Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 4 May 2017, 13:55 (Ref:3731002)   #1451
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
He is!

The simplest dictionary definition of 'dude' is 'man'.....
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dude
Old 4 May 2017, 15:04 (Ref:3731011)   #1452
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can confidently advise, based on my omnivorous reading of cowboy books as a boy (OK! That was a little while ago), that a 'dude' is a fancily dressed person from 'back East', and the term is contemptuous in meaning.

I suppose that Midgetman's 'senna' customer would qualify if he turned up in Tombstone dressed in his white suit. The six guns would soon be blazing around his red shoes as he danced a merry jig.

The Bauble Kid.
Old 4 May 2017, 23:45 (Ref:3731100)   #1453
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I know this a mostly racing forum....but sad to hear that Timo Makinen left us yesterday (4/5/17) - one of the original Flying Finns.......
Old 5 May 2017, 06:18 (Ref:3731127)   #1454
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hadn't heard that. Yes a true hero.
Old 5 May 2017, 06:52 (Ref:3731136)   #1455
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
The original 'Flying Finn', and a rallying legend- especially in Minis!

RIP Timo.
Old 5 May 2017, 18:43 (Ref:3731309)   #1456
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I know this a mostly racing forum....but sad to hear that Timo Makinen left us yesterday (4/5/17) - one of the original Flying Finns.......
It was announced as well yesterday that Sir John Whitmore had also passed away - another legend
Old 5 May 2017, 23:09 (Ref:3731363)   #1457
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by relativtortoise View Post
It was announced as well yesterday that Sir John Whitmore had also passed away - another legend
I, in turn, hadn't heard that - one of my heroes for his exploits in the unusual red with gold stripe liveried Lotus Cortina.......even painted my slot-car Cortina to match......

Sir John and Timo more-or-less the same age - both will be fondly remembered.......RIP.
Old 6 May 2017, 05:33 (Ref:3731399)   #1458
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
RIP Sir John, another touring car hero gone. British Champ in an 850cc Mini and European Champ in the AMR Cortina.
Old 6 May 2017, 08:53 (Ref:3731427)   #1459
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
.......even painted my slot-car Cortina to match......
Me too. RIP John.
Old 6 May 2017, 09:02 (Ref:3731430)   #1460
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I, in turn, hadn't heard that - one of my heroes for his exploits in the unusual red with gold stripe liveried Lotus Cortina.......even painted my slot-car Cortina to match......

Sir John and Timo more-or-less the same age - both will be fondly remembered.......RIP.
Revell do actually make an Alan Mann Lotus Cortina slot car.

Die-casts are available too - 1/43 by Minichamps, 1/18 by AutoArt, 1/86 (I think) by Oxford Diecast.
Old 6 May 2017, 14:54 (Ref:3731538)   #1461
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
So ,after nearly 50 years of circuit racing ,I try and do a Hillclimbe at Wiscombe Park . Don't ask 😖😖😖😖
Old 6 May 2017, 15:58 (Ref:3731576)   #1462
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh dear. Hope nothing serious happened.
Old 6 May 2017, 18:19 (Ref:3731671)   #1463
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by relativtortoise View Post
I used to see and speak to John a fair bit when he lived close to me in the UK, and last year I heard what had happened to him , however he did live a good life after racing and used to play squash very competitively at the school that my wife worked at. RIP John.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 May 2017, 19:04 (Ref:3731715)   #1464
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
So ,after nearly 50 years of circuit racing ,I try and do a Hillclimbe at Wiscombe Park . Don't ask 😖😖😖😖
Hmm it's a very different discipline. Go from the off, no chance to settle into it. And at Wiscombe the trees are very, very close....

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 6 May 2017, 22:42 (Ref:3731779)   #1465
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I did enjoy my day out at Wiscombe. It was nice to have Mrs Delta along as well as my son and our jack Russel Mylo. The magnito housing cracked on run down to the start line . I shall return next year but will take a spare Delta just in case . Must say everyone was very nice and helpfull . Well worth the journey down
Old 7 May 2017, 06:18 (Ref:3731861)   #1466
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Folks, I've copied some of your Sir John Whitmore posts over to the Tribute forum.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 7 May 2017, 19:24 (Ref:3732022)   #1467
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
A cushion? I suggest several- in fact, wrap yourself in them!

Seriously, the sliding pillars at the front end 'stick', and there is no droop. The rear live axle has minimal travel, and as above chassis, no ability to drop. The chassis flexing does most work.......

