Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 22 Apr 2006, 14:23 (Ref:1591841)   #1
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Marshal Fatality at Oulton Park

I was shocked to hear that a marshal at the bike test day at Oulton Park on 21/4/06 was killed when an out of control bike cleared the barrier at Lodge and hit the guy.

The news is pretty sparse (not surprisingly) but it proves once again that we can never be too careful when taking part in the sport we love so much. Just because we are standing behind the tyres and armco does not make us impervious to danger.

That's why I ran away from the Druid's In flag point last Saturday - because I didn't know where that FFord was going to end up, and he was aiming straight for the tyres in front of me. There was laughter from the others - but doesn't this sort of thing sober us all up?

My other half, Bill, does occasional track days at Oulton (although he only does Bikes if he must). Yet another potential wake up call to us all to remember to be careful. If he had been at Oulton yesterday could I have been the recipient of a dreaded phone call?

Anyway, sad enough news without knowing who the poor guy was. Might get even worse when they release a name. This is the start of a new season so let us all just take a few moments to remind ourselves of our first priority every time we get out on post and don't let complacency kick in as the season goes on. (This purely meant as a safety reminder.)

And condolences to the family of the poor marshal involved.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 14:50 (Ref:1591855)   #2
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously, all of us will be deeply shocked by this incident and our thoughts are with the close relatives and Family. The Test Day was organised by BMRMC and is reported on the MotorSportVision web site, under the Oulton Park section.
From personal experience, motor cycle incidents tend to be more serious for Marshals, although cars are serious enough. Last year one bike reared up at Paddock Bend (BH) infront of the Marshals Post and was only held back by the additional debris fencing erected for the CART Meeting. They had to use a JCB/Manito to retrieve the bike!!
Old 22 Apr 2006, 15:03 (Ref:1591863)   #3
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's dreadful news and my thoughts go out to all involved

By way of correction the MSV site says that the event was organised by MCRCB not our own BMRMC.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 15:15 (Ref:1591870)   #4
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, Piglet - dyslexic memory from the MSV site to the 10/10ths!!
Old 22 Apr 2006, 15:43 (Ref:1591897)   #5
happyhammer
Rookie

United Kingdom
Poole
happyhammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was shocked and saddened to hear this disturbing news. I would like to express my sympathy for the friends and family of the marshal involved.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 16:36 (Ref:1591915)   #6
Whitestar
Rookie

England
England
Whitestar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a marshal that does both cars and bikes, I know the dangers both groups of marshals take. So I send my sympathy and condolences to the family, friends and fellow marshals of Racesafe
Old 22 Apr 2006, 16:38 (Ref:1591919)   #7
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Shelagh says, a sobering warning to us all of the dangers we face. Sincere condolances to the marshal's family and friends.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 17:34 (Ref:1591950)   #8
Crew Chief
Rookie

Crew Chief should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm as shocked as everyone to hear this very sad news, my thoughts go out to the marshal's family and friends.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 17:37 (Ref:1591951)   #9
gwar
Racer

gwar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is absolutley shocking news, our deepest sympathies to his family and all those involved...still finding it hard to believe this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archaic gold
Last year one bike reared up at Paddock Bend (BH) infront of the Marshals Post and was only held back by the additional debris fencing erected for the CART Meeting. They had to use a JCB/Manito to retrieve the bike!!
Myself(tony) and my partner(wendy) were one of 4 marshalls on that post that day at brands, we were all very lucky, the bike was only hanging on that fence by its footpeg..and leaking fuel.
Allways plan your escape route and watch.

This is a very big shock.......please watch yourselfs people.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 17:40 (Ref:1591956)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What terrible news, and it feally puts everything into perspective. May I add my sympathies to those already expressed.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 18:06 (Ref:1591979)   #11
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad news unfortunately travels fast,
I have just been told about the incident from a friend who had seen a BBC on line news item
linked here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/4934098.stm

All my thoughts and condolences with family and friends of the marshal involved,
Old 22 Apr 2006, 18:21 (Ref:1591991)   #12
Mondeo Man33
Racer

Mondeo Man33 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is unbelievably bad news.

