Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 1 Dec 2014, 02:05 (Ref:3480544)   #126
blizard
Rookie

blizard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should put the rollcage on the outside
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlhV0P1_tm4
Old 1 Dec 2014, 02:52 (Ref:3480554)   #127
The Realist
Racer

The Realist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Realist
These Actyon Utes with a high centre of gravity, high profile tyres, and high ground clearance are a recipe for needing "This Way Up" signage on them.
They may make a good spectator class after all. Not long to wait now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
You may have to eat your hat yet my friend, believe me we have had a lot of "off" and they don't look like tripping over, least so far.

There is one consistent message coming from all the people that have driven them in anger so far, and that is how well they handle considering what they are.

The old adage is "don't knock it unless you have tried it" holds true for these unlikely race vehicles.
Would you like sauce with your meal sir.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 04:24 (Ref:3480576)   #128
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Realist
These Actyon Utes with a high centre of gravity, high profile tyres, and high ground clearance are a recipe for needing "This Way Up" signage on them.
They may make a good spectator class after all. Not long to wait now.

Would you like sauce with your meal sir.
I did qualify my comment by adding, at least not yet! So one very inexperienced driver managed to launch one by not counter steering, but "one Swallow a summer does not make"

Many spectators made their way down to the SRS pit area on Sunday afternoon saying what awesome racing the Ssangyong utes provided, so the positives far outweigh the negatives LIMO, but I guess I would say that wouldn't I.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 04:56 (Ref:3480580)   #129
The Realist
Racer

The Realist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I did qualify my comment by adding, at least not yet! So one very inexperienced driver managed to launch one by not counter steering, but "one Swallow a summer does not make"

Many spectators made their way down to the SRS pit area on Sunday afternoon saying what awesome racing the Ssangyong utes provided, so the positives far outweigh the negatives LIMO, but I guess I would say that wouldn't I.
I'll qualify my bit too.
Would you like to upsize that Roll with fries and sauce.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 06:12 (Ref:3480601)   #130
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who was it that rolled? And what caused it?
Also, are they really racing with tonneau covers?
Old 1 Dec 2014, 06:39 (Ref:3480611)   #131
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwhk View Post
Who was it that rolled? And what caused it?
Also, are they really racing with tonneau covers?
Ben Forrest was the driver of the ute, and unfortunately for Ben he made the mistake of of not realizing that he needed to wind some lock of his ute when it first pitched up on two wheels over the left hand curbing of the back straight Chicane.

And yes we really do race with Tonneau cover's in place.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 08:57 (Ref:3480658)   #132
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Now, roll over! Good boy! Who's a good boy!?"

Old 1 Dec 2014, 18:40 (Ref:3480822)   #133
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HProject View Post
"Now, roll over! Good boy! Who's a good boy!?"

It actually sorta looks better after that?
Old 30 Jan 2016, 19:48 (Ref:3609374)   #134
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How is the sequential transmission tryout going with the ute?
Old 31 Jan 2016, 06:11 (Ref:3609809)   #135
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOGH View Post
How is the sequential transmission tryout going with the ute?
Very well GHOGH thank you, we did two test's at Pukekohe prior to Hampton Downs with Gene Rollinson, and Alexandra Whitley in order to optimise the gear ratio's, and over this weekend we ran it off the back of the grid with Rick Cooper [the MD of Ssangyong NZ] evaluating it from a lay-man's perspective.

The ratio's were perfect and the only issue we had is that the stock clutch plate sprung plate gave up the ghost and disintegrated. However, we are confident that going to a solid clutch plate with ceramic puck's will solve that issue.

We hope to make a decision after the Manfeild round in two weeks time if we are going to introduce it for next season, and if thats is the case then we would probably introduce it in time for the winter Enduro's as we have very strong interest from the majority of our 28 regular competitors about doing a special 2 Hour SsangYong Ute Series enduro at all 3 rounds of the Nordec Series.

We will also introduce a new DOT rated tyre at the same time, and would expect to see lap times drop by about 2-3 seconds a lap at Hampton Downs with a combination of the DOT rated tyres and the sequential gearbox. this would get us down to the 1.26's at HD which is pretty respectable in terms of what many of the other low cost categories do around that circuit, such as the BMW's etc.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 03:44 (Ref:3630074)   #136
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Very well GHOGH thank you, we did two test's at Pukekohe prior to Hampton Downs with Gene Rollinson, and Alexandra Whitley in order to optimise the gear ratio's, and over this weekend we ran it off the back of the grid with Rick Cooper [the MD of Ssangyong NZ] evaluating it from a lay-man's perspective.
Interested to know why you decided on a 4 speed sequential rather than a 5 speed?
Old 4 Apr 2016, 19:24 (Ref:3630333)   #137
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
Interested to know why you decided on a 4 speed sequential rather than a 5 speed?
CDM,

The reality is that we only use at most 3 gears [2/3/4] of the original 5 speed gearbox, because 1st is to low and 5th is overdriven, less than 1 to 1, so when we plotted the torque curve and the rev drop between the gear's etc, it soon became apparent that by optimising the gap between the ratio's, with a 1 to 1 top gear, that 4 gears was all we needed, as even with a 1 to 1 top gear, we are a long way from the redline in top gear even at Pukekohe without the rear chicane. So pretty simple decision really given the engines lack of horsepower, and its heavy flywheel etc.

