Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 May 2005, 18:42 (Ref:1311817)   #1
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A brief hello...

Well, after lurking in a sinister, anonymous way on these forums for quite some time, I felt it behove me to at least make a proper introduction, so here goes....

My name is James Wiseman, and I am an alfaholic..

Well, to be more precise, I've been racing various Alfas for the last 7 years or so. Fairly sporadically, for various reasons. used to race a 1964 Alfa Giulia Sprint Speciale, and for the last two seasons, a 1960 Giulietta SZ, which I'm in the process of getting to grips with and tweaking at the moment. I've raced in HSCC, Gentleman Drivers, and Top Hat, amongst others.

This year I'm mainly out in Top Hat, having done Castle Combe and Donington (very slippery!). But am hopefully out at Spa, (can't do Chimay this year - clashes with wife's birthday! ) and then with Gentleman Drivers at the very end of the season at Magny-Cours...

Oh, and for the last two years I've designed and looked after Top Hat's website...

Looking ofrward to contributing here (hopefully), and maybe even meeting some of you in due course - if i haven't already!

Regards,

James
Old 27 May 2005, 19:01 (Ref:1311826)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hi James,

Welcome to our friendly forum.

I suspect you'll recognise me as one of those hooligan 70's saloon racers from Top Hat.

I'm no longer a moderator of this particular forum so I can also be a hooligan in here.

Donington was so slippery that it wasn't until the race that I discovered my rev limiter had broken after being hit by a wayward Mustang in practice and I was about 1k rpm down on max!

If you look around the forum you'll find I've started the Spa 6 hours thread.

Ooh, forgot to mention. Good work with the TH website.
Old 28 May 2005, 11:57 (Ref:1312425)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, welcome , James - the more threaders on historics, the better
Old 28 May 2005, 12:45 (Ref:1312476)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Hi James and welcome, oh I like the Top Hat site you obviously have a great talent in that area.
Old 28 May 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1312562)   #5
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the welcome, guys - much appreciated!

Saw you out at Donington, I think, Peter - Good fun. Hope the series can sustain interest, going forward - 70s has got to be the way to go (now, where can I find a nice Alfa GTV6...)

Will look at the Spa thread, too - haven't race there for a while, so am looking forward to it - and the beer. Tell me, do they still play excrutiatingly bad Europop over the PA system?

Regards,

James
Old 28 May 2005, 14:51 (Ref:1312634)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRacer
Thanks for the welcome, guys - much appreciated!

Saw you out at Donington, I think, Peter - Good fun. Hope the series can sustain interest, going forward - 70s has got to be the way to go (now, where can I find a nice Alfa GTV6...)
Yes I hope so too. It'll take a couple of seasons but with the Rovers becoming soo much more competitive in the CTCRC I can see a few drivers coming over to this. The Rovers can't run to the CTCRC spec in 70's.

Oh gawd not another GTV6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRacer
Will look at the Spa thread, too - haven't race there for a while, so am looking forward to it - and the beer. Tell me, do they still play excrutiatingly bad Europop over the PA system?

Regards,

James
Excrutiatingly bad? Methinks you understate your case too much.
Old 31 May 2005, 06:36 (Ref:1315370)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hi James, as a fellow Alfaholic I have had some battles with you in the past! I didnt realize that you were behind julius' website - sadly I am not out in Gentleman Drivers this year as I am concentrating on Carol's other series, sports racer series but I am potentially working on something that will see me out there again as I really enjoy her races. Spa is still tacky music, dogs in the paddock and all the other great things about european circuits. Likr you I am having to miss Chimay as it clashes with Brands Hatch Super Prix and I can get a 40 minute race there with only 2 hour journey to the track! I am doing Spa but the 6 Hour race rather than Carols but I will look to go to Magny Cours as its my birthday weekend!
Old 4 Jun 2005, 18:10 (Ref:1320067)   #8
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
Re: A Brief Hello...

Hi Simon,

Sorry for the delay in replying - been a bit tied up this week.

We have indeed raced against each other in the past....and I was in the pit garage behind your car at Top hat Donington. Saw you going out into the torrential rain, and must admit, was glad to be in a closed car!!

Glad to hear Spa is still the same as ever.....

Magny-Cours should be a fab race, albeit late in the year (chance of snow?)

Hope to see you out on track later in the season!

Just got my first ever Goodwood Revival invitation to race, so am feeling well chuffed!

Regards,

James

P.S. Thanks all for the nice comments regarding the Top Hat website. Julius and I hope to make it even better in the next few months, so keep checking it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
Hi James, as a fellow Alfaholic I have had some battles with you in the past! I didnt realize that you were behind julius' website - sadly I am not out in Gentleman Drivers this year as I am concentrating on Carol's other series, sports racer series but I am potentially working on something that will see me out there again as I really enjoy her races. Spa is still tacky music, dogs in the paddock and all the other great things about european circuits. Likr you I am having to miss Chimay as it clashes with Brands Hatch Super Prix and I can get a 40 minute race there with only 2 hour journey to the track! I am doing Spa but the 6 Hour race rather than Carols but I will look to go to Magny Cours as its my birthday weekend!