All the above makes them great track cars.......
Had a good day out in the Morgan, in fact. It was a 92 Plus 4, with only around 50K miles on it, and apparently some serious rear suspension mods....it did crash out in some of the (many) potholes, but whilst firm wasn't genereally uncomfortable - although a bit cramped widthwise - juggling 4 OS maps, my slightly oversize clipboard, check sheet, and a Poti without interfering with my driver's gear-changing ability was a constant struggle

Fortunately the weather, whilst overcast, was dry, as the roof apparently consisted of an umbrella to be deployed in extremis....

The navigation - or more accurately decoding the Clerk of Course's devious directions - was a bit of a headache at times and we missed 4 out of 18 vias in the morning, but only 1 out of 18 in the afternoon, and we definitely weren't the worst, so an enjoyable day on the whole, although clambering out of the car after 150 miles would have been easier if I'd mastered the art of levitation - nothing much to grab hold of to lever oneself out

Already been invited to sit in with the driver on next year's event, though!
Old 7 May 2017, 19:55 (Ref:3732026)   #1468
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Had a good day out in the Morgan, in fact. It was a 92 Plus 4, with only around 50K miles on it, and apparently some serious rear suspension mods....it did crash out in some of the (many) potholes, but whilst firm wasn't genereally uncomfortable - although a bit cramped widthwise.

Already been invited to sit in with the driver on next year's event, though!
Serious rear suspension mods? There is a 4 link, panhard and coil over conversion to replace the leafs, but it's still a live axle with limited movement! The new ARV6 race cars have it factory fitted, and I was looking underneath one the other day. Very much a compromise...... What your man really needs is a alu tubbed, all independent, BMW powered Aero or new +8. Your back will recover from the rally far quicker!

PS- Glad you enjoyed it!
Old 8 May 2017, 07:59 (Ref:3732151)   #1469
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Serious rear suspension mods? There is a 4 link, panhard and coil over conversion to replace the leafs, but it's still a live axle with limited movement! The new ARV6 race cars have it factory fitted, and I was looking underneath one the other day. Very much a compromise...... What your man really needs is a alu tubbed, all independent, BMW powered Aero or new +8. Your back will recover from the rally far quicker!

PS- Glad you enjoyed it!
Get down to Brands Hatch on Bank Holiday Monday and see some serious competition when the MSCC hold their annual meeting there, Mogs galore in a range of styles, colours, performance. Proper racing with great sounding, and looking, cars.

And no! I am not a member or even a Morgan owner.
Old 8 May 2017, 09:11 (Ref:3732165)   #1470
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Get down to Brands Hatch on Bank Holiday Monday and see some serious competition when the MSCC hold their annual meeting there, Mogs galore in a range of styles, colours, performance. Proper racing with great sounding, and looking, cars.
There will indeed! There will also be at least two Mogs at BH on the Saturday of that w/end.....
Old 8 May 2017, 09:12 (Ref:3732166)   #1471
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Morgan make their (competition) name in rallies rather than on the circuits?

Quote:
Serious rear suspension mods? There is a 4 link, panhard and coil over conversion to replace the leafs, but it's still a live axle with limited movement! The new ARV6 race cars have it factory fitted, and I was looking underneath one the other day. Very much a compromise......
What your man really needs is a alu tubbed, all independent, BMW powered Aero or new +8. Your back will recover from the rally far quicker!

PS- Glad you enjoyed it!
And I'm told that the ARV6 cars handle extremely well by a mate of mine who races one, and the same (ford) engine as in the Ginetta G50).

I think this would be my Morgan of choice,

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/11/...n-gt3-machine/

Last edited by andy97; 8 May 2017 at 09:20.
Old 8 May 2017, 09:24 (Ref:3732167)   #1472
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Didn't Morgan make their (competition) name in rallies rather than on the circuits?
Possibly- in the pre war era when rallies weren't 'timed stages' like they are now! Lots of pics of them in club racing in the 50/60s, and of course that famous LM 24 class win in 62 or whenever, from which success the SLR was born...

There was a serious attempt at rallying a +4 in more recent times. Rick Bourne, ex Brands Hatch Morgans owner, was heavily involved.

Totally agree- that car is the dogs wotsits..... all Mogs handle pretty well on smooth tarmac, where limited travel isn't a hindrance!
Old 8 May 2017, 09:41 (Ref:3732169)   #1473
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't help feeling that Morgan should reintroduce an SLR or "Plus 4 Plus" style body on the newer aluminium aero8 type chassis.
Old 8 May 2017, 11:23 (Ref:3732194)   #1474
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It would be more profitable to "discover" that an unfinished run of SLRs was laid down and never completed due to Dutch Elm Disease in the chassis or something. These totally original 1962 cars can then be released in a strictly limited batch made of modern elm or whatever at a huge profit margin with guaranteed HTPs.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 8 May 2017, 11:28 (Ref:3732195)   #1475
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Like it, Max.