blow up or a FF where the flywheel continually hits the track starting a fracture.
As for "all day long" don't forget that hot rods are on and off the loud pedal all the time on the ovals so the dreaded resonance that causes a fracture to start is minimised. IIRC there were loads of cranks released by Ford for homologation purposes that even got into normal road cars on the assembly line in the day.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Jul 2012, 19:03 (Ref:3103425)   #3
tzei
Racer

Finland
Finland
tzei should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Mr. A. Vatanen has already abused it (or one alike) and it survived i'd say you are good to go.
Old 7 Aug 2012, 08:36 (Ref:3116983)   #4
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
as long as its well balanced it'll be fine . . . I use std Twin cam cranks and 1600 crossflow cranks and never had a problem revving to 7600 typically and to 8000 if I'm in a rush. making sure its balanced and running smoothly is key, same goes for anything else nailed to it.
Old 8 Aug 2012, 08:36 (Ref:3117471)   #5
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A standard late Toyota 4a-ge cast iron crank will rev to 8000RPM+ all day without issue so I can't see why not.
Old 8 Aug 2012, 19:32 (Ref:3117703)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
for 99% of applications its all over by 7500 anyway, so use it!
Old 9 Aug 2012, 06:06 (Ref:3117812)   #7
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Bassom View Post
A standard late Toyota 4a-ge cast iron crank will rev to 8000RPM+ all day without issue so I can't see why not.
Aren't they factory forged? (Like most 80's Performance Jap gear) Or did they change when the went to big journals
Either way you never hear of problems with them