Last edited by SZRacer; 4 Jun 2005 at 18:11. Reason: mistakes!
Old 4 Jun 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1320159)   #9
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Excrutiatingly bad? Methinks you understate your case too much.
An understatement for Spa?
Can't be, can it?
They have finally found a second tape, even worse.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 21:53 (Ref:1320190)   #10
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
And here it is......

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...834769-9940908

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
An understatement for Spa?
Can't be, can it?
They have finally found a second tape, even worse.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 21:53 (Ref:1320191)   #11
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's my first race at Spa next weekend and I was thoroughly looking forward to it. But if there's one thing I hate, it's excruciatigly bad muzak. Bah humbug!

Last edited by midgetman; 4 Jun 2005 at 21:53. Reason: Carnt speel
Old 5 Jun 2005, 05:23 (Ref:1320316)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
So remove the radio from your car then.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 07:28 (Ref:1320351)   #13
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It looks a long way from Eau Rouge to Les Combes in an MG Midget, what else is a chap to do? No, on second thoughts, don't answer that :-)
Old 6 Jun 2005, 08:32 (Ref:1321130)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
Spa is still ........ dogs in the paddock .........!
I did a double take when I saw that comment. Is it really true? How do you, as competitors, feel about that?
Old 6 Jun 2005, 08:54 (Ref:1321140)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
it was a big culture shock the first time when I almost ran one over coming in after a qually!
Old 6 Jun 2005, 08:56 (Ref:1321141)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

what car are you taking to Goodwood?
Old 6 Jun 2005, 11:51 (Ref:1321258)   #17
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Hi James

I must have raced with you then, although I havent done much racing this year due to teething problems, but hopefully they're now history!

I do like the TopHat website, small world! we we've been printing roundels for Top Hat as well, some people have even fitted them to their cars !
Old 6 Jun 2005, 14:00 (Ref:1321368)   #18
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
Hi Zeffarelly,

I'm sure we probably have raced against each other, although I did precious little racing of my own car in the last two years, due to time/money/getting married etc. constraints...have co-driven Nick Savage's Alfa GTA in Top Hat races a few times as well, including twice at Chimay. He's threatened to give me a co-drive in his Alfa 2600 at Spa - am started on the course of bicep curls at the gym, in preparation...

Am gradually getting the SZ right, hopefully....although 'shaking down' a car in races is not ideal..!

So far...at Castle Combe had enough power but major flat spot. Also no grip at the rear, due to taking the wrong advice and fitting stiffer rear springs. Sorted that, but had no power at Donington, and old tyres certainly did not help my spinning quotient. But...am getting there, and getting to grips with the car (which is a revelation compared to my last Alfa - you can see why they were so successful in road racing in period), albeit slowly!

By the way, I think the Top Hat roundels are actually quite nice (can't understand why people don't put them on) - although having a new, unified sponsor's sticker is much better, and Julius's stickers seem to be a better quality of print than a lot I've seen, as a print quality afficionado....(sad b*stard, I know!). Are they all down to you?

Regards,

James

P.S. Simon, I'm (hopefully) driving the SZ at Goodwood, subject to it surviving 'till then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
Hi James

I must have raced with you then, although I havent done much racing this year due to teething problems, but hopefully they're now history!

I do like the TopHat website, small world! we we've been printing roundels for Top Hat as well, some people have even fitted them to their cars !
Old 6 Jun 2005, 14:03 (Ref:1321369)   #19
simon drabble
Veteran

has Paul Gregory still got his? If so is he going to take that as well? If not you did well jumping the queue!!!
Old 6 Jun 2005, 14:55 (Ref:1321425)   #20
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
James

We've done some stickers, Julius prefers screened stickers, and I agree with him, but we're a manufacturer of signs ( care delarships, shop fronts etc) and don't do screening any more so we won't do the unified stickers, which are much better,
the roundels are printed not screened, its a tough call whether screening would be better, the danger is that you'd loose the continuity without Nos on them.
most of our stuff is designed to last 3,5 or ten years so its not cost effective for a race car really. as with everything these days theres too much choice and everything has to be cheap . . .at the expense of quality usually.

back on topic, I know exactly how you feel, for various reasons we shakedown during racing as well, not ideal, but its the best we can do, and we're getting competitive so we must be doing something right! once we resolve the reliability issues and get our FiA papers issued we can safely say we've arrived, and off our own backs, not with a cheque book!
Old 6 Jun 2005, 14:57 (Ref:1321429)   #21
simon drabble
Veteran

zef did you do the V12 stickers - they are bl00 die hard to peel off afterwards ;-( !!
Old 6 Jun 2005, 15:03 (Ref:1321438)   #22
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
yes I did . . . . .use a hairdryer Simon, makes it easy

(i know you keep one in the car!!!)
Old 6 Jun 2005, 15:04 (Ref:1321442)   #23
simon drabble
Veteran

damn my secret is out!!
Old 6 Jun 2005, 15:39 (Ref:1321464)   #24
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
well we've all done it . . .the windswept bouffant makes you look faster !

Peter obviously had the most powerful hairdryer
Old 6 Jun 2005, 16:43 (Ref:1321521)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
That my friend is a solar panel for a sex machine.