The issue we have had and continue to have is the very high maintenance of the gear change components within the gearbox when subject to the torture and abuse most of our drivers were giving these components trying to flat shift the standard transmission.

The sequential transmission dog engagement gear-train is designed to be flat shifted and also has an electronic sensor in the gear linkage to momentarily kill the ignition when the gear change is made so that should also help reduce wear on the dog's themselves.

Back to back testing at Taupo with Gene Rollinson, running off the back of the field in two races, proved that there is just under a second gain in lap times with the new gearboxes, so that's an added bonus as we made the change in the interest of reliability and minimising maintenance, not to make the utes faster.

We also tested some Hankook DOT rated tyre's at the same time and these gave a huge gain of some 3 seconds, however, we are unlikely to use such tyre's in the future because at the end of the day, its about racing a ute as close as it can be made suitable safe for racing with what you can buy off the showroom floor.

"Utes have large diameter tyres as standard, not small diameter tyre's that look like Space Savours tyre's" to quote our Chairman Rick Cooper. So large diameter SUV tyre's will remain in the official SRS Championship whilst some ute owners will no doubt use the much faster DOT rated tyre's in the up coming Enduro Series and or club racing.

Last edited by Mark Petch; 4 Apr 2016 at 19:46.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 21:01 (Ref:3634618)   #138
Kiwi race fan
Rookie

Kiwi race fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any truth in the rumour the SARS series coordinator punched out one of the SARS series sponsors at pukekohe at the weekend
Old 18 Apr 2016, 23:15 (Ref:3634649)   #139
Bitsa7
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
Bitsa7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

That sounds rather juicy! *Grabs Popcorn and sits quietly waiting for more*
Old 19 Apr 2016, 06:12 (Ref:3634708)   #140
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi race fan View Post
Any truth in the rumour the SARS series coordinator punched out one of the SARS series sponsors at pukekohe at the weekend
Well???

Just tried to look at their website to see the sponsors but its way out of date, the most recent results are dated 12 April 2015! Useless!

I see that the TV coverage has SsangYong & LDV, the website also lists Elf lubricants as a partner, and also dont they have BNZ Finance?

So don't just tease us with half a story!!
Old 20 Apr 2016, 04:48 (Ref:3635017)   #141
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Firstly, congratulations to Jaden Dodge on winning the championship etc. I hope he carries on and maybe finds some additional funds to take him another step if that's what he wants. Good on him anyway, it was actually a pretty entertaining series with a decent grid for a change.

Secondly, shoving somebody away who is getting in your face is not "decking" them and the abusive foul mouthed guy in question was not a sponsor of the series at all, rather a self-opinionated loud mouth sticking his nose into other people's business where it was not wanted.

Just to clear that up.

OT but I see they have sealed the new section of track at HD now, can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 20 Apr 2016, 05:12 (Ref:3635021)   #142
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Firstly, congratulations to Jaden Dodge on winning the championship etc. I hope he carries on and maybe finds some additional funds to take him another step if that's what he wants. Good on him anyway, it was actually a pretty entertaining series with a decent grid for a change.

Secondly, shoving somebody away who is getting in your face is not "decking" them and the abusive foul mouthed guy in question was not a sponsor of the series at all, rather a self-opinionated loud mouth sticking his nose into other people's business where it was not wanted.

Just to clear that up.

OT but I see they have sealed the new section of track at HD now, can't wait to see the finished product!
I raced in the Utes and would like to say I found the series to be very good. After the first round I did I pondered continuing in the series due to some interesting driving.

The class then but a drivers standards process in place and cameras in all the vehicles which cleared it all up. I raced the next 2 rounds

My view

1 jayden dodge well done the boy had talent. Rowan shepherd showed great conisistency and drove well. I think he surprised a few runners

2. Parity. I believe the class was very close and the Utes all seemed very close. I know when I started pushing into the top 10 my ute was well checked

3. Sponsors well I only had great responses from Rick, Deon and Mark and his band of supporters. Punch up I'm not sure on I wasn't there but I never saw anything close to that and most of the sponsors where treated extremely well with a great BBQ at each round the sponsors could attend.

4. Next year. If I can get a sponsor who likes the TV coverage that the Utes receive I'll be back running again. They really helped me improve my driving style and pushed me to be better as a driver. The top 10 drivers are all good drivers and I've only raced 20 meetings in my life and I think I showed some raw pace even getting a fastest sector in a race.