It's not long since I stopped doing the test days at Oulton myself, so my thoughts go out to the family and friends, and the other marshals at Oulton who must be devastated by this tragedy
Old 22 Apr 2006, 18:22 (Ref:1591993)   #13
ian_c_uk
Racer

United Kingdom
J5 M61
ian_c_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My thoughts go to family and friends of the marshal we lost today...

Old 22 Apr 2006, 18:23 (Ref:1591996)   #14
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
mitzi dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could someone please pass on my condolances to that marshalls family, from the Taupo flag marshalls in NZ. we had a death at our track last Sunday morning early, one of the super mini racers passed on a shock to us all. Sorry guys for your loss. ROB
Old 22 Apr 2006, 18:36 (Ref:1592006)   #15
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dreadful news,sincere condolences to all concerned .
Old 22 Apr 2006, 18:49 (Ref:1592013)   #16
motorsportmarshal61
Veteran

United Kingdom
The Doug Austin Marshal Of The Year 2009
motorsportmarshal61 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ive just got back from marshaling the wirral 100 bike meeting at oulton park today
it was a very solemn day to say the least at lunch we had a minute silence
which was on pit straight with most of todays marshals more things were said about the accident today but its not for us to comment all our thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends
Old 22 Apr 2006, 19:29 (Ref:1592028)   #17
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I heard the news on the radio this morning.
We all know the risks but really don't expect it ever to happen.
Very sad day for us all and my condolances go to family and friends of our fallen "Hero"
Old 22 Apr 2006, 19:32 (Ref:1592033)   #18
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thats the 3rd bit of tragic news i've had this week, and i seriously hope its the last I feel empty right now - My deepest sympathies go to all those involved...
Old 22 Apr 2006, 19:43 (Ref:1592047)   #19
JLD
Racer

JLD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My sympathies go out to the marshal's family and friends.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 19:48 (Ref:1592051)   #20
pit bull
Racer

United Kingdom
In the pit lane, Cheshire
pit bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On behalf of the BMMC North committee, I would like to pass on our condolances to his family and friends, a very tragic loss.

Some say he spent it on fags, some say he exchanged it for a traffic light air freshner for his race car. all we know is he's called PIT BULL! :)[/QUOTE]
Old 22 Apr 2006, 20:57 (Ref:1592097)   #21
motorsportmarshal61
Veteran

United Kingdom
The Doug Austin Marshal Of The Year 2009
motorsportmarshal61 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MotorSport Vision regrets to report that a marshal tragically lost his life late yesterday afternoon, Friday April 21, at Oulton Park circuit after being hit by an out of control motorcycle during a test day organised by MCRCB.

The rider of a 1000cc Yamaha R1 motorcycle lost control under braking for Lodge corner and came off the bike, which then bounced into the air and struck a track marshal, who sustained fatal injuries.

The rider of the motorcycle was uninjured.

MotorSport Vision Chief Executive Jonathan Palmer commented: "This was an extremely tragic accident and we are desperately sorry that someone should lose their life serving the sport they loved. We extend our deepest sympathies to the marshal's family and friends. The precise circumstances are being fully investigated but it appears that this was a freak accident that happened when the marshal was at his flag marshal post."

this is just off the msv website above
the hero marshal was named today at the meeting to us all
and he was on flag point in on lodge which was today moved back towards the gap and also a new flag point used on the infield near the gate
Old 22 Apr 2006, 21:01 (Ref:1592099)   #22
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Very bad news, I heard it on the radio on the way back from Torquay today, shocking thing to happen, my condolences to his family and friends. Just goes to inforce the fact what a great job you people do for us.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 22 Apr 2006 at 21:03.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 21:10 (Ref:1592105)   #23
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wearing my official "hat" as Secretary of BMMC Midlands Centre - on behalf of all of the Committee I offer sincere condolences to the family and friends of a fellow marshal.

Wearing my unofficial "hat" as a pit marshal who has worked with Racesafe marshals at a bike GP - guys and gals, my deepest personal sympathies to you all. I know what a close knit community you are but you made an "outsider" more than welcome and I feel for you all.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 21:14 (Ref:1592109)   #24
badgeman62
Racer

United Kingdom
chester
badgeman62 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
absolute tragic news.sincere condolences to his family.
i dont think words can really describe the true sorrow we all feel.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1592113)   #25
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*words fail me*