I went in with a bit of a negative view but after being part of it I'd rate it for any driver who wants good coverage for a sponsor and decent running costs. Parts were so cheap thanks to the factory support from Ssangyong and they were helpful in getting me faster.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 22:07 (Ref:3673820)   #143
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Any news on the next season?
Old 18 Oct 2016, 12:01 (Ref:3681085)   #144
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post
Any news on the next season?
Hi Fergus,

You will be pleased to know we are still alive and kicking.

The Ssangyong Actyon Sport Racing Series Championship runs over 6 Sprint Rounds, starting as one of the 4 support categories to the Virgin Australian Supercar round at Pukekohe this year and concluding at the end of March next year at Pukekohe.

The big new is Ssangyong's new 5 year partnership with Pukekohe Park raceway which see's Turn One being officially named the Ssangyong Sweeper, plus significant Ssangyong signage, on both foot bridges, as well as taking over the circuits most prominent former Jennen Homes Turn One billboard.

We can confirm that all 30 SSangyong Race utes will run at Pukekohe, with the following confirmed driver's which includes 4 female drivers.

Christina Orr
Hayden Johnston
Trey Nairn
Matt Gibson
Todd Prujean
Alexandra Whitley
Paul Morris
Ken Hunter
Daniel Connor
Blake Harris
Mark Mallard
Morgan Foster
Ben Forrest
Cain Lobb
Murray Brook
Anthony Allen
Rowan Sheppard
Mark Enson
Royce Rollinson
Kirk Stoneman
Kieron Rollinson
Bronwyn Leech
Ryan Bailey
Callum Hedge
Joel Herbert
Sheryl Hanright
Peter Bennett R1
Graeme Hodgson
Erik Wood
Old 18 Oct 2016, 23:08 (Ref:3681230)   #145
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Hi Fergus,

You will be pleased to know we are still alive and kicking.

The Ssangyong Actyon Sport Racing Series Championship runs over 6 Sprint Rounds, starting as one of the 4 support categories to the Virgin Australian Supercar round at Pukekohe this year and concluding at the end of March next year at Pukekohe.

The big new is Ssangyong's new 5 year partnership with Pukekohe Park raceway which see's Turn One being officially named the Ssangyong Sweeper, plus significant Ssangyong signage, on both foot bridges, as well as taking over the circuits most prominent former Jennen Homes Turn One billboard.

We can confirm that all 30 SSangyong Race utes will run at Pukekohe, with the following confirmed driver's which includes 4 female drivers.

Christina Orr
Hayden Johnston
Trey Nairn
Matt Gibson
Todd Prujean
Alexandra Whitley
Paul Morris
Ken Hunter
Daniel Connor
Blake Harris
Mark Mallard
Morgan Foster
Ben Forrest
Cain Lobb
Murray Brook
Anthony Allen
Rowan Sheppard
Mark Enson
Royce Rollinson
Kirk Stoneman
Kieron Rollinson
Bronwyn Leech
Ryan Bailey
Callum Hedge
Joel Herbert
Sheryl Hanright
Peter Bennett R1
Graeme Hodgson
Erik Wood
Velocity News article on Paul "the Dude" Morris, entry in the Takinini Ssangyong Star Car for the Australian Supercar round at Pukekohe.

http://www.velocitynews.co.nz/news.php?id=884
Old 27 Oct 2016, 10:43 (Ref:3683339)   #146
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for all the information- that's a fantastic entry, should be spectacular for anyone at Pukekohe next weekend! Sadly no way of watching from the UK.
Old 31 Oct 2016, 02:55 (Ref:3684182)   #147
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks for all the information- that's a fantastic entry, should be spectacular for anyone at Pukekohe next weekend! Sadly no way of watching from the UK.
Always the live timing, races are on youtube at times delayed.
Old 2 Nov 2016, 01:07 (Ref:3684667)   #148
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOGH View Post
Always the live timing, races are on youtube at times delayed.
Saw a few of the races last year on YouTube, hoping for the same!

A few cars have been testing in the UK recently ahead of a new series starting next year, one of them was intending on racing last weekend but rolled at the first corner of qualifying...
Old 2 Nov 2016, 17:36 (Ref:3684806)   #149
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Saw a few of the races last year on YouTube, hoping for the same!

A few cars have been testing in the UK recently ahead of a new series starting next year, one of them was intending on racing last weekend but rolled at the first corner of qualifying...

O'Dear, must have been taking to much kerb I suspect!

The UK importer decided that they knew best, so have done there own thing which is somewhat disappointing, because we could have both capitalised on having our Series winner compete in their final and Vice Versa.

It will be interesting to see if they can actually get the Series up and running strongly, as it requires a lot of financial support to make it all happen, and the market in the UK, in terms of the number of SSangyong utes sold is less than little old NZed!
Old 2 Nov 2016, 21:06 (Ref:3684861)   #150
Tal Aras
Racer

United Kingdom
Slough
Tal Aras should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
O'Dear, must have been taking to much kerb I suspect!
No, slid sideways into Paddock Hill gravel trap and rolled there. Got three quarters of the way over and finished on